Warstory: Predict Rick James, bitch!

My first warstory: Predict Rick James, bitch!
An OU warstory with Clear Skies

My team: Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Scizor, Terrakion, Rotom-W, Salamence
My opponent's team: Nidoqueen, Zapdos, Alakazam, Weavile, Sableye, Milotic​

Before we get started, I have to justify something. I didn't write this warstory to be humorous, and I didn't format it so it's the prettiest thing in the world. I wrote it to explain some solid predicting strategy and to reveal as many aspects of the in-battle decision-making process as possible. I'm a student at the University of Chicago, and my friends and I have started a student organization dedicated to Pokémon. I'm in charge of educating members about the metagame and to create/host tournaments (If you're a UChicago student, search PokéRSO on facebook). So this warstory is written explicitly for those new to the game but eager to learn how to think in a strategic way for Pokémon. Think of it as one of those books you had to read in elementary school that had literary merit but was at a reading level below your own. Anyway...

First, my team. I’m using the Ferrothorn/Jellicent defensive core combination, which has amazing type synergy and together resist 15 of the 17 types (more information can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80655). Ferrothorn has max hp and split defenses (88 def, 168 spdef) while Jellicent is Bold, max hp, max defense. Choice Band Scizor cleans up the opposing scarfers and weakened ‘mons with Bullet Punch and Pursuit while also protecting the team from Rock types and fast Focus Blast users. Terrakion’s strategy is to come in and scare the opposition out, then set up a Substitute and SD until nothing can withstand a Close Combat anymore (quite an easy feat to accomplish). Rotom-W is my lead whenever I don’t know what the hell to lead with, because scarf Volt Switch is a good failsafe for picking the wrong lead. Finally, the real powerhouse of the team is Scarf MoxieMence. The ultimate strategy of the team is to eliminate opposing scarfers, Steels, and Ice Shard users such that Moxie Outrage can decimate the opposing team.

The one Pokémon on my opponent’s team that can break through my core is Zapdos, which I assume carries both Thunderbolt and Heat Wave. Priority one for this battle is to get that thing to die, either via Scarfmence’s Outrages or Terrakion’s Stone Edge. Milotic is easily killable (ideally by Ferrothorn or Rotom) as long as it doesn’t switch into a Thunder Wave or a Will-o-Wisp (Marvel Scale boosts its defenses by 1.5x, making it impossible to kill because it doubtlessly carries Recover; Toxic would be the only acceptable status for Milotic). Alakazam is a powerhouse against this team; It OHKOs Terrakion and 2HKOs Ferrothorn, Rotom, Scizor, and Salamence, and it could probably 2HKO Jellicent with Energy Ball or Shadow Ball. Sableye is just an annoyer, but priority Will-o-Wisp can destroy my team’s attacking power. Nidoqueen can switch in on Rotom’s Volt Switches and proceed to set up entry hazards, and it can also come in on Terrakion because it resists my dual STAB and can OHKO with Earthquake. Finally, Weavile checks my Salamence 100%, so locking myself in on Outrage is a terrible idea as long as Weavile is alive to Ice Shard me in revenge. However, a +1 Outrage could kill everything on his team from full health, so Weavile's death ensures my victory.

Threat priority list: Zapdos, Alakazam, Weavile, Sableye, Nidoqueen, Milotic

Battle between Venator and mawnotype started!
Tier: Wifi OU
Mode: Singles
Variation: +15, -17
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

Your team: Ferrothorn / Salamence / Rotom-W / Terrakion / Jellicent / Scizor
Opponent's team: Nidoqueen / Sableye / Weavile / Alakazam / Zapdos / Milotic

Leading off with Ferrothorn is rarely something that I do; I just like to have it in the lead spot so that an opponent will be more likely to choose a Ferrothorn counter to lead with. Ferrothorn counters are rarely Ground types, so my primary lead is Rotom-W. Let’s lead with him and Volt Switch if the matchup isn’t great.

Venator sent out Alakazam!
mawnotype sent out Rotom-W!

