Resource VGC 2023 Regulation C Viability Rankings

These are the official Viability Rankings for VGC 2023 Regulation C. In this thread, we as a community will be ranking each and every usable pokemon into different tiers based on how viable we believe them to be. We encourage you to post your thoughts and opinions on on the various usable Pokemon in VGC and what tier you think they should belong in. Posts in this thread will be taken into consideration when deciding changes to the VR.

The general idea of this is to rank every usable Pokemon in VGC into different rankings that will go in descending order. Since we are evaluating the entirety of the metagame, we will not be splitting Pokemon based on their roles within teams - supportive and offensive Pokemon will be ranked based on their impact that they have on the meta and the teams they will be brought for.

Finally, there will be a Council of experienced players who will discuss and vote on the ranking of each Pokemon. As the Series tend to be fairly short, we will be attempting to keep this up-to-date based on what's going on in the tournament scene and adapting our list based on both tournament results and ladder success as the metagame evolves. Keep in mind, your posts and insights are still very valuable to us and will be a factor in any changes that we make. This thread would be nothing without the community and all of your input, so if you feel you have a good grasp on the metagame and fully understand the forum rules, then don't be hesitant to post.

VGC 2023 Regulation C Viability Rankings

S-Tier

S

:Flutter Mane: Flutter Mane
:Amoonguss: Amoonguss

S-
:Ting-Lu: Ting-Lu
:Arcanine: Arcanine
:Palafin: Palafin

A-Tier

A+

:Chi-Yu: Chi-Yu
:Chien-Pao: Chien-Pao
:Iron Bundle: Iron Bundle

A
:Kingambit: Kingambit
:Dragonite: Dragonite
:gyarados: Gyarados
:Glimmora: Glimmora
:Tatsugiri: Tatsugiri
:Dondozo: Dondozo
:Iron Hands: Iron Hands

A-
:Great Tusk: Great Tusk
:Gholdengo: Gholdengo
:Baxcalibur: Baxcalibur

B-Tier

B+

:Maushold: Maushold
:Annihilape: Annihilape
:Garchomp: Garchomp
:Corviknight: Corviknight
:Murkrow: Murkrow
:Roaring Moon: Roaring Moon
:Talonflame: Talonflame
:Torkoal: Torkoal
:Orthworm: Orthworm
:Abomasnow: Abomasnow
:Jumpluff: Jumpluff

B
:Wo-Chien: Wo-Chien
:Brute Bonnet: Brute Bonnet
:Dragapult: Dragapult
:Gothitelle: Gothitelle
:Mimikyu: Mimikyu
:Tyranitar: Tyranitar

B-
:Farigiraf: Farigiraf
:Ceruledge: Ceruledge
:Azumarill: Azumarill
:Scizor: Scizor
:Garganacl: Garganacl
:Indeedee-F: Indeedee-F
:Pelipper: Pelipper
:Scream Tail: Scream Tail

C-Tier

C+

:Sandy Shocks: Sandy Shocks
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash
:Armarouge: Armarouge
:Hatterene: Hatterene
:Tauros-Paldea-Blaze: Tauros-Paldea-Blaze
:Volcarona: Volcarona
:Lycanroc: Lycanroc
:Lilligant: Lilligant
:Klefki: Klefki

C
:Espathra: Espathra
:Meowscarada: Meowscarada
:Oranguru: Oranguru
:Sylveon: Sylveon
:Grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:Iron Treads: Iron Treads
:Sableye: Sableye
:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua
:Bronzong: Bronzong
:Iron Moth: Iron Moth
:Iron Jugulis: Iron Jugulis

Last edited:
Woohoo I am glad to finally see a Viability Ranking Post for this meta. And comparing that list with the one I made myself, there are a lot of similarities. However, one Pokemon needs a huge buff: Orthworm.

With the meta being very physically oriented and more people running only one Special Attacker in Flutter Mane, Orthworm can be very flexible in the way it can be played. It doesn't have to rely on just Shed Tailing Out anymore - Orthworm can heavily pressure such teams, that rely on said Special Breaker. Just by its typing + Tera Type Fire and the Ability, it can check a good portion of strong cores right now being: Dragonite + Chien Pao, Baxcalibur Palance, Gyarados + Ting Lu or Garchomp + Talonflame.
If it weren't for Body Press + Iron Defense being so effective in this current meta, I wouldn't make such a case for Orthworm. It's the Shed Tail Option that makes it more difficult to play around right now.

It needs a ton of support however. Without Ting Lu's Earthquake Spam + its ability to drop the opponents special attack, one would have a hard time using Orthworm. But with said support, it easily beats the C Rank mons by viability.

