Who Needs Gen 5 Pokemon Anyway?

Hello everyone - this is my first attempt at a warstory, but I've read enough that hopefully this will be entertaining nonetheless!

Warstories with long intros are the worst, so let's get to it!

sc4rs's team - Blue

My team is an adaptation of a Gen 4 team, which partially explains its lack of Gen 5 Pokemon. The team is somewhat defensive and usually drives towards either a MixMence or Crocune endgame. Blissey is a new addition (hence its lack of a nickname for the observant), replacing my previous Smeargle lead.

Battle between sc4rs and MACnCheese started!

MACnCheese's team - Red

Immediately on team preview, my eye is drawn to Politoed. This battle's going to be fought in the rain, for better or for worse, as I don't have a weather changer. The other Pokemon that sticks out is Rotom-W, a huge hassle to deal with because of his ability to annoyingly screw over my defensive 'mons with a tricked Choice item, and to dish out massively powerful Thunders in the rain. Regardless of whether Ferrothorn or Politoed start, Blissey can get rocks up, so in she goes.

MACnCheese sent out Ferrothorn!
sc4rs sent out Blissey!
(100%) vs.
(100%)

Probably the worse of the two options, but still not a huge hassle. With 252HP, 252Def, and Bold, Blissey can take a Power Whip if he decides to throw it out and Wish it off later.

Start of turn 1
Blissey used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around MACnCheese's team!

The foe's Ferrothorn used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around sc4rs's team!

No Spikes, which is good - Stealth Rock isn't a huge hassle for my team as only Salamence is weak to it, but likewise Salamence is the only Pokemon immune to Ground once Heatran's Air Balloon is popped. I Protect to see what the Ferrothorn is planning with its Stealth-Rock-limited movepool.

Start of turn 2
Blissey used Protect!
Blissey protected itself!

The foe's Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!

With this, I know one of two things is true - either Ferrothorn doesn't have Thunder Wave or Ferrothorn only has one attack. We'll see if that's useful information down the line. Right now, I'll switch over to Celebi, who can threaten with Hidden Power Fire, will take piddling damage from Power Whip, and can heal from paralysis on a later switch due to Natural Cure.

Start of turn 3
sc4rs called Blissey back!
sc4rs sent out Sprite! (Celebi)
Pointed stones dug into Sprite!

MACnCheese called Ferrothorn back!
MACnCheese sent out Rotom-W!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Rotom-W!

(~87%) vs.
(~87%)

He must have predicted a Heatran switch in, which pretty much solidifies that Ferrothorn doesn't know Thunder Wave. I'm pretty sure he fears Leaf Storm here, and will switch out to Scizor. Hidden Power Fire won't OHKO in the rain, but probably will outside of it with Rocks down.

Start of turn 4
The foe's Rotom-W used Volt Switch!
It's not very effective...
Sprite lost 57 HP! (14% of its health)
MACnCheese called Rotom-W back!
MACnCheese sent out Politoed!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Politoed!

The foe's Politoed's Drizzle made it rain!

Sprite used Hidden Power!
The foe's Politoed lost 4% of its health!

(~80%) vs.
(~92%)

Two things - first of all, Volt Switch is a very strange choice for a rain Rotom-W. However, I am now almost sure that Rotom-W carries a Choice item, and probably Scarf because it outsped Celebi. Second, this switch I didn't expect. While Politoed is not a huge problem for Blissey it would've been nice to Leaf Storm it into oblivion. On the bright side, I still have that option!

Start of turn 5
The foe's Politoed used Protect!
The foe's Politoed protected itself!

Sprite used Leaf Storm!

Well there goes that plan. Now that he knows I have a major hurt coming for him, he's almost definitely going to Scizor, who 4x resists. HP Fire won't OHKO anymore but it'll dent it nicely, and he may still think I have HP Ice because all he knows is that Politoed resisted it.

Start of turn 6
MACnCheese called Politoed back!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Ferrothorn!

