UU Simple Questions Thread

Physically Defensive is what I've found to work best because you take hits from Altaria, Lopunny, Jirachi, Zygarde, Aero etc better. Not to mention a lot of specially based attackers like Hydreigon, Chandelure, and even Zam to an extent will destroy you anyway, and others like Nidos, Shaymin, Roserade can't touch you either way (though Seed Flare hurts quite a bit).

If you have an answer for SubCoil Zygarde elsewhere on your team then definitely forgo HP Ice (you will beat DD sets with Toxic and Gyro). Earthquakes pretty nice for wearing down Mega Aggron and Jirachi who you can't touch otherwise but are supposed to counter.

I wouldn't be too discouraged about Empoleon right now though, since it's currently in a really good place in the meta. Specially defensive with Scald/Defog/Stealth Rock and a flexible fourth moveslot (Roar is good for phasing things not named Diancie, Toxic breaks down walls, and Flash Cannon is useful for nailing M-Diancie if your team is particularly weak to it) is the standard, and it has only gotten better recently.

And penguins are weird like that, always being the exception and shit.
Defog empoleon is gonna be a huge pain to get though, i'd like to do it myself but i have no saves behind X :( thats why i was looking at the defiant idea

Not a question moreso a comment, but i think this forum shpuld bring back or make a threat list thread. The meta has changed drastically and there are new limitations/parameters to team building that some players arent aware of. Something to ponder and brood over

Why does florges seem to have such an insane ammount of usage, since people tend to say it's outclassed to blissey.

also, how close is sylveon to dropping to UU?

Why does florges seem to have such an insane ammount of usage, since people tend to say it's outclassed to blissey.

also, how close is sylveon to dropping to UU?
Coming purely from a theorymon standpoint, Florges has more offensive presence with Moonblast and the now-viable Calm Mind/Synthesis set. Before ORAS, Florges was valued for its ability to stop Hydreigon which is less of a problem right now. Blissey tends to be a huge momentum sink and can only whittle things down with Seismic Toss, though I would usually agree that Blissey is a better cleric. The meta is prepared for both of them at the moment with Steel and Fighting being two key types which is why I currently prefer Vaporeon.

Sylveon spiked in usage last month so I doubt we'll see it for awhile.

What is a good amount of speed creep to run on Dragalge? I want to retain as much bulk as possible without sitting at quite an awkward speed tier.

What is a good amount of speed creep to run on Dragalge? I want to retain as much bulk as possible without sitting at quite an awkward speed tier.
Just going out on a limb here, but I would think Modest 188 HP/252 SpA/68 Spe would be nice since it creeps standard Swampert by one point.

52 Speed EVs let you outrun 0 speed base 50s (Mega Aggron and Donphan, also covers Hippo)
92 Speed EVs let you outrun 0 speed base 55s (Blissey, Machamp, also covers Rhyperior, -Spe Swampert, and most Mega Abomasnow).
100 EVs let you outrun the legendary Trevenant.
132 EVs let you outrun 0 speed base 60s (Empoleon, P2, neutral Swampert, also covers 0 speed Scrafty)
172 EVs let you outrun 0 speed base 65s (Umbreon, Vaporeon, Alomomola, Chesnaught). This is the highest I would go because anything more doesn't outspeed anything really relevant.

It really depends on what you consider is the most important to your team. Outspeeding Umbreon and Vaporeon doesn't really gain you much unless you're at low enough HP where Scald/Foul Play kills, but outspeeding Swampert (before it kills you) and P2 (before it Recovers) can be pretty important so I'd go for the base 60 benchmark. However, if you want to be able to take HJKs and Flare Blitzes more easily, then you've got to sacrifice some of that speed.

Can there be a thread listing the bans and dates please, it'd be useful for newer players and people just getting back into the metagame, as I have no clue what it legal or not.

Can there be a thread listing the bans and dates please, it'd be useful for newer players and people just getting back into the metagame, as I have no clue what it legal or not.
You can always open teambuilder on showdown, click new team, pick the pokemon you want to find out whether it is banned or not and when you look for a match you'll get an annotation that says X pokemon has no moves. If it is banned it'll also say X pokemon is BL, which is banned.

Well the team builder isn't totally correct, ex Metagross is still listed as UU
The Council Tiering record/info thread has the ban history for the most part, though there hasn't been a post to announce the voting record from this week regarding the ORAS quickbans

I've been brainstorming ideas for a uu rain team using prankster tornadus, and kingdra, and could use help with the rest of the team and with optimal ev spreads

Sounds like you're gonna run rain offense. Offense needs one thing more than anything else: Stealth Rock. Find a good Rock setter that has decent type synergy with your other Pokemon or that benefits from rain. If you wanna get weird with it, you could try something like Nidoqueen or Nidoking who can use Thunder to help break down opposing bulky Water-types. Another member to consider is Starmie, who can also abuse Thunder, rain-boosted STAB Water attacks, and can spin to keep hazards off the field.

I'm completely new to this tier/metagame and quite frankly I'm lost as to what to do to find my way. Any specific threads/articles I need to look at?

