Other XY OU Pokemon of the Week #4: Reuniclus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Magnemite here bringing everyone the next Pokemon of the Week! I will be working with TRC. for the future of Pokemon of the Week; we will create the article together and alternate in posting it in the Overused forum.

The XY OU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Overused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the OU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed. we need to make this point clear. Think of this like an article introducing you to a new threat that you can use; and try it out! Oh yeah, you can also VM one of us what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats, such as Chesnaught, Krookodile, or Cofagrigus.

This week's Pokemon of the Week is Reuniclus.

Type: Psychic
Base Stats: 110 HP / 65 Atk / 75 Def / 125 SpA / 85 SpD / 30 Spe
Ability: Overcoat / Magic Guard / Regenerator
Reuniclus is a unique Pokemon in that it can be great against either Hyper Offense or Stall depending on which set it is running. Fast and frail Hyper Offense teams are "outsped" and demolished by the Trick Room set, while offensively weak stall teams have a very tough time stopping its Calm Mind set. Reuniclus has great bulk coupled with an immunity to passive damage, which makes it it a threatrening sweeper. It is also one of the best answers to Mega Venusaur, which walls many offensive Pokemon to no end.

Unfortunately for Reuniclus, the XY OU metagame has not exactly been kind to it. All of its weaknesses are to great offensive types that have either been buffed or are found on Pokemon that were not present in the BW2 OU metagame. Aegislash, Genesect, Bisharp, and Mandibuzz, all of which are great checks or counters to Reuniclus, are new additions to OU and are quite common. In addition, stall has a new way of dealing with Calm Mind Reuniclus: Unaware Calm Mind Clefable, which can easily beat Reuniclus in a Calm Mind War. Its Calm Mind set is also incredibly slow and struggles to take powerful attacks repeatedly, so it doesn't function very well against offensive teams.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
IVs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fire

This set uses Reuniclus's high Special Attack, decent coverage, and access to Trick Room to turn fast-paced offensive teams on their heads. Very few offensive Pokemon have enough bulk to withstand Reuniclus's Life Orb-boosted attacks. While Shadow Ball hits Aegislash and bulky Psychic-types hard, Hidden Power Fire turns Reuniclus into a fantastic lure for Scizor and Genesect, two of its most common checks. The given EVs maximize Reuniclus's bulk and Special Attack. While it may seem like a better idea to maximize HP EVs, this spread accounts for Reuniclus's high HP stat, which makes it bulkier overall than 252 HP EVs would. 0 Speed IVs make Reuniclus as fast as possible under Trick Room. Life Orb is the preferred item on this set because it gives Reuniclus a 30% power boost without compromising its bulk, as Magic Guard prevents it from taking Life Orb recoil.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball
- Recover

Reuniclus is a great Calm Mind user thanks to its bulk, good immediate power, reliable recovery, and Magic Guard. Because it of this, stall teams have great trouble beating this set as it can boost up against them rather easily and simply recover off the small amounts of damage done to it. It can set up against many common stall Pokemon, particularly Mega Venusaur. However, this set tends to struggle against offensive teams, which can hit it harder than it can set up or Recover. Furthermore, unlike the Trick Room set, it doesn't really do too much to beat Reuniclus's common checks, especially Aegislash and Genesect. The listed EVs and nature maximize Reuniclus's physical bulk, as its special bulk is covered by Calm Mind and it can usually get enough boosts that it doesn't need any investment in Special Attack. Leftovers is the preferred item because it makes Reuniclus harder to wear down and helps mitigate Reuniclus's reliance on Recover.

Reuniclus doesn't have that many other options, but a set that could potentially work due to its ability Magic Guard is a Trick + Flame Orb set. Because of Magic Guard, Reuniclus doesn't suffer any of the downfalls of being burned; it doesn't take passive damage and it doesn't care about the Attack drop. However, it can use Trick to cripple a Pokemon that does hate being burned, such as Tyranitar or Scizor. A set with 3 attacks + Recover can work, but Reuniclus would miss out on the immense advantages it could obtain from either Trick Room or Calm Mind.

When using the Trick Room set, the teammates that would logically work best with Reuniclus are ones that benefit from Trick Room. Conkeldurr is slow, so it loves Trick Room, and it can also beat Tyranitar and Genesect when under the effects of Trick Room, making it an excellent ally. Tyranitar itself can make for an effective partner, as it is slow and it can Pursuit trap Latios, Latias, and Jirachi, who might otherwise be bulky enough to withstand even a super-effective Shadow Ball. As Scizor and Tyranitar are two of the biggest banes to Reuniclus, a partner that can swiftly eliminate these foes is greatly appreciated. Heatran, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard X or Y can all KO or severely weaken Scizor, while Terrakion, Landorus-T, Conkeldurr, and Infernape can all do a number to Tyranitar. Infernape in particular can deal with both with its STAB moves, but is generally a subpar choice in this metagame due to its poor bulk and in general, the fact that it rivals with faster, more powerful threats. Aegislash is also a top choice that can work well in Trick Room and can get rid of Latios, Latias, and Jirachi, as well as Clefable.

