UU Sun~~~

Here we go~

This is an offencively-based UU sun team that I've been playing over the past few months under the name Princess Of Autumn. It's gotten to the point where I feel it's RMT-worthy, so let's get started~

"Les Miserables"
Sunny Lead: Mismagius @ Heat Rock
Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spe/4 Sp.Def
Jolly Nature
---
-Sunny Day
-Taunt
-Destiny Bond
-Will-o-wisp

Mismagius does a fantastic job crippling opposing leads and setting up sun. With impressive sp.def, WoW for physical threats, and a quick taunt, she does an excellent job leading, Destiny Bond also ensures a safe switch to one of the sun sweepers while taking down one of the opponent's pokemon. She is capable of outright beating or crippling many leads, not that she's without her problems. LO Moltres, Trickscarf Uxie and Scarfed Sleep Powder Rose are all capable of shutting her down or killing her. However for most of her problems she has easy switches into either Steelix or Houndoom.

"King Louis XVI"
Second Wave: Uxie @ Heat Rock
Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 def
Impish Nature
---
-Sunny Day
-U-turn
-Zen Headbutt
-Stealth Rock

Much as I dislike Uxie sharing weaknesses with Mismagius, the little pixie is pretty much undeniably the best support pokemon in the tier. Killing uxie is extremely difficult, and he's almost guarenteed to set up a second or even a third wave of sun, and then u-turn out to the appropriate sweeper. SR is the support move of choice, given as its the most persistent and often the most useful. Uxie's method of setting up sun has its flaws, mostly in the form of things that stat boost or set up substitutes. His synergy with Mismagius is apparent in that she excels at shutting down setup attempts and then setting up her own sun.

"Legion"
The early physical sweeper: Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spe/252 Atk/4 hp
Adamant Nature
---
-Swords Dance
-Double-Edge
-Earthquake
-Power Whip

The combination of Power Whip, EQ and DE provide neutral coverage on everything aside from Drifblim and Shedinja (>_<) Tangrowth is extremely physically bulky, he can set up an SD on a number of things and then proceed to cause a huge amount of damage. Tangrowth works well with his other early sweeper Houndoom, he easily soaks water/ground and physical attacks aimed at Houndoom, while Houndoom is always eager to take fire moves intended for Tangrowth. Tangrowth also easily beats most fighting types 1v1 that give Houndoom problems.

"Houndong"
The early special sweeper: Houndoom @ Life Orb
Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spe/252 SpA/4 HP
Timid Nature
---
-Flamethrower
-Solar Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Nasty Plot

Houndoom's initial appeal should be obvious, take a fire attack aimed at Tangrowth and then destroy things with a Flamethrower + (Flash Fire+Life Orb+STAB+Sun) But barring that, sunlight does wonders for Houndoom. It gives him access to the much stronger Solar Beam for dealing with bulky waters (With sun this Houndoom easily beats Milotic), removes his water weakness, allowing him to not die to Aqua Jet (I'm looking at you, Azumarill), and of course boosts his STAB move. Dark Pulse is there for coverage against other fire types and hits the occasional pokemon for SE damage(I'd prefer HP:Rock but 95 base speed is very common and the imperfect speed IV really hurts). While Houndoom can cause massive damage in his own right, he also serves as a lure for two very important pokemon, Clefable and Chansey. These two pink blobs easily wall Exeggutor, and are common switchins to Houndoom. Unfortunately for them, if they switch into a Nasty Plot, Houndoom easily beats even 252/Calm Chansey (especially if he has a flash fire boost). Alternately, a pokemon like Hitmontop is easily OHKO'd by +0 flamethrower if it tries to switch in on a nasty plot.

"Ershin"
The late sweeper: Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid Nature
---
-Solar Beam
-HP:Fire
-Psychic
-Sleep Powder

Exeggutor is truly a monster. The list of things OHKO'd by this build is pretty long, and most things that aren't are put to sleep and 2hko'd. Solarbeam is the main STAB move, Sun boosted HP:Fire destroys most steels and grasses (OHKO's most Roserades, and 2hko's registeels), and Psychic is there for STAB coverage on fire types. Timid is used to outspeed Yanmega after 1 speed boost and a lot of scarfers. Exeggutor has enough physical bulk to withstand Fake Outs and Ice Shards (both do around 35%), and resists vacuum wave and aqua jet. Sleep powder covers him against Sucker Punches. Exeggutor is by far most effective once your opponent's team has been revealed, as he can't properly abuse sleep powder unless he knows what's likely to switch in. He also faces 4 major threats, Ambipom, Honchkrow, Clefable, and Chansey (Honchkrow is only a threat if it runs Insomnia). Removing these 4 (or burning the first two) is important for Exeggutor to sweep, although he can still do it or at cause a lot of damage trying.

