XY Doubles Replays

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I almost don't want to play Doubles now that i see that Perish Trapping with Mega-Gar, Gothita and Gothitelle. The lack of replies concerning how to counter that strategy is disturbing in my eyes.

Of course, i am fairly new to Doubles but it almost seems broken in my very uneducated opinion.
It takes some skill to play around, but killing off the Shadow Tag users with a double target (or Feint + really strong attack) or just spamming powerful spread moves will usually do the trick. It's all a lot easier on paper, but really your best bet is to blast away until stuff is dead. Abusing U-Turn with Scizor, Talonflame or Genesect also works wonders.

Prankster Taunt also shuts it down completely (assuming you take down the Rage Powder/Follow Me users), especially since Mega Gengar can't hold Mental Herb. Whimsicott (which is available in Pokebank SmogDubs) is especially notable since it can avoid the effects of Rage Powder thanks to its Grass typing, allowing it to hit the Perish Trapper with Taunt even if Amoonguss is on the field, etc. Ghost-types are also immune to Shadow Tag (assuming I have my mechanics right), so having something like Chandelure around is always nice for this reason (it's not going to enjoy taking a Shadow Ball from Mega Gengar, though). In terms of once Perish Song is in effect, the general idea is to do your best to predict the opponent's Protects (they are going to use Protect to stall out the Perish Song timer assuming they plan on winning), and once the timer hits 1, aim to deal as much damage as possible to the switch-ins (as the opposition will need to switch their Pokemon out in order to avoid dying to Perish Song; note that with two Shadow Taggers they can switch from Mega Gengar to Gothitelle or something like that to keep you trapped while being a bit less predictable, so be aware of that possibility).

Yeah I probably when overboard with this, but basically there are a lot of ways to handle Perish Trapping and imo it is by no means overpowered.

With those explanations, it looks like i don't have to give up on trying out Smogon Dubs. I'll have to keep Perish Trapping (and this thread) in mind when i team build. Thanks ^.^

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-67869647
Pretty good game here with some interesting predictions and a few oversights on my behalf.
I later learned Ice Punch > Ice Beam on MegaTar thanks to Pocket.

Had to post this just to get it out of my system, I wanted to scream so bad. (It's a pretty shit watch but that fucking Togekiss man)

edit: Didn't realise I posted the battle link, thanks Blank.

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Laga vs TOTEM This is just fucking hilarious. Super haxy game that ends in a huge misplay by TOTEM. New Gen 6 mechanics (Sound goes through Sub) really fucked him over ;p

and here is what he should have done: 252+ Atk Life Orb Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 270-318 (97.4 - 114.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Laga vs TOTEM This is just fucking hilarious. Super haxy game that ends in a huge misplay by TOTEM. New Gen 6 mechanics (Sound goes through Sub) really fucked him over ;p

and here is what he should have done: 252+ Atk Life Orb Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 270-318 (97.4 - 114.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Where is the dislike button?
GG tho, shame I'm dumb.

Posting this match where I am facing Laga. This showcases that perish trap strategies are still extremely viable, especially now that Perish Song bypasses Substitute. You will see Hitmontop and Togekiss display their utility and bulk early game quite well, and Amoonguss saving my ass late game (due to some cancel button issues).

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Best part of this is the commentary
Laga: FUCK
TOTEMO: damn
Laga: FUCk
Laga: THAT's NOT GOOD
TOTEMO: correct

TOTEMO: FUCK
TOTEMO: THAT HIUTS
TOTEMO: THROUGH
TOTEMO: SUBS
WallyB v3 joined.
TOTEMO: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Laga: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
TOTEMO: welp
Laga: THIS IS SO GOING ON XY REPLAYS THREAD

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, finally updated this (will probably try and add replays from the last minitour later as well.) Also, please add a short description of the highlights of the match with your replay. You can look at my replay posts for an example of this. In addition, if the match is haxy, please say so so I know not to include it (unless the hax didnt affect the outcome which you should note). It takes too long to watch individual replays so that'd be appreciated.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-69520307

Me vs laga. A great game with 2 good teams. ChariYard is defintely scary in late game when there is no weather left, but can be played around. Turn 4 was a bad overpredict on my part but otherwise a great game.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oriserver-pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-60802

Me vs pwnemon. Another excellent game that highlighted assault vests greatness on rotom w. Pwne was trying to play around wil o wisp and i didnt have it. Amoonguss is also a monster. An untimely crit at the end ruined what was a great game otherwise.