I'm completely new to this tier/metagame and quite frankly I'm lost as to what to do to find my way. Any specific threads/articles I need to look at?
Here are some threads to get you started:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ing-thread-take-2.3523649/page-2#post-5905042
helps you see what you should and shouldn't use and what to consider when teambuilding

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-teambuilding.3509889/
Helps overall with what mon plays what role and what viable sets there are. Haven't been too many recent posts, but a good amount of mons are there.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-uu-battle-replay-thread.3517968/
Just to see how higher level players think and the decisions they make

If you browse through the UU sub forum there are probably some more helpful threads that I missed so I encourage you to look there too after you've read the ones I posted above.

Hidden Power Ice or Grass more viable on Raikou? Ice hit dragonz like Hax, Hydre, Mega Amphy, etf.. while Grass hits Swampy, Quags and Gastro. Im thi.king of either choice locked or subcm set..

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hidden Power Ice or Grass more viable on Raikou? Ice hit dragonz like Hax, Hydre, Mega Amphy, etf.. while Grass hits Swampy, Quags and Gastro. Im thi.king of either choice locked or subcm set..
I dont think one is more viable than the other, its just to hit what your team needs. If you can put enough pressure on the bulky water types mentioned, use HP Ice. If you cant, go with HP Grass. I know thats pretty vague, but thats really what it comes down to imo.

I honestly haven't been seeing too much of Swampert as of late and haven't seen Quag or Gastro at all so I would say that HP Ice is more viable right now to hit the dragons that you are practically guaranteed to see every other game if not every game. However it ultimately comes down to what your team needs so what is viable isn't always what is best.

What are some good Zygarde sets for UU? All the sets in the analysis are for OU and I don't know if they could transition to UU. Thanks in advance ;]

What are some good Zygarde sets for UU? All the sets in the analysis are for OU and I don't know if they could transition to UU. Thanks in advance ;]
The go-to set is the SubCoil set, which looks something like this:
Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
There is maximum investment in SpD because Coil boosts Zygarde's Defense anyway. EVs can be shifted from SpD into Speed to creep any particular threats that you want Zygarde to be able to get a Sub or setup on quickly. I'm not very familiar with speed tiers, so you'll have to ask someone else about how many EVs you'll need to outspeed whatever it is you want to beat. The idea of this set is to come in on something that you can force out, set up a sub and start setting up with Coil. Ideally, you'd bring Zygarde in mid- to late-game, when its checks and counters have been weakened or dispatched.

IMO, Raikou seems a bit too frail for a SubCM set, and it prefers the immediate power that choice sets provide, but I could just be playing it wrong.

I actually have a question of my own. Is running Psycho Cut instead of Zen Headbutt fine on Mega Gallade? It's only a 10 BP difference, and Psycho Cut does have an increased crit rate and accuracy. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Here are the two best sets:

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 140 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

SubCoil Zygarde is phenomenal against defensive teams. It can set up a ton of generally passive mons such as Blissey, Vaporeon, Alomomola, Gligar, Umbreon and more and can be really challenging to take down if you don't prepare for it. It's commonly paired with Toxic Spikes for much easier wearing-down of teams. The EVs let you outspeed everything up to Adamant Entei, and this includes useful things like Chandelure, Nidoking, and Lucario. Your Substitutes are able to take any unboosted defensive Scald in the tier without breaking.

Zygarde @ Lum Berry/Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed

LO DD is my favorite set. It can be a bit tricky to set up against offense and full sweeps are usually not likely, but it's excellent at punching holes through teams midgame with powerful +1 LO STAB Earthquakes. Extremespeed is pretty useful at picking off faster things without a boost, and also nice for killing some weakened Pokemon like Crobat when you don't want to lock yourself into Outrage. Healing Wish support with this Pokemon is fantastic.

There are also various relatively unexplored options (because they kind of pale in comparison to these two main sets) such as Glare and Pain Split.

Well, Saybleye got bumped up to OU. Thinking about M-Bannette. Knock Off or Pursuit? Other moves being WoW/Taunt/Destinybond.

M-Banette performs really poorly in general in UU, but if you insist on using it, Knock Off is standard. I still maintain that double status M-Banette is the only good set with T-Wave and WoW, but you should probably consider Sucker Punch to serve as a good check to ScarfRachi and co.

What do you guys think is a good set for Adaptability Dragalgae? I was thinking one of the following sets..

Drag@Choice Specs
Adaptability
248 HP/252 Sp Atk/ 8 Spd
Draco Meteor
Sludge Wave
Dragon Pulse
Shadow Ball/Focus Blast for steels liie Zong, Doublade, etc..

Drag@Black Sludge
248 Hp/ 252 Def/ 8 Sp Def
Adaptability
Relaxed Nature
Toxic Spikes
Sludge Wave
Dragon Tail
Scald

Drag@AssVest
Sassy Nature?
Adaptability
Draco Meteor
Gunk Shot
Scald
Dragon Tail

Im leaning more towards a mixed set so that it can demolish Blissey with Gunk Shot. Any thoughts?

Btw, 248 HP to reduce Hazard damage...

Edit:

0 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Dragalge Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 322-380 (45 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Just an idea of how a neutral natured uninvested LO Gunk Shot can easily 2HKO Blissey

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)