"Serris"
Filler: Steelix @ Leftovers
Rock Head
EVs: 252 hp/200 SpD/56 Atk
Calm Nature
---
-Rock Slide
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Explosion

Seems like a strange choice for a sun team, I know. However Steelix is here for several important reasons. Without him this team has three major threats in the form of Honchkrow, Swellow, and Speed Boost Yanmega, to which this steelix serves as a counter. Steelix also helps maintain the teams' momentum, he has enough physical and special bulk to not be OHKO'd by most anything, and then enough attack to wreck just about anything with an explosion. Rock Slide provides obvious coverage against yanmega (fuck stone edge), EQ for STAB, Explosion for the aforementioned reasons, and SR considering Steelix is one of the best SR'ers on the tier. I am aware Uxie already has SR, but he's often a bit too busy to do it, so Steelix helps out (this team doesn't get SR up often enough anyway). This steelix is essentially a slightly more frail registeel that hits quite a bit harder, I feel he serves the team's purposes nicely.

General approach: The team aims to sweep with Exeggutor on either the 2nd or 3rd wave of sun. If it gets to the 4th then chances are the team has failed. While Exegg can sweep more easily with sleep powder, ideally you don't want to have to risk it, so weakening some of his 2hko's helps a lot (I'm looking at you, Registeel). Sweeping with Tangrowth is possible too, but there are a few more common things that wall him so I wouldn't advise using him as your late sweeper. Houndoom obviously can't sweep, but can easily punch holes by predicting/guessing and using either NPing or FTing their switch ins appropriately. Don't under-estimate how much damage he does with flamethrower, it really wrecks a lot of things.
Thunder Wave really tends to screw this team up, I advise using Uxie to absorb T-wave as he prefers to be slower for U-turns, it allows him to take a hit and get Houndoom or Tangrowth in unscathed (barring parahax). Steelix works too, of course.

~~~Threat List~~~

(I'm just going down the stat tier list for this)

Roserade: Houndoom resists leaf storm and OHKO's, Exeggutor OHKO's with Psychic, Tangrowth can OHKO after an SD with EQ. As a lead, Missy can shut her down with taunt and set up sun, although she doesn't like LO leaf storm she can take it.

Registeel: Houndoom can OHKO, Exeggutor can sleep him and 2hko with HP:Fire, Tangrowth doesn't mind a t-wave as much as the other two sweepers and can 2hko after an SD. Steelix threatens with EQ

Mismagius: Houndoom again can OHKO with dark pulse, although he can't outspeed he can live an HP:Fighting. Exeggutor can do his normal thing, Tangrowth OHKO's after an SD and isn't OHKO'd back by anything. Steelix can check.

Milotic: lol. Pretty much dead weight against this team.

Uxie: always potentially trouble based on the set. Trickscarf beats the lead missy, and Exeggutor/Houndoom don't enjoy getting paralyzed (although Houndoom doesn't mind a choice scarf). Houndoom can kill it off with a dark pulse if it's weakened, Exeggutor can try to do its normal thing but won't always succeed if Uxie is high on hp, obviously Exegg can't risk switching into a 4x u-turn. Players using trickscarf intelligently (not spamming it on your lead) will always cause a lot of problems, but that's true of every team.

Yanmega: Ugh. Tinted lens variants are pretty much guarenteed a kill (which is pretty much a part of using Yanmega in the first place) but are easily revenged by all 3 faster sweepers. Speed boost variants are outsped by Exeggutor and taken down by HP:Fire. Steelix can check tinted lens and counter speed boost.

Blaziken: Hard to switch into. Easily killed off by Tangrowth or Exeggutor though (Vacuum wave does negligible damage to both), definately gives Houndoom problems.

Hitmontop: Can easily force Houndoom out if he gets a free switch, but Tangrowth walls him and can set up SDs The only thing he can threaten Exeggutor with is Sucker Punch. Can also be checked by steelix, and Missy is a good switch as well.

Ambipom: Annoying of course. Steelix completely counters him pretty much, and Tangrowth can take repeated fake outs.

Azumarill: Don't let her get a free Substitute and she's not an issue. CB aqua jet won't kill Houndoom under the sun, and +2 solarbeam will OHKO her back. The other two have no issue with her at all. Missy can burn her.

Rotom: Unpredictable, but too frail to take hits from any of the sweepers. T-wave and Scarfs can be dangerous, but it won't outspeed Exeggutor with a scarf unless he runs Timid (lol).

