Would it be a good idea to use a Telepathy Palkia/Giratina to trick people into...

...thinking it's Zoroark? I mean, since Pressure activates when it's sent out, they'll probably think "Hmm, Pressure didn't activate. It's got to be Zoroark." So I'd send out my Giratina against, let's say a Mewtwo w/ low HP. They'll think it's Zoroark & use Aura Sphere, which does nothing, and I defeat Mewtwo with Shadow Ball or something. What do you guys think?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Theorymon proposed this idea before, and it's quite an interesting gimmick. The problem is Zoroark is still burdened by being somewhat weak and still identifiable by its previous damage, as well as Team Preview which causes more cautious play. So the tactic can only live for so long. Keep in mind that Giratina and Palkia often switch into attacks due to their bulk and resistances, and smart players will notice the difference in HP and deduce which one is Zoroark.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh I totally forgot about this idea. It probably won't work out too great for Dialga because the SR resist gives away what mon it is, but I'm interested in doing this for Palkia. I'm more interested in disguising Zoroark as Normal Arceus however, since Zoroark can nail Skarmory and Giratina switch ins, making it have the potential to be a decent lure.

Like previous posters have said though, the biggest problem with Zoroark is always going to be the fact that Darkrai is better in almost every single way. I'm still curious in testing it out though, because Illusion is just such a great ability...

I would think that team preview would kill this gimmick, but in a situation where that's not an issue, yeah it could work.

I would think that team preview would kill this gimmick, but in a situation where that's not an issue, yeah it could work.
I think the idea is to use team preview to aid Zoroark and a partner uber (most likely Palkia) to get some extra hits on target pokes. The general idea seems to be that the opponent will see Zoroark in the team preview. Now you send out a Telepathy Palkia (eample). Since the opponent sees no message announcing Pressure, they hopefully assume it is a Zoroark. Now you can hopefully take advantage of that situation like firing off a Specs Meteor or something they didn't see coming. Also later in the match you might get in another strike as they won't know if it is Zoroark or Palkia.

Its a neat idea that could have merit. There are several problems with the concept though. Mainly entry hazards giving away which is which (like a Gira-O all of a sudden taking spikes damage or Dialga not resisting SR=Zoro). This can be remedied with a Spinner but its no guarantee.

The other problem is that most Zoroark are specially based and so are some of its would be partners. A Chansey can stop both Palkia and Zoroark fairly easy so you don't get much of an advantage. You can use specific sets to help take advantage (like maybe physical Palkia?) but it is something to consider.

Your probably better off going with Theorymon's suggestion of disguising Zoro as an Arceus as you can then Night Daze/Dark Pulse an incoming Lugia/Giratina and making it easier to setup the ESpeed sweep later.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Interesting gimmick. The thing is, with this strategy, you have to use Zoroark, which is kind of a burden for such a small surprise tactic. You might as well, as many people suggested, use Darkrai.
Also just pointing out that Giratina is commonly used as a spinblocker, so if you come in and take damage then your cover's up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)