It's super effective!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 28% of its health!
(~92%) vs.
(~72%)

28%. 28%!!! That Ferrothorn is a lot thicker than I expected. While it's annoying that I can't do as much damage as I'd like to it, Gyro Ball is the worst that he can do to me and it won't 2HKO, so I can Recover off some damage and keep firing Hidden Powers at it.

Start of turn 7
It's super effective!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 26% of its health!

The foe's Ferrothorn used Gyro Ball!
Sprite lost 157 HP! (38% of its health)

(~61%) vs.
(~52%)

As expected. I'm losing the race, but now I get a sinking feeling that he's going to switch to Scizor while I Recover. Seeing as I outspeed Ferrothorn I decide to go for HP Fire again.

Start of turn 8
MACnCheese sent out Scizor!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Scizor!

It's super effective!
The foe's Scizor lost 45% of its health!

The foe's Scizor restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

(~68%) vs.
(~48%)

45%. 45%!!! This Scizor is a lot thicker than I expected. (Alternately, I need to change the EV spread on my Celebi, but I digress...) Knowing he has Leftovers makes me think he might have some bulk there, too. That said, he's sitting at 48% and I don't believe I'm going to get the 2HKO. I'm almost positive he's going to U-Turn, but with Rocks out, Salamence is going to take a hefty hit just to get forced out by Politoed. Also, his team doesn't appear to have any Ground attacks that I'd be really worried about. Sacrificing Air Balloon to send in Heatran, who takes almost nothing from either it or rocks, seems like the plan.

Start of turn 9
sc4rs called Sprite back!
sc4rs sent out Oven! (Heatran)
Pointed stones dug into Oven!

Oven is floating on a balloon!

The foe's Scizor used U-turn!
Oven lost 33 HP! (10% of its health)
Oven's Air Balloon popped!
MACnCheese called Scizor back!

(~78%) vs.
(~75%)

As expected, one of the bulky waters that Heatran can't handle. I think he's going to Volt Switch again to keep up tempo, so I go to Blissey. In retrospect, maybe not the safest move as I figured he was Choiced and probably has Trick, but in the moment I was pretty sure he'd Volt Switch...

Start of turn 10
sc4rs called Oven back!
sc4rs sent out Blissey!
Pointed stones dug into Blissey!

Blissey lost 87 HP! (12% of its health)
MACnCheese sent out Toxicroak!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Toxicroak!

The foe's Toxicroak restored HP using its Dry Skin!
(~76%) vs.
(100%)

And it turned out I was absolutely right. Toxicroak can Drain Punch to take all of the damage I'd do with Seismic Toss away while wrecking me, and I can't remember off the top of my head if Seismic Toss even eats Toxicroak's Sub or not. Metagross, however, is a great counter with Zen Headbutt. In he goes to either eat a Drain Punch now or after a Sub.

Start of turn 11
sc4rs sent out UFO! (Metagross)
Pointed stones dug into UFO!

The foe's Toxicroak used Substitute!
The foe's Toxicroak made a substitute!

(~94%) vs.
(~85%)

Start of turn 12
The foe's Toxicroak used Drain Punch!
UFO lost 105 HP! (28% of its health)
UFO had its energy drained!

UFO used Zen Headbutt!
It's super effective!
The foe's Toxicroak's substitute faded!

(~66%) vs.
(100%)

No reason to stop Headbutting now - if Drain Punch does nothing, neither will Sucker Punch, and the only thing on his team that can take repeated CB Zen Headbutts is Ferrothorn - even Latios loses a ton of health with its poor defense - and he probably doesn't know I'm Banded yet. I'll hopefully get in one good smack on one of his bulky waters, but I'll probably just nip away at Ferrothorn some more.

Start of turn 13
MACnCheese called Toxicroak back!

UFO used Zen Headbutt!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 24% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hurts UFO

(~54%) vs.
(~24%)

Again the spiky menace rears its ugly tentacles. I could go for another Zen Headbutt predicting an immediate switch or hoping for a KO, but I've already taken a bunch of damage and I have the perfect counter in Celebi waiting in the wings.

