Pokémon Wellspring Mask

Ogerpon máscara fuente HOME.png

Type: Grass/Water
Stats:
80/120/84/60/96/110 (550)
Ability: Water Absorb / When Tera'd: Embody Aspect
New Ability: Embody Aspect: If this Pokemon is Ogerpon and is holding the Wellspring Mask, when terastalizing, gets a +1 SpDef boost, has different effects with other masks
Notable Moves:
  • Ivy Cudgel
  • Throat Chop
  • Wood Hammer
  • Power Whip
  • Superpower
  • Trailblaze
  • Brick Break
  • Zen Headbutt
  • U-Turn
  • Stomping Tantrum
  • Play Rough
  • Knock Off
  • Horn Leech
  • Leech Seed
  • Synthesis
  • Taunt
  • Swords Dance
  • Spikes
  • Encore
New Move: Ivy Cudgel
100BP | 100% Acc | Physical | Grass | 10 (16) PP
Has a high chance to crit, changes type if the user holds a specific mask, if it holds the Wellspring Mask, Ivy Cudgel becomes a Water-type move

Pros:
  • Amazing movepool, with STABs like Ivy Cudgel and Wood Hammer, good coverage in Superpower, Zen Headbutt, Stomping Tantrum, Throat Chop and Play Rough, good utility moves in Knock Off, Encore, Taunt, U-Turn to pivot, Synthesis to heal up, Spikes to work as a hazard setter, and can boost up and become a threatening sweeper with Trailblaze and Swords Dance
  • Good offensive stats
  • Water Absorb makes it inmune to Scald, which is great for a physical attacker, be able to switch into Flip Turn, and also be able to switch in freely into Walking Wake or Greninja using a Water-type move
  • Has good matchups against Great Tusk, Samurott-Hisui, Ting-Lu, Garganacl, Moltres, Manaphy, Greninja, and Rotom-Wash
  • It is really good against rain teams, being able to stop their strongest sweepers like Basculegion, Floatzel and Barraskewda in its tracks, while also taking advantage of rain, boosting its already strong Ivy Cudgel
  • Wellspring Mask lets it be able to absorb Knock Off
  • Embody Aspect lets it be able to take hits kinda well from many of the special attackers on the tier
  • Wellspring Mask gives it a boost of 20% damage to all of its attacks with no drawback, because of this, and its 120 base atk stat, it has some big damage output
Cons:
  • Its locked into Wellspring Mask as its item, which isnt a bad item at all, but would prefer if it could use stuff like Choice Scarf, Choice Band, Life Orb, Leftovers or HDB
  • Its Tera Type is locked into Water, which isnt a bad Tera Type, since its a good defensive type and boosts its STAB, but it would love to be able to have other Tera Types
  • Its STABs are both walled by Grass and Dragon types
  • Its strongest Grass STAB option makes it take recoil damage, which stacks a lot over time due to it not being able to hold Leftovers or HDB, and its second strongest is inconsistant
Sets:

Offensive

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Ivy Cudgel
- Wood Hammer / Power Whip / Horn Leech
- Superpower / Play Rough / Stomping Tantrum / Knock Off

Sweeper
Jolly Nature
- Trailblaze
- Ivy Cudgel
- Wood Hammer / Play Rough / Horn Leech / Superpower / Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Offensive Pivot
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Ivy Cudgel
- Knock Off
- Taunt / Encore / Spikes / Leech Seed / Synthesis

Last edited:
Care to explain what you mean? I'm confused.
When Ogerpon holds any mask, the damage of its damaging attacks gets boosted by 1.2 percent, as an example, when Teal Mask Ogerpon (when it isnt holding a mask) uses Superpower, its BP is 120, but when holding any mask (Cornerstone, Hearthflame, Wellspring), its BP is 144, same goes for STAB moves + the STAB boost

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
When Ogerpon holds any mask, the damage of its damaging attacks gets boosted by 1.2 percent, as an example, when Teal Mask Ogerpon (when it isnt holding a mask) uses Superpower, its BP is 120, but when holding any mask (Cornerstone, Hearthflame, Wellspring), its BP is 144, same goes for STAB moves + the STAB boost
So, basically, Ogerpon (aside from Teal Mask) gets a ×1.2 multiplier when it uses its Tera Type, and it boosts their PhyA and SpcA? I'm gonna assume this doesn't include the stat boosts they get when they use their Tera Type.