I know that Modest Scarf Rotom-W is faster than Alakazam, so my best option is to Volt Switch out: I can’t risk letting my scouter die on turn 1. Since he may be predicting me to Volt Switch, he could use Focus Blast and decimate my Ferrothorn/Terrakion/Scizor on the switch: Life Orb Alakazam ain’t nothing to fuck with. If he has Energy Ball, he’ll probably use that, or he may just go with Psychic STAB to get solid damage on anything that switches in. I know that I’m going to have to sacrifice something in order to get rid of this Alakazam; it can 2HKO my whole team. I decide that Jellicent is my least useful member, because it only checks Weavile (poorly: night slash wrecks it). Volt Switch to Jellicent!

Start of turn 1
Rotom-W used Volt Switch!
Venator's Alakazam lost 51% of its health!
mawnotype called Rotom-W back!
mawnotype sent out Jellicent!

Venator's Alakazam used Psyshock!
Jellicent lost 162 HP! (40% of its health)

Jellicent restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Jellicent (66%) vs. Alakazam (49%)

Perfect. Volt Switch did over half and Alakazam has no recovery (probably), so I can sacrifice something to be able to come in and kill it with Volt Switch again.
Jellicent absorbed the hit pretty well and may recover off this damage at a later point in the battle. Scald isn’t going to do much to Alakazam, and WoW is useless against a Magic Guard poke. Jellicent has nothing to offer me here. Alakazam is either going to go for a Shadow Ball or an Energy Ball on my Jellicent, and I will now utilize the type synergy of Jellithorn to use Jellicent as a pivot switch. If everything works out alright, I could paralyze or even kill Alakazam with Power Whip.

Start of turn 2
mawnotype called Jellicent back!
mawnotype sent out Ferrothorn!

Venator's Alakazam used Energy Ball!
It's not very effective...
Ferrothorn lost 21 HP! (5% of its health)

Ferrothorn restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Ferrothorn (100%) vs. Alakazam (49%)

This was the best case scenario: Ferrothorn’s still at full HP, and he’s gonna need it if he’s going to survive a Focus Blast or Hidden Power Fire. Since no one in his or her right mind is going to switch a Milotic in on a Ferrothorn, I will Thunder Wave with impunity; something is getting crippled, and I would love it if it were Zapdos or Alakazam.

Start of turn 3
Venator's Alakazam used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Ferrothorn lost 336 HP! (95% of its health)

Ferrothorn used Thunder Wave!
Venator's Alakazam is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Ferrothorn restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Ferrothorn (11%) vs. Alakazam (49%, paralyzed)

Let it be known that Calm 168 spdef Ferrothorn is a champion of taking 4x weak moves from special sweepers. The crisis that is Alakazam is averted!

Since I could use Ferrothorn as death fodder or potentially to get up Stealth Rock before he dies, I need to save him. Psyshock can kill me from here, so I’m predicting the STAB 100% accuracy move. Jellicent is still as useless as ever and can take another one, so back into Jelly we go. Maybe I can pull some more pivot switch magic.

Start of turn 4
mawnotype called Ferrothorn back!

Venator's Alakazam is paralyzed! It can't move!

Jellicent (72%) vs. Alakazam (49%, paralyzed)

Parahax saved me some damage on Jellicent, but it didn’t really matter at all in the scope of the battle: anything that can kill Jelly from 60% can kill it from 20%.
At this point, I imagine he’s just going to leave his Alakazam in to die, because it’s useless if paralyzed. Leaving something in to die normally doesn’t involve that much prediction: you want to do as much damage as possible. I’m predicting the Energy Ball again, so I’m going into my other 4x grass resist, Scizor.

Start of turn 5
mawnotype sent out Scizor!

Venator's Alakazam used Energy Ball!
Scizor lost 39 HP! (11% of its health)

Scizor (89%) vs. Alakazam (49%, paralyzed)

A series of me making good predictions and my opponent being very predictable has allowed my team to get around Alakazam with no casualties. Since this thing is still a big threat to my team, I need to make sure it dies before it switches out. I’m faster than paralyzed anything, so this ‘zam isn’t getting away this time.

