• Johnny

Votes: 95 55.9%
  • Spike

Votes: 94 55.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny.

I am not super competative like I was when I was younger, I like to battle in a more aggressive/casual enviroment. I will still EV train and what not, but not super obsessively. I still want a challange, but I don't want to have to worry about the superfine details.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
HA!

Johnny for sure! You would not believe what my favorite pokemon is right now! XD

Mr.378

The Iron Man of Ubers
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would say I'm a combination of all three.

I like powerful pokemon. But also like too experiment with team every now and again. Of course, winning is alway a nice goal too have also.

I'm going to say I'm more of a Spike type of player. I make teams that actually work and I strive to win. I can be a bit of a Johnny sometimes when I'm constructing my team, though, such as my use of Magmortar when I know Heatran is better statistically. I have also been known to incorporate other UUs into my team, making me even more of a Johnny.

CM Bronzong, Ledian and Dunsparce teams, and a Scizor that uses HP Electric to beat Gyarados. If anyone on these forums is more Johnny than me, please stand up.

You seem to think that being a Spike makes you an enemy of Johnny's or Timmy's because being a Spike automatically makes you "an enemy of fun and individuality." This isn't true at all.
I know this isn't true. I just think this topic encourages people who do think it's true.

Also, please do not misunderstand, Johnny isn't a label that includes criticism. Just because they think OU is boring does not mean they are frowning down upon those who do play it.
My problem is merely that the "tournament player" seems here to be put into a category (though I thank BurtonEarny for clarifying what Spike is supposed to mean) separate from casuals, in a competition-geared forum. Like I said, the possible repercussions I described were regardless of intention on the part of the topic creator.

As aforementioned, there are always gonna be people who believe this. Which I'm fine with, but don't assume that every Johnny player is like that. Not everyone believes that their creativity is sullen because they are forced to use an OU or two to make their team work. Being creative doesn't always mean limiting yourself, but just trying to achieve a different goal than your usual teams.
I apologize for coming off as if I was describing ALL Johnnys. It's just that I think ignorant people can easily justify themselves by wearing a Johnny label. Like this:

Hi, My name is Johnny. I love to kick your asses with less standard and more unique type of teams.

I'm somewhere between Timmy and Johnny. I like Rampardos and Rhypherior, but I do some odd things on my teams too. Not so much as the off-kilter Pokemon but off-kilter movesets on those Pokemon. I'm not much into stall and as such I use highly offensive teams and defenses that can actually do something (I don't use Blissey or Skarmory much).

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm such a Johnny, I love taking UU/NU pokes into OU and watching them be amazing (heres looking at you, Ursaring).

When I first played I was a Spike, through and through. I used standard sets, and wanted to win, pure and simple. However, as I played I slowly became more and more Johnny. Pokemon got boring to me after a time, particularly OU. It was the same standard sets fighting the same standard sets. Even though I was getting better and winning more often, it wasn't fun anymore. I quit playing for a long time because it was simply not fun anymore. When I came back, I kept myself entertained by making teams that were still competitive, but had a more personal touch. I put together my own EV spreads, used unorthodox Pokemon, EV spreads, and movesets, and changed my mindset a bit. I still wanted to win, don't get me wrong. But I could still enjoy a loss if I got to see my own ideas work in an effective manner. I wasn't a pure Spike or pure Johnny. As others have set, that would be counterproductive. However, being a Johnny is what made the game fun to me.

I use to play Magic: The Gathering, than I stopped for some unknown reason. Ah, good times.

I would say that I am a Spike because I use standards. The other two maybe.

I was a Johnny in M:TG, and I'm a Johnny in Pokémon. I really like to go out of the way and use innovative strategies.

I'm mostly Spike. If I'm building a Rain Dance team, then i would want to use the best Pokemon and strategies for a rain dance team. Of course this is obvious and Pokemon such as Kingdra and Jolteon are Pokemon I never build a rain dance team without becuase of their usefulness.

I want to clarify one thing:
Using a UU/ NU doesn't really make you a Johnny by default... Using them either means you have a good reason to use that specific pokemon over an OU one (johnny, timmy, and spike can do this its not a right reserved for Johnnies only), or you are probably wasting a spot where something better could go. Using a lower tier pokemon doesn't have too much of an impact on what style of player you are because all three of the styles will likely do this at least to some degree.

Why picking UU's and NU's wastefully is not a habit for a Johnny-
Making wasteful choices is the EXACT opposite of what Johnny wants to be doing. He is using teams that are HIGHLY synergistic. All of his pokemon serve a purpose and perform a specific role on that team. He meticulously makes his selection of pokemon because he NEEDS that synergy on his side... hes prone to pick strategies that stray from the beaten path, and so picking a pokemon that does not do its job or is merely filler is unacceptable for Johnny since he does not want the handicap(and to him, the insult) of having a team that doesn't mesh. Picking pokemon that are UU may just give him some extra sense of satisfaction, but if his team doesn't need that pokemon then he usually wont use it. What tier the pokemon in is much less important to Johnny than what that pokemon can do for a specific team.