Arcticblast edit: the replays were out of order, fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
good replays, AuraRayquaza (the descriptions and replays do not match, btw I did it I fixed them - Arcticblast) - although that flinch crit Rock Slide vs Pwn was a game-changing hax. In fact, that Fire Blast miss also was to your favor, because it prevented Pwnemon to switch in Landorus-T risk-free and also bought Excadrill enough time to set up Swords Dance.

I did enjoy the Lum Metagross action and what I assume to be CB Talonflame, though ;d

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sad that I didn't save my replay against Aura's team =[
Or my match that lasted 38 turns, it was sweet!

Anyway, my experiment with stall was surprisingly successful. I would like to share a few replays that I actually saved correctly. I don't know if these would be great to add to the OP because the battles themselves aren't high quality, but they do open the window to the possibilities of stall in Doubles which was long deemed to be on the same level of viability as Slaking gimmicks.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-69294865
Here I was pretty psyched to 5-0 Lolkomori's rain team.
Key thing to check out is how ENTRY HAZARDS can actually be very useful!
Furfrou is actually kind of cool with 354 HP/374 Def/216 sDef on this set along with 300 speed to hit things with Snarl before they move. It gets to pretty ridiculously tanky levels when you compound Snarls and an Intimidate user. Side note: Furfrou has the equivalent of like 170 base def if you fully invest!!
Gothitelle was a twist that I hadn't really accounted for when building the team. I like to switch a lot to either force entry hazard damage or hard wall the opponent, but Goth put a lid on that strategy for a bit.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-69275236
Starting off, I am loving life since Aromatissee caught yet another Taunt Thundurus off-guard while I hard wall EruptionTran! Aromatherapy deals with paralysis shenanigans as well, so Aromatisse essentially ruins Thundy's day. Later on I start walling Mega Garchomp and find out that it is running Dragon Tail for its STAB so I KO it with a paralyzed Latias. CM Latias eventually sets up and sweeps.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-69282265
Discharge spam, EruptionTran in Sun, Cresselia surviving for days, NOTHING CM LATIAS CAN'T HANDLE! Also, Iron Barbs makes another appearance by causing a Cincinno to nearly kill itself. Latias comes back from the grave and saves the day lol

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-69287250
Finally, Megga Aggron sets up in the face of STAB Flare Blitz and STAB Huge Power EQ and proceeds to sweep with mono attacking Heavy Slam. Again, no high quality predictions or whatever, but it does further illustrate that with the right sets you can tank A LOT in Doubles.

Stall in Doubles is actually a VERY VERY fun playstyle. You have to be incredibly creative to put together a team that can wall all of the ridiculously powerful threats in Doubles(oh hi Deoxys-A, EruptionTran in Sun, Mega anything, etc) and even then you are on the edge of your seat every turn of the battle. Not only is there the stress that at any moment 2 attacks could hit one of your Pokemon and put it out of commission, but a stall play-style relies on the survival of most of your teammates throughout the match or you are screwed! Also, since stall is so switch-dominant, you have to time your switches with precision because you can't forget that there are likely to be two attacks coming your way from the opponent while your Pokemon just sit there and take it.

I still haven't done amazing things with stall, but I have beaten a few #doubles players with it and a lotttt of ladder matches. Maybe with more experience using stall I will be able to work in some more goodstuffs elements to handle better players while still retaining the ability to wall. Idk we'll see.

i forgot flareblitz to put flare blitz on talonflame lol. The game would have gone much differently if my steel check could actually check your steels.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Laga vs Pwnemon – here is a match I had against Pwnemon earlier. This may seem like bragging considering how much Pwne got rekt, but I think that it demonstrates a lot of awesome ways to perform predictions, both through double-switching and how the use of Protect can both bite you in the ass and help you very much. Right from the start, Pwne faced a terrible matchup, which I obviously took advantage of by thinking thoroughly about what he would do (switch to Rotom-W and either Spore or Protect), so I made the very best position I possibly could turn 1. From then on, I didn't really have to predict much, since I was always that one step ahead, and he kind of made a misplay turn 2. He ended up making a single great play, and then he got critted and left :/ The crit didn't really matter though: he said he double targeted Heatran, which means I would have just 2HKOed

Basically, this sucker got smashed :]

Last edited:
I decided "Hey, I liked doubles in BW. Why not hop back in? I wasn't sure what pokemon to include in a team though, XY being a new meta and all. I saw Rotom was considered S rank, and decided to give him a shot. Only a few games in and I am NOT disappointed. Here's a match against a rain team. Discharge was certainly the star of the match, despite the opponent only having two electric weak pokemon. Rather, it was the occasional paralysis that was helping me most. If you're new to doubles and don't entirely know what moves to give your pokemon, watch this battle because it will demonstrate why 90% of the time the last moveslot should be protect.
>>ChaoswalkerVSjonnyp97<<

