SV OU Very new to OU and just want some tips to work on when I build future teams

I'm a very casual pokemon player and I wanted to try and get into the format. I really like scrafty and I saw something online saying he was a lot better because of tera being added so I tried to build a team, but my success has been very limited. I don't need someone to fix my team per se, but more like things I should focus on when I build new teams because I'm not good at that part.

Scrafty @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Dragon Dance
- Poison Jab

My goal here is to switch into a good matchup and get 1 or 2 dragon dances off here and then try and take over with moxie. The drain punch is to keep my life up despite the drain from life orb which can also protect me from priority because I won't be very low hopefully. Tera poison to take down the fairy types that destroy this guy which has helped a lot.

Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Tera Blast
- Grass Knot
- Psychic

Really strong special attacker and the good speed helps it take a lot of matchups well. The timid nature helps me outspeed a lot of pokemon and the choice specs helps it kill most mons in 1 or 2 hits. The electric immunity is also really nice for switch ins when my corviknight is threatened.

Torkoal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drought
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Solar Beam
- Lava Plume

Rapid spin to help clear hazards in case corviknight can't do it safely and then all offensive moves because it has taken a lot of people off guard. I don't really need stealth rock and I couldn't find anyone else to put a ground move on without sacrificing a lot. It can definitely do a really good amount of damage unexpectedly and has helped blindside people before.

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Body Press
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Good defensive wall and it is a good switch in for a lot of the threats to my main damage dealing pokemon. Fighting type tera in case I really need to do damage with body press. Because I have defog, it doesn't make much sense to carry my own hazards.

Gouging Fire @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Burning Bulwark

Works really well with torkoal and drought. The strong bulk allows it to set up at least one dragon dance and burning bulwark can take people off guard and cripple their power by a lot, allowing me to setup even more. The damage on this guy is really good two after sun and one dragon dance. Grass tera type helps me with ground and rock weakness, but I'm open to other tera ideas.

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave
- Make It Rain

Wanted another special attacker and being able to speed control with thunder wave can be really helpful. The bulk on this guy can be really helpful. Tera water removes a lot of the dangerous matchups I can face. He usually is good for a least one pokemon and can turn the tide by making a fast enemy slower than my carries.

Sorry this is super barebones, I'm trying my best to learn and hopefully I will continue getting better. If you read through it all, sincerely thank you I appreciate it a lot.

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
This team looks like a offenisve team with sun in it. DO you want it geared toward sun or just a offensive team with scrafty on it?

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
Okay then
Torkoal < Great Tusk. Tusk does a better job of spinning than Torkoal does and is a good defensive wall.

Because this team is meant to support Scrafty, perhaps screens could help it set-up. Grimmsnarl can set-up screens effectively as well as spread paralysis and switch out and lower the opponents attacking stats. Corviknight I think doesn't fit this team whe there is already a spinner so I would replace Grimm for Corv.

Somebody else feel free to add on or disagree with me

Okay then
Torkoal < Great Tusk. Tusk does a better job of spinning than Torkoal does and is a good defensive wall.

Because this team is meant to support Scrafty, perhaps screens could help it set-up. Grimmsnarl can set-up screens effectively as well as spread paralysis and switch out and lower the opponents attacking stats. Corviknight I think doesn't fit this team whe there is already a spinner so I would replace Grimm for Corv.

Somebody else feel free to add on or disagree with me
Ok I'll try that out now thank you very much!

You could also look into a Sticky Web for your team since Scrafty is pretty slow it might help here and there (even tho he has DD) and Thundurus with Choice Specs, no Scarf means the web can help sweeping late game. Just a quick thought!

VicBossMG

MGS enthusiast
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
https://pokepast.es/c9899f1f326f277a

I kept the core Pokemon you used but replaced Tork with great tusk with rapid spin, Templar flare, headlong rush, ice spinner 252 atk 252 speed jolly and item is boots to avoid hazards,Templar flare doubles in power if it whiffs a move so if you rapid spin vs gholdengo or headlong rush air balloon dengo templar flare becomes 140 base attack if your last move fails and is great vs corv and skarm as well, Tera fire to get max dmg if needed and a fairy resist.

Thunderus-t I think the specs Tera flying Tera blast is fine so I just replaced psychic with volt switch as you can use a pivot move and is stab. Otherwise set is great.

I replaced corviknight with Ribombee as a sticky web user as I feel your team can REALLY take advantage of it especially since scrafty is 236 with jolly it really needs all the help it can get. Skill swap is for hatterene trying to switch in and put webs on your side, moon blast since it’s stab, sticky web as mentioned before already, and stun spore to paralyze targets down. Tera steel for Glimmora can mortal spin if needed.

I changed gholdengo to a more defensive role and a potential sweeper, I have used this spread and set in the past with great success as +4 Tera fairy dazzling gleam will ohko kingsmbit, it helps vs roaring moon who is x4 weak to fairy, raging Bolt, and hits great tusk as well. ev in speed is enough to outdspeed iron Val and roaring moon on webs. Nasty plot, dazzling gleam, shadow ball, and recover for you can stay healthy and potentially sweep if an opportunity opens. Spread 196 hp, 160 def bold nature, and
152 in speed puts you at 242. You can mess with the EVs if you want.

Lastly gouging fire is stolen from Spook’s set as it can potentially sweep and can pp stall curse dozo. It’s an amazing set and with webs you can mess with the EVs if you want for speed but it’s a very good spread and can be your back up sweeper since you lack something vs stall since breaking swipe lowers your opponents attack by 1 stage can pp stall dozo and help vs great tusk using EQ or headlong rush and Tera Poison vs gliscor trying to toxic you and as said breaking swipe will lower their attack for EQ.https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...pproved-✅breaking-swipe-gouging-fire.3736431/ More info in his RMT

Lastly you can drop gouging fire for Tera dark black glasses kingambit with 252 atk adamant, 252 speed as anything at 298 speed kingambit with outspeed and if you never used Tera fallen five with one SD Tera dark black glasses can OHKO roaring moon +4 sucker Tera dark can have a chsnce to ohko max attack n speed great tusk. Moveset is, kowtow, swords dance, iron head, sucker punch. This can also be your stall breaker as well. Another great set is Tera fighting with low kick, kowtow (or iron head), swords dance, and sucker punch with leftovers. Fallen three Tera fighting low kick can 3HKO dozo and break stall, kill opposing kingambits, or other dark types and hit tusk for decent damage or switches vs gambit.

Last edited:

Nanulak

formerly PokefanKIV
Hey! Looks good, but here’s a few tips (I’m sorry, I didn’t read other posts here):

• Definitely replace Grass Knot on Thundurus with Volt Switch. Definitely. A Flying move isn’t important either, so give it a Fighting or Steel Tera to deal with Rock and Ice types
  • I’d take away EQ on Torkoal for Stealth Rock. Rocks can still be OP. Make sure to also give the Attack EVs to Sp. Def, maybe, and give it a Modest nature. And if it’s a Sun team, or you’re not using Booster on Fire, use Heat Rock instead of Boots
  • Try giving Gouging Fire a Ground Tera and EQ over Grass Tera and Burning Bulwark. Trade Outrage for Morning Sun, as well. You could also give it a Booster for no-Sun, as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)