uu open mic - sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader

he has a lot to say
Hey y'all. Normally this type of post would be reserved for a suspect test, but we don't really feel like that's an appropriate move right now, so we wanna ask for the community's opinion on Garchomp. We're experimenting with this method over surveys since it allows people to give more thoughts than just ticking a box; please let us know how you feel about it!

A lot of players feel that the metagame is in a weird spot right now. There are a ton of threats around with stuff like Latios, Excadrill, Iron Moth, Greninja, Deoxys-S, Iron Crown and, of course, our beloved Garchomp to account for. We as council have been talking about how to best deal with this going forward, and it's pretty tough to narrow it down; we're kinda playing a game of whack-a-mole, where banning one threat makes another one pop up, and so we're considering this different approach.

:garchomp:
Garchomp is the best Pokemon in UU. There's no debate, really; it's hitting usage numbers that are essentially unheard of for a UU Pokemon, and no matter what it does it can do it well. It doesn't take a ton of effort to see why this is the case, either; Garchomp has a fantastic typing, incredible stats, a movepool that has just about everything it could ever want, and incredible flexibility in its item slot; all of this combines to let it do whatever you need it to do. If you need it to be a specially defensive tank, it can do that; if you need it to be a physically defensive wall, it can do that; if you need it to be an offensive wallbreaker and sweeper, it can do that too. It's so clear that it's the easiest Pokemon in the tier to fit, and Garchomp's presence gives an automatic important tool for role compression that's super valuable.

:mandibuzz: :skeledirge: :hippowdon: :rotom-wash: :slowking: :tinkaton:
With that said, Garchomp is not without negative influence. Offensive Garchomp is pretty lacking in defensive answers. There are some hard stops - most notably Mandibuzz and Terastalised Skeledirge - and then some softer checks like Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Slowking, and Air Balloon Tinkaton. It can feel like you're walking a tightrope when fighting it, since it's always one turn away from breaking down basically everything; this wouldn't be so bad if offensive counterplay was easier, but it's kinda... not.

:mienshao: :terrakion: :lokix: :scizor: :arcanine-hisui: :azumarill: :mamoswine: :ogerpon: :iron moth:
Scarfers help with Garchomp, but they're limited. Essentially its existence means you need a scarfer with 105+ base Speed, and frankly most of them suck. The only one that's consistently good is Mienshao - a fantastic Pokemon in its own right and a great way to deal with Chomper - but it kinda is the only one. So instead, teams usually look to priority; Lokix is popular in part thanks to its ability to mess with SD Garchomp, and other strong priority moves like Scizor's Bullet Punch, Hisuian Arcanine's Extreme Speed, Azumarill's Aqua Jet and Mamoswine's Ice Shard do help quite a bit in the fight against it. However, it has been argued that these Pokemon aren't quite enough; while this is a contentious view, given these are all good Pokemon outside of helping with Garchomp, it's still something worth nothing. I'll also just note Ogerpon here because I didn't really know where else to put it, it's kinda like a scarfer but not really and it does help with Garchomp if you're willing to commit Tera. Same for Booster Energy Iron Moth.

:excadrill: :mandibuzz:
There's also a lot to be said about the negative impact of Hazards Garchomp on the tier. It's pretty hard to reliably remove on Garchomp - Air Balloon Excadrill and Mandibuzz can handle it, although the former is shaky - and its great bulk and typing gives it a lot of chances to get em up. Our general lack of good removal options has led to a huge increase of Heavy-Duty Boots users, which isn't necessarily unhealthy on its own, but it is restrictive in the builder in a way some deem to be too much.

:zapdos: :iron crown: :iron moth:
With all this said, we know Garchomp is not the most discussed Pokemon, and it has a ton of positive traits in the tier. It's one of the few ways to check Zapdos and it provides a great temporary stop to just about everything if you want it to, notably stuff like Iron Crown and Iron Moth lacking Dazzling Gleam/Tera. This leads to easier dynamic teambuilding and helps with creating cores that can cover a swathe of metagame threats, bringing stability to the tier somewhat.

We just wanna know if y'all think the positives outweigh the negatives. Please give all the thoughts you can. Thanks a ton!

Garchomp IMO is good but not unhealthy
SD Chomp is pretty scary, but the defense drop makes it easy to revenge kill. While you need your scarfer to be 105, a lot of the popular scarfers meet that margin. on top of that, That Ice weakness is a giant target on its back, with multiple mons taking advantage of this. Overall, a threat like this is manageable while still being good on its one
Tankchomp is a bit more annoying, but honestly manageable. Mandibuzz has a good match up into it, and that ice weakness matters even more since it is specifically a bulky pokemon. It also provides a lot too, like being a grate phaser
Chomps enormous success last was because not only are these two sets good, but it was also easily the best ground type. its flexibility and viability on most team styles made it an easy pick on most teams, and losing treads meant there was not only almost no good spinners, but the tier needed a new leading ground type, which garchomp quickly stepped up to fill. Excadrill being in the tier now means that garchomp isn't a almost nessesary pick on teams.
Overall Garchomp is great mon but a manageable one who does add positive traits to the tier. also this a pretty cool way to get feedback on the tier

ThatOneApple

A Bit Fruity
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Personally, I think garchomp is mostly fine in the tier, but wouldn't be opposed to a suspect i suppose.

