Weatherless OU- First RMT

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Introduction: I began building this team about a week or so ago as i wanted to build a team around the newly released Genesect and it has been my most successful team to date, peaking at 44th on the PS! ladder (this was after the ladder decayed so everyone was down a few points but i think it still counts). In terms of points i peaked around 1720 so maybe thats a better representation. Overall this team is very offensively oriented, utilizing voltturn strategies and dugtrio's arena trap to take out any poke's that can wall most of the team, such as heatran and other steel types. There are a few threats to this team but i'll discuss those as i go and at the end of the descriptions but anyways here's the team.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Hasty
Trait: Download
EV: 252 spe/ 252 sp att/ 4 att
Moveset: Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
U-Turn

Basically i wanted to use genesect as a scout in the early game and then as i wear the team down/ find weak spots i would utilize his sweeping abilities. Also the moveset allows for maximum coverage to allow him to hit nearly everything for neutral damage and then switch out fast to keep my momentum going. Lately I have been leading with genesect as it does three things extremely well from that position. First it can get a quick ohko on the opponents lead, second it can just u-turn out to give me a matchup advantage and third it attracts opposing magnezone and heatran to lead and i can u turn into dugtrio and trap them early, removing genesects major threats and removing steel types for latios to lay seige with its dragon STAB.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Trait: Arena Trap
EV: 252 att/ 252 spe/ 4 hp
Moveset: Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sucker Punch
Reversal

As i said in Genesect's description, Dugtrio partners wonderfully with him, trapping all of his major threats and even more. As i also said before what he does for Genesect is just as helpful for Latios as it gets rid of/ cripples its major counters such as Jirachi and Ferrothorn and stone edge threatens sweepers like tornadus, thundurus and volcarona. however if there is hail or hazards in play dugtrio's use is severely prohibited as his focus sash is rendered useless, making it much harder for my team to deal with certain pokes.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
Trait: Technician
EV: 252 att/ 252 spe/ 4 hp
Moveset: Spore
Mach Punch
Low Sweep
Bullet Seed

Breloom provides a lot of things to my team that wouldnt be there otherwise; a reliable status move in spore, a reliable check to common rain dance team members like politoed, gastrodon and ferrothorn, and a more reliable physical threat than dugtrio. Breloom can come in easily on walls like ferrothorn, vaporeon and blissey/ chansey and either ohko by bluffing a choice item with spore as the opponent uses protect and then stays in, or go straight for the attack and spore the poke that switches in. Spore is extremely important to this team as putting a key opponent to sleep can open up another team members, or breloom's own sweep.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Nature: Calm
Trait: Flash Fire
EV: 252 hp/ 252 sp def/ 4 sp att
Moveset: Stealth Rock
Lava Plume
Will-o-Wisp
Roar

Heatran also has very good synergy with genesect as he can easily witch in on fire type attacks to get a flash fire boost, set up stealth rocks on the switch and cripple boosting physical sweepers like DD Dragonite, Haxorus and Salamence with will-o-wisp and proceeding to roar them out. he also pairs very well with latios as latios has immunity to ground type attacks and heatran tanks dragon and ice attacks directed at latios. The most important move is definitely roar though as it prevents setup sweepers from having a field day on my otherwise frail team.

Latios @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive
Trait: Levitate
EV: 252 spe/ 40 atk/ 216 sp att
Moveset: Draco Meteor
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