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, figured I'd make this post now about quality standards for this thread. Not asking for every game to be VGC Worlds quality but these are some things to keep in mind when submitting to make it better for everyone:
  • Don't post lousy games - This one might seem obvious but it still happens. If you're beating something like a Monotype team or Beat Up + Terrakion, it isn't impressive or interesting, and I can promise I won't accept it. So please don't share a game against an opponent who clearly has 0 idea what they're doing.
  • Don't post haxy games - In a similar vein, if a game is very haxy or has a move where the implementation on PS is incorrect, please don't share it here. If the hax didn't affect the outcome of the game, still say why it didn't and point out that it happened when discussing the replay. But yeah no one wants to see you winning after getting 3 misses and a crit or something.
  • Don't post one-liners - We get it, the game was haxy. No need to post somethin like "lol such hax much luck" or whatever to reply, we're more than capable of viewing the match for ourselves and seeing if it's haxy. Before hitting post please think about whether your post serves any actual purpose or if it's just fluff or pc++ or something. If your post is deemed to be of this nature it will likely be deleted and potentially infracted if the problem persists (up to mod discretion though). The only time having one line is ok is if you're simply deciding to post a replay with a small description.
  • Do add a small description w/ your replay - It's nice that you al have so much to say when talking about your replays, but keep in mind that when they go into the OP the descriptions will be skimmed through. Thus, it would be helpful to include a short 1-2 sentence summary of the highlights of the game alongside your longer description. When making the description also keep it neutral (ex: "Talonflame picking apart the opposition" as opposed to "My Talonflame picking apart the opposition"). See my submission posts for an example of what I mean.
  • Do include your/the opponent's Smogon username if they're on an alt - Unless they ask to remain nameless, better to have the match titled Audiosurfer vs Pwnemon than like Audiosurfer vs thistestinaltiscool243. Note, this is not saying you can't post replays played on alts. Simply clarify who you are when posting it for the benefit of the viewers.
  • Do feel free to discuss a replay - If there was an element of a replay you watched that you really enjoyed, such as a particular play or a Pokemon selection, feel free to say it. In addition, if you think a replay was flawed, feel free to give some constructive criticism. Just make sure you're not just posting one-liners or tl;drs, since those stink up the thread.
So yeah, adhere to these and your replays have a much better chance of being added, as well as making the thread better for everyone :)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
warning: /vp/ banter inside
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-70881954

I lost this battle and have to give room drivers to fucking Totem this shit sucks

This wasn't a bad battle though; apart from several Muddy Water misses that fucked me over for a while, it came down to the wire with me making a bunch of ballsy switches (Lando-T into a predicted Volt Switch? yay!). Ultimately I was afraid of Mega Garchomp's Rock Slide destroying me and Rain Danced when I should have Psyshocked late game, although I wasn't expecting Lando-T to do so little...

gg Temporaryanonymous :^)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This was a cool game - thanks for sharing, Arcticblast 8) It seems like you replaced Ampharos for Blastoise after all, even when you didn't seem too enthused about it when I suggested it last time. Mega Blastoise is actually really good, thanks to its access to Fake Out and Muddy Water (fuck its accuracy tho) and Water Spout. Plus it has access to some powerful coverage in Dark Pulse and Flash Cannon (no Mega Launcher boost tho ;/ WHY). I've been using Mega Blastoise extensively outside of Rain, and your team demonstrated how much serious work it does under rain (if it doesn't miss). That is actually one solid Rain team, so you deserve major props :D

That Tyranitar should have been a goner at Turn 7 if it wasn't for that inconvenient miss; Cresselia would have had her Sitrus Berry and bulk intact to finish off Garchomp in the end. Cresselia using Rain Dance in the final turn was not a bad move, since the opponent's Garchomp should have used Protect to burn off the final Trick Room turn. Regardless good game.

Last edited:
I just had a couple of great matches with Laga.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-70992152
The first one was super intense- both Laga and I were running interesting teams. Turn 5 was the big switch in momentum, and turn 6 shows that overpredicting can be just as bad as underpredicting. It was a great game overall and showcased a variety of good moves. Props to everything for being bulky as hell.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-70995402
During the second game, I used the pre-bank team that got me 3rd in the prebank minitour. Pretty straightforward Tailwind + Sand, including the Fastest Excadrill Alive. It also shows that tailwind can be completely viable, unlike what some people claim. The first turn was very important- even though I was pretty sure that Heatran was going to protect and my Garchomp would get neutered, I couldn't not attack because Heatran could get a sub up. That is the power of SubTran- even when threatened it puts so much offensive pressure on the opponent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)