Start of turn 6
Scizor used Pursuit!
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Venator's Alakazam lost 48% of its health!
Venator's Alakazam fainted!

Venator sent out Sableye!

Score: 6 - 5
Scizor (89%) vs. Sableye (100%)

The WoW is an extremely obvious play, since Scizor is my biggest threat to his team (it’s the only thing that can tank a Weavile hit and KO with Bullet Punch). He needs it burned in the early game. The two things on my team that can absorb burns are Rotom and Jellicent. Jellicent’s Scald probably won’t be enough to break Sableye’s Substitute, so the choice is obvious. Rotom, scout away!

Start of turn 7
mawnotype called Scizor back!

Venator's Sableye used Will-O-Wisp!
Rotom-W was burned!

Rotom-W is hurt by its burn!

Rotom-W (88%, burned) vs. Sableye (100%)

Sableye has no weaknesses and I need to take away the opponent’s ability to priority burn my 3 physical powerhouses. I Volt Switched last time, so I don’t want to make the same move twice: it would be a smart play to switch his Nidoqueen in on an Electric move and set up early-game hazards. My most powerful move, Hydro Pump, is the best play.

Start of turn 8
Venator called Sableye back!
Venator sent out Milotic!

Rotom-W used Hydro Pump!
Venator's Milotic lost 21% of its health!

Venator's Milotic restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Rotom-W (75%, burned) vs. Milotic (85%)

If Modest Rotom-W hit for 1/5 of Milotic's HP with a resisted hit, that Milotic is either modest max SpA or bold max def. As such, I'm predicting an attack. He may try to Toxic the incoming Pokémon anticipating a switch. A switch to Ferrothorn would be a good idea, since steels are immune to Poison. However, Ferrothorn is the most obvious switch in the world for a Milotic. Switching to Jellicent isn't so bad either; it's got max HP and it resists Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, and HP Fire (just in case he's anticipating a Ferrothorn switch). For being useless in this battle, Jellicent has been an excellent pivot switch.

Start of turn 9

Venator's Milotic used Ice Beam!
Jellicent lost 36 HP! (8% of its health)
Jellicent's Cursed Body activates!
Venator's Milotic's Ice Beam was disabled!

Jellicent (70%) vs. Milotic (91%)

Until this point, my opponent hasn't known which ability my Jellicent carries. Water Absorb Jellicent would be great to switch in on a Hydro Pump; I would recover my HP back up to full. Ice Beam would've done <15% to either of my defensive core members, but at least it wouldn't have allowed either of them to gain HP. Instead, my Jellicent has Cursed Body, which has a 30% chance to disable the last move to hit me. I could potentially switch into Salamence now to resist Hydro Pump and fire off an Outrage, but Weavile still lives and would take out the main muscle of my team. Bad idea.

It's possible that this Milotic could have HP Grass, but that's unlikely: Alakazam had Energy Ball to take care of Gastrodon/Swampert in that case. What I do think this Milotic carries is Toxic. Toxic would be mighty shitty for my Jellicent, so I'm going to Taunt it.

Start of turn 10
Venator called Milotic back!
Venator sent out Nidoqueen!

Jellicent used Taunt!
Venator's Nidoqueen fell for the taunt!

Jellicent (76%) vs. Nidoqueen (100%)

Well, my opponent must've predicted a Recover or (learning from previous plays) yet another pivot switch. This would've given his Nidoqueen a free turn or two to set up some hazards, because I doubt Scald would be an OHKO from defensive Jellicent. However, that Taunt shuts down that strategy absolutely. Since an Earthquake wouldn't do much to this Jellicent, I doubt that he will stay in. A wise switch-in to this Jellicent would be Zapdos if he predicts a Scald. Weavile doesn't want to get burned, Sableye should be saved to switch in on my physical offensive core, and he tried Milotic already. If he's going to switch, it will be to Zapdos, which can KO me with Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. I'll go out to Rotom-W and pull a Volt Switch of my own to see if his Zapdos is Choice Scarfed or not. Even if he doesn't switch to Zapdos, Rotom is immune to the Queen's Earthquake and is a good scout in any situation.