I feel as though this discussion of is being broken is largely sparked by the SD 3 attacks set, which drops the usual hazard for stone edge for coverage. While this set is definitely scary, as it isnt walled by the balloon fairies that usually wall SD chomp, i kinda think thats where the scary parts of it that are different than standard SD STABs Hazard kinda end.

My reasoning for this is that a balloon fairy really shouldnt be your ONLY stopgap for chomp, as that was always asking for trouble should say balloon tink need to be sent into smth like lokix. Usually youd pair tink with a scarf fighter or a strong prio user to have speed control vs mons tink cant paralyze, or mandibuzz (who btw can survive +2 edge) to remove hazards.

Speaking of mandibuzz, idk why some people call this thing bad. Is it flawed? Absolutely, its slower pace tends to mean its weird to fit, but i dont think this is a reason to call it bad outside of fighting chomp. Foul play is nice for mons like excadrill and scizor, while toxic is a pain to switch into for some teams considering tink is the only steel you usually see that doesnt hate eating foul play.

Chomp has also always felt like a nice splashable tool for any team with both its dragon tail sets and bulkier SD edgequake sets. The SD edgequake set has felt nice for being a ground that can actually pressure zapdos should it get in on a volt/heat wave, and while the hazard vomit of its dual hazard set offers a way of getting good progress on HO, and while this progress does seem a bit overbearing on paper to other styles, in practice it hates both bootspam and mandibuzz

These positives were initially why i personally was super opposed to any action on chomp. But after putting some thought into it, i can kinda understand why some people think its a bit overbearing, even if i still disagree, as our options can feel a tad bit limited. Im just unsure if chomp is the main culprit for why things feel so shaky, but discussing other potential culprits isnt what this thread is for so ill just leave it at that. Id probably vote DNB should a suspect happen unless something crazy happens, but im interested in hearing others' opinions.

1709852273551.png

Garchomp is pretty insane and flexible in the tier.... well tank chomp, scarf chomp, and SD chomp are all possible sets with SD and tank chomp being vibale with things like scarf, mixed, sash lead being less ideal .

Garchomp with tank sets can generally just get away with shitting out hazards and applying a crap ton of chip dmg esp with dragon tail being very hard to take advantage of (esp without tera). Garchomp with SD is very very hard to take advantage tho.. tera sets are generally hard to predict. Tera fire for wisp, tera fairy for draco latios, and tera steel for latios, CB scizor, mamoswine ice shard, etc.

I feel the tier lacks checks to garchomp and esp when ur playing a guessing game with tera... losing ur latios because u tried to revenge kill and are faced with tera fairy as you tried to draco or losing the game because they knew you are to scared to face the tera and lose the mamoswine. Even with a boots lokix ur open to not killing because ur boots and u dont even kill at -1

So what if it brings positives... we say the same things about smth like moltres-g in SS .. but its gone and it was broken.. we will live without it lol

Not wanting to ban a Pokemon because it brings positive attributes to a tier is not a good reason to not ban something. If we have to ban something else after banning Garchomp, it's okay. You're allowed to have a UUBL with more than 5 Pokemon.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
The two posts above mine share a common take that is often misguided so I'd like to briefly address it. Pokemon don't exist in vacuums. Something bringing lots of positives while also bringing lots of negatives is a very important part of shaping metagames and is why they're interesting to talk about to begin with. See GSC Lax which is obviously way more threatening than everything else in the game by a landslide or ADV TTar which dictates what's viable and what isn't just through existing. Nobody who's ever played those tiers would suggest banning those mons and similarly it can apply here if Garchomp's negatives are insignificant enough relative to its positives. We don't particularly need a tiering guideline lecture here, this thread's focus is solely on the metagame.

I think there's several pokemon more problematic than Garchomp atm. While it's true its defensive counterplay is quite limited, it has a lot of offensive counterplay and forcing it to use its tera to circumvent this just gives you a better position for the rest of the game now that your opp has used up their tera. I think having Ice Shard from Mamo be the only real Ice mention in the OP is a bit weird also - Icy Wind Torn for one has seen increased usage and heavily chunks even the most defensive Garchomp, not to mention stuff like Deoxys-Speed that can just run Ice Beam, and Sandy Shocks frequently using Tera Ice Blast. Defensively, it's not THAT hard to keep it from getting out of control - if you let it boost its Speed to circumvent its Offensive checks then you probably played it wrong. It's obviously a very good pokemon - one of the best even and arguably the best in the tier - but it doesn't scream broken like other things that have been banned. It seems manageable at the very least for now, and I'd even say Greninja (who also is not banworthy imo) is more troublesome most of the time. I think the fact that we used to have Ice Spinner Treads as a great form of removal that also somewhat threatened Chomp spoiled us - Excadrill can't do that sure but SV is a hazards meta all around, banning Chomp is definitely not changing that.

All that being said a suspect is prob fine if the people want it gone but I don't really think that's going to be the sentiment.