So, basically, Ogerpon (aside from Teal Mask) gets a ×1.2 multiplier when it uses its Tera Type, and it boosts their PhyA and SpcA? I'm gonna assume this doesn't include the stat boosts they get when they use their Tera Type.
Nope, its always, in and outside of Tera, if u want more info, you can check the link on Blitz's post

So I have mixed feeling on this mon. On one hand, its got superb utility between its access to a variety of support moves, being able to switch into mons like Walking Wake, Manaphy, good sustain with Horn Leech and Synthesis, and solid speed tier. In particular, getting the jump on Manaphy is huge. Its access to a fast Encore is a powerful tool, allowing it to put a lot of setup sweepers like certain variants of Ursaluna, Garganacl, Great Tusk, and the aforementioned Manaphy in losing positions. On the other hands, its speed oftentimes doesn't feel good enough, with mons like Cinderace and Dragapult getting the jump on it and hitting it with their Strong U-Turns. Furthermore, its bulk is not that impressive, and most importantly, it is getting worn down by hazards incredibly quickly despite its ok sustain. I also find its STAB coverage to be quite lacking and exploitable when running 2 Atk sets, which can make it hard to fit support moves like Encore and Swords Dance on the same set and still sweep. I also find that this Pokemon doesn't neccisarily do what I want a Water-type to do since its Grass-typing makes it neutral to Fire moves and its vulnerable to Will-O-Wisp, which prevent it from switching into most of OU's Fire-types. Tera can fix some of these issues, but while Ogrepon is a solid Tera user (especially since Tera Water neutralizes all of its weaknesses), the fact that its typing is telegraphed can be problematic. Furthermore, its hazard vulnerability gives it more issues using Tera IMO compared to similar Pokemon like Gholdengo.

I think this Pokemon has a lot of potential given its strong utility movepool and good statline. I am thinking part of the problems I am running into when using it stem from not investing into bulk, which might be what this mon needs to reach its max potential with Utility and Bulky Swords Dance sets. I am excited to see what players come up with for this Pokemon.

So I have mixed feeling on this mon. On one hand, its got superb utility between its access to a variety of support moves, being able to switch into mons like Walking Wake, Manaphy, good sustain with Horn Leech and Synthesis, and solid speed tier. In particular, getting the jump on Manaphy is huge. Its access to a fast Encore is a powerful tool, allowing it to put a lot of setup sweepers like certain variants of Ursaluna, Garganacl, Great Tusk, and the aforementioned Manaphy in losing positions. On the other hands, its speed oftentimes doesn't feel good enough, with mons like Cinderace and Dragapult getting the jump on it and hitting it with their Strong U-Turns. Furthermore, its bulk is not that impressive, and most importantly, it is getting worn down by hazards incredibly quickly despite its ok sustain. I also find its STAB coverage to be quite lacking and exploitable when running 2 Atk sets, which can make it hard to fit support moves like Encore and Swords Dance on the same set and still sweep. I also find that this Pokemon doesn't neccisarily do what I want a Water-type to do since its Grass-typing makes it neutral to Fire moves and its vulnerable to Will-O-Wisp, which prevent it from switching into most of OU's Fire-types. Tera can fix some of these issues, but while Ogrepon is a solid Tera user (especially since Tera Water neutralizes all of its weaknesses), the fact that its typing is telegraphed can be problematic. Furthermore, its hazard vulnerability gives it more issues using Tera IMO compared to similar Pokemon like Gholdengo.

I think this Pokemon has a lot of potential given its strong utility movepool and good statline. I am thinking part of the problems I am running into when using it stem from not investing into bulk, which might be what this mon needs to reach its max potential with Utility and Bulky Swords Dance sets. I am excited to see what players come up with for this Pokemon.
Funnily enough I am still yet to play post DLC OU (will start today), but this Mon is something I have been looking for during whole Gen: a Rain Mon that protects you from opposing Rains.
One of the biggest problems that I saw this Gen when building Rains is that it often came up to winning speed ties between Banded Floatzels and later Basculegions. Rain often lacks defensive switch-ins to opposing choiced Swift Swim Mon, who just OHKOs everything with Tera Water. So, I often used things like Gastro and Clodsire, who are immune to Water. But they are passive momentum killers. Volcanion was a good upgrade, being a Mon that fucks all weathers, but it still has problems: either needs Boots (suboptimal item in my opinion for Mons like it) or takes a million from hazards and worn down quickly.
Waterpon doesn't have this problem, it's not weak to Rocks and it walls opposing Rain Mons, also outspeeding the massive threat Manaphy.

Of course now we might have the problem of Rain battles being decided with Waterpon speedties, but I think those are easier to handle and might bring some creativity in Specs Tornadus/Kilowattrel, bulky Hurricane Nite or even shit like Overqwil with a timely switch-in into non Water Moves.

Overall, this now looks like the best non Swift Swim Rain abusser.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)