Sadly, Reuniclus has its fair share of checks and counters. Both Genesect and Scizor are very common and greatly threaten Reuniclus with their powerful STAB U-turn. However, if Trick Room is up, they are outsped and OHKOed if it has Hidden Power Fire. Tyranitar can trap Reuniclus with Pursuit, but it too is outsped and OHKOed under Trick Room, in this case by Focus Blast. Bisharp can't switch into a Focus Blast, but it can OHKO the Calm Mind set with Knock Off and the Trick Room set with either Sucker Punch or Knock Off. Mandibuzz is only hit neutrally by Focus Blast and can stall out the Trick Room set with Roost, but can struggle to take boosted Focus Blasts. Aegislash hits Reuniclus very hard with its Ghost-type STAB and resists Psychic and Psyshock and is immune to Focus Blast. Overall, while Reuniclus's checks counters are numerous and rather common, it has a way to beat nearly all of them in a specific circumstance.

There we go, that's the fourth Pokemon of the Week! Let us know whether this has helped you at all, and your results of testing these Reuniclus sets on the ladder. Also, don't forget to let us know via VM what Pokemon you want to see next. We're thinking Diggersby, but all opinions are welcome, as well as opinions about the Pokemon of the Week format and any ideas you want to see implemented, as well as questions for us about either Reuniclus or POTW itself. Go out there and try Reuniclus now, and we'll see you next time!

Last edited:
someone should post something about a bulky set w overcoat

(BAN ME PLEASE) Mod EDIT: This is a joke post

Run TR if you want to keep your lunch money

Last edited:
someone should post something about a bulky set w overcoat
A bulky set would prefer to run Magic Guard (To stop Toxic/Burn/Hazard damage).

I've always liked the idea of running Reuniclus, however I've never found a good team to put him on. He's an excellent counterpart to Alakazam and I've seen it do work in the past.

Last edited:

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Yeah, unless you are extremely afraid of Sleep Powder/Spore, Magic Guard is still far superior.

As for Reuiniclus itself, it's one of those Pokemon that plays completely differently depending on the set. You correctly pointed out that CM does poorly against offense, but great against stall, whereas the OTR set doesn't do much against stall but does well against offense!

Unfortunately Reuiniclus isn't quite as effective in the current meta as it was last generation. Offensive teams are generally bulkier than last generation's Hyper Offense teams - the type of teams that TR works best against. Not to mention there's so much priority flying around (loltalonflameref) that it's difficult to sweep offensive teams even inside TR. The CM is still capable of demolishing unprepared teams, and does very well against stall. Unfortunately it now faces competition with Clefable for the same role, and checks/counters are more common because of that.

Reactions: trc
A gimmicky option for the cm set is kee berry, basically gives +1def after the first physical hit, which you can recover off. It's a way to get bulkier against offensive team s but I find only working once hurts if the opponent has a phazer or other way to force you out

That was a great analysis I enjoyed reading! Reuniclus is one of my favorite pokemon so I always try to use him. I used the Trick Room set last gen and actually got some late game sweeps with him.
Magic Coat is definitely the superior ability. I guess if you're playing doubles and hate Amoongus you can go with overcoat.

Reactions: trc

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I used to run a Recover + 3 Attacks Reuniclus with this setup in BW OU:

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Bold
Magic Guard
252 HP/96 Sp. Atk/80 Def/80 Sp. Def
-Recover
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball

Surprisingly resilient and an amazing pivot. Doesn't hit nearly hard enough though, even with the Life Orb. :/ Still, it was the star performer on every team I made, which kind of speaks more of my team building ability than Reuniclus' integrity lol

Can this guy be used with regenerator and assault vest perhaps?
I don't see what it has over it's other sets. He can already get bulky Sp Def and becomes a good bulky pivot with the calm mind set/recover. Reuniclus really wants that Life Orb to hit harder too. It is usable since he's one of the few pokemon that would be able to regain health with Assault Vest, but I think he'd miss being able to use status moves more.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
It could be an offensive pivot, with Assault Vest, Regen, and 4 attacks.

It could be an offensive pivot, with Assault Vest, Regen, and 4 attacks.
This set honestly looks more promising this gen.

