Wear n' Tear...Gen 5 Version

First of all, allow me to introduce myself! I am a very new battler to Gen 5. My first exposure to competitive play was Gen 4 in 2008 and after a few years I took a break from battling. I came back to the competitive scene a few months ago and continued to play Gen 4. I posted my favorite Gen 4 balanced-stall team in the Past Gen RMT section about a month ago (the original Wear n’ Tear team) and a few fine fellows helped me out by switching one poke and slightly changing a moveset on another. You can view that team HERE! :) So I was hoping some of you cool Gen 5 peeps could help with my first constructed Gen 5 team that I’ve been messing around with.

At a Glance:

So the way I tried to learn how Gen 5 swings was sketch together a well balanced team and play as many battles as I could and change guys/movesets around accordingly. To be honest I started out with a lot of my Gen 4 pokes, but I quickly exchanged them out. After a lot of trial and error, I think I have found a nice niche. Ironically all of my guys are from the Gen 4 scene, but most of them have their own “5th Gen twist”. None of my guys are affected by Toxic Spikes, and only Heatran is affected by regular Spikes which makes this a good counter-stall team. Stealth Rock is a little bit of an issue, especially with 'Mence. However, with SR being the only regular entry hazard that affects this team, I didn't feel a need for a Rapid Spinner. So what I ended up with was what I’d like to call a balanced stall team.

In Detail:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Timid Nature (+Speed, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I was very comfortable using Rotom-W in Gen 4, so I found picking up this new and improved version quite easy. First off, Volt Switch is SO epic. I love the new move as it makes Scarf-Rotom really good at scouting, especially in the lead position. I will usually Volt Switch or Trick leads that I can’t handle. Trick is also my way of crippling Blissey/Chancey. Hydro Pump is there for some STAB action (thanks to its 5th Gen typing ;D) and HP Ice saves me from Gliscor, which can be a real problem for this team. Another funny thing about its new typing is that I always think that Rotom-W is Ghost type so I get deathly afraid of Pursuit lol (granted it would still take a lot from a CB Scizor, but I’ll be able to survive). Here’s how I deal with the top 15 leads in the current metagame:

Politoed: I’ll usually Volt Switch right out, as I’m seeing a bunch of Scarfed-Toeds the more I play.

Rotom-W: Well…this is awkward. I immediately assume that it’s scarfed, so I don’t want to Trick. As with Politoed, I’ll Volt Switch out and go to Heatran (they won’t Hydro Pump on Lead Rotom-W and Heatran might get a Flash Fire boost from WoW) and see what I can do from there. My IVs are 30Atk/30Def for HP Ice so if they have 30Speed IVs for HP Ice it isn’t a speed tie, which can be a double-edged sword. If they also decide to Volt Switch, they’ll have the switch advantage. However, I know I can outspeed them if I get into a mirror match situation later in the game.

Tyranitar: Eh, this can be a little tricky. I’ll stay in and go for a Hydro-Pump. It’s a 2HKO so it’ll play with their mind a bit. Do they want to risk losing their T-Tar? They might still need to set up SR, and if they did that first turn then I’m sitting at full HP and can have the freedom to risk another Hydro Pump without worrying about being KO’d if I miss.

Ninetales: Volt Switch as they rarely stay in and bring in the appropriate counter/check. If they stay in I’ll switch to specially defensive Heatran to take whatever they want to do.

Scizor: If it’s obvious that they want to lead with Scizor for some odd reason (I don’t have T-Tar or anything so it’s pretty rare to see this thing leading off), I’ll lead with Salamence (Fire Blast). However, if they do lead with Scizor I don’t want to Trick because giving a Scizor a scarf doesn’t really cripple it all that much. Hydro Pump does 47%-55% on 248/0/0 Scizor so I have a chance to 2HKO but they usually U-Turn out. Because of this I don’t want to use Volt Switch as then they’ll have the switch advantage. Because I don’t fight too many Scizor leads, I’ve never had one Superpower right off the bat. I calc’d it at 84%-99% from CB Scizor so I live anyways :D

Heatran: Depends on the rest of their team. I’ll most likely Hydro Pump, but I’ll Volt Switch if they have an easy Rotom-W counter.

Ferrothorn: Volt Switch out to Salamence if they stay in. I don’t really want to Trick just in case they decide to switch out on the first turn predicting it. If they do switch predicting it I get switch advantage from Volt Switch.