This is actually a set that is new to this team that has worked extremely well. This isnt my set, i got it from rayblaster while battling him on PS! and i gotta thank him for letting me use it as it really helps against a lot of threats to my team. Originally i was using a choice specs set but that was somewhat redundant with jolteon's set and it didnt provide the versatility that this set does which is something my team needed desperately. For example, one dragon dance brings its attack to a respectable level and allows it to outspeed many choiced threats such as terrakion and salamence, 2hko-ing terrakion switching in expecting to easily take a draco meteor in the sand, and ohko-ing salamence easily even with a -2 draco meteor after stealth rocks. getting to +2 allows it to outspeed chlorophyll sweepers and dish out massive damage to specially defensive walls like blissey, chansey and gastrodon that were previously difficult for my team to take out. Lastly it attracts heatran and jirachi but both take massive amounts of damage from earthquake, especially heatran obviously. That last part may seem like just the same thing Dugtrio is doing but those would be very big threats if they werent handled properly. Basically this set gives me the ability to take out many different kinds of walls early on in the match or gives me another late-game sweeping option. Also i think latios' ability to continue boosting speed and attack and the fact that it is very rarely seen makes it a better option than mixmence. The lack of SR weakness when i dont have a spinner is helpful as well.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
Trait: Volt Absorb
EV: 252 sp att/ 252 spe/ 4 def
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Shadow Ball
HP Ice

Basically jolteon is only used as a late game sweeper as opposed to the rest of my team who can have multiple functions depending on the match. This doesnt mean he's a slouch however as i have finished off countless matches with him, especially against offensive rain teams because after i take care of the one or two electric resists on the opposing team like ferrothorn, gastrodon or thundurus-t, jolteon is free to sweep. however, i feel like in some situations that genesect would be able to accomplish this just as well with his access to thunderbolt (granted jolteon's hits like twice as hard). If there was a spot that i would say i would be open to switching to another poke, it would probably be here. not because jolteon doesnt do its job, but rather because i think there's a possibility for something to do it better. And that job would be sweeping late game alongside genesect, taking advantage of threats that my team has cleared out of the way through dugtrio's trapping, heatrans crippling of setup sweepers, latios' wallbreaking, and breloom's spore/ physical power.

Hope you've enjoyed my team, any suggestions will be tested and would be greatly appreciated! and thanks once again to rayblaster for the latios set!

Hey man, you have a pretty solid team here. DD Latios isn't that bad actually. I used one a couple of days ago on ladder to lure and OHKO Jirachi and it worked out pretty good. Anyways, onto the team. Your Dugtrio would really benefit from a spinner. If your opponent sets up hazards, your Sash is just a waste. With no Focus Sash, Reversal has a lower chance of being useful at all. I recommend switching your Jolteon out for a Starmie. A moveset consisting of Hydro Pump / Thunderbolt / Recover / Rapid Spin would be fine, along with an EV Spread of 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed, a Timid Nature, and Life Orb of course. Starmie is able to spin any hazards away, allowing Dugtrio to perform to its fullest. Starmie is also able to OHKO Thundurus-T after Stealth Rock with Hydro Pump which is a bonus. With access to Thunderbolt, Starmie can also shutdown opposing Rain teams by 2HKO'ing both Defensive Politoed and Tentacruel with Thunderbolt. Starmie can surprisingly play a decent offensive role since it has an amazing speed stat and a good Special Attack stat. Another suggestion I have for you is trying out HP Fire over Draco Meteor on Latios to be able to take out Scizor, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory, who otherwise wall your set pretty easily. An alternative spread with HP Fire over Draco Meteor would be 252 Attack / 4 Special Attack / 252 Speed as you are able to maximize your physical attacking, while still being able to hit the steels mentioned above. I also highly suggest using Toxic over Will-o-Wisp on Heatran. Lava Plume already has a 30% chance of burning the foe, so it is kind of redundant. My final suggestion is trying out Memento over Sucker Punch on Dugtrio. Once Dugtrio has eliminated the Pokemon needed, you can use Memento to help you set up easily with Latios, who will be difficult to revenge at +2. That's all I have man. Hope I helped and good luck with the team.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

you're right- Jolteon does seem out of place here. Two threats that stand out to me immediately are Mamoswine, Infernape, and Volcorona. All can hit every member of your team super effectively except Genesect for Mamo, Dugtrio for Nape, and Jolteon/Heatran for the latter (which means, whould Volc carry HP Ground, you're done for) Genesect can handle Mamoswine somewhat, and Dugtrio Volcorona and Infernape- but none can come in to a hit and survive. To help you handle both Mamo and Volc, I thing using a bulky water type would help greatly. However, since maintaining offense is important to you, I suggest you switch Jolteon with Choice Scarf Gyarados.