The two posts above mine share a common take that is often misguided so I'd like to briefly address it. Pokemon don't exist in vacuums. Something bringing lots of positives while also bringing lots of negatives is a very important part of shaping metagames and is why they're interesting to talk about to begin with.

See GSC Lax which is obviously way more threatening than everything else in the game by a landslide or ADV TTar which dictates what's viable and what isn't just through existing.

Nobody who's ever played those tiers would suggest banning those mons and similarly it can apply here if Garchomp's negatives are insignificant enough relative to its positives. We don't particularly need a tiering guideline lecture here, this thread's focus is solely on the metagame.
- GSC lax would prob be banned today... i heard about it and people say "well zapdos and raikou then" well if the decision was today then they will go forward with it. People didnt question "pult will be broken if kingambit will be banned in nat dex!" but more so went forward knowing that if it comes to that then they will make this decision... GSC is what... old, so is adv... will ttar be banned? idk the council decided that banning ttar is prob to much of a shakeup and will just leave the meta as is..

same with SM UU, at the time i felt people talk about how one of the reasons people didnt want to ban scizor cuz it was the best mega alt check or so i hear from others... its way to old for me and i was way to new and inexperienced back then, idk how my memory holds up.

- The thing is this is a new gen where banning and suspecting is much easier with a much lower standard. I believe garchomp is broken, so what if tank chomp or chomp in general provides good answers to zapdos, crown, and moth. We didnt talk this way when moltres-g was up on the table in SS UU.. what changes now?

so what if garchomp is the best zapdos answer.... does it justify if the SD set is bonkers in the tier and should it get booted out. I believe its broken, many answers hinge on what tera it will be, what is its 4th? is it sub? maybe stone edge? maybe some wack person wanted fire fang to kill tera rotom-w and tinkaton at +2, what about jsut hazards to keep up the pressure... Garchomp can do it all, i think it should go, you are often playing a game within a game to find out the tera... sure you can bait it out, but they can bait you, this isnt a one sided game and your opponent isnt someone who is just gonna take it, they are gonna get in your head to

I think there's several pokemon more problematic than Garchomp atm. While it's true its defensive counterplay is quite limited, it has a lot of offensive counterplay and forcing it to use its tera to circumvent this just gives you a better position for the rest of the game now that your opp has used up their tera.
And I think if you dent enough of a hole int heir team the tera is well worth burnt.... and it depends as well. Mamoswine dropped? well maybe now your team doesnt have to worry about the coverage and powerful moves that mamo is gonna throw around.

The worth of tera isnt that easy to figure out.. an early tera can well be worth it depending on what the team needs to be done... Tera blast ice shocks killing chomp may well be worth it if you can justify it.... otherwise right back at you. You used tera on shocks, i now know you are out of a tera and I can go ham with other mons if that is the case. Not that easy

I think having Ice Shard from Mamo be the only real Ice mention in the OP is a bit weird also - Icy Wind Torn for one has seen increased usage and heavily chunks even the most defensive Garchomp, not to mention stuff like Deoxys-Speed that can just run Ice Beam, and Sandy Shocks frequently using Tera Ice Blast.
"forcing it to use its tera to circumvent this just gives you a better position for the rest of the game now that your opp has used up their tera."

hmm idk lol.PNG

Defensively, it's not THAT hard to keep it from getting out of control - if you let it boost its Speed to circumvent its Offensive checks then you probably played it wrong. It's obviously a very good pokemon - one of the best even and arguably the best in the tier - but it doesn't scream broken like other things that have been banned. It seems manageable at the very least for now, and I'd even say Greninja (who also is not banworthy imo) is more troublesome most of the time. I think the fact that we used to have Ice Spinner Treads as a great form of removal that also somewhat threatened Chomp spoiled us - Excadrill can't do that sure but SV is a hazards meta all around, banning Chomp is definitely not changing that.

All that being said a suspect is prob fine if the people want it gone but I don't really think that's going to be the sentiment.
Sure... everything on paper can be easy to stop. If it gets a good scale shot and good hits then it will be a pain in the ass to deal with. Lokix doesnt even kill from full at -1... you need like 20% chip on it which may matter late game and CB scizor doesnt even kill it at -1.. ofc the chip is achievable... but you are sometimes asking for a lot, esp with tera in the back pocket of your team. You may just tera and then oops losing scizor is such a bummer...

For ex. scarf latios may want to draco or luster purge but if the opponent gets into their head.. they may just try to bait it to preserve their latios insetad of trading it for a tera.

Last edited:

Petros

Always Jacked
Lovely way to get feedback on the tier, yes! I only started playing UU about a week ago, but I felt like giving my thoughts nonetheless. I basically found myself nodding in agreement with the things cactus, lily, apple and mantis said. SD Chomp feels incredibly good in the tier, but not unhealthy. Most teams come prepared for it with stuff like deo s outspeeding at +1, fast scarfers, strong priority users and/or soft defensive checks. I don't think I've lost a single game just because there was a garchomp on the other side. Hazards chomp feels less threatening, I really don't think that one needs to be talked about here. After the last drops having happened so recently, I feel like what needs to be done now is just give some more time for the meta to develop, before deciding if anything's in need of suspecting. If a suspect were to happen now, I'd probably vote DNB.