Start of turn 14
sc4rs called UFO back!

MACnCheese sent out Latios!

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Latios!
(~56%) vs.
(~88%)

Now I'm in a bit of a tight spot. With HP Fire, Psychic, and Leaf Storm as my attacks, I can't do anything to Latios, and with Metagross weakened I don't have much choice other than to switch in Heatran or Blissey to take a Draco Meteor, and Blissey, as mentioned, has no SpD investment and will be really heavily dented by it. In goes Heatran to take...

Start of turn 15
sc4rs sent out Oven! (Heatran)
Pointed stones dug into Oven!

The foe's Latios used Surf!
It's super effective!
Oven lost 211 HP! (65% of its health)

Oven fainted!

(0%) vs.
(~88%)

...a rain-boosted Surf, nailing my Heatran on the switch. Poor guy never had a chance. Now I'm down to Salamence to take Scizor's U-turns. First things first though - Latios is probably locked into Surf, and Blissey can pass a Wish along to either Celebi or Metagross. In comes the fat pink blob.

Rain continues to fall!
sc4rs sent out Blissey!
(~64%) vs.
(~88%)

Start of turn 16
MACnCheese called Latios back!

Blissey used Wish!
(~70% )vs.
(~63%)

As I Wish, he sends in the washing machine. Now I could pass the Wish safely to Celebi, but if he's passing a Choice item, I'd rather it go to Suicune, who is probably going to be dead weight this match with Latios probably packing Thunder and Ferrothorn still lurking with Power Whip. I'll Protect to heal myself fully and see what he's planning on doing.

Start of turn 17
Blissey used Protect!

(100%) vs.
(~63%)

And now I get to do what I originally wanted - pass off a Wish.

Start of turn 18
Blissey lost 94 HP! (13% of its health)

Blissey used Wish!

(~92%) vs.
(~42%)

Scizor coming in is a bit annoying. He's not Banded because of Lefties, but his U-turn still has an outside chance of finishing off Metagross before Wish heals it, and it definitely will take out Celebi. I can't be sure he doesn't have Superpower for Blissey, either, and I think he's just outside of Seismic Toss range. Fortunately, Wish will heal off all the damage Salamence takes from Stealth Rocks.

Start of turn 19
sc4rs sent out Puff! (Salamence)
Pointed stones dug into Puff!

Puff intimidates the foe's Scizor!
The foe's Scizor's Attack fell!

The foe's Scizor used U-turn!
Puff lost 59 HP! (17% of its health)

Blissey's wish came true!
(100%)vs.
(~88%)

An Ice Beam is coming - unless he predicts the switch back to Blissey and goes for a Whirlpool, followed by Perish Song, which I wouldn't be able to escape. The former would be best taken by Suicune, while the latter by Celebi. Not wanting to lose Blissey to a dumb gimmick, send in a fairly-useless Crocune, or lock myself into Outrage, and pretty sure that I invested in defenses rather than offenses on Celebi for a reason, I switch her in and hope for the best.

Start of turn 20
sc4rs called Puff back!

The foe's Politoed used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
Sprite lost 122 HP! (30% of its health)
Sprite was frozen solid!

(~20%, FRZ) vs.
(~94%)

That freeze really is inconvenient. I can't take another Ice Beam, and would outspeed but can't OHKO with Leaf Storm until I defrost, which could be never. The freeze won't be a problem in the future due to Natural Cure, at least, so I can probably find a time (Ferrothorn) to come in and Recover. For now, though, I have to hope he's not running Whirlpool and send in the fat pink blob again (which I probably should've done in the first place, gimmick-set's-existence be damned)(Ed. note: especially since Drizzle Politoed can't learn Whirlpool - thanks Ada!)

Start of turn 21
sc4rs sent out Blissey!

The foe's Politoed used Scald!
Blissey lost 106 HP! (14% of its health)

Blissey was burned!
(70%, BRN) vs.
(100%)

It seems like Blissey being burned does very little, as she has Natural Cure and her only attack is Seismic Toss. I'm still trying to heal some of my guys, so I Wish and hope he sends in Toxicroak again.