Gyarados @ Choice Scarf
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly
~Waterfall
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake
~Ice Fang / Bounce

Gyarados is a great cleaner- and it only gets stronger and stronger as it goes. It fears nothing from Choiced Mamoswine, and with right preiction can severely dent or KO LO Mamo. Volcorona is not a problem either- you resist all of it's moves, and can OHKO with Stone Edge. Infernape definitely won't like taking a Waterfall to the face, and seeing as most Napes are choiced if you come in on the right move there should be no problems Although Gyara loses the ability to pivot like Jolteon, it has great synergy with your team. One of the greatest things Gyarados hates is Ferrothorn- which Genesect, Breloom, Heatran, and Dugtrio can all KO. It in turn keeps the fire types and Ice types away.

Nice team. Cool Latios! Good luck!

MCBarrett

Thanks for the rates guys!

Shining Latios- i definitely like the idea of memento on dugtrio to set up for latios and i'll also try experimenting with latios' set and ev's to perfect it specifically for this team. also love the idea of starmie as it does have offensive capabilities and can make dugtrio more useful and makes late game switching less of a hassle. also it would be the only thing on my team that could truly take a scald now since latios has a mixed set so that would really help.

electrolyte- usually i can take out volcarona pretty easily since heatran sets up rocks and roars it out when boosting. but mamo and infernape can definitely cause problems and gyarados obviously can take care of them. the only thing that worries me is that would make two members on my team that would be pretty heavily effected by SR but since gyarados is mostly gonna be late game it shouldnt be much of a problem

Yeah, I think Starmie > Jolteon is the way to go here. Something you may want to consider on Latios is using HP Fire > Draco Meteor. With the current moveset you're just setup fodder for Skarmory, Forretress, and Scizor, and lose a lot of attack investment. Just use enough Sp.atk to 2HKO Skarm.

MCBarrett

yeah latios doesnt even need any sp att investment to 2hko skarm with hp fire so that lets me put it all in attack which will help a lot

Hey man nice team!

Firstly i am agreeing with everyone who suggested Starmie>Jolteon Because he still gives you a great speciall attacker but also a pokemon that can spin hazards because if an opponent gets 1 layer of hazards up against this team Dugtrio's sash is broken and you really need it to be on 1 Hp to get the full use of Reversal. Also your team in general won't like to be facing stall teams as Spikes will quickly hamper Genesects ability to revenge kill and Toxic Spikes will wear down Breloom quickly with Life Orb recoil piling up. I agree with the Starmie set that Shining Latios posted as that is the best offensive Starmie set

Next regarding your Dugtrio set. To really do everything possible to get him to his sash without living a weak hit would be to give him 21 Hp Ivs and a Hasty Nature>31 Hp ivs and a Jolly Nature with 21 Hp Ivs your reach 201 Hp. This lets you live two Seismic Toss's from Blissey so you are at 1 Hp and can hit it with a full power Reversal. Another thing the Ivs help with is making Dugtrio more frail so it can get to 1 Hp easier. Hasty Nature also helps with that lowening your defense while still boosting yur speed like Jolly.

The last thing i reccomend on your Dugtrio is Memento>Sucker Punch Memento is a great move to use when Dugtrio is low on its sash so you can cripple any attacking pokemon on the field. This is great in conjunction with Latios who can now set up on the pokemon Memento'd if he stays in and tries to attack with his lowend stats he will switch which still gives you a free Dragon Dance. Sucker Punch Isn't really to good on a pokemon who often has two turns to live. Plus Dugtrio is pretty fast anyway.

Nice team dude the Latios set is awesome! i hope i helped

tl;dr

Starmie--->Jolteon

Dugtrio
.21 Hp Ivs and Hasty--->31 Hp Ivs and Jolly
.Memento--->Sucker Punch

~Superpowerdude

MCBarrett

thats a good idea with the hp iv's. do you think 0 sp def and 0 def iv's would be a good idea too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)