XY LC Volt-Turn (but not really) Mk. II (Peaked #1)

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mk. I / BW Edition

Hi! This is a team I've been using for a few months. I originally created this team because I didn't have any good team anymore after the Misdreavus ban, and decided to look at my old BW2 teams to see if any strat could still be pulled off in XY. That's when I remembered my Volt-Turn team (linked at the top of this post) that I RMT'd.

I decided to update it for the new meta, and several people asked me if they could borrow the team for the LC Open. Now that the tournament is finishing soon, I feel like this team should be retired. So, here you go, the team!

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

FIRE IS MY BLOOD (Larvesta) @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
Level: 5
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
"So as I pray, unlimited blade works!"

Larvesta is one of the best physical attacker checks around. Taking 65% from Pawniard's strongest SD-boosted move is a feat not even Mienfoo can achieve. Flame Body is the cherry on the cake, as I don't even need to use Will-O-Wisp to cripple my opponent most of the time.

Flare Blitz is a strong STAB move that deals a lot of damage to anything in general, although it's a bit weaker than I would expect, but that's because I don't run any attack EVs. U-turn gives this team part of its name: it's a fantastic momentum-grabbing tool that allows me to scout the opponent and get out of chinchou switch-ins. Morning Sun is a much-needed recovery move, making Larvesta the great tank it is. Will-O-Wisp is the least useful move, but I need it in case Flame Body is getting unreliable.

The EVs maximize physical bulk, along with giving it some decent special bulk to sponge some resisted hits. Eviolite is a given, boosting Larvesta's defenses, while Flame Body detracts opponents from using Knock Off.

WTHDYTIA KICK (Mienfoo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 Atk / 116 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
"Who-the-hell-do-you-think-I-am-KICK!"

Mienfoo is one of the two scarfers on the team, and I consider Scarfoo the best Mienfoo set this meta. It just does everything: threat checking, wallbreaking, cleaning, and momentum grabbing. Regenerator is a really cool ability, letting Mienfoo shrug off weak hits if it needs to attack twice, and getting back some of the HP lost in the match-up.

High Jump Kick and Drain Punch are the much-needed STABs: HJK is just really good in general, hitting really hard and 2HKOing any opponent that doesn't resist it. It also has the benefit of hitting the normal-type walls super effectively, which is a great thing, as my team somewhat struggles against them. Knock Off is great for removing items and revenge killing ghost- and psychic-type opponents, while U-turn is just great in general for grabbing momentum on things like Spritzee.

The EVs allow Mienfoo to always survive LO adamant carvanha's waterfall after SR, while the one point substracted from attack doesn't really affect damage rolls.

ZAP7 (Chinchou) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 228 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Heal Bell
- Ice Beam
"it has been permanently inscribed into history books, statues, monoliths and more in honor of it's euphoria and enlightement!"

Chinchou is, honestly, one of the best pokémon in this meta. I really like the offensive Berry Juice set, which is often a staple on my teams. Volt Absorb, along with Drilbur, prevents Volt Switch spam from annoying me.

Volt Switch is Chinchou's staple move, hitting decently hard anything switching in it and allowing me to scout. While ground-types may be immune to it, they're weak to HPump, which is this set's general spammable move. Heal Bell allows me to remove annoying burns, paras, and sleep, while Ice Beam gets Cottonee and Foongus on the switch. Pretty straightforward set.

The EVs give Chinchou 17 speed, while the rest is dumped in SpA for better attacking power. Porygon is annoying to fight with this, though, since HPump doesn't do much against it and trace copies Volt Absorb, preventing me from Volt Switching.

PIERCE THE HEAVENS (Drilbur) @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
"Your drill is the drill that will pierce the HEAVENS!"

Drilbur is the only spinner worth running in this meta. It's decently bulky, fast, and hits hard, while Mold Breaker allows me to KO Sturdyjuicers.

Stealth Rock is very useful for the team, as it allows me to beat annoying sash pokés and sturdyjuicers: it also generally weakens things, and turns a lot of 3HKOes into 2HKOes. Rapid Spin allows me to support Larvesta and Archen, since the SR weakness is kinda annoying. Earthquake is a strong STAB move that hits everything hard, while Poison Jab lures in Cottonee and KOes it, along with beating other gimmicky Grass-types likes Chespin.

