Other Features When Genders are Given to Legendaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

1. Objective: Since I'm currently taking a course in linguistics and its various forms, I figured that I could make an entertainment (or other features if I'm wrong) article about the community's gender interpretation of legendary pokemon that aren't given official genders (Latios, Latias, Heatran, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, and Cresselia are the only ones with official genders). If you don't know, this idea belongs on the study of society and language [sociolinguistics]. Hence, the article idea that I posted nights ago, which you denied, will be replaced by this. If this one gets approved, I may be able to also use this as one of my thesis papers in college.
This article plans to see the various factors as to how Smogon's Community and Serebiiforums' Community give genders to legendary pokemon:

a. When would they give legendary pokemon genders during various moments of conversations?
  1. During normal/casual conversations?
  2. During technical metagame conversations? (think of debates when a pokemon is being suspected, or writing a Pokémon of the Article Highlights)
b. When a certain legendary pokemon is being talked about, what gender would they give to them? Would it be:
  1. He
  2. She
  3. It
c. Expanding on the second question, why do they interpret this legendary as a he/she/it? What are the factors that makes the legendary pokemon in question? Could it be the:
  1. Design and Pattern
  2. Color
  3. Vocal Tone / Cries from either the pokemon games / anime / movies
  4. Behavior interpreted by the pokemon anime / movies / games / Pokedex entries
  5. Cultural interpretations

Definitely, I need a better questionnaire than my current SurveyMonkey to obtain many more results (the free basic only handles a hundred. Definitely not big enough). So if any of you know a free online questionnaire like survey monkey with a bigger client capacity, tell me. Since right now that we have SO many legendary pokemon, I'm not sure if one article can cover all of the genderless pokemon. So, if I can't do it all, I planed a select few legendaries for the first batch.

Batch 1: My personal favorite, the childlike looking ones:
  1. Mew
  2. Celebi
  3. Jirachi
  4. Phione
  5. Manaphy
  6. Shaymin - Land
  7. Shaymin - Sky
  8. Victini
Batch 2: Groups Part 1
  1. Cobalion
  2. Terrakion
  3. Virizion
  4. Keldeo
  5. Articuno
  6. Zapdos
  7. Moltres
  8. Lugia
Batch 3: Groups Part 2
  1. Entei
  2. Raikou
  3. Suicune
  4. Ho-oh
  5. Regice
  6. Regirock
  7. Registeel
  8. Regigigas
Batch 4: Groups Part 3
  1. Groudon
  2. Kyogre
  3. Rayquaza
  4. Dialga
  5. Palkia
  6. Giratina
  7. Xerneas
  8. Yveltal
  9. Zygarde
Batch 5: Groups Part 4
  1. Uxie
  2. Mesprit
  3. Azelf
  4. Arceus
  5. Reshiram
  6. Zekrom
  7. Kyurem
Batch 6: Loners
  1. Mewtwo
  2. Deoxys
  3. Darkrai
  4. Meloetta
  5. Genesect
  6. Diancie

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You've put quite some thought into this, but in the end, I'm still leaning towards rejecting this article, for various reasons.
  • Even if you survey a good number of people, the answers will still be based on their own world views and personal preferences. Even though those variables are exactly what one's looking for on other topics, I don't see why this would be interesting to read about it. If 99% of the participants think Mew seem female, it'd still not be of that significant importance as I could still refer to Mew as male and remain politically correct, and vice versa.
  • The discussion about what's seen as 'male' and 'female' is a heated topic in this time and age, and while it's something that people could delve deeper into, I don't think attributing gender traits to fictional monsters is the proper way to tackle it.
  • You're asking us to approve an article that as of yet cannot be written, seeing as the survey hasn't been completed or even less begun. Granted, the two reasons above would still make me reject this pitch, but it's something to consider for future reference.
So for me, it's a no.

If this one gets approved, I may be able to also use this as one of my thesis papers in college.
You're free to do this anyway, if you feel that this topic has enough academical merit.

You've put quite some thought into this, but in the end, I'm still leaning towards rejecting this article, for various reasons.
  • Even if you survey a good number of people, the answers will still be based on their own world views and personal preferences. Even though those variables are exactly what one's looking for on other topics, I don't see why this would be interesting to read about it. If 99% of the participants think Mew seem female, it'd still not be of that significant importance as I could still refer to Mew as male and remain politically correct, and vice versa.
  • The discussion about what's seen as 'male' and 'female' is a heated topic in this time and age, and while it's something that people could delve deeper into, I don't think attributing gender traits to fictional monsters is the proper way to tackle it.
  • You're asking us to approve an article that as of yet cannot be written, seeing as the survey hasn't been completed or even less begun. Granted, the two reasons above would still make me reject this pitch, but it's something to consider for future reference.
So for me, it's a no.

You're free to do this anyway, if you feel that this topic has enough academical merit.
If that is the troubling issue, I have no problems with it. On the last part of your message, it is your way to reassure me that I can post a questionnaire on the forums here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)