Drapion: Not threatening at all. OHKO'd by both Houndoom and Tangrowth (although if he's max+ houndoom has to win a speed tie), and often switches into Missy and gets burned. He can sort of threaten Exeggutor though.

Clefable: Baited and crushed by Houndoom most of the time. Tangrowth can also take it if need be. Definately threatening if played right though, steelix can explode as an emergency measure.

Arcanine: Actually a huge problem. Not OHKO'd by Tangrowth unless he has an SD, can wall Houndoom for the most part, and can hurt Exegg with an Extremespeed before getting slept or killed by Psychic if its wounded. Generally Arcanine has to be killed by Attrition.

Spiritomb: Pretty much completely countered by Houndoom and might also accidentally give him flash fire with WoW. Can't switch into Tangrowth's SD either.

Steelix: Again pretty much dead weight against this team. Exegg and Houndoom easily crush it, and it can't do anything to Tangrowth aside from Roar and Explode.

Absol: always a potential problem with Super Luck, but all 3 have ways of dealing with her, and steelix can check her (or at least force an attack drop with superpower)

Torterra: Pretty much can't do anything against any member of this team unless it gets a rock polish and even then all it can do is kill Houndoom.

Slowbro: Again, pretty much dead weight.

Toxicroak: Tangrowth and Houdoom easily handle Toxi, but Exegg has to resort to sleep powder to avoid getting sucker punched.

Claydol: Dead weight.

Swellow: Outsped and OHKO'd by Exegg's psychic but not quite by Tangrowth's Double Edge (needs a bit of poison damage first) Steelix easily counters any attempts Swellow makes to cause some damage in between waves of sun (which could potentially be a lot >_<)

Chansey: One of the main targets for removal by Houndoom and Tangrowth before Exegg hits the scene, however he can still potentially pick off a weakened one with sleep powder.

Altaria: very unpredictable and hard to kill since nothing on this team SE's her, phasing versions can be extremely troublesome. However she isn't able to cause too much damage to this team, physical builds can be walled and set up on by Tangrowth, special builds are pretty well handled by Houndoom. Exeggutor can potentially kill her with sleep + psychic.

Moltres: hate this thing. She's half the reason I want HP:Rock on Houndoom (curse you speed IV's!!) However Exegg can check her easily if SR is up, Houndoom crushes the toxic stall variants. If she's a whirlwind stall moltres then pretty much nothing on the tier can counter her so I'm not too worried.

Espeon: Scarf Espeon really fucks me up (not kidding). But gimmick builds aside, Tangrowth and Exegg easily handle the psychic kitty as they outspeed, and Houndoom can easily take a hit and dark pulse her in the face.

Sceptile: Subseed is useless against this team, special attackers can't do much to Houndoom, and the only thing they can hit the two grasses with is HP:Fire

Venusaur: physical builds easily handled by Tangrowth, special ones handled by Houdoom, both handled by Steelix in case I don't feel like predicting which it is.

Hitmonlee: Steelix can serve as an emergency check, if Tangrowth is down. Houndoom can OHKO, but can easily fall victim to Scarf or Mach Punch. Exeggutor is only afraid of sucker punch.

Houndoom: I won't lie, opposing Houndooms are a huge pain. Tangrowth can kill them with EQ but nothing can switch into him except my own Houndoom, who doesn't have an SE hidden power. If Houndoom wasn't weak to SR and super Frail, Exeggutor would have a huge problem killing him as well since he resists the entire set. Fortunately nobody runs Early Bird.

Feraligatr: Depends on the set, but a Jolly won't outspeed Exegg after a DD so he can be revenged if worse comes to worse, Tangrowth can threaten him too but doesn't like an SD Ice Punch. I often see if I can explode on Feraligatr in between waves of sun as he can cause huge problems if allowed to set up.

Weezing: totally screws Tangrowth over, but Houndoom loves to come in on him, and Exegg can psychic him for an OHKO.

Dugtrio: slaughters Houndoom, but gives Tangrowth a free SD in return. Exegg can sleep in case he has sucker punch. Not much to say, there's no creative way to play with/against dugtrio.

Regirock: Weak to grass.

Hariyama: hate this thing with a passion. Tangrowth can switch in and force him out but sub/focus punch takes a huge chunk, and Houndoom can't do much if he's thick fat. If he's behind a sub he easily wrecks Exegg with payback too, but can't take psychics.

