wii game recommendations?

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
soooo i have a bunch of christmas money to spend, and i feel kinda guilty for neglecting my wii lately. i wanna buy some fun games that i can get into in the new year. i already have all the really notable/well-known titles (like both mario galaxies, donkey kong country returns, twilight princess, etc), so i'm looking for some obscure gems. i figure the best place to start my search for obscure yet good wii games is on smogon seeing as everybody is so goddamn indie on here!

so can you guys recommend some good wii games i may have missed out on?

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Obscure, eh? Well I have personally had fun with de Blob, which can be picked up for relatively cheap! It's great if you like unique mechanics and interesting gameplay. I've always liked WarioWare games, and the Wii version is no different. It's not as popular of a franchise but it can really be a bundle of fun with friends. If you haven't picked up Mario Strikers: Charged, then I would also highly recommend that. It can actually be pretty intense (despite the CPU's being a bit cheap), and the game is pretty darn unique. Finally, I liked Mercury Meltdown Revolution. It can be a pretty tough game in some of the later levels, the puzzles are quite thoughtful, and it makes good use of motion controls.

World of Goo is an excellent game to pick up on WiiWare, if you have access to that. Orbient is one of the chillest games I have ever played and is fun if you're feeling like a lazy schabump on any given night. And of course, classic games off of the Wii Shop are always a blast, from Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past to Paper Mario. Hope this helps!

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Went through my Wii collection for you. This list is in order from "MUST HAVE" to "Buy if interested". I'm also including a combination of "obscure" games and well-known games that you may have still missed.

1) Metroid Prime Collection (Or Metroid Prime Corruption if you can't find it)
2) Monster Hunter
3) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
4) Red Steel 2
5) Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
6) The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
7) GoldenEye 007
8) Super Paper Mario
9) Epic Mickey
10) Sakura Wars (VERY niche, VERY obscure - my japanoholic friend gave it to me. It's quite good though.)

Also there like 50 good games on WiiWare / Virtual Console, check those out too.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Muramasa the Demon Blade is really fun, so I recommend that. I also recommend Monster Hunter Tri, I guarantee hours of fun. Super Paper Mario as well.

Went through my Wii collection for you. This list is in order from "MUST HAVE" to "Buy if interested". I'm also including a combination of "obscure" games and well-known games that you may have still missed.

1) Metroid Prime Collection (Or Metroid Prime Corruption if you can't find it)
2) Monster Hunter
3) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
4) Red Steel 2
5) Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
6) The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
7) GoldenEye 007
8) Super Paper Mario
9) Epic Mickey
10) Sakura Wars (VERY niche, VERY obscure - my japanoholic friend gave it to me. It's quite good though.)

Also there like 50 good games on WiiWare / Virtual Console, check those out too.
Pretty much this.. Add Phantom Brave, A Boy and his Blob, Arc Rise Fantasia, Okami, Trauma Center/Team.

You have to get Spider-Man:Shattered Dimensions it truly makes justice for the Spider. Super Mario Sluggers is cool too.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
anything but Super Paper Mario. It like shits all over the beauty that otherwise was Paper Mario.

Surprisingly good are the new Spyro games: The Eternal Night and Dawn of the Dragon. Eternal Night is too linear and both of them are a bit short, but the entire Spyro system was basically revamped, and definitely for the better. If you get them though, you'll want the first in the trilogy to fill you in- A New Beginning for DS. It's a good game, not as great as the Wii ones but it fills in the storyline.

EDIT: Seconding Metroid Prime Collection it is so insanely good, I only have Corruption but i still love it.

breh

強いだね
If you can find it at gamestops, Zack and Wiki is really fucking cheap usually (it sold really badly iirc) but is a damn good puzzle game.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
anything but Super Paper Mario. It like shits all over the beauty that otherwise was Paper Mario.
I personally love the Mario RPG series (SM:RPG might be my favorite game with Paper Mario for N64 close behind), but I wouldn't agree with this. Super Paper Mario isn't a Mario RPG, simple as that. Once you get over that hurdle, I'd argue that it's a pretty fun game with an intriguing story and fun mechanics. While I would have preferred another RPG, this game definitely isn't horrible. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys interesting platformers and humorous banter.

I'd also like to second Monster Hunter Tri and any of the Metroid Prime games. FlareBlitz's list is also excellent and would approve of all of the games that I've played that are located on that list.

Okami wii is good, I watch my sister play it but really have no clue what the hell its about haha.

Fire emblem radiant dawn is amazing

Goldeneye 007 I still play online, its a bit hacker infested but its not too bad, I still enjoy shooting people :D The main story is pretty good too.

Mario Kart wii is still good.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Netflix.

Not even joking.

Oh! Buy. Hit up the virtual console. There's a ton of old stuff on there that is still so much fun to play.