Please dont say "Im Johnny, I like using UU's in OU." Johnny doesn't give if his whole team is OU just so long as he is trying new strategies that others usually don't at the same time. He wants his teams to be instantly recognizable. Not necessarily because he can throw low tier pokemon on a team and start laddering, but because he spends a great deal of time selecting pokemon that work well together in doing their job.

I think a better Johnny statement would sound like:
"I really enjoy team making; experimenting with pokemon and looking for new synergies is fascinating! I have this soft spot for using UU's in OU, and I love it when a team I'm working on benefits from having some."

I want to clarify one thing:
Using a UU/ NU doesn't really make you a Johnny by default... Using them either means you have a good reason to use that specific pokemon over an OU one (johnny, timmy, and spike can do this... its not a right reserved for Johnnies only), or you are probably wasting a spot where something better could go.

Making wasteful choices is the EXACT opposite of what Johnny wants to be doing. He is using teams that are HIGHLY synergistic. All of his pokemon serve a purpose and perform a specific role on that team. He meticulously makes his selection of pokemon because he NEEDS that synergy on his side... hes prone to pick strategies that stray from the beaten path, and so picking a pokemon that does not do its job or is merely filler is unacceptable for Johnny.

Please dont say "Im Johnny, I like using UU's in OU." Johnny doesn't give if his whole team if OU just so long as he is setting himself apart from everyone else. He wants his teams to be instantly recognizable. Not necessarily because he can throw low tier pokemon on a team and start laddering, but because he spends a great deal of time selecting pokemon that work well together in doing their job.

I think a better Johnny statement would sound like:
"I really enjoy team making; experimenting with pokemon and looking for new synergies is fascinating! I have this soft spot for using UU's in OU, and I love it when a team I'm working on benefits from having some."
I'd like to add a differing opinion to the clarification. Being a Johnny does not essentially mean that you set yourself apart from the crowd. It does, de facto, do that, but it is more of a consequence rather than a cause. Johnnies (lol) are attracted to team building, and love trying to invent new ways to win that are more obscure and abstract than the norm. That sets them apart from the metagame, but it isn't solitary that Johnnies are looking for. In a way, they are trying to make pancakes like everyone else but instead of settling for the bog-standard recipe, Johnnies are more likely to just grab some eggs, milk and flour, add some cinnamon and then go crazy.

What I really like about Johnnies, unrelated of what game they are playing, is that the metagame evolves a lot when they are running rampant - after all, if the Spikes decided that the cinnamon pancakes were better than the regular ones, they would throw the latter in the bin and use cinnamon from thereon.

I agree with you on the UUs in OU point, however.

I'm a Timmy I guess. I like to hit hard with my favorite pokemon. Although lately, I've found myself to be more of a Spike, using what seems to be working in the Standard Metagame and straying far from the norm.

I'd like to add a differing opinion to the clarification. Being a Johnny does not essentially mean that you set yourself apart from the crowd. It does, de facto, do that, but it is more of a consequence rather than a cause. Johnnies (lol) are attracted to team building, and love trying to invent new ways to win that are more obscure and abstract than the norm. That sets them apart from the metagame, but it isn't solitary that Johnnies are looking for. In a way, they are trying to make pancakes like everyone else but instead of settling for the bog-standard recipe, Johnnies are more likely to just grab some eggs, milk and flour, add some cinnamon and then go crazy.

What I really like about Johnnies, unrelated of what game they are playing, is that the metagame evolves a lot when they are running rampant - after all, if the Spikes decided that the cinnamon pancakes were better than the regular ones, they would throw the latter in the bin and use cinnamon from thereon.

I agree with you on the UUs in OU point, however.

You said (Im paraphrasing):
"I dont think that johnnies try to set themselves apart, but they want to try new obscure ways to win." That is setting oneself apart. Whether or not its intended, its part of being a Johnny. However, I'll edit my post because I see what you mean, and I meant to say what you mean... I guess I just didn't word it clearly. Also, I think it can be a bit of Both/ And in that regard not a set in stone Either/ Or.

You said (Im paraphrasing):
"I dont think that johnnies try to set themselves apart, but they want to try new obscure ways to win." That is setting oneself apart. Whether or not its intended, its part of being a Johnny. However, I'll edit my post because I see what you mean, and I meant to say what you mean... I guess I just didn't word it clearly. Also, I think it can be a bit of Both/ And in that regard not a set in stone Either/ Or.
Ah yeah, what I meant with my post was that Johnnies do set themselves apart by trying new teams, constructing weird movesets and getting it all to work in a neat synergy, but they don't do that for the sake of setting themselves apart.

I guess the motive varies for each Johnny, but I would think that the most common motive is "because the metagame is boring".

I guess the motive varies for each Johnny, but I would think that the most common motive is "because the metagame is boring".
That's a nice thought, because of how the metagame is, it's a bit more fun (for at least me) to try something new and see how it works out, instead of the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)