The two posts above mine share a common take that is often misguided so I'd like to briefly address it. Pokemon don't exist in vacuums. Something bringing lots of positives while also bringing lots of negatives is a very important part of shaping metagames and is why they're interesting to talk about to begin with. See GSC Lax which is obviously way more threatening than everything else in the game by a landslide or ADV TTar which dictates what's viable and what isn't just through existing. Nobody who's ever played those tiers would suggest banning those mons and similarly it can apply here if Garchomp's negatives are insignificant enough relative to its positives. We don't particularly need a tiering guideline lecture here, this thread's focus is solely on the metagame.
Sorry, but this is incorrect. Historically, we ban things that are broken and ignore the positives it brings. If a ban makes something else broken, we ban the new broken thing. If a ban makes the metagame worse, then there are probably further fundamental issues with the metagame. For example, SV OU banned Archaludon and now Ogerpon-W is looking potentially broken. Nobody seriously entertained the idea of keeping Archaludon around to keep Ogerpon in check.

GSC Snorlax and ADV Tyranitar did not get banned because the tiering philosophy before Garchomp's DPP ban (look how times have changed) was extremely different than it is today. We didn't ban non-legendaries unless they had Shadow Tag. Snorlax and Tyranitar bans were never seriously considered because we just didn't do that. Both of those Pokemon would be at least suspected if they were a modern metagame. There are not any cries to ban them because GSC and ADV are not modern metagames and banning them would seriously undermine the character of those 20 year-old metagames, not because their "negatives are insignificant enough relative to its positives." None of this applies to SV UU, so this shouldn't apply to Garchomp.

I understand this isn't the point of this thread is to discuss Garchomp, so this will be my final post on this, but I do think it's important that we all understand this, and judge Garchomp's place in the metagame based on if it is overwhelming or uncompetitive, not if it's "negatives are insignificant enough relative to its positives."

In case it wasn't clear I think Garchomp is an overwhelming sweeper and a little too good at setting up hazards and I would ban it, but I'm a midladder casual.

EDIT: I said I wouldn't make another post, but I do want to respond to the post below, quickly.
- The arguments for Kingambit were not made by tiering leadership as arguments against a suspect, they were made by voters. That's a distinct difference that is not being applied here.
- Slipper slope / domino familicy is a logical fallacy. If it causes more bans we will ban those, but there will always be an agreed-upon stopping point just like in every other metagame, or we run out of time. More bans do not mean that our end metagame is worse.
- If we do not have a lot of time, tier leadership should take proactive steps early on to quickly address the issues. We all know that we don't have a lot of time and we should plan accordingly, it doesn't mean we take the first halfway-decent metagame we come across.
- I'm sorry you didn't like SS PU. The number of bans has no effect on the metagame quality. Those two aren't correlated, or OU would be a shitshow every generation with its 50 or so bans.
-Also, just want to point out that usually when the "cure may end up being more harmful than the illness it's meant to treat." Is not a good blanket argument against medicine, and can often result in death. If our cure doesn't work, we can just undo the cure or try something else. Again if time is an issue, lets move quickly.

Last edited:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Historically, we ban things that are broken and ignore the positives it brings.
This was a tiering dogma for a long time but I frankly do not believe it has worked like this in practice for a long time. One could argue that in today's OU, Kingambit probably would've been banned if "is it broken in a vacuum?" was the only criterion, but as Lily explained, "broken in a vacuum" is kind of a bullshit idea. Metagames are complex organisms and the removal of one threat can have greater ramifications on the meta as a whole. Sure, if this causes other mons to become broken, you can try to ban those, but this doesn't necessarily get you out of the woods. People may disagree with each other about the brokenness of various threats in this new metagame, for example, and this could lead to an impasse where people agree the meta is in an undesirable state without there being clear agreement on the way forward. It could also be that the ban of a certain Pokemon fundamentally destabilizes things to an extent that it would create a domino effect of bans ("if we no longer have X then A B and C become broken, if we ban A B and C then Y and Z become overbearing", etc). It has been argued that this would be the case with Kingambit in OU, for example, since there isn't much in the tier that can serve as such an effective stopgap to the many dangerous offensive threats in the tier (without being passive, that is).

Let's also not overestimate how much time we have when tiering CG metagames. CG metas tend to last for about 3 years before the next gen is released, which is the period during which you can freely hold public suspect tests and (un)ban whatever you please. 3 years is plenty of time if the metagame were served up to us in a more or less finished state within the first year, but thanks to the advent of Pokemon Home and DLCs, this is not the case. In practice this means that for one half of a generation you have to tier metagames that will be completely upended within a few months and you have the other half to tier a relatively stable meta. Add to this the fact that people are hesitant to cause great shakes in the last several months of a metagame and you have maybe a little over a year to work with. This isn't a whole lot of time, and if you get stuck in a cycle where things continuously have to be banned because prior bans have caused other mons to become problematic, you may end up with a ridiculously long banlist and a tier that isn't even very good. Having experienced being on the PU tiering council last gen, I found that we were constantly in a situation where more bans had to happen until the meta was eventually deprived of most things that held the meta together, leading to a meta that (at least imo) was really boring and mid, full of very similar fat balance structures (that weren't even amazingly good) and cheese. I tried to get a bunch of unbans going to shake up how the meta functioned, but by that time it was very late into the gen and people weren't convinced enough to make the attempt. So instead we ended up with a BL list of a whopping 19 mons and a meta that wasn't even necessarily better than what it was like 5 bans ago. If this is not the kind of meta you wanna end up with once gen 10 rolls around, you sometimes have to accept the lesser evil of having a few very strong, very centralizing mons in the meta, because the cure may end up being more harmful than the illness it's meant to treat.

