SS UU UU Sun Team

This is my first time playing UU (I mostly stick to PU) and my first time posting on these forums. I'd never tried a weather team before and sun looked like a fun archetype. after building a bit of a OU team i realized that the team would be way more fun and better in UU, I didn't use many OU pokemon, so i swapped to UU and finished the team

It's a fairly standard sun team, battles normally end quite quickly with this which i like because i have a short attention span. From what ive found playing with this team is 1. Chansey is the worst and is a pain to kill 2. you generally wont do one massive sweep but you also wont kill each of there pokemon individually in most cases. generally its more like 2 mini sweeps that get 2 or 3 of their pokemon with venasaur and hatterene.

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press
- Lava Plume

The Sun Setter, Stealth rock as its probably the best move in the game. Body Press to take advantage of its high defence and can catch people off guard when they see that the torkoal did some damage. Rapid spin as an extra form of hazard support (magic bounce and defog normally take care off it though) Lava plume as despite being a sun team, i found that a lot of the time the lack of STAB fire kind of hurt. The original yawn instead of lava plume might be better though.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Growth
- Weather Ball
- Synthesis

Venasaur is basically a must in sun teams. Quite bulky and can live a long time. Weather ball for fire coverage. Solar beam for a 1 turn 120 grass move. growth for set up. Synthesis for healing 75% of HP. The lack of any good move when sun isnt out is a problem so may replace synthesis with sludge bomb for that poison STAB

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Weather Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot

I wanted a hard hitter who was aided by the sun, yet didn't want to be overly reliant on fire types and fire type coverage and i like heliolisk. Will one shot 90% of things with volt switch and then can switch out to something else as being speced into one move can be a pain. Really good revenge killer that does an insane amount of damage. weather ball and grass knot for fire and grass coverage

Zarude @ Life Orb
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- U-turn
- Synthesis

Revenge killer part 2, synthesis instead of jungle healing as leaf guard will take care of status. a hard hitter who does its job very well although i dont have much to say about them. good switch in for any possible psychic attacks heading for venasaur

Hatterene @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire

get your sun up turn one with torkoal and bounce back there nihilego's rocks. setting up with this happens alot and you probably wont run out of hp as your blasting out +1 or 2 draining kisses. Very standard set for Hatterene.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Sunny Day
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

I experimented a lot for the last slot as chansey, slowking and volcanion also fit in this slot for various different purposes I wanted a water type for that nice fire water grass core, a Pokémon that could serve as a back up sunny day and something that could defog as i don't like running heavy duty boots on stuff. The washing machine was the best fit for this although I do have different versions of this team as this last slot was the one i was most unsure about.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/7378f8e82ed8e496

This is my first time playing UU (I mostly stick to PU) and my first time posting on these forums. I'd never tried a weather team before and sun looked like a fun archetype. after building a bit of a OU team i realized that the team would be way more fun and better in UU, I didn't use many OU pokemon, so i swapped to UU and finished the team

It's a fairly standard sun team, battles normally end quite quickly with this which i like because i have a short attention span. From what ive found playing with this team is 1. Chansey is the worst and is a pain to kill 2. you generally wont do one massive sweep but you also wont kill each of there pokemon individually in most cases. generally its more like 2 mini sweeps that get 2 or 3 of their pokemon with venasaur and hatterene.

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press
- Lava Plume

The Sun Setter, Stealth rock as its probably the best move in the game. Body Press to take advantage of its high defence and can catch people off guard when they see that the torkoal did some damage. Rapid spin as an extra form of hazard support (magic bounce and defog normally take care off it though) Lava plume as despite being a sun team, i found that a lot of the time the lack of STAB fire kind of hurt. The original yawn instead of lava plume might be better though.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Growth
- Weather Ball
- Synthesis

Venasaur is basically a must in sun teams. Quite bulky and can live a long time. Weather ball for fire coverage. Solar beam for a 1 turn 120 grass move. growth for set up. Synthesis for healing 75% of HP. The lack of any good move when sun isnt out is a problem so may replace synthesis with sludge bomb for that poison STAB

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Weather Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot

I wanted a hard hitter who was aided by the sun, yet didn't want to be overly reliant on fire types and fire type coverage and i like heliolisk. Will one shot 90% of things with volt switch and then can switch out to something else as being speced into one move can be a pain. Really good revenge killer that does an insane amount of damage. weather ball and grass knot for fire and grass coverage

Zarude @ Life Orb
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- U-turn
- Synthesis

Revenge killer part 2, synthesis instead of jungle healing as leaf guard will take care of status. a hard hitter who does its job very well although i dont have much to say about them. good switch in for any possible psychic attacks heading for venasaur

Hatterene @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire

get your sun up turn one with torkoal and bounce back there nihilego's rocks. setting up with this happens alot and you probably wont run out of hp as your blasting out +1 or 2 draining kisses. Very standard set for Hatterene.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Sunny Day
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

I experimented a lot for the last slot as chansey, slowking and volcanion also fit in this slot for various different purposes I wanted a water type for that nice fire water grass core, a Pokémon that could serve as a back up sunny day and something that could defog as i don't like running heavy duty boots on stuff. The washing machine was the best fit for this although I do have different versions of this team as this last slot was the one i was most unsure about.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/7378f8e82ed8e496
Welcome to the forums and UU! Sun is such a fun archetype for sure. I think there are a few adjustments that could be made to garner some better results:

:Torkoal:
The changes here are minor; 248 HP EVs means Torkoal can come in 4 times with Stealth Rock up, instead of dying on the 4 with and even number HP stat. I also changed Body Press to Yawn. The team focuses on pressure with Sun up so even though Body Press can get a little surprise damage, Yawn can force your opponent to switch or have a Pokémon put to sleep which gives you great opportunity to bring Venusaur in cleanly and quickly.