Defensive CM is trash as long as genesect and aegislash and bisharp and others are around.

Trick room is good but fails to KO Aegi but gets KO'd back by shadow ball (and then finished with sneak).

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball/Psyhic/Psyshock
- Trick/Psychic/Psyshock

This is how real men use Reuniclus. Future Sight got buffed to 120 base power this generation, making it 20% stronger. Pair this set with something that carries Roar/Dragon Tail etc in order to bypass Dark types trying to soak up Future Sight. Last 3 slots can be used for coverage.

As you are probably aware of by now, Genesect, one of Reuniclus's best checks, has recently been banned from OU. This will without a doubt improve Reuniclus's viability.

Last edited:
Yay Reuniclus!!! Idk why this green blob is still UU lol.
That bit about AV Regenerator + 4 attacks actually looks good. It avoids OHKO from 252+ SpA Aegislash and OHKOs with its own Shadow Ball since Reuniclus is slower though it falls to a Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak combo so you really can't switch it in on a Shadow Ball. I'm also wondering what the 4th moveslot could be. Now that Ghost is neutral against Steel, HP Fire would be a dumb choice. Anyway, the TR set with Magic Guard, TR + 3 attacks is still the best set out there imo since its really anti-meta and catches a lot of players off guard.

With that and with what Magnemite said about Genesect being banished to Ubers, I really hope to see this guy get some more use!

I've been on a roller coaster ride with this guy.

When the 5th gen sprites were revealed, I was all about him. I loved the design. Then something terrible was revealed; one of my biggest (if not THE biggest) pet peeve I have is when gf arbitrarily slaps the psychic type on a pokemon. First of all, psychic sucks. Second, this guy could have easily been something cool, like grass/fighting or grass/dark. Nope, just plain old psychic. I became one of its biggest detractors in its pre-b/w thread.

Then I tried it...and proved myself wrong. Reuniclus turned out to be quite the beast, atrociously bad typing be damned. It became my most-used sweeper on wifi.

And now here we are in 6th gen and I'm looking at aegislashes and bisharps everywhere and I'm like...damn, that psychic typing. Damn it to hell.

Psychic isn't an atrociously bad typing at all. Sure, it's taken a hit this gen, but the resistance to Fighting as a massive boon to it.
But a ton of things that rely on Fighting moves carry a Dark or Ghost move due to getting such good coverage, especially with the Steel nerf.

But a ton of things that rely on Fighting moves carry a Dark or Ghost move due to getting such good coverage, especially with the Steel nerf.
Well you could say the same about Psychic-type Pokemon, such as Reuniclus itself, which carries Shadow Ball on its OTR set, as well as Focus Blast for Dark-types.

Well you could say the same about Psychic-type Pokemon, such as Reuniclus itself, which carries Shadow Ball on its OTR set, as well as Focus Blast for Dark-types.
Umm…my point is that a Fighting resistance isn't that useful when almost anything is going to have a coverage move to still hit you SE. I'm not sure what that has to do with Reuniclus' coverage options.

Has anyone but me tried Toxic orb + trick + Explosion?
It does good surprises,Atk ev investment is somewhat reccomended

Was wondering if Bulky DD Mgyarados forms a good bulky offence core with this guy- not quite sure if the AV regenerator set or the TR set is better though. The two seem like they would be able to punch through many HO teams and maybe even stall teams, especially when their centerpiece, MVenu is weak tp Reuniclus.

The Dark typing offered by Mgyara can help Reuniclus take dark and ghost type attacks, whole Reuniclus sponges fighting moves aimed at Mgyara. An electric/bug resist pokemon would be needed in this case, so I suppose Excadrill is an excellent partner.

I wouldn't use Reuniclus honestly. The bulky CM set faces serious competition from Calm Mind Clefable. While Reuniclus beats Clefable on physical bulk and beats Clefable on special bulk slightly, Clefable's Fairy-typing makes it the stronger Pokemon defensively. The first point to consider is the weaknesses of both pokes: Dark, Ghost, and Bug for Reuniclus vs Poison and Steel for Clefable. I really hate using the phrase because it is misused often, but Reuncilus' weakness are much more common. What really uses Steel and Poison coverage, even STAB in the metagame? The list is small, especially since Mega-Lucario and Genesect got the boot:

Steel-STAB: Aegislash (not majority), Scizor, Bisharp, Excadrill, Jirachi / Magnezone (both so few used I didn't really want to include them)
Poison-STAB: Mega-Venusaur, Gengar (not majority)
Poison or Steel coverage: Landorus-I

Meanwhile CM Reuniclus is getting hammered harder by Aegislash (majority), Tyranitar, Bisharp, Gengar, Greninja, and Scizor. Not to mention every U-turn and Knock Off is going to be chipping away this thing from Azumarill, Mawile, and Landorus-T. Overall a lot more targets can take a decent chunk out of Reuniclus than Clefable.