Start of turn 11
Venator called Nidoqueen back!
Venator sent out Zapdos!
Venator's Zapdos is exerting its Pressure!

Rotom-W (62%, burned) vs. Zapdos (100%)

As expected. If I'm faster, that means I'm either dealing with a defensive Zapdos with Roost and Substitute, or I'm dealing with Timid Life Orb Zapdos. If I'm not faster, then he's definitely Choice Scarf and I can pick a Pokémon to resist his locked-in move. Switch it up.

Start of turn 12
Venator's Zapdos lost 27% of its health!

At this point, I figure that Ferrothorn is best used as death fodder right now. I'll get switch initiative if Ferrothorn dies, and his attack will tell me if he's Life Orb or Leftovers.

mawnotype sent out Ferrothorn!

Venator's Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
A critical hit!
Ferrothorn lost 38 HP! (10% of its health)
Ferrothorn fainted!
Venator's Zapdos is hurt by its Life Orb!

mawnotype sent out Terrakion!

Score: 5 - 5
Terrakion (100%) vs. Zapdos (62%)

Okay, so we're dealing with Offensive Life Orb Zapdos: that is a huge threat to my team and must be taken out ASAP. However, Zappy isn't fast enough for Terrakion; Zapdos' 100 Speed won't cut it against Jolly Terrakion's 108. Stone Edge is an easy kill. I just have to hope it doesn't miss. If it does, I will probably lose Terrakion, and I will have to revenge with Rotom-W's HP Ice or Salamence's Dragon Claw.

Start of turn 13
Terrakion used Stone Edge!
It's super effective!
Venator's Zapdos lost 62% of its health!
Venator's Zapdos fainted!
Terrakion is hurt by its Life Orb!

Score: 5 - 4
Terrakion (90%) vs. Nidoqueen (100%)

80% accuracy pulled through for me when I needed it most, and now both Alakazam and Zapdos are out of the picture, which lets my Jellicent breathe a bit easier; I still need it to switch into an Ice Shard. From this point, I could Substitute and set up enough Swords Dances to KO Nidoqueen, but that would let him get a bunch of entry hazards up. I can't afford him getting Stealth Rock up, so I need to stop that however I can. For now, I'll switch to Rotom-W to scare him out.

Start of turn 14
mawnotype called Terrakion back!

Venator's Nidoqueen used Toxic Spikes!
Poison spikes were scattered all around the feet of mawnotype's team!

Rotom-W (50%, burned) vs. Nidoqueen (100%)

At least it wasn't Stealth Rock. Toxic Spikes will poison Terrakion and Jellicent, neither of whom really appreciate it all that much. However, being poisoned will ensure that Terrakion can't be burned by Sableye. My plan A for Sableye, then, is to kill it with a Stone Edge. Terrakion just got a lot more valuable to me.

He knows that Stealth Rock will significantly cut down on the amount of times I can afford to switch, so I don't know why he didn't go for that instead of Toxic Spikes. Either way, I have to prevent SR from being set up, so I need to kill this Nidoqueen. However, if there's anything this team is about, it's scouting with Scizor/Rotom and using the defensive core as a pivot switch. I think my opponent realizes this now. I'm deciding to go for a Volt Switch instead, because he has been cautious with his Nidoqueen before now and I don't expect him to act any differently. He's gonna switch back out to Milotic now, so I'm going to switch it up and get some good damage on that fucking thing.

Start of turn 15
Venator called Nidoqueen back!

It's super effective!
Venator's Milotic lost 51% of its health!

My prediction worked! Awesome, now I have switch advantage against this Milotic. I decide to go out into Terrakion, because Weavile is still lurking about out there to keep Salamence at bay, and a Close Combat is more than enough to finish off this Milotic.

Terrakion was poisoned!

A blessing in disguise...

Terrakion is hurt by poison!

