OU What does ADV without Tyranitar look like?

No, Tyranitar will never be banned whether it is too much for the tier or not. That's not what this thread is about.
No, I'm not saying it should be banned nor that it would make a better metagame if it was.

Is there a precedent to a Ttar-less metagame?
Has there ever been any tournaments or a period of time where people wanted to test this out?

Some differences I'd expect from the top of my head:
  • Any mon could use Protect for extra leftover healing. This would become especially relevant for bulky mons vulnerable to sandstorm without reliable recovery.
    • To a lesser extent, any mon could use Substitute easier.
    • Related to this, Pressure stalling could be viable. Every Pressure mon except Aero is vulnerable to sandstorm.
  • Rock resists would not be as mandatory (CB Aero Rock Slide would still steal games).
  • Teams with Pursuit would become rarer, making spinning more difficult. Ttar is a lot easier to fit in teams than the likes of Houndoom or Umbreon.
    • Houndoom is now the only mon that can OHKO a bulky Gengar switching out.
  • In contrast, passive damage would not be as effective since every mon will benefit from leftovers. For example, even the slightest chip damage on defensive Gengar can make the difference in surviving a DD Mence HP Flying.
  • Endure Salac Reversal becomes possible for actual Fighting type mons (Hera, Blaziken, etc.). Every team may need a mandatory answer to this like we do with DD Ttar/Mence/etc.
  • Morning Sun and Moonlight actually becomes worth it. Cool option for Moltres. Umbreon with Magneton support could be great.
  • Various crucial damage calcs will need to be considered (e.g. defensive Gengar from before, Bold Blissey Ice Beam vs Rest Zapdos).
  • Harder to figure out the speed of Pokemon if they are both at 100% HP (faster mon gets chipped by sandstorm and heals first).
    • Also harder to figure out if a mon is running anything other than Leftovers.
  • Fighting type leads will be less common (as uncommon as they are already).
Notable winners in OU:
  • Suicune. Bulkier than Swampert. Can use Sub CM sets against Blissey without clearing weather. May even increase usage of Roar Suicune to beat other boosters. Vaporeon may rise to counter.
  • Snorlax. Still needs Mag support probably.
  • Heracross. Endure Salac Reversal becomes an option. Hates Flying type checks can heal from leftovers now though.
I'm sure I missed out a lot of other things. Tyranitar and Sandstorm are crucial parts of the metagame, but it does feel restricting at times.

Lead Zapdos would be super threatening without Tar. Maybe lead Aerodactyl would become popular as it wouldn't need hp fighting for Tar. Milotic would also probably become more popular as spikes are less of a threat when you can get guaranteed lefties chip heal every turn. I think overall spikes would become less oppressive as now every pokemon can use protect to heal off a layer of spikes.

I think Snorlax would be the biggest winner overall if tar was banned. Chip damage and spikes wouldn't be as threatening with lefties healing every turn. While you wouldn't have to choose between earthquake or shadow ball anymore. As with support from a Swampert or a similar grounded steel check, I don't think you have to run earthquake as offensive rock spam teams that could overwhelm Swampert really wouldn't exist without Tar.

Lead Jolt may rise to counter Zap in response. Protect would be punished hard with Sub.
Aero would still be unfavourable against Protect Zap since it can scout its move unless it isn't using CB.
Spikes would definitely be less oppressive.

I think Snorlax would still struggle but it would definitely be better off. Contending with a mixture of Skarmory, Gengar, Metagross, etc. on the same team can become quite the challenge (and Pursuiting Gengar is harder now).

I didn't think about Rock spam disappearing. But for Swampert, I think there is a good chance it's usage would go down for Suicune since it is bulkier and handles mix attackers better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)