Lanturn/Kabutops/Blastoise: Dead weight, Kabutops can kind of scare Houndoom with an aqua jet but with the sun it won't do a whole lot and he'll get solarbeamed.

Tangrowth: Definately a problem, especially since he's viable on non-sun teams. my own Tangrowth can't touch other tangrowths and often gets nailed with a SE hidden power or a sleep powder. Houndoom is outsped and very afraid of EQ, Exegg can OHKO with HP:Fire but is too valuable to risk being put to sleep. Generally I utilize sleep fodder when dealing with opposing tangrowth

Scyther: Fairly badly walled by Steelix, especially scarf variants that can outspeed Exegg (just barely). SD can be a problem especially if it sets up inbetween waves of sun since it can severely damage both Uxie and Missy, generally I don't go for a second sun wave until Scyther has been forced out.

Mesprit: pretty much impossible to outright counter considering it can run 5 completely different sets. Figure it out early and act appropriately.

Miltank: Hard to take down all around since there are no fighting moves on this team. Exegg is my best bet, but if Tangrowth or Houndoom set up on the switch they can kill her if she doesn't get lucky with body slam. Steelix can explode if I'm desperate.

Donphan: The only thing Donphan can do is 35% to Exegg with Ice Shard and then get OHKO'd by everything on the team.

Typhlosion: Most are scarfed, and are just begging to have Houndoom switch in on them. Even if they are scarfed, Exeggutor outspeeds unless they are timid (lol). If they get wise to Houndoom and try to focus blast or EQ, Missy can come in, these things do require a bit of prediction but rarely cause much damage.

Notable mention: Jumpluff: Despite being almost completely worthless against most teams, Jumpluff causes this team huge problems. Cockblocking statups, putting things to sleep and raping Exegg with u-turn, she's a huge pain. She generally has to be worn down by SR, and handled by Tangrowth with sleep fodder.

(stopping here)

give me all ratings i am a big fan of ratings.

^_^

Folgorio

I KickTehAss
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Hello aerouille! Well I haven't rated a team in a while so forgive me if it's not the most elaborate thing I've ever done.

Anyway the most aparent thing is the weakness to yanmega, more specifically specs tinted lens yanmega. The thing 2HKOs every pokemon in this team even steelix who cannot afford a switch-in taking 61.58% - 72.60% from a tinted lens bug buzz. What I honestly think would do that role better (yet extremely similarly) would be a specially defensive registeel who counters all the threats steelix does but with the benefit of countering yanmega also.

Registeel @leftovers
careful
252 HP / 100 Atk / 146 SpD/8 speed
-thunder wave
-iron head
-explosion/EQ
-stealth rock

This team is also massively weak to arcanine which has literally no counters and the only way to really hurt it is sleep it or revenge kill it.
So what I was thinking was replacing uxie for something like altaria who can also set up sunny day while being a good fire type counter in general. I also believe it can work since most weather teams HATE paralysis and altaria will be more than glad of ridding it of status with heal bell.

I'm not entirely sure on this one since I've never used a defensive altaria (let alone a sunny day one) but im assuming its something not too different from this:

Altaria @ leftovers
Careful; 248 Hp/ 40 Def./ 20 Spe./ 200 Sp. Def.
-Roost
-Heal Bell
-sunny day
-dragon pulse/aerial ace/fire blast

Im seriously not sure about the last move at all so I just posted anything that might've worked (fire blast because of sunny day boosts obv.)

Anyway that's all i got hope i helped!

I've played around with Registeel in Steelixes slot, and while I agree he does a much better job at walling in general and Yanmega in particular, I found he generally did a better job of stalling out my own sun and giving people oppurtunities to set up during weather breaks (all weather teams are weak to this). I did use one successfully though and it definately is a viable alternative. Also this team really doesn't need T-wave, considering two of the sweepers hit 406 and 460 speed, toxic would probably work out better, especially since the team isn't slowed down by steel types in general. I suppose it would give me another reason to switch Zeggu back to modest too...