:Venusaur:
The set you had was good, but this set is the more common one for Venusaur in UU. It goes all in on offensive pressure; Growth in Sun boosts your SpA by 2 stages, the other 3 moves are to kill anything the opponent sends in, with STAB Giga Drain to recover some HP and keep Venusaur as an offensive threat even without Sun to opposing defensive cores.

:Rotom-Wash:
This suggestion might be less accepted by others but I actually think Sunny Day on Rotom is kind of spicy and a great way to have secondary Sun. I updated to EVs to be full SpD to tank as much damage as possible. Rotom is most commonly max HP/Spe but by investing in SpD instead of Spe this means Rotom can set Sun then Volt Switch slower to pivot to your threats in Venusaur and Heliolisk safely

:Zarude: -> :Conkeldurr:
This seemed like the best place to adjust your team to deal with Chansey. Zarude isn’t an effective abuser of Sun and can’t effectively KO a Chansey so I switched it to something that can surely do damage to Chansey (and other SpD walls). The set is standard Flame Orb Guts with Drain Punch for STAB and recovery, Knock Off as a way to cripple opposing sets by removing the item, Facade as a raw power neutral damage attack and Mach Punch for priority.

Heliolisk is a super interesting addition here and I didn’t want to remove it. Surprising Sun abuser and great for a pivot core with Rotom. If you do still struggle with Chansey this would be the slot that most people run something like Scarf Darmanitan or Band Entei for high physical damage output in the Sun.

Hopefully these changes help and welcome again to the community. Let me know if you have any questions about sets!

Revised Team (click icons):
:Torkoal::Venusaur::Heliolisk::Conkeldurr::Hatterene::Rotom-Wash:

Hey Luku,
Sun is a decent playstyle in the tier at the moment, but some of the sets seem off and a few of the mon choices are not it.

Big changes
:ss/zarude: ---> :ss/charizard: or :ss/darmanitan:
As the person above me stated zarude isnt an effective abuser of sun and you'd rather have something that gains more power. The choice is whether you want to see a giant KABOOM from specs Zard or have more consistency with Scarf Darm as a secondary cleaner. Chansey can't switch into either if you manage to keep rocks up, cause weather ball from zard 2HKOes which is classic.

:ss/rotom-wash: ---> :ss/Mandibuzz: or :ss/Chansey:
Not a fan of Wash on sun in general, it makes u much weaker to Drill because u don't OHKO it on the switch and EQ can nab a kill and its even worse if you did put up Sun and Hydro does less damage or it came in on Volt. Because of Hatt and just for the fact that they can stall you out of sun turns still, I'd recommend checks to steela and aegislash or at least those that can let your fire mons come in on them safely. Chansey provides more comfy pivoting with teleport while still giving you the option of giving a secondary sun setter and Mandibuzz can provide another source of hazard removal if you're so inclined and is a better answer to drill.

:ss/Heliolisk: ---> maybe :ss/swampert:
I'm honestly on the fence on whether or not I want to change this cause Heliolisk is a pretty cool mon, LO or Specs is fine depending on how good you think you can make those sun turns work but Conk will just revenge kill you after so be aware of that. Swampert has been a trending option on Sun teams because it provides you an electric immunity so it's Sun's best option against Rotom-H and provides you with Stealth Rock so Torkoal can fit rest. Sun teams can also be screwed over by Nihilego so that's another reason.

:SS/Torkoal:
For Torkoal this is fine, just run Yawn or Toxic over Body Press because it helps you gain momentum by forcing switches that you can capitalize on. There is honestly nothing that Body Press helps you hit to my knowledge aside from maybe Hydreigon, but that's about it. Like the other person mentioned 248 is preferable.

:ss/venusaur:
Venusaur @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
I get synthesis but the thing is that even wasting one turn not doing damage in sun is very wasteful, you'd rather want both worlds with Giga Drain providing damage and healing. It even helps you beat out chansey because growth boosted giga drains will be able to outheal Seismic Toss's damage. Solar Beam's problems start when you consider that having a move unusable in sun makes you pretty worthless against something like Swampert and the neutral coverage against Pokemon such as Salamence is pretty substantial. Also a large part of what makes venu so threatening is that it can outspeed occasional scarfers like Zarude which is why max speed investment is still needed with modest.

:ss/hatterene:
Hatterene (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 48 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Mystical Fire
- Draining Kiss
- Nuzzle
- Healing Wish
The Calm Minder is okay but giving ur venu a second lease on life or even torkoal is beneficial here. Nuzzle may not seem like the biggest deal considering ur running something that can outspeed everything under the sun, but bad jokes aside, it keeps something like Celesteela or Aegislash from reliably stalling out turns with Protect and King's Shield, respectively.

Here's like two teams I made with the adjustments, I'd rather have zard with a secondary removal like Mandi cause torkoal can be eh with spin.
:torkoal: :Venusaur: :hatterene: :darmanitan: :chansey: :Heliolisk:
:torkoal: :venusaur: :hatterene: :charizard: :mandibuzz: :swampert:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)