Obviously the fact that a Pokemon is considered a fundamental glue in a tier does not mean that it can't be banned. If a Pokemon is sufficiently broken and/or its broken traits outweigh any positive qualities it may bring to the meta, a ban should be on the table. Hence why we're having this conversation about Garchomp. But it would be ridiculous to state that Chomp's positive aspects don't shape how we regard tiering action on it; if all it did was "SD -> Scale Shot -> win" without having any noteworthy qualities wrt team synergy or whatever, it'd probably have come to a suspect test sooner. This is simply how tiering works if you try to regard metagames as an organic whole rather than trying to think in fantastical terms where mons can be "broken in a vacuum".

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So anyway I don't think Garchomp is broken. It's good to keep monitoring it because I think it is often close to overbearing, but I do think we have the tools to handle it and moreover I don't think we are unnecessarily restricted in the builder to check it. A lot of the strong priority users that can keep SD Chomp at bay would be popular either way, as we're already in a situation where the meta contains several speed demons that can easily get out of hand if you don't have some powerful priority in the back (i.e. Iron Moth, Deoxys-S, Iron Crown, Greninja). SD Chomp can also be limited in its effectiveness if you play around it proactively. If you predict an incoming EQ, swapping into a faster immunity like Torn-T or Latios lets you threaten the Chomp out or force the tera, and if they SD you still get to dish out damage to put Chomp in revenge killing range at least. A Fairy type, even without an Air Balloon, can swap directly into a Scale Shot and force it out or at least deny Chomp the speed boost. Of course, using your own tera to turn the tables on Chomp is also an option. As long as you built your team to have some sort of emergency check, Chomp will rarely just steamroll your team if you don't get your predictions right. Furthermore, it's not like Chomp gets infinite switchins, because despite its great natural bulk and useful defensive typing, there isn't a whole lot in the meta that can't significantly chunk or otherwise cripple it. I'd write more but admittedly I spent too much time on the above section so I'm bored. I think a suspect test can be justified given the sheer strength of Chomp in the meta but I doubt that I would vote ban if that were to happen.

As the biggest garchomp hater, garchomp's effect on the hazard metagame was quite overbearing (both variants)

Tankchomp:
It's nearly impossible to stop tankchomp from getting up rocks and 1 layer of spikes due to chomp's ability to be either physically or specially defensive. Even ice moves are unable ohko garchomp unless the user is choiced or the garchomp didn't invest on the corresponding side (252+ Atk Okidogi Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 268-316 (63.8 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) and even then the garchomp can just switch out or terrastallize. Atempts to rapid spin against a team with tankchomp will also cost the spinner 29.166...% of their health due rocky helmet and rough skin which makes keeping hazards off long term near impossible.

Offensive:
The less broken of the 2 variants. Although it rarely sweeps due to scale shot making you weak to priority, it is still quite good due to you needing to sacrifice and bring in a pokemon to revenge kill it. Defensively trying to take it on will often result in you getting obliterated by the right coverage move (+2 252 Atk Tera Steel Garchomp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar: 332-392 (99.4 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO) or atleast getting damaged beyond repair with scale shot (+2 252 Atk Garchomp Scale Shot (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 290-345 (68.5 - 81.5%) -- approx. 2HKO). It can sometimes even stop excadrill from spinning with scale shot and rough skin damage (+2 252 Atk Garchomp Scale Shot (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 310-365 (85.8 - 101.1%) -- approx. 81.3% chance to OHKO if you factor in rough skin). All these pokemon are the best hazard removers of the tier and offensive garchomp waste their health or outright kill them when they try to take it on making removing hazards even more difficult

Effect on the metagame:
Garchomp often forces pokemon who are already pressed for move slots to spend them on weak ice coverage moves (Icy wind tornadus, Ice punch okidogi). It also reduces item creativity and encourages boots stacking. I have nothing but pure hate for this stupid spike vomiting shark