Terrakion (77%) vs. Milotic (40%)

It's time to combat closely. It's probable that he'll switch right back out into Nidoqueen, because Poison/Ground walls Fighting/Rock/Bug, which is Terrakion's standard coverage. Regardless I will go for CC to not overpredict. He could switch into Sableye, but I'm not burnable anymore. In any situation, CC will net me some significant damage, and chipping away at the opponent's team is necessary in order to be able to sweep with CB Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Start of turn 16

Terrakion used Close Combat!
Venator's Nidoqueen lost 40% of its health!
Terrakion's Defense fell!
Terrakion's Sp. Def. fell!

Venator's Nidoqueen restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Terrakion (66%) vs. Nidoqueen (66%)

40% on a resisted hit against something defensive? Terrakion is too strong for OU right now, but I'm not complaining. However, now I'm stuck in a dilemma: do I try to 3HKO the Nidoqueen predicting entry hazards next turn or do I switch back into Rotom to scare out the Queen again? In either situation, I won't be able to prevent the SR, so I need to preserve my burnproof Terrakion for later. Rotom it is.

Start of turn 17
mawnotype called Terrakion back!

Venator's Nidoqueen used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around mawnotype's team!

Rotom-W (36%, burned) vs, Nidoqueen (72%)

Alright, it's time to quit fucking around and attack that Nidoqueen. I've predicted it to switch out before, and by now the opponent has surely caught on. Time to just attack it.

Start of turn 18
Rotom-W used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Venator's Nidoqueen lost 33% of its health!

Venator's Nidoqueen used Super Fang!
Rotom-W lost 45 HP! (18% of its health)

Rotom-W (6%, burned) vs. Nidoqueen (45%)

In my haste to attack, I clicked on HP Ice instead of Hydro Pump. There isn't a single thing on his team that would take more damage from HP Ice than Hydro Pump, so that was a poor play. In any case, I kept Nidoqueen from chopping something else's HP in half with Super Fang (Shit, HP is a great abbreviation for this turn). I'm locked into it, and Rotom is just about dead, so going out in a blaze of glory gives me switch initiative to come in and finish off this Nidoqueen.

Start of turn 19
Rotom-W used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Venator's Nidoqueen lost 33% of its health!

Venator's Nidoqueen used Super Fang!
Rotom-W lost 8 HP! (3% of its health)

Rotom-W fainted!
mawnotype sent out Couchfucka (Salamence)!
Pointed stones dug into Couchfucka!

Score: 4 - 4
Salamence (75%) vs. Nidoqueen (17%)

Time to bait out the Weavile. Killing this Nidoqueen gives me a Moxie boost, which puts my opponent into a position where he will lose the game if he fails to Ice Shard me or Will-o-Wisp me. I can then deal with either of these threats with my remaining Pokes. I really hope that he sends out Weavile, though, because that is easier to KO than Sableye.

Start of turn 20
Couchfucka used Dragon Claw!
Venator's Nidoqueen lost 17% of its health!
Venator's Nidoqueen fainted!
Venator's Nidoqueen's Poison Point activates!
Couchfucka was poisoned!
Couchfucka's Attack rose!

Couchfucka is hurt by poison!
Venator sent out Weavile!

Venator's Weavile is exerting its Pressure!

Score: 4 - 3
Salamence (62%, poisoned) vs. Weavile (100%)

Level 1 Poison is a blessing, it really is. Nidoqueen's Poison Point grants my Salamence the same power that Terrakion has: it can't be burned! Sableye didn't even get a chance to fire off a useful WoW yet, and already my two most powerful physical sweepers are immune to his failsafe. Now, my biggest worry is Ice Shard, because that's the only thing that's keeping this Couchfucka from being able to fuck the rest of the couches on my opponent's team. My counter is simple: switch to Scizor, who has max HP and resists Ice, and KO back with Bullet Punch. Weavile is too big a threat to overpredict, so I will do exactly this.

Start of turn 21
mawnotype called Couchfucka back!
mawnotype sent out Scizor!
Pointed stones dug into Scizor!

Venator's Weavile used Ice Shard!
Scizor lost 41 HP! (12% of its health)
Venator's Weavile is hurt by its Life Orb!

Scizor (77%) vs. Weavile (90%)

If he's an idiot, he'll leave in his Weavile to die. I don't think he will, but I must go for the Bullet Punch just in case.