So personally I say we move Orthworm

1682520178330.png
C → B-/B

Quick thoughts:

Palafin faces a lot of competition in the water slot with Gyarados and Bundle both being very good. Palafin is very good on the best team but it hasn't seen a ton of play outside of that team, as compared to the other S mons. S -> S-

Dragonite is one of the highest used mons on battle stadium and every GC. It's got three very strong sets it can run, has a place on Palance, Aggro, and EQ spam teams. A -> A+

Mimikyu is kinda high given its lack of results. Only one in day two of EUIC and 2 at Fort Wayne. It faces a lot of competition in the ghost slot and I'd put it in the same tier as Dragapult B+ -> B

On the other hand, there were 4 Corv in day 2 of Fort Wayne and 6 at EUIC, so I'd move that up a rank B -> B+

Tyranitar feels better than the mons in its tier, it hasn't had a ton of success but it's had a decent conversion rate and is very good into certain teams. It's usage and success is comparable to Indeedee. B--> B

I think you could also argue for Garganacl and Ceruledge to move up but they haven't had the success to warrant that, its just my assessment of their roles.

Abomasnow is currently everywhere on ladder, largely as a Bundle enabler. I think it has a place in the meta and should move up out of C. C+ -> B-

Orthworm has done very well in GCs so far. It's a more recent meta development so it doesn't have IRL tourney results other than Koutesh's t32 at EUIC but its very well positioned into the metagame and I think deserves to move up as well. C -> B

Klefki and Jumpluff both have had decent finishes in tournament. I'd move them both up as well. C -> C+

Viability Rankings Update

:Palafin: Palafin from S to S-
Palafin is still an excellent Pokemon, but competes for a slot with other amazing Water-types like Gyarados, Dondozo and Iron Bundle unlike Amoonguss and Flutter Mane who face limited competition.

:Bronzong: Bronzong from UR to C
Bronzong has been getting some usage because its a decent Trick Room setter so it deserves to be ranked.

:Corviknight: Corviknight from B to B+
With its great typing, ability and movepool Corviknight is in a great spot this meta which it has been showing with both a great conversion rate at Ft Wayne and EUIC.

:Orthworm: Orthworm from C to B-

:Abomasnow: Abomasnow from C+ to B-

:Jumpluff: Jumpluff from C to B-

All of these had good results recently, however mostly on ladder, in the Global Challenges and in Grassroot tournaments so we'll see if they deserve to move up more with good event results or fall off.

:Mimikyu: Mimikyu from B+ to B

:Indeedee-F: Indeedee-F from B to B-

Both of these just lacked results to justify their previous placements and therefore dropped a tier.

Last edited:
Viability Rankings Update

:Iron Hands: Iron Hands from A+ to A
Iron Hands no longer has the results to compare itsself to the other great Pokemon in A+ and therefore dropped a tier.

:Lilligant: Lilligant from B- to C+
Jumpluff has taken its slot over on most sun teams, which hurts Lilligant's viability a lot.

:Tyranitar: Tyranitar From B- to B
:Lycanroc: Lycanroc From UR to C+

Tyranitar with and without Lycanroc has gotten some nice performances recently, showing its still in a decent spot this meta.

:Dondozo: Dondozo from A- to A
:Tatsugiri: Tatsugiri from A- to A
:Glimmora: Glimmora from A- to A

The Glimmdozo combo has had very impressive performances at almost every event so far, especially for their usage. Glimmora also gets good results without TatsuDozo and the same is true for TatsuDozo without Glimmora.

:Scream Tail: Scream Tail from C+ to B-
:Pelipper: Pelipper from C+ to B-

Both of these have been really consistent with the top 32s and top 16s, especially Pelipper. Scream Tail also got top 8 and Portland recently. These results make them deserving of B-.

:Klefki: Klefki from C to C+
Not being weak to Flutter Mane has made Klefki the preferred Prankster screens setter over Grimmsnarl and Sableye.

:Iron Jugulis: Iron Jugulis from C+ to C
Jugulis has been really lacking with results and would almost never be considered over Murkrow and Talonflame as Tailwind setters.

:Iron Moth: Iron Moth from UR to C
Iron Moth has gotten some decent results at Sao Paulo proving it is not entirely outclassed by Chi-Yu so it deserves to be ranked.

:Orthworm: Orthworm from B- to B+
:Abomasnow: Abomasnow from B- to B+
:Jumpluff: Jumpluff from B- to B+

All of these had very good results at events recently backing up their online results and showing their archetypes are all a big part of the metagame.

Last edited:
Recommending this move from A->A+
Iron Hands has resurfaced in the meta, with Tera Fire Safety Goggles Swords Dance being one of the best wincons for balance in the current metagame. It's ability to favorably 1v1 and trade damage with almost every meta threat, almost soloing Palabalance and Flutter Chi Yu, especially when Terastal is factored makes it insanely potent. This, and it's ability to naturally synergize with balance staples, especially Ting Lu, makes it easy to slap onto a team. We saw this at Hartford, where 6/8 top cut teams had Hands, 3 being SD and 3 being AV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)