SV OU Veil Grassy Terrain HO (help appreciated)

This post features an HO team I created that was able to climb to around 1600s. This team is a physical overload team with bulkier mons supported by Aurora Veil Alolan Ninetales. This is my first RMT, and one of the first teams I tried to climb with, so help is very much appreciated.

The team: https://pokepast.es/95b55b77c6408143

Maushold @ Wide Lens
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tidy Up
- Bite
- Population Bomb
- Encore

I wanted to create an HO team centered around Maushold. It serves as the primary breaker with functionality as a sweeper. It provides support as hazard control but requires assistance to break through due to Rocky Helmet and Steel types. I chose Tera Ghost over Tera Normal because breaking can be done with other mons, and it helps against Body Press Corv and Zamazenta. Maushold is also the only form of hazard removal for the team, so against webs or heavy hazard stacking, Maushold will be key to keeping some of the bulkier mons healthier.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Encore
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast

Speaking of screens, Aurora Veil Ninetales-Alola is fantastic in HO teams and synergizes well with Maushold. Most of the mons on this team are bulkier than most HO teams and need support for setup. Ninetales-Alola is also the only special attacker on this team. If the opponent has too many physical walls, Alolan Ninetales can provide support with Blizzard and Moonblast. Tera Water is here to help set up against Gholdengo and Zamazenta, both of which are somewhat problematic for the team.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Water
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Waterfall
- Roost

With the presence of hazard and Veil support, I wanted to use a mon that can utilize these supports well to set up a sweep. With Multiscale and Veil, Dragonite has a 4x resist to all moves and, with Dragon/Flying typing, provides additional resistances. I chose Tera Water over Tera Normal for a good defensive type and to survive Ice moves. Dragonite has immunity to webs and spikes but is vulnerable to rocks. With Maushold's Tidy Up, it can clear the field without losing momentum. Behind Veil, Roost and Leftovers can help get back up to Multiscale. Waterfall is stronger than EQ when Tera'd, allowing it to hit certain mons super effectively like defensive Tusk and others neutrally like Corv.

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I sometimes found that Leftovers and Roost were lacking for Dragonite to maintain Multiscale most of the time, so I added a mainstay of HO teams: Choice Band Rillaboom. This is the most common set for Rillaboom, achieving what needs to be done. Against stall teams, it functions as a great wall breaker and provides longevity to the team with terrain. With Knock Off, we can help Maushold sweep by removing Rocky Helmets. Wood Hammer is strong and is one of the ways to break physically defensive mons to open up sweeping opportunities for other mons.

Sneasler @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Lash Out
- Close Combat

With the presence of Rillaboom, we might as well add Unburden Sneasler. It functions in a crucial role for this team as a form of immediate speed and also as a sweeper. Gunk Shot, Lash Out, and Close Combat allow it to take on most of the relevant mons in the format. With these three attacks, it almost always has a way to hit a mon for at least neutral damage, forcing opponents to switch out to their physical walls and hit it with one strong move before dying. Sneasler does not have an easy way to hit the field unless brought out right after a sac. It's important to plan out the times to bring out Rillaboom, as without Unburden, Sneasler is kind of useless.

Ceruledge @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Ghost
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bitter Blade
- Destiny Bond
- Poltergeist

An emerging issue with this team is Steel types, especially Corviknight. It's also challenging to fully take out some physical walls despite having many physical breakers/sweepers. I used this Ceruledge set to address this. This set is effective with the team; it may not have many opportunities to sweep, but Ceruledge is crucial for taking down threats like Corviknight and can trade with other mons due to Destiny Bond. Ceruledge is extremely vulnerable to hazards, but with Maushold's support and Bitter Blade, it can recover HP to trigger its Focus Sash. Ceruledge cannot do anything to certain mons like Booster Wake or Air Balloon Heatran after the balloon pops; however, these mons can be dealt with by other mons to help Ceruledge take down key threats or even sweep.

Threats:

Ribombee - Webs are a pretty bad matchup for the team. The only mon that has immunity to webs is Dragonite, and the other mons tend to lack ways to help Dragonite due to webs.

Zamazenta - Zamazenta is really annoying for the team. Ways to beat it include Destiny Bond Ceruledge, Encore with Tera Water Ninetales, or Maushold. Zamazenta is just too fast and too bulky for the team.

Cinderace - Will-O-Wisp sets are annoying but manageable, as long as you don't allow too many of your mons to get burned.

Corviknight - With Rocky Helmet, it is such a pain. It is usually dealt with by Destiny Bond on Ceruledge or Encore. If knocked off by Rillaboom, it is somewhat manageable with Maushold.

I have been considering changing ceruledge to cinderace, or maushold to tusk. As to mitigate some of these problems but I am not so sure how to do it and if its the right choice.

Outro:

This is my first RMT ever and thank you for reading until the very end. This team still has plenty of room for improvement, so comments and suggestions are highly appreciated. Also shoutout to @/TomatoWizard72 and @/ e22242628 for helping with the RMT and team suggestions.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Hey, seems like an interesting team, and I do understand some of the ideas behind the techs, there's something I don't know and that is

what is the reasoning of the sneasler evs? I suggest you just make it so that it outspeeds valiant in unburden (you can just go max max adamnt like the standard set says)

On :Dragonite: since your packing roost, I suggest you go with the bulky set, to benefit with the bulk investment while still retaining the attack. If you wanna keep the spread, I recommend you drop roost for another coverage move, I believe for all of your necessity, Fire Punch + Tera Fire could be interesting to block burns and boost its power to power through the steel types you seem to have trouble with

And Finally on :Ceruledge: You need to be careful since you're running Knock Off on Rilla, which can be detrimental to your Ceruledge spamming polteargest. Instead of tera ghost I suggest tera grass, this helps you with the water + ground weakness and pre-tera you're immune to burn, this will increase your survivability a bit

And that's it, I hope you consider these changes, and have a good day

Hey, seems like an interesting team, and I do understand some of the ideas behind the techs, there's something I don't know and that is

what is the reasoning of the sneasler evs? I suggest you just make it so that it outspeeds valiant in unburden (you can just go max max adamnt like the standard set says)

On :Dragonite: since your packing roost, I suggest you go with the bulky set, to benefit with the bulk investment while still retaining the attack. If you wanna keep the spread, I recommend you drop roost for another coverage move, I believe for all of your necessity, Fire Punch + Tera Fire could be interesting to block burns and boost its power to power through the steel types you seem to have trouble with

And Finally on :Ceruledge: You need to be careful since you're running Knock Off on Rilla, which can be detrimental to your Ceruledge spamming polteargest. Instead of tera ghost I suggest tera grass, this helps you with the water + ground weakness and pre-tera you're immune to burn, this will increase your survivability a bit

And that's it, I hope you consider these changes, and have a good day
Hello yo thanks for the suggestions, a lot of them really do make sense especially the tera fire dnite. For the sneasler evs i used the evs from a paste by pinkacross and it works relatively well with the bulk from the evs and veil, but i do see the merit to using that spread. Thanks for the suggestions have a good day too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)