Landorus: Straight out HP Ice. If they aren’t scarfed and they stay in it’s a OHKO. Even if they are scarfed they can’t really do anything to hurt Rotom-W besides a Stone Edge crit or something, but they usually U-Turn out and I can keep in mind that they are scarfed for later in the game.

Dragonite: I’ve been seeing a lot of bulky DD-Nites so it gets me REALLY tempted to Trick them on a DD, but I usually end up HP Ice’ing as it’s just the safest play (I’m faster even after a DD anyways).

Azelf: Volt Switch. If they’re scarfed, they usually U-Turn out and I get switch advantage. If I’m faster, I know they aren’t scarfed and can go into Heatran. They can Stealth Rock, it’s cool. Fire Blast would be cooler(Fire Blast a Rotom-W? In my dreams lol), but Taunt would be a bummer (they wouldn’t know that right away though ;D). Explosion? lol

Infernape: I won’t take the risk of it being scarfed. Hard switch to physically defensive Latias.

Jirachi: Hard switch into Skarmory as they aren’t gonna use Trick if they’re scarfed. The reason for hard switching is because if they are scarfed, I don’t want to take an Iron Head. Skarm doesn’t care about T-Wave/Body Slam paralysis too much and it’s usually a free turn to set up some SR unless they U-Turn out first turn.

Forretress: Volt Switch to Salamence to break sturdy, then Fire Blast for the kill if they stay in.

Deoxys-D: Volt Switch into Skarmory and Whirlwind them out. Even though only Heatran takes Spikes damage, it still doesn't appreciate it because it is a wall form.

Mienchao: Meh, I don’t really want to take a Fake Out so I’ll hard switch into Latias and try to Toxic their switch-in.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Because I ended adding more entry hazards and phazing abilities (thanks to you smogon peeps ;D) it was necessary to have a spin-blocker. Gengar filled this spot nicely not only because it is one of the most effective spin-blockers in the game, it also helps fill past team member Espeon's shoes as my Conkeldurr counter with the use of Disable and Substitute. Not only that but Gengar forces a lot of switches by itself, which racks up entry hazard damage. I also messed around with Life Orb Gengar with Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Thunderbolt and strangely enough, Psychic. I know that Psychic is used only for fighting types as STAB Shadow Ball usually hits harder, but LO Psychic OHKO's Conkeldurr if I have SR up. Kinda switching between these two sets, but Sub-Disable seems to be more solid.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpAtk)
- Stealth Rock (CHANGED TO SPIKES)
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

This is my 4th Gen Skarm, but with SR instead of Spikes because no one else has SR on the team (I like Earth Power > SR on Heatran to hit stuff that tries to resist the fire attack). There’s not that much to say about Skarm. I’m comfortable with how it works and I know what it can and can’t handle, and I’m sure you do too. I do have to make a mental note when I see Magnezone in the Team Preview and be sure to handle it with Heatran or Krookodile (this also makes me a bit afraid of Whirlwinding one in, but it’s pretty situational to be perfectly honest). With Sturdy actually working in the Gen, I can survive a Thunderbolt from Magnezone (with no SR up) and Whirlwind it out into something I’m hopefully faster than so I can get a Roost up. But again, this is pretty situational as I’m very cautious with Skarmory if I see they have Magnezone in the Team Preview.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Speed
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Toxic

So here’s my only real gimmicky poke in this line-up. This is a physically defensive Latias with Toxic *gasp!* Jokes aside I absolutely ADORE this set. “Oh look! I better bring in my special wall to absorb a Draco Meteor!” TOXIC IN YO FACE! Haha it’s just the funniest thing in the world to me (I’m always looking out for those potential steel switch-ins though). Dragon Pulse is my only attacking move that gets a helpful boost from CM. But the bigger deal is getting that +1 SpDef. Getting up a few CM boosts is one of the two ways I combat Reuniclus on this team. The other way is to try to weaken Reuniclus as much as I can with whatever poke I have in before it dies so that Krookodile can come in and clean up. I did try out Roar on this set over Toxic, but throwing a surprise Toxic at a wall/tank helped out a lot in the long run. Another thing I tried was HP Grass to 2HKO things like Gastrodon if I landed a Toxic on them first. Also, the 28 Speed EVs were meant to outrun Politoed and hit it with a Toxic/HP Grass before it could Ice Beam, but I’m thinking of shifting those EVs somewhere else as Politoed can be handled by Rotom-W or even something else if I have Light Screen up. Another thing to note is that Choice Band Scizor does 60%-71% with Pursuit when I go to switch out so if I really wanted to, I could stay in and waste time with Recover and Dragon Pulse/CM until they’re fed up with me.