Start of turn 22
Venator called Weavile back!

Scizor used Bullet Punch!
Venator's Milotic lost 18% of its health!

Scizor (77%) vs. Milotic (28%)

In hindsight, I should have gone for a CB U-turn, because Scizor could have lived any other move from Weavile and KOed with it. It also would've left a huge dent in Milotic, probably KOing it. Bad play on my part: I should've stuck with the scouting strategy that this team employs so well. Now I'm stuck with the possibility that my Scizor could be burned by Scald or, if this is Modest max SpA Milotic, KOed with Hydro Pump. Now that Salamence can take on Sableye without getting burned, I think Terrakion is the best thing to sacrifice right now; Jellicent would be a bad switch-in against Milotic.

Start of turn 23
mawnotype called Scizor back!
Pointed stones dug into Terrakion!

Venator's Milotic used Recover!
Venator's Milotic regained health!

Terrakion (47%, poisoned) vs. Milotic (84%)

Fuck, now this Milotic is going to wall my team. If I let it get a lot of HP back, I won't be able to take it out with an Outrage before Moxie boosts, and it can KO ScarfMence with Ice Beam. I'm just glad it doesn't have the Marvel Scale defense boost. Here's to hoping that a Life Orb CC will do enough damage to this Milotic. I'll be in trouble if it doesn't.

Start of turn 24
Venator's Milotic lost 55% of its health!
Terrakion's Defense fell!
Terrakion's Sp. Def. fell!

Terrakion (24%, poisoned) vs. Milotic (85%)

Not quite enough. Now I can see that he's indeed a defensive Milotic with a lot of HP investment. Even so, Terrakion can 2HKO this guy, which is further evidence that Terrakion is a fucking boss. Milotic's plan is to stall me out of health with Recover as I waste away with Poison and Life Orb recoil. Not on my watch. I know I can live one more turn of Poison damage, so I'll Swords Dance this turn. +2 Attack doubles the damage CC will do, which ensures a KO.

Start of turn 25
Terrakion used Swords Dance!
Terrakion's Attack sharply rose!

Terrakion (11%, poisoned) vs. Milotic (100%)

I didn't die to a Scald, so that's good. Since CC is 180 power with STAB and Stone Edge is only 150 power with STAB and 80% accuracy, I want to ensure the KO and the hit with Close Combat.

Start of turn 26

It had no effect!

Terrakion fainted!
mawnotype sent out Couchfucka! (Salamence)
Pointed stones dug into Couchfucka!

Score: 3 - 3
Salamence (37%, poisoned) vs. Sableye (100%)

Well, that was obvious. I should've gone with the Stone Edge predicting Sableye. Bad play on my part. However, now I'm free to come in with Salamence and fuck some couches. SOMETHING is going to die this turn. If Sableye dies, then I'm free to use Scizor without the threat of being insta-burned. If he switches in Weavile, I kill it with Outrage on the switch and sweep the rest of his team (1 Moxie boost guarantees the KO on Milotic). If he switches in Milotic, I can 2HKO it with Outrage and, potentially, switch out of Salamence and live to Outrage again. His best option at this point is to fodder Sableye, revenge-kill Salamence with Ice Shard, and take care of Scizor with Milotic (hope for some Scald burns on Jellicent and Scizor).

Start of turn 27
Venator called Sableye back!
Venator sent out Weavile!

Venator's Weavile is exerting its Pressure!
Couchfucka used Outrage!
Venator's Weavile lost 90% of its health!
Venator's Weavile fainted!

Couchfucka is hurt by poison!

Score: 3 - 2
Salamence (25%, poisoned) vs. Milotic (100%)

That was a really stupid move on his part. He knows my Salamence has Moxie, and nothing is going to live a +1 Outrage if it doesn't resist it. That's why Scarfed Salamence fucks couches so well: 180 power move that is resisted only by steel is going to KO just about everything once the ball gets rolling. Since he can no longer Ice Shard my Couchfucka, I'm afraid his couches are about to get fucked. Maybe his Milotic can survive a +1 Outrage.