Start of turn 22

Blissey used Wish!
(64%, BRN) vs.
(~27%)

At this point I get greedy. I'm pretty sure Ferrothorn has a pretty low HP stat, I know I'm faster from doublechecking the Turn 1 Stealth Rock order, and I'm going to get rid of the Iron Barbs damage anyway...I'll go for the takedown on Ferrothorn with Seismic Toss, thinking it'll ease my Suicune's time later in the match if I need it.

Start of turn 23
Blissey used Seismic Toss!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 27% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hurts Blissey
The foe's Ferrothorn fainted!

(~85%) vs.
(~88%)

Unfortunately, though, now there's no Wish coming for Metagross. I think he's going to Sub up, though, so I stare down the Fighting attack and Wish anyway. Worst case scenario, I lose Blissey and have Metagross back at full health. (Of course, I forgot about Latios waiting in the wings with Draco Meteor...)

Start of turn 24
The foe's Toxicroak used Drain Punch!
It's super effective!
Blissey lost 492 HP! (68% of its health)
Blissey had its energy drained!

Blissey used Wish!

(~11%) vs.
(100%)

That burn that I thought didn't matter ends up being a huge deal, however. Despite surviving, I'm inside of Stealth Rock's kill zone, and I can't afford to Protect because if he Substitutes, I'm pretty much done. I have to pass the Wish on to Metagross and sacrifice Blissey.

Start of turn 25

(~98%) vs.
(~36%)

Of course, now I'm kicking myself for not Protecting anyway just to see. Fortunately, Scizor can't do much besides U-Turn out, and CB Zen Headbutt with no Ferrothorn will put a huge dent in any member of his team, Latios included. I'm pretty sure at this point it'll KO Scizor, too.

Start of turn 26

UFO used Zen Headbutt!
The foe's Politoed lost 57% of its health!

(~98%) vs.
(~39%)

Time for the outspeed & 2HKO!

Start of turn 27

UFO used Zen Headbutt!

(~98%) vs.
(~45%)

Okay, NOW it's time for the outspeed and 2HKO!

Start of turn 28
UFO used Zen Headbutt!
The attack of UFO missed!

The foe's Politoed used Scald!
UFO lost 148 HP! (40% of its health)

(~58%) vs.
(~52%)

OKAY NOW IT'S TIME...but the miss means that it's too late. I can't risk a Scald burn or let Metagross go down to 20% because he still may need to tank Toxicroak's Drain Punch, and I'm not even sure I'd KO after another protect. I could sacrifice Blissey to guarantee that I get to Celebi without eating an Ice Beam, but I don't think he's ballsy enough to predict the switch when my staying in and Zen Headbutting would still kill him. He's going to Protect, letting me come in for free with my nearly-dead Celebi.

Start of turn 29
sc4rs called UFO back!

But it failed!

(~14%) vs.
(~58%)

I could Hidden Power to predict the Scizor coming back in, or Recover. Right now, I think keeping Celebi healthy is more important, so I have to let him get tempo back with U-turn, unfortunately.

Start of turn 30

Sprite used Recover!
Sprite regained health!

(~70%) vs.
(~30%)

At this point a thought occurs to me: I might outspeed him, in which case he's definitely within my KO range with Hidden Power Fire. I haven't invested in Celebi's Speed, but I'm assuming he hasn't either, which Leftovers and the miniscule damage from HP Fire suggest. I decide to go for it.

Start of turn 31
It's super effective!
The foe's Scizor lost 30% of its health!
The foe's Scizor fainted!

(~76%) vs.
(~50%)

Rotom-W comes in to force me to Leaf Storm, presumably to get in Latios at an advantage. I don't have much of a choice here, I have to take the KO where I can and hope that someone can tank a Latios Thunder.