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 Speed
Calm Nature (+SpDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Protect (CHANGED TO ROAR)
- Toxic
- Earth Power (CHANGED TO STEALTH ROCK)

This was my favorite Heatran set in 4th Gen and it still works here in 5th Gen. The new item Air Balloon was very tempting to use on this set, and I did experiment with it. However, on a special wall, leftovers is just going to me much more effective (I have 3 pokes immune from ground attacks anyways). Toxic on the switches/things that don’t threaten me, Protect to stall and see what some choice pokes lock themselves into. Rinse and repeat. Lava Plume to burn things I can’t Toxic or if I need to burn a physical attacker. I run Earth Power over Roar because I like hitting fire resist switch-ins. In 4th Gen it was meant to kill opposing Heatran switch-ins, but with Air Balloon that doesn’t happen anymore (Pointed stones dig into Heatran, but don’t pop the Balloon? X_x ). This thing is deceptively bulky as it takes special hits like a major boss. Probably my favorite core poke on the team.

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SpDef)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

The mighty beast Salamence has replaced Scarf Krook as my physical sweeper/revenger. Even though this is a more stally team and SR damage looked a little sketchy, 'Mence has been one of the best changes to this team. The Moxie boosts combined with a Choice Scarf makes this bad boy the ultimate late game sweeper. If I can get a free switch-in mid/late game and there are no more steels, 'Mence will run rampant. I've had plenty of 3,4, and 5 poke late game sweeps with this poke which pretty much sealed the deal for a spot on the team. I've got Earthquake for solid coverage and Fire Blast for things like Ferrothorn/Forretress/random steel. I decided to run Crunch on this set opposed to Outrage because I liked the coverage to hit things like Reuniclus/Cresselia/Jellicent and so far Moxie boosted Dragon Claw has been just as helpful as Outrage. Another reason I decided to switch out Outrage was because of how the team plays. This team is meant to weaken opponents with entry hazards and a bit of Toxic stall, so trying to muscle my way through a wall with Outrage proved to be less demanding.

Changes to the Team:

Stealth Rock and Roar on Heatran replaced Earth Power and Protect. With this change Spikes are now used on Skarmory. With more hazards set up, standard Sub-Disable Gengar was used as a spin-blocker in place of Espeon. I'm still experimenting with different Gengar sets. Scarf Moxie Mence replaced Scarf Krookodile as it did the same job but better. The only thing that I miss about Scarf Krook was its immunity to electric moves, Pursuit, and the SR resistance. Every one of these changes has been a significant improvement to the team.

Past Team Members:

Espeon (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 Speed
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Krookodile (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -SpAtk)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

So that concludes my first Gen 5 RMT. I am entirely open to constructive criticism (maybe swapping a poke, moves, or EV spreads). If you see a poke/set that completely destroys this team, let me know! And if this team totally fails, tell me why! Like I said, I’m somewhat of a Gen 5 noob so to be perfectly honest I’m hoping to learn a few things. Thanks!

yo my boy i saw no one rated this team and thats not fair its actually a pretty good team so a few suggestions:

first off i recommend you replace stealth rock with spikes on skarmory and put stealth rock on heatran as i feel its utilizing your pokemon to their fullest abilities and further that wear n tear basis of the team.i would get rid of either toxic or earth power on heatran and put stealth rock on him since you have opposing heatran pretty well covered with latias and that random burn from lava plume will handle the other stuff.

dont get me wrong i like crocodiles and all but unfortunately it seems as though a choice scarf tyranitar does all of the same things while providing a steady stream of sandstorm to compliment you overall goal of wear n tear. the sandstorm damage + spikes + stealth rock is a nice tandem and you even gain some bulkiness with tyranitar. im not sure why chandelure is a problem for you unless you're playing dream world ou but even so, tyranitar nullifies chandelure anyway.

