What d'you think of when you listen to music?

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
Typically I'm just thinking about the lyrics, because I'll be singing them. Otherwise, depending on the song, I'll try and imagine any point in my life that resembles the lyrics (if applicable) or I'll just try and fantasize about my life in terms of the lyrics. I love getting lost in a song.

With some music, I will lip sync simply for the fun of it. Otherwise, I imagine fantasy scenes in my head involving adventures, battles, many different things.

Sometimes however music makes me think of things I disdain.

Well, I picked up guitar about a month and a half ago, so naturally, I've been listening out for the guitar (I always have, but more intently now) and envisioning myself playing it in front of people.

Which leads into a short little offtopic thing that happened just an hour and a half ago. I was at something of a party, nothing real big, but not too small either. I picked up my friend's Squire Stratocaster (thing is way too fucking twangy, but whatever), tuned it AGCFAD, and played bits of March of The Fire Ants in front of people. When I got to the that epic guitar bridge, people were just like "wow" even though it really wasn't all that difficult. What a rush.

It really depends on the kind of song. With a lot of prog I tend to focus on a different instrument every time I listen to the song (vocals are an instrument) in a cycle. Otherwise, being a pianist/keyboardist, I will usually listen to the keyboard line if there is one, or the guitar line if it's particularly good, and think about what how it would function as a keyboard piece.

That considered, I also listen to a lot of music inspired mostly by lyrics. In that case, the vocal line (not to be mistaken with the lyrics) is the most important part of the song, but the lyrics themselves are obviously what I focus on. Although, from time to time, some of the bands I listen to have an amazing bassline on most of their songs and it can split my attention.

I've noticed that if the drums are overly repetitive, or lack that technical touch, I can't enjoy a song at all. When I immerse myself into the rhythm, a dull beat becomes a massive buzzkill. That may make it the most important aspect of a good song for me, but as I tend to notice it last, it doesn't make or break anything straight away.

I've always thought that people who play instruments and/or have a decent musical knowledge would be listening largely to the instrument they play, or filter through and focus on what instrument they want to, rather than listening to the piece as a whole. Generally speaking of course.

It kinda frustrates me when I'm listening to some music with some friends and I'm like "Holy shit dude, this bassline is sweeeet!" And he's like "Whaa? Can't hear it bro"
Being a bass player myself, this frustrates me too. In a lot of current music basslines are usually overshadowed by vocals, guitars, and drums simply because it's harder to hear the lower frequencies. You really have to pay attention to it if you want to hear it. The bassline has to be either really loud or just really impressive for people to actually appreciate it. Bass players must either learn to accept it or step up their playing so they're not drowned out :]

Certain colors ALWAYS pop into my head when hearing a song or the title of a familiar song. Right when I hear a song or the title is mentioned instantly a color comes into my mind. This color is usually determined by the overall feel of the song, though it's hard to describe what types of songs evoke certain colors because there's a huge variety of colors that say melancholic songs take on. Example: Portishead songs for the most part usually take on the colors purple, black, blue, and red, whereas a band like Daft Punk has a lot of orange and green. It's most likely something to do with the emotions that songs evoke. Album artwork also contributes a lot to the colors I picture in my mind. This seems pretty common among the people that I've asked in real life, and I was surprised this hasn't been mentioned so far in this thread. Coincidentally, my favorite albums have the largest variety of colors!

I'm not musically educated, but the bassline in a lot of the music I listen to is really noticable (and good) without being overpowering.

That said, I listen to Fleetwood Mac a lot, and John McVie is one of the best bassists in the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)