Start of turn 32
The foe's Rotom-W used Trick!
The foe's Rotom-W switched items with Sprite!
The foe's Rotom-W obtained one Leftovers!
Sprite obtained one Choice Scarf!

Sprite used Leaf Storm!
It's super effective!
The foe's Rotom-W lost 50% of its health!
Sprite's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
The foe's Rotom-W fainted!

(~76%, scarfed) vs.
(~75%)

Being Scarfed also hurts, as I can't Recover off damage nearly as effectively anymore. I could sacrifice Celebi in order to get to Suicune and start boosting up, but at this point I might as well use Blissey as fodder to get in Suicune unblemished.

Start of turn 33
sc4rs sent out Blissey!
Blissey fainted!

MACnCheese called Latios back!

(0%) ->
(~52%) vs.
(~75%) ->
(100%)

The switch to Toxicroak is unexpected, but extremely extremely fortunate for me. I think he might have been predicting Suicune coming in immediately and decided getting a free Sub up was better than his other options with Latios, or perhaps he forgot how badly damaged Blissey was and thought he could gain the tempo. Now I get a free switch in to Metagross, and at this point he has to know that I'm Choiced. The only Pokemon he has left that can tank a Zen Headbutt is Latios, which is coincidentally my only threat left. Fortunately, I carry Ice Punch.

Start of turn 34

UFO used Ice Punch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Latios lost 63% of its health!
The foe's Latios fainted!

MACnCheese: gg
sc4rs: very, very gg

I've predict-avenged my Heatran, and at this point, as my opponent realizes, it's cleanup time. I can send in Salamence to Outrage his team away as neither Toed nor Croak outspeed me, and even if he predicts and Ice Beams on the switch, I can go back to Metagross and Zen Headbutt until the cows come home.

Start of turn 35
sc4rs called UFO back!
sc4rs sent out Puff! (Salamence)
Pointed stones dug into Puff!

Puff intimidates the foe's Politoed!
The foe's Politoed's Attack fell!

But it failed!

Start of turn 36
Puff used Outrage!
The foe's Politoed lost 49% of its health!
The foe's Politoed fainted!
Puff is hurt by its Life Orb!

Start of turn 37
The foe's Toxicroak used Sucker Punch!
Puff lost 102 HP! (30% of its health)

Puff used Outrage!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 93% of its health!
The foe's Toxicroak fainted!
Puff is hurt by its Life Orb!

sc4rs won the battle!

Props:
-My opponent's Surf prediction to take out Heatran, specifically, but his predictions all game long until the very end were pretty spot-on.
-CB Metagross for hitting ridiculously, ridiculously hard.

Slops:

-Celebi's HP Fire doing almost no damage to the two Pokemon in the entire metagame it's supposed to be doing damage to, and Heatran for doing nearly nothing all match, because of the rain. At least they have an excuse, unlike...
-Suicune for doing literally nothing all match. Isn't rain supposed to help Water types?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Above average battle, and good commentary to boot. It's not the best war story I've ever read, but it comes pretty darn close.

Format 10/10
Battle 9.5/10
Commentary 9.5/10

Total: 9.5/10

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
GG, scars! Loved the Metagross & Celebi action. His Scizor was weird, though. Leftovers, but no Roost? I mean he may have been afraid of Salamence switching in while it heals, which may explain why he was spamming U-turns.

Just some friendly advice; Whirlpool is incompatible with Drizzle so you probably won’t ever have to worry about that "gimmick", and if you do, then you’ll know about it. :)

It was a good read though, thanks for sharing.

Excellent commentary, and also a good show of CB Metagross. It's funny how Zen Headbutt is viable now, but of course missing stinks!

How much SpA does your Celebi have though?

Above average battle, and good commentary to boot. It's not the best war story I've ever read, but it comes pretty darn close.

Format 10/10
Battle 9.5/10
Commentary 9.5/10

Total: 9.5/10
Thanks for the kind words! Glad you liked it.