tyranitar @ choice scarf
jolly
4 hp / 252 atk /252 spe
stone edge
crunch
pursuit
superpower

another thing that seems odd is the dual screens espeon. dual screens is more of an hyper offense approach which is like the opposite of what you're aiming to do. espeon's magic bounce isnt really needed on your team as most of your pokes are immune to t-spikes and a good amount dont care about spikes or stealth rock. without espeon you are a bit weaker to conkeldurr (which you were already extremely weak to) and either way you dont have a spinblocker. now i know spinblockers arent really as critical as they used to be but i find it to be a shame to have all your hard work wasted by the occasional starmie. to alleviate these 2 weaknesses i recommend you replace espeon with a disable gengar. disable gengar causes switches and fits your team mold in many ways.

gengar @ leftovers
timid
4 hp / 252 spatk / 252 spe
shadow ball
focus blast
disable
substitute

also i would personally replace toxic or protect on heatran with roar as to make volcarona less of a threat especially if its one of those random substitute versions

looks like a solid team man i like it and i dont like much!!!!!

Thanks a lot for your post!

I'll test out SR on Heatran (over Earth Power) and put Spikes back on Skarm. I really like having Protect on there for some Toxic stall but it won't hurt to put Roar on there and mess around with it.

The reason why I mentioned Chandelure was because a scarf poke with Shadow Ball and Overheat (maybe even HP Fighting for Heatran) can cause a lot of problems with this team. And yeah Conkeldurr was a bit of a problem, but I could usually handle it with Espeon and Skarmory to an extent. As with Tyranitar, I thought the same thing, but ended up turning it down because I didn't want to wear down Espeon, and more importantly, Latias with sandstorm. Plus I only had SR as an entry hazard so the addition of sandstorm didn't really sound too helpful with stall seeing as half my pokes are affected by it. But, again, it never hurts to give it a try and it'll probably be more effective with more hazards up in addition to Toxic being spread around.

A quick thing about Espeon, though. I really like the poke itself just because it's a great counter to a lot of set-up pokes, and it gets me thinking of making a pure offensive one for another team (even though Espeon doesn't have a great movepool) to throw some people off. But I see where you're coming from with the Gengar set. I'll definitely use it.

Gengar seems to be another nice shift because the team just had Stealth Rock as the only entry hazard, then I throw people off with my two Toxic users. Like you said, with more entry hazards on the field, a spin-blocker would be a lot more helpful so I love that idea. Thanks!

Hey there, nice team!
1 suggestion I have though, is to run restochesto rotom-w, with a moveset of Volt Switch/ Hydro Pump/ WoW/ Pain Split. Regarding the ev spread, you should change to what you feel like would be the best for your team, since Rotom's stats give it much flexibility.
It helps you to WoW the threats that you mentioned, but has much more survivability throughout the game. Also means that you don't have to be locked into 1 move that can change the tide of the game :]
Good luck!

Hey there, nice team!
1 suggestion I have though, is to run restochesto rotom-w, with a moveset of Volt Switch/ Hydro Pump/ WoW/ Pain Split. Regarding the ev spread, you should change to what you feel like would be the best for your team, since Rotom's stats give it much flexibility.
It helps you to WoW the threats that you mentioned, but has much more survivability throughout the game. Also means that you don't have to be locked into 1 move that can change the tide of the game :]
Good luck!
Why the hell would he run chesto rest without rest? lol

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Modest
-Volt Switch
-HP Fire/Grass
-Hydro Pump
-Pain Split

EVs: Distributed as you see fit between HP/SpA/Sp has been the best Rotom ive ever used

After a bit of experimentation, SR/Roar on Heatran and Spikes on Skarm has made this team SO much better. I'm still experimenting around with the Gengar sets.

I decided to keep Scarf Rotom-W with Trick as I found it way more useful than it being slow with Pain Split. The freedom to switch moves just wasn't as helpful as being faster than non-choicers and the ability to cripple a wall with Trick.

Also, I after a bit of testing I decided it was best to keep Krookodile over Tyranitar. The sandstorm was just a bit too annoying on Latias, Rotom-W, and especially Gengar. Krook doesn't pack the power that Tyranitar does, but after a Moxie boost from revenging a low HP poke it could hold its own.

Thanks for the suggestions you guys.

Why dont you try a Mixed Moxie Salamence?
Holy balls thank you so much for this suggestion!!! After playing a whole bunch of games with Salamence it's earned a place on this team. I tried a number of 'Mences but the one I liked the most was physically based Choice Scarf Moxie 'Mence with Fire Blast.

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SpDef)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

I explained a bit about Salamence in the OP. Again, thanks a ton!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)