passion

heavenly :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
personal opinions on the topic (havent had a chance to read through other posts, but hopefully some doubts in the thread are addressed anyway). more often than not when a pokemon like chomp is presented, there is a lot of fear that comes with it. this is far and away the best and most splashable mon in the tier, after all. however, i find its presence to be unbefitting for the hope of an eventually healthy tier. i as well as many other players of the tier have felt it to be super constricting and way too inconsistent in builder. in the first week of uupl i found it to be pretty clear that a hefty chunk of the sv games were decided on preview, for example. im sure this opinion my deviate based on things like skill level and where you spend most of your time playing (ladder vs tour) but this is an opinion ive been hearing echoed since the first dlc drops. with that in mind i think its time we take drastic action. looking at the pros and cons chomp brings to the tier i just cant see it being a healthy presence long term with the idea being that we want to decrease the overall power level of this tier. yes, there is a possibility that chomp will open a floodgate for certain pokemon to potentially become even more powerful (thinking of zapdos) but i feel like it also opens a window of opportunity for our ground types that are shown lesser love such as gastrodon, sandy shocks, mamoswine, etc. this fear is also ignoring the fact that the council has perpetually been looking for mons to suspect test since the first post dlc drops and will likely continue to do so for awhile going forward. if something becomes very obviously broken in response to a chomp ban it is very likely that action will be taken to circumvent that.

with all of that being said, this post isnt just about cringe loser garbage "future implications" who gaf about that nerd shit chomp is broken even now. i think the lesser of the 2 evils when it comes to garchomp sets is definitely the double hazard stack bulky sets, which are definitely exploitable. however, these sets are still incredibly strong considering that most of our available hazard removal does not fight garchomp well or is just bad. the exclusion to those two things being mandibuzz who is ok i guess. like it gets toxic which is pretty rare nowadays but still it isnt nearly splash on every team good and if it was it would be in response to garchomp stack being obscene. this set also comes with it weaknesses in allowing mons like enam-t in for completely free or some of the neat meta developments such as balloon tinkaton/azumarill. if this set was all we had to think about id find the mon annoying but wouldnt be writing a 9000 word essay about it the true problem here in my opinion is sd chomp. this set is similarily held back by mandibuzz.. unless u take like 30% health, in which case u just die instantly. this pokemon absolutely has the potential to play/tera through all of its supposed counters and checks and we've seen it happen numerous times. as i said it is rly quite easy to get mandibuzz low and pretty much all priority you can think of is tanked by chomp even at -1 def (cb tera water azu doing like 74, ada tera bug lokix doing like 85). most of the best chomp counterplay involves popping tera and this is reflected in the way that 90% of pokemon in this tier run tera fairy or tera steel or stab tera if they have priority moves (this trend is a bit deeper than just a chomp problem though). this also includes ogerpon who can get the speed boost to ivy cudgel through chomp at -1 ...unless chomp teras bc chomp often runs tera steel too. this is my theory atp but speaking of teras assuming people are back to running tera fairy dirge to check the broken i could see things evolving in a very similar way to iron hands running tera fire to simply beat it (i have a replay of this working already trust me plz plz plz but the team is just hidden for rn :DD). anyway, these are the main issues i have revolving chomp i hope this post addressed some potential concerns with action taken against it and hopefully changes some minds. this tier obviously had loads of potential to be fun and i would really love to do anything in our power to reach that potential.
edit: btw im ok with giving this a few weeks to see if any of the drops have made drastic differences forgot to address this in my post :)) definitely think this should be our next action if we need to take action though !

Last edited:
Garchomp's role compression isn't exclusively a garchomp thing either. Other mons can take it's roles and not be overbearing since they're weaker
Def chomp --> Hippowdon
Spdef chomp --> Rhyperior
Scarf chomp --> Salamence
It's just stealing other pokemons jobs and doing it better due to having more stats

ThatOneApple

A Bit Fruity
Wasnt really gonna say much else on this but i feel the need to address this

It's just stealing other pokemons jobs and doing it better due to having more stats
Outclassing other mons doesnt make any one mon broken, it just makes it so that there is less of a reason to use the outclassed mon. Also chomp filling multiple roles at once can be very nice in the teambuilder. Im willing to believe there are good reasons to support action against chomp, but this is not one of them.

Also, like...
Def chomp --> Hippowdon
Hippo is passive as balls so it likely wouldnt surge in viability even without chomp here. It just functions at a pace that really doesnt fit the current meta too well, even if the fact that it has recovery is cool.

Spdef chomp --> Rhyperior
Rhyperior as a sp def mon is inherently flawed bc it really doesnt work too well against much other than zap. Its a cool bulky offensive option, but does not function as a spdef ground in nearly the same way chomp does

Scarf chomp --> Salamence
Scarf chomp already isnt a particularly common set but scarf mence just sounds like ass, especially considering the rocks weakness.

Not saying that we should ban garchomp because it outclasses other mons just syaing that even if we ban it, other mons can fill its previous roles.
Garchomp also invalidates weaker pokemon since they will often take more than they deal when attacking

Last edited:
I feel that there is more problematic mons but for right now chomp feels fine. Definitely think it could be overbearing down the line though. But it definitely makes hazard stacking a bit too strong as Tankchomp bolsters hazards hugely, and offensive chomp is stupid good. Definitely feels like something to suspect down the line though if it gets stronger with bans

We need to focus on Deoxys-Speed and Latios at the moment as those two feel like the most pressing issues in the tier, especially Deoxys Speed who is impossible to deal with defensively