GG, scars! Loved the Metagross & Celebi action. His Scizor was weird, though. Leftovers, but no Roost? I mean he may have been afraid of Salamence switching in while it heals, which may explain why he was spamming U-turns.
If I had to guess I'd say you're probably right, especially since once Ferro goes down, nothing wants to take a +1 Outrage and Latios can no longer outspeed. Thanks for the kudos.

pretty cool, but I'm no fan of the small text
It seemed standard when I was looking through other warstories, and the text looked really, really long otherwise. I'll change it if enough people complain, though.

very enjoyable read. thanks for sharing!
Thanks!

Just some friendly advice; Whirlpool is incompatible with Drizzle so you probably won’t ever have to worry about that "gimmick", and if you do, then you’ll know about it. :)

It was a good read though, thanks for sharing.
I could've sworn that it got Whirlpool as an Egg move, but on further checking you're absolutely right. Good to know for the future, thanks for the tip!

Excellent commentary, and also a good show of CB Metagross. It's funny how Zen Headbutt is viable now, but of course missing stinks!

How much SpA does your Celebi have though?
Glad you liked it! Celebi currently is Calm, 252HP/92Def/164SpA, giving it final defenses of 404/259/259 and 276 SpA. It originally was a Cleric with Heal Bell, but now that I'm using it more offensively and have Blissey for Wish, I've been toying around with Nasty Plot over Recover with the same bulky spread.

And Zen Headbutt is awesome. Considering how often it hits for me I was definitely due for a miss - fortunately it didn't cost me the match.

Oh my god. I love your team very much, all Gen4 Pokemon and that Metagross is damn strong :> anyway, the warstory is very good too. For me, 10/10

DOWN WITH THE LEGENDS THEY SUCK!

Cool warstory though, the legendary side of your team really didn't do much. CB Metagross is a badass bitch. 8.5/10.

This was a nice warstory, you took the hax like a champ and your prediction skills were usually close to spot on, as were your opponents. It was catchy, quick and easy to read, but wasn't shallow either. Kudos! 9.5/10 It's a pity Mence and Suicune didn't do much though....T_T

Wow, nice warstory! I really like the high level of prediction in this match, and you both got lucky in that the hax was kept to a minimum. This is exactly the kind of match that deserves a warstory, and you definitely did it justice - good commentary, some nice insight into your thoughts, and a decent format; nothing special there, but definitely nothing bad.

All in all, love it. :)

Every bad or average warstory should base on this one...
And what I like in warstories is when both opponents predict moves: when you've predicted his Latios switch-in in turn 34 or when he predicted your Heatran switch-in in turn 15. However, there is some hax (freezehax with Celebi, forgiven because it has Natural Cure), but you've played both well (I loved the great usage of Volt Switch and U-turn by your opponent). Great comments and format as well.

Format: 10/10
Battle: 9/10
Commentary: 8/10
Overall: 9/10

Stratos

Banned deucer.
iirc the opponent's team was in an RMT long ago, called Team VoltTurn or something, but I'll see if i can dig it up later.

EDIT: Nope, different team with a Rotom/Scizor core and lati@s, but no rain.

You do realise that the main reason that your HP fire was doing little damage early on to Ferrothorn and Scizor was because of the rain wiping 50% power off it, not because of his team's amazing bulk? That's why he switched Politoed in.

Thanks to all with the compliments, I really appreciate them!

I'd like to see remaining Pokemon when one is KO'ed, but otherwise excellent warstory. I love predictions.
I didn't think about that; I'll make sure to add the Pokemon left in any future warstories. Thanks for the kudos.

You do realise that the main reason that your HP fire was doing little damage early on to Ferrothorn and Scizor was because of the rain wiping 50% power off it, not because of his team's amazing bulk? That's why he switched Politoed in.
Yes, I do know - even still, I was extremely surprised to find I needed Stealth Rock down to hit the 2HKO on Ferro and the OHKO on Scizor outside of rain.

Enjoyable read but the title gave away the outcome of the battle for me.
Another thing I didn't even consider - and beyond that I'm terrible at titles. I'll try to remember not to make the same mistake in the future, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)