The Altaria is a very good idea, actually. I've played around with lots of different offencive altarias on other teams and other sun users on this team but an Altaria had not occured to me. I do generally work quite hard to avoid T-wave, so heal bell would be nice. Since one of Altaria's main threats is Milotic (whom I've mentioned is not a threat to this team at all), she'd probably work out well. I've also come close to putting HP:Rock back on Houndoom (eat 1000 dacks Moltres!!!), which also allows him to beat Arcanine (although not counter him).

I'll test that Altaria out sometime over the next few days.

Also Heat Rock, not leftovers.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Really solid team, just a few notes:

I'd second Folgorio's suggestion of Registeel over Steelix for 2 reasons: the Yanmega issue which, indeed, may give you massive problems with speed boost (considering that it can switch in on a grass move and then protect to outspeed even Exeggutor); and for opposing rain teams, as none of your Pokemon is capable of taking powerful ice beams from things like Omastar or Ludicolo, while the Registeel Folgorio suggested can take even 2 surfs, while spreading paralysis, setting up SR and stalling out the rain during the process.

Now, I don't really like double edge on Tangrowth, especially when it has access to rock slide to hit Drifblim and Moltres, and considering that most grass types in UU are part poison, which make them only neutral to EQ.

Finally, Altaria seems a nice addition too, and the last move should be either dragon claw or aerial ace to deal with things like calm mind Mismagius, although if you opt for Registeel over Steelix, she will be less of a problem.

Good luck!

Seconding Rock Slide over Double Edge on Tangrowth, it lets you smack flyers (especially Moltres, Altaria and Tintedmega)

Have you considered Ninetales over Houndoom? It can run NP/Flamethrower/Solarbeam/HP Rock. Main advantage over Houndoom is the base 100 speed, allows you to whack slower Fire types (Houndoom/Arcanine/Blaziken) and Tintedmega as well.

Folgorio

I KickTehAss
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I've played around with Registeel in Steelixes slot, and while I agree he does a much better job at walling in general and Yanmega in particular, I found he generally did a better job of stalling out my own sun and giving people oppurtunities to set up during weather breaks (all weather teams are weak to this). I did use one successfully though and it definately is a viable alternative.
If running out of sunny day is a problem you could always consider using sunny day and heat rock on that same registeel. I suppose you could take out thunderwave for sunny day; though I wouldn't, seeing as that is basically the move you are going to use to hurt yanmega.

I'd second Folgorio's suggestion of Registeel over Steelix for 2 reasons: the Yanmega issue which, indeed, may give you massive problems with speed boost (considering that it can switch in on a grass move and then protect to outspeed even Exeggutor)
Unless I'm really mistaken here speed boost doesn't activate on switchin. Under the sun with Timid, Exegg hits 449, after 1 speed boost Yanmega hits 433 unless he's also Timid, meaning Yanmega can't switch into Exegg and outspeed (Unless sun fades). This is the main reason to use Timid instead of Modest, and also that it allows Exegg to outrun a number of typical scarfers.

Now, I don't really like double edge on Tangrowth, especially when it has access to rock slide to hit Drifblim and Moltres, and considering that most grass types in UU are part poison, which make them only neutral to EQ.
The fact that Rose is only neutral to EQ is actually the main reason for Double-edge, the extra 20 base power allows Tangrowth to comfortably kill a typical 0/4hp without an SD if she switches into power whip, whereas I think Power Whip -> EQ only has like a 30% chance. (This is something I should have mentioned earlier, I apologize)

I've actually never had a moltres switch into Tangrowth, so it hadn't occured to me as a useful move for her. Ironically it may be that they're afraid of rock slide, heh.
Have you considered Ninetales over Houndoom? It can run NP/Flamethrower/Solarbeam/HP Rock. Main advantage over Houndoom is the base 100 speed, allows you to whack slower Fire types (Houndoom/Arcanine/Blaziken) and Tintedmega as well.
Houndoom outruns Blaziken by a mile, and at the worst speed ties with Arcanine and Yanmega. Either way the whole point of Houndoom is that he provides enough raw power to kill special walls that would give Exegg problems, which Ninetales can't do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)