Last edited:
I'm baffled some people tend to normalize dogshit Air Balloon Fairy-type Pokémon as an answer for Garchomp. Since when running a suboptimal item on a Pokémon just to be able to handle another is something ok ? Wasn't a big part of the Garganacl complaint the fact it was forcing teams to run Covert Cloak on Pokémon ? Well it's even worst there. Air Balloon Tinkaton or Air Balloon Azumarill are a pure joke and only exist because Garchomp is in the tier and wrap around itself the whole tier. Garchomp is beyond splashable and insanely potent even when its played defensively. Most of the time, you need to keep a healthy Mandibuzz (and when I say healthy, I'm talking about almost 100% of its HPs) to keep it in check or your lackluster Air Ballon Fairy which forces it to not take a single hit from anything if it wants to fullfil its job as a SD Garchomp counter (which isn't even the truth to be honest since Iron Head / Stone Edge variants of Garchomp with SD + 3 attacks over SD + Rocks/Spikes + Double STAB just messes them up). Offensive Garchomp lacks answers, its answers are not great except Mandibuzz which is quite splashable (otherwise Weezing-G, Bronzong or Air Balloon Fairy-type Pokémon are quite volative or suboptimal af). Even priorities are far from perfect to revenge kill a -1 def Garchomp thanks to its sheer bulk. Tankchomp on the other hand is a pain because it enables with ease stack hazards in a tier with limited counterplay to them (not a lot of good Defog/Spin users, many Pokémon which can Knock Off effectively the HDB spam teams). Is Garchomp the worst Pokémon in the tier right now ? I'm not sure. Is it an issue overall ? Hell yeah, I wish we could nuke that thing out of Underused and focus on other issues asap. Latios or Deoxys-S being gone doesn't change anything about how good Garchomp is (would be probably even worst LMAO but theorymon right there so it's not a real argument).

Last edited:

Tree69420

早上好中国、现在我有bing chilling!
is a Tiering Contributor
IMO the offensive sets for chomp are very handleable by both offensive and defensive checks, and you can always run a shitmon such as zong or gweez to counter it.

The biggest issue with chomp in the tier is how it vomits out hazards, as it is very difficult to stop it from at least getting up both rocks and a layer of spikes. The 3 ways to deal with this are Defog (Mandibuzz), Spin (Exca, or maybe like Quaq ig?), and boots spam.
Exca as counterplay is not very good as Garchomp can easily switch in and rack up damage, kill Exca with EQ, or throw out even more hazards, and helmet/rough skin spin death doesn't even clear the rocks. Boots spam is fine but limiting in items and extremely knock weak, due to a lack of knock absorbers and the amount of Knockers/spikes abusers, especially on the same mon. Mandi is defo the best good answer to chomp atm but is a bit awk to fit on more offensive teams, is a momentum sink, and really wants to use other moves instead of defog (knock is good, uturn makes it not a momentum sink, iron defense is more solid into SD threats.
The secret 4th option is just ignoring the hazards, but this is even worse, Dual hazards means 25% upon switchin to most mons, with even ground resists taking 18%. Even very fast paced offensive teams hate this amount of starting chip.

The defensive utility of tank sets are obviously good and it helps deter degenerate voltturn spam, but I kinda think it isnt that positive of a mon in the tier.

I don't understand why the tankchomp ban has been called for since the days of the steel plate in the first place, and why tanks, which are clearly superior to those of the time, are not the main topic of discussion. It's true that pokemon doesn't exist in a vacuum, but that's exactly why chomp is unhealthy as it is, it strongly threatens any team without mandibuzz with hazard, and I don't see any question of using balloon fairy (which I don't use) as a covert cloak. I don't understand why you think of garchomp as a special case.

Last edited:

Corperate n

my bowels turned watery
is a Tiering Contributor
I have been a in favor of a garchomp ban for a now. Historically I'm not very good at posts like this and end up writing nonsense so sorry if this sucks.

I'm going to talk about the SD set mostly, since I think that's the one that makes it broken, though obviously the bulky hazards set is super good. Like the OP says, there are very few defensive answers at all, and many have to tera to be effective. I think the strain on building as a result is far too much. Teams that can't fit mandibuzz have no good options. They either have to run a mon that sucks like g weeze, decide theyre going to tera their rotom or w/e every time, or run a balloon fairy and hope they don't need it for anything else over the course of the game (balloon tinka kinda loses either way, can just force it out once). In short you have very few options and theyre all problematic so you have to use multiple in most cases, which severly limits building. I dont think its a problem to need multiple checks to a good pokemon on every team, its only a problem because of how few there are.

What about offensive counterplay? Usually, thats how mons with limited defensive answers are kept in check, but this is also super hard and problematic with chomp, because it is both fast and bulky. Even before a scale shot boost, there are very few mons that can actually outspeed and ohko it, with some of the best examples being gren, mienshao and latios, and now deo speed. However, all of these mons can be ohkod except maybe deoxys, so you cant even bring them in a single time during a game unless you make a very ballsy pivot, since you instantly lose one of your very few pieces of counterplay. Also, chomp can boost its speed by clicking its stab attack, which means in reality, offensive answers need to outrun +1 chomp . WRT the priority mentioned, many of the mons, like sciz or harc, need quite substancial chip before chomp is in range, and it is NOT easy to get it there.