Start of turn 28
Couchfucka used Outrage!
A critical hit!
Venator's Milotic lost 100% of its health!
Venator's Milotic fainted!

Couchfucka is hurt by poison
mawnotype: http://youtu.be/MxzmjGJeBJg
Venator: ...

Score: 3 - 1
Salamence (13%, poisoned) vs. Sableye (100%)

Critical hit on his motherfucking couch. As I delightfully informed him, his couches are all super-fucked. Especially because I got the three-turn Outrage. By the way, the two top comments on that YouTube video were both thumbs-uped by me once I started using it to brag about ScarfMoxieMence sweeps. Fucks were given on this day and this guy's couches received all of them.

Start of turn 29
Venator's Sableye used Recover!
But it failed!

Couchfucka used Outrage!
Venator's Sableye lost 100% of its health!
Venator's Sableye fainted!
Couchfucka calmed down!
Couchfucka became confused!

mawnotype won the battle!
mawnotype: These are the breaks! Break it up, break it up, break it up!! Break down!
Venator: Good game

Final Score: 3 - 0 (narrowly, and I'll explain why)

Now let's theorymon (one of the nerdiest verbs I've ever used) for a little bit. Let's say he had sacrificed Sableye instead of Weavile. The score would've gone to 3 - 2, and he would have Ice Sharded my Mence to even it up. I would have gone into Scizor and U-turned into Jellicent. He would have switched out to Milotic, so it would be approximately half-health Milotic against a slightly healthier Jellicent. That would have proceeded like a stall war, with both of our bulky waters using recover and trying to get burns on the other bulky water; I would continue to Taunt to keep Milotic from recovering up. At any point, to break the stall war, he could predict a Recover or Taunt from Jellicent and switch into Weavile. His Night Slash would KO me if it got a critical hit (Night Slash has a high crit ratio), and I would've survived if I hadn't. If I survived, I would Will-o-Wisp his Weavile (which only has 75% accuracy). Jellicent would die next turn, leaving me with only Scizor. I'd lock him in on U-Turn, because Bullet Punch, Superpower, and Pursuit aren't as strong against Milotic over time. If I had previously burned Milotic, which is very possible given Scald's 30% burn rate, then Marvel Scale would be active and max HP Milotic would be able to tank my U-turns very well, recovering off any damage I took. His Scalds or Surfs would probably 2 or 3HKO my Scizor, leaving him with the narrow 1-0.

The only way I could have won, in the scenario in which he sacrificed Sableye, would be if these three conditions were met:
1. I didn't burn Milotic
2. I predicted a Weavile switch and burned it OR survived the Night Slash and subsequently burned it
3. I get a crit with U-turn facing an unburned, Recover-stalling Milotic OR avoid the Scald burn long enough to KO with U-turn
Needless to say, the decision to let Weavile die was absolutely the worst outcome for my opponent, and he could have outlasted me in the endgame to narrowly win if he had made the right choice in turn 27. Alas, he decided that a couchfucking was in order, and I readily agreed.

Props: Couchfucka for getting the Outrage endgame sweep that this team is designed to facilitate.
CS Rotom-W for its speedy Volt Switch and invaluable scouting ability.
Jellicent for being the best pivot switch a trainer could ask for.
Ferrothorn for saving my ass early-game and withstanding an HP Fire
Milotic for walling my team late-game and for enabling my opponent to potentially win under theorymonned conditions

Slops: Weavile for his premature stage entrance and for single-handedly losing the game for my opponent
Alakazam for making the most predictable attacks and wasting his potential to wreck my team.

Ultimately, a series of bad plays in the beginning sacrificed Alakazam and Zapdos, the two biggest threats to me on his team. Even so, all hope was not lost until he decided to let Weavile die. So, the ultimate slop goes to Venator for making a terrible switch and losing the game because of it.

Also, if anyone's interested:
Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Couchfucka (Salamence) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 8 SDef / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Scald
- Recover
- Taunt

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Thanks for reading!

Well this is a pretty well written warstory, if not a particularly attractive one to look at. Some sprites really would've been nice, but hey, I understand your goal was to be instructional. Just remember that some people won't be bothered to read something that looks like a wall of text for fun; putting in some pictures will at least make it look less intimidating.

