VGC [VGC 2020] Trick Room Doubles

This is a team I've been working on for several days now. I've ironed out a lot of issues I had with setting up trick room, but I believe I've gotten the proper set-up down.

Proof of usage/success:
Untitled.png

Although I'm not very high in the rankings, I started fresh and went 5-0 and beat two other trick room teams during this 5-match test.

There are three ways I approach using these Pokemon in a VGC setting: Alpha, Mixed, and Safe. Alpha is one Trick Room Setter 2 Sweepers, and a Swagger/Power Swap Grimmsnarl. Mixed is one Trick Room setter, a Dual Screens setter, and 2 Sweepers. Safe is two Trick Room setters, a Dual Screens setter, and one Sweeper. You can choose based on your playstyle; the testing I did involved all three approaches. Exportable examples are listed below:
Cofagrigus @ Mental Herb
Ability: Mummy
Level: 50
Happiness: 160
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Energy Ball

Dracovish @ Room Service
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs

Vikavolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Energy Ball

Grimmsnarl @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough
- Power Swap
- Swagger
Cofagrigus @ Mental Herb
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Energy Ball

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough

Dracovish @ Room Service
Brave Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs

Vikavolt @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Energy Ball
Hatterene @ Figy Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
Brave Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough

Cofagrigus @ Mental Herb
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Energy Ball

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

Hatterene

Hatterene @ Figy Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire

As a Trick Room setter, Hatterene is great. It has great SpA and Mystical Fire is decent for neutering SpA threats under Trick Room. Her Spe tier is perfect for Trick Room, only being faster than Ferrothorn (who is not OHKOing you under screens anyway). It does massive damage to mostly anything you see, and Figy Berry Keeps it alive in a pinch. This EV spread allows you to survive almost any Steel attacks under screens at least once, allowing you to get off one Trick Room unless it is attacked twice in the same turn.

Grimmsnarl

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
Brave Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough

Grimmsnarl is the best user of Prankster I have seen so far. Rest, Sleep Talk, Bulk Up, Screens, Trick, Power Swap, and T-Wave have increased priority (which is insane). In this case, along with many others, he is setting up dual screens. This obviously provides priority to bulking up your entire team. The reason T-Wave is not here is because your goal is to be slower than your opponent at all times with setting Trick Room, and using T-Wave in this scenario would counteract your goal here. Darkest Lariat and Play Rough are good coverage moves. This EV spread provides bulk and survivability from SpA Fairy types, and Brave nature adds an extra 14 Atk to give it an extra push when applying damage.

Cofagrigus

Cofagrigus @ Mental Herb
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Energy Ball

Cofagrigus is here as a 2nd Trick Room option if you believe it would do better than Hatterene or in conjunction with it depending on what you see in team preview. It's lack of weaknesses outside of Dark and Ghost along with it's immense bulk is why it makes a great Trick Room setter. Mental Herb is given to it to prevent it from flinching or succumbing to Taunt once so it can set the Trick Room despite efforts to prevent it from doing so. This EV spread maximizes bulk, because Nasty Plot will make up for the lack of investment in SpA. Energy Ball is here for neutral coverage.

Dracovish

Dracovish @ Room Service
Brave Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs

Let's be honest, Dracovish could fit on any team you want it to. But here, he is used as a sweeper, which is often the case. Because of his "decent" Spe stat, I've opted to mitigate that by giving it the Room Service Item. This usage of this item along with the Brave nature allows you to be very quick compared to other sweepers under a Trick Room, which further boosts Fishious Rend alongside the Strong Jaw ability. His other moves here are for coverage. This is one of three Pokemon listed here that are good for Dynamaxing (which is relevant now, and may not be during a future reading of this post if it has been banned).

Vikavolt

Vikavolt @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Protect/Flash Cannon/Air Slash
- Energy Ball

Vikavolt serves the same purpose that Dracovish does, but with different coverage options. Quiet nature prioritizes SpA. This EV spread is used to maximize damage output while using Life Orb (because I'd rather not be choiced in a VGC setting). I do not use protect outside of Vikavolt because I think Protect is a better option over Flash Cannon or Air Slash because Rock Slide and Mystical Fire will be detrimental to you if your opponent happens to be more powerful than expected and your screens are down. You are welcome to use one of the offensive options if you prefer full coverage, though. This is one of three Pokemon listed here that are good for Dynamaxing (which is relevant now, and may not be during a future reading of this post if it has been banned).

Doublade

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

Doublade is here as a bulky Set-Up Sweeper. Eviolite boosts your Defenses up to great levels, and are even better under screens. Swords Dance boosts your Atk to more than acceptable levels. This EV spread focuses on improving bulk and maximizing Atk. Trick Room is your biggest ally, due to Doublade's really low Spe tier. This is one of three Pokemon listed here that are good for Dynamaxing (which is relevant now, and may not be during a future reading of this post if it has been banned).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)