I'm not sure I made myself clear, but hopefully my main reasonings come across. To me, garchomp is stifling.

While I am personally undecided on Chomp itself there is something that sticks out to me. That is Baloon Fairies. I find it to be somewhat similar to the whole Covert Cloak debacle when Garg was in the tier.

Firstly yes, Baloon is nowhere near as specific as Covert Cloak, dodging Spikes damage and all that jazz. However I find it hard to believe :azumarill: would ever run Baloon if Chomp was not in the tier. Before this months shifts :garchomp: was the only mon against which Baloon was relevant. That itself is very reminscent how Covert Cloak was run on Sinis just for Garganacl. Against other mons you would like Azu to check Baloon performs pretty significantly worse than other items bunny typically likes to run.

Now :tinkaton:, for whom Baloon is much less specific as it actually has a ground weakness. It also has a cool interaction thanks to Pickpocket allowing it to come in and steal the item. However, while I believe Baloon is less specific on it than Azumarill, I do think it falls into similar pitfalls. What other Mons is Baloon good against really? Excadrill just pops it easily and you do nothing to it to begin with. You can switch on Terraq EQ i guess...The reality is that Tinkaton lacks recovery and sometimes longevity so it would much rather run either Leftovers or Boots in Chompless games. Both items help it tremendously to check other threats you would like it to check like Latios.

When :garganacle: was still around people complained a lot how shaky its defensive checks are. How you need to be very careful with them when they come out to not get Knocked Off and lose your :covert_cloak:. Baloon forces you to be even more careful because you lose it on any damage taken, not just Knock. To me this is a very similar situation in which specific Pokemon are forced to run certain specific item to be a check to one mon.

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
UUPL Champion
I'd like to clear some things up concerning Balloon Fairy-types as I'd say I've helped popularize them. They are not solely for walling Garchomp and if one is to try to deal with Chomp, there are much better options available. One of the big advantages of Balloon is the Spikes immunity serving as hazard-resilience. The main reason I started using Balloon Tinkaton was not because I wanted to wall Chomp, but in order to run it without having to run Treads for removal, thus stacking weaknesses. I also think the general popularity of Balloon sets are overblown (or at least people are using them more than they should be).

:tinkaton: As I said earlier, part of the reason I started using this set was for the partial Spikes immunity for no removal teams. This is not a Chomp answer and if you are using it as such, stop. Not only does it fold to any set running coverage which most should be using at this point, it does nothing to prevent Garchomp from just stacking Spikes and switching out. What Air Balloon does do is allow Tinkaton to be used more comfortably without hazard removal, but its main role is to be paired with Pickpocket to enable wincons. The best use of Balloon Tinkaton is to steal Boots from Lokix or Tornadus-T or a Scarf from Mienshao to allow mons like Calm Mind Latios to be much more effective in their attempt to eventually sweep. I can't emphasize enough how terrible it is as a Chomp check and if you see me running Balloon on this, that's not the goal there.

:azumarill: Balloon Azumarill is more openly used as a way to check Chomp, but I think there are a few aspects here that make it less of an option people "rely" on and more as an HO specific tech that allows you to ease some matchups. HO as a playstyle can't fit solid resists to everything and, as such, can leave itself open to certain offensive threats. One of the reasons Azu has been one of the best choices on HO lately is because of how much it covers while still being a good offensive threat. It gives you room to play around fast wallbreakers like Greninja, Keldeo and Latios that can prevent proper positioning and Balloon is essentially just an extension of that, giving the team a straight up Ground-immunity that also has a pretty great matchup into our Ground-Types. The Spikes immunity here also helps. Again, people may be pushing their luck trying to justify it as a Chomp answer when it's at most a check and I would generally recommend items like Boots, AV or CB on styles like BO as well as Sitrus on offenses that can handle Ground-Type attackers, but considering it to be anything besides a tech option (an especially effective one considering Garchomp and Excadrill's usage) does not sit right with me.

I've also seen a good amount of people complaining about Garchomp's effect on the hazard game. I just want to make it clear that the main concerns council raised were concerning the Swords Dance set which has little consistent counterplay, especially defensively, so hazard sets are not the main thing on our radar. There are also a few takes that I've seen and that I'd like to address real quick concerning how Chomp affect the hazard game.

- Garchomp forces you to spam Heavy-Duty Boots. :heavy-duty boots:

Heavy-Duty Boots in this generation have been everywhere and Chomp is not the main reason for that. Notably, even without it around, most previous UU metas often needed 3-4 Boots mons per team, sometimes more. The main reason for that is that hazard setters don't need to be especially efficient to make hazard-weak mons suffer when facing them. Sure, running a mon like Ogerpon without Boots sounds nice, but the moment your opponent gets Rocks+1 Spike up, you are getting worn down incredibly quickly regardless. Garchomp makes Spikes more common, but consistent teams will still keep prioritizing consistency against a variety of matchups including hazard-stack. Even if setters like Sandy Shocks, Greninja and Ogerpon are less common than Chomp, the moment they show up, you're in serious trouble if