On the resistance front, Reuniclus has over Clefable a resistance to... Psychic? Outside of Lati@s and Zen Headbutt Medicham, that resistance is not really coming into play. Clefable shares the Fighting-resistance, resists Dark, resists Bug which is thrown out with U-turn, and oh yeah has an immunity to Dragon, the main STAB of some serious offensive threats out there.

The point is few teams can handle defensive Clefable, while most teams can handle defensive Reuniclus. This is why we are seeing Clefable hitting 10th in in cumulative usage in SPL up to week 3 and even more usage in week 4, while Reuniclus isn't.

The OTR set is its only real niche now and its still pretty cool to use versus offensive teams. I've never really liked using OTR Reuniclus because it relies on a 4 turn timer to sweep, which can be easy for the opponent to play around. So if you want to get good use out of it, you have to be at the top of your game. Also, the OTR set has a lot more difficulty functioning this gen than last gen because of the increased amount of powerful priority users, which ignore Trick Room. Against many offensive teams you will struggle to find a chance to set up TR with enough HP to spare a sweep against priority. Calcs for some common priority users:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus: 139-165 (33.9 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus: 144-170 (35.2 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Spooky Plate Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus: 204-242 (49.8 - 59.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus: 274-324 (66.9 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus: 384-454 (93.8 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus: 424-502 (103.6 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I tried my best with Reuniclus for the team building thread with Mega Heracross and the meta is just too unkind to him. Psychic was a bad typing already last gen, but with the superiority of Dark and Ghost moves since Steel doesn't resist anymore, plus a relatively smaller amount of Fighting types and moves thanks to Flying gaining offensive popularity and defensive Fairy types, Psychic is worse than ever. Couple that with the ubiquity of U-Turn and Knock Off and Psychic is likely the worst typing this gen. This might be manageable if it weren't for Reuniclus' speed. Even with Magic Guard and good bulk he's a horrible pivot and can't Recover fast enough. It's a shame because his CM set was a best in BW which I used often. Honestly Regenerator may be the way to go this time a la Slowbro. The Specs set looked interesting and there are still dual screens and Trick Room. I just think there are too many hard hitters for Reuniclus to stay in and his typing makes it too hard to pivot with him. Maybe there's an undiscovered niche that really excels this gen on a certain team, but I haven't found it yet.

Has anyone but me tried Toxic orb + trick + Explosion?
It does good surprises,Atk ev investment is somewhat reccomended
Why not azelf for this? If you are exploding it doesnt matter if you get poisoned yourself.

Also regarding regenerator + 4 attacks, Im thinking the following:

252Hp 252 SpA, Modest
Psychic
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Psyshock

As far as 4 moves go, his movepool doesnt really offer much else, but this is still pretty decent coverage. He does have energy ball in his movepool but actually, Psyshock is going to be a better option most of the time as it will give you the option of hitting things harder on their uninvested physical defense.
For instance with rotom-w:

252+ SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%)
252+ SpA Reuniclus Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 146-172 (48 - 56.5%)

The damage is really similar, and probably makes energy ball not worth the slot.
Unless you have issues with pokemon 4x weak to grass then psyshock seems like a better choice most of the time, seeings as most viable water types (and this is a slight generalization) have way higher spdef than physical def (or dont invest in either if they are azumarill, manaphy, greninja) and psyshock hits them on their weaker stat- the main exception being slowbro, who is covered by shadow ball.

252+ SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Tentacruel: 266-314 (73 - 86.2%)
252+ SpA Reuniclus Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 90-106 (24.7 - 29.1%)

252+ SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jellicent: 187-222 (46.2 - 54.9%)
252+ SpA Reuniclus Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jellicent: 146-174 (36.1 - 43%)

252+ SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 138-163 (29.7 - 35.1%)
252+ SpA Reuniclus Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 220-260 (47.4 - 56%)

252+ SpA Reuniclus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 200-236 (53.7 - 63.4%)
252+ SpA Reuniclus Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 75-89 (20.1 - 23.9%)

The only exception was in the Vaporeon set which I think usually runs max defense. I wont count suicune because I dont think anything Reuniclus has has a good chance of breaking through suicune.

This set is a quite nice rotom-W check- rotom-W doesnt particularly want to trick himself an AV, and even at max spA all of his damage can be recovered off from regenerator.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)