Media Why is Nintendo against us gifting digital games easily?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gifts would be a pain in the arse anyway bc they’d probably region lock them like they do on Steam to stop me gifting a region-free game to a friend across the pond.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why would they need to region lock?
Presumably to stop someone buying a game in a region where prices are lower and gifting it to their own account in a different region or some bs like that. Sorta like how you usually need to purchase DLC on the same region’s account to use it with the game you bought on PS4 (no clue if Ninty does this too, but I wouldn’t be remotely shocked).

Nintendo were the last hardware developers to stop region locking their consoles, and Steam region locks all purchases, so I imagine Nintendo would do smth obnoxious like that too. It’s not “needed,” and it’s completely anti-consumer, but they’d probably do it anyway.

Sorta like how you usually need to purchase DLC on the same region’s account to use it with the game you bought on PS4 (no clue if Ninty does this too, but I wouldn’t be remotely shocked).
Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but I think DLC is also "region-locked", in the sense that if you buy an American game, you also need to buy an American DLC, otherwise it won't work. Was talking about this in another forum when people were talking about using the Japanese E-shop

Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but I think DLC is also "region-locked", in the sense that if you buy an American game, you also need to buy an American DLC, otherwise it won't work. Was talking about this in another forum when people were talking about using the Japanese E-shop
Codes are also region-locked.

Back in 2018, when I asked my sister to buy Bayonetta 2+1 while she was on vacation in Spain, I had to change the region of my Nintendo Switch to be able to redeem the Bayonetta 1 code.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)