The EVs are relatively straightforward: Max speed and attack, dump the rest in HP.

FULLMETALALCHEMIST (Magnemite) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
"If one wishes to obtain something, something of equal value must be given..."

Magnemite is the second scarfer of the team: It's also a general utility check, as Sturdy allows me to get at least one hit on boosted threats.

Volt Switch is the move I use 90% of the time: hits hard from 20 SpA. Thunderbolt allows me to hit things like Vullaby harder, along with a 50% chance to KO opposing Scarfoo. Flash Cannon allows me to deal with Fairy-types like Spritzee, while HP ground lures in Chinchou and 3HKOes it.

The EVs are relatively straightforward, too: the EVs are invested in SpA and Speed. A Modest nature is used, since I don't need the extra speed point, and it gives Magnemite a bit more power.

AS FREE AS A BIRD (Archen)
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish / Knock Off
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
"But that's why I can't let myself be weighed down by fuckin' regrets. A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught!"

Itemless Archen is the greatest wallbreaker ever. Even though Defeatist sounds like something that would prevent it from being good, it has so much power that you won't even care about that.

Acrobatics is the main move on the set: It OHKOes Mienfoo, Foongus, 2HKOes Spritzee and Porygon, and deals 40% to Ferroseed. That's how powerful it is. Earthquake deals a lot of damage to Magnemite and Chinchou, while Stone Edge will rarely be used. However, it always KOes Vullaby after SR, so it's p nice. The last slot doesn't really matter: I sometimes use Rock Polish, which may seem gimmicky, but can secure you a win when you're against something like fletchling and haven't revealed you're itemless yet. Knock Off can be used, though, as it 2HKOes Slowpoke, one of the few pokémon that can tank two hits from Archen.

The EVs allow me to hit 17 speed, along with maxing the attack stat. The remaining EVs are placed in defense to tank priority better.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Well, that was the team! Feel free to use it, like, and maybe rate it!

FIRE IS MY BLOOD (Larvesta) @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

WTHDYTIA KICK (Mienfoo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 Atk / 116 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

ZAP7 (Chinchou) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 228 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Heal Bell
- Ice Beam

PIERCE THE HEAVENS (Drilbur) @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

FULLMETALALCHEMIST (Magnemite) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]

AS FREE AS A BIRD (Archen)
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Last edited:

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Great team, I used this in grand slam and was unfortunate enough to lose due to the quality accuracy of both Hydro Pump and HJK. Carvanha is a pretty big threat to the team but you do have some decent enough checks and I wouldn't know what to change to handle it better :>

Hi apt, this is one great team that seems really solid, congrats on your peak well deserved (even though volt-turn is free wins on the ladder lol get good n_n). Like I said this team is really solid so I don't have much to say about except that using U-Turn instead of Rock Polish / Knock Off will be a great idea as it fits well in the team's theme and gives you great offensive momentum as it allows you to scout switches and switch on the appropriate counter, it also allows you to deal ~40% to physically defensive Slowpoke. Other than that I got nothing to say, great job, hope I helped and good luck.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi apt, this is one great team that seems really solid, congrats on your peak well deserved (even though volt-turn is free wins on the ladder lol get good n_n). Like I said this team is really solid so I don't have much to say about except that using U-Turn instead of Rock Polish / Knock Off will be a great idea as it fits well in the team's theme and gives you great offensive momentum as it allows you to scout switches and switch on the appropriate counter, it also allows you to deal ~40% to physically defensive Slowpoke. Other than that I got nothing to say, great job, hope I helped and good luck.
Hey, thanks for the rate!

I don't really like U-turn on Archen, as the general strategy when using it is to deal as much damage as possible before dying. The only purpose U-turn may have is against stall, and generally, running Knock Off is better as it allows me to at least cripple something and deals higher damage to Slowpoke (I'd rather not switch out of archen when the opponent likely has Stealth Rock up). Against offensive teams, Rock Polish is generally better too, as it gives me an additional win condition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)