I downloaded:
Majora's Mask (N64), Legend of Zelda (NES), Adventures of Link (NES), Super Mario Brothers 2 (NES US), Super Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels (NES JP), Super Mario World (SNES).

I'm sure you've played them all, though maybe not Lost Levels. But I'd reccommend any of them if you have the extra cash, especially since they're so cheap.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
okay, in case you don't have both Super Mario Galaxies you should have both of them. Donkey Kong Country Returns is okay, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Twilight Princess is amazing, definitely pick that up if you haven't already. I got Skyward Sword today and what little I played of it it's pretty good.

Super Paper Mario is pretty good, but the other two are infinitely better. Metroid and Okami aren't bad either. You can never go wrong with a Mario Kart game either, and the online is actually...good.

If you want Nintendo Shop games try Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. It's excellent. WiiWare World of Goo is probably the best non-retail game for the Wii.

Spider-Man games are surprisingly good.

If you're a stoner and have stoner friends then Mario Party 8 is perfect for you.

breh

強いだね
Am I the only one who was kind of.. bored by world of goo? the novelty wears off fast.

a really obscure (yet still fun) wiiware game is art style: orbient. it's relaxing and fun. a game I haven't played in forever but remember getting a kick out of.

EDIT: also, agreeing with the sentiment that super paper mario is bad. it's nothing compared to TTYD and, to a lesser extent, paper mario. The game is way too slow for me to like it; it's tedious.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
A Boy And His Blob is the only "underground" game I have, but most of the Mario games are good, and the Sonic games are all pretty good (ranging from "meh" to "this is really cool" but no "shit" or "SO AWESOME" in there imo).

^Sonic Unleashed was, in a nutshell, pretty damn bad. Don't get it.
Colors was good though, I suggest it.

Also, I haven't played through all of Epic Mickey (I know what game to beat next~), but it is really good, and pretty different from most games you'll ever play

Since Okami and No More Heroes have been mentioned already, I'm gonna list Punch-Out!! for a recommendation if you don't have that. The question then becomes which version of the game. Both the NES game that you can download and the 2009 game on disc are the same basic idea: punch your way through hilarious stereotypes once you figure out their patterns in arcade-style boxing matches.

Advantages of the NES game:
* More well-known
* Arguably more difficult overall
* MUCH cheaper ($5 vs $20 at least)
* Mario's the referee (lol)

Advantages of the Wii game:
* Opponents are more animated and speak (thus even funnier than the NES version)
* You actually punch with the Wiimote and Nunchuck (although you can use just the Wiimote sideways like you would with the NES game)
* You can rematch more difficult versions of every fighter in the game as opposed to just a few rematches (GLASS JOE can legitimately beat you in his rematch! THAT is terrifying.)
* A few additional opponents from the NES game.

You can probably tell that I like the Wii version a lot, but if you'd rather go for the cheaper alternative, that's really good, too. It seems a bit more difficult than the Wii game.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Niche and obscure, eh? Get the Ultimate Shooting Collection, $13-14 on Amazon. Ignore the bland packaging. Three shmups from Milestone, all of them fun and unique within their genre. They all look the same on the surface (mainly because they all use the same basic weapons) but they all play differently. Karous is my favorite of the three, featuring scoring based on a weapons leveling system and you have to be tactical about when you want to level each weapon. It also lacks the strict chaining system in Radiant Silvergun (which also features a weapon leveling system). Chaos Field is a fun little boss game, but scoring is a little more difficult to grasp..in a nutshell, you need to constantly be switching between Order Field and Chaos Field attempting to cancel bullets and score. Radilgy has nice cel-shaded art and the enemies are of the "wtf Japan" sort, but it is fun and a tad less difficult than the other games imo. But yeah, if arcade shmups are up your alley at all I would highly recommend this.

Seconding Zach and Wiki, although once you beat it, you know the answer to all the puzzles :( A Boy and his Blob is a similar game with lots of shorter puzzles, so you're less likely to remember the answers. I liked Zach and Wiki better overall though for more interesting (And DIFFICULT) puzzles. For a really obscure game similar to those two, look through the WiiWare for Toki Tori :) Better and harder puzzles IMO then Boy and His Blob, but more and far shorter puzzles then Zach and Wiki.

Also seconding Mario Strikers Charged as an underrated Wii game, imagine an international football game with no rules, no fouls and Mario Kart items. One more, I'll add Excitebots as a racing game to rival Mario Kart, it's extremely weird (I enjoy weird games if you haven't noticed) to win, you have to earn the most stars by doing tricks as well as winning the race, and each track has several different paths and opportunities for tricks such as air spins, bowling, spinning around bars, throwing pies into clowns while driving insect-based vehicles...wow that game is weird but fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)