The battle was... well really kind of bad. Not you so much, you did pretty well, but going from team matchup alone, that guy should've fucked your team to kingdom come. Problem was, he absolutely failed at using it properly (He put together a really good team with all those seldom used Pokemon, and then failed to use it properly. That's an outrage!). It does do a good job of showing the value of prediction and planning in competitive Pokemon though, which I gather was your intention. You were able to beat a team that pretty much had your number by playing well around it. That is a good lesson.

Oh, and for the record, you totally could've wasted the shit out of that Alakazam had you volt-switched to Scizor, but then again you didn't know if he was going to predict it or not. You didn't know how bad he was when the match started of course :P.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think your being a little harsh (on his opponent) Jimera0

While I agree that sacing Weavile was an exceptionally poor play, and going for Toxic Spikes over Stealth Rock (which he must have had if he was running Poison Point) was sub par when you have priority WoW to fuck over Terrakion and Mence, but for the most part I just think he was outplayed (also that Poison Point screwed him a little but w/e).

thesilverbandit correctly figured out what he would need to do in order to ensure a Salamence sweep and then carried out his plan. I don't think this makes his opponent "bad" because of this.

The Warstory itself

Warstory was good, you predicted well and it was pretty good. Echoing Jimera0 that sprites would have been cool but it was pretty well written so well done on that

Eh harsh? I wasn't trying to be harsh. I was just pointing out that his opponent made a lot of questionable plays. He let his most useful Pokemon against his opponents team go down before they had done their jobs and also made some glaring gaffs like switching Weavile into Salamence and using Toxic Spikes (not just before Stealth Rock; he shouldn't've used them at all against this team. It's not like thesilverbandit had any tricky walls he needed it to get past).

This isn't necessarily a bad thing for the goal of his warstory though; to show the value of strategy, prediction and thinking ahead. thesilverbandit played better and won because of it, despite his opponent having just the right Pokemon to screw him over. It really is a textbook example of how to play around your weaknesses, which is exactly what he was looking to make.

If he was going for a really dramatic story to entertain and excite readers, it might not've been a great thing, but for his purpose? Works perfectly.

Now if your not saying I was not being harsh to thesilverbandit, but to the guy he was playing, then you're totally right. The person he was playing against was clearly inexperienced or just not very good at actually battling. That or they were tired or otherwise impaired like I am sometimes when I play >.> I know I've done just as bad before when my brain wasn't working to its fullest potential.

I honestly disagree that his opponent had a major advantage. I thought he was at a severe disadvantage for most of the match, trying to use a majority of UU against the Volt-Turn standard. The fact that he made misplays only guaranteed the victory for the OP, imo.

I honestly disagree that his opponent had a major advantage. I thought he was at a severe disadvantage for most of the match, trying to use a majority of UU against the Volt-Turn standard. The fact that he made misplays only guaranteed the victory for the OP, imo.
Usage doesn't matter when it comes to individual match up. His opponent had just the right things to beat his team. Zapdos alone could beat 5 of his Pokemon, Sabeleye had the potential to neuter all his main attackers, he had nothing to stop Alakazam from wrecking havoc with his team seeing as the only thing that outsped it was also revenge killed by Weaville. Milotic also walled almost his entire team as well. It was a bad match up, regardless of how seldom used the Pokemon on the opposing team were. It was because he played better than his opponent that he won.

I'm currently waitlisted at U Chicago and accepted to Berkeley, so I might not end up going there, but I am still really interested in the school (mainly for its stellar Economics program). If things end up working out (any tips?), something like this would be extremely fun to be a part of.

Anyhow, the warstory was entertaining, albeit a bit lopsided. I have already been absorbed into Pokeculture so to speak, but I can see how it would be appealing to an openminded individual ready to try out pokemon again. Youtube videos with similar commentary are what pulled me into Pokemon after I abandoned it in my childhood, and I see similar elements in your warstory. Yeah, it could be more aesthetically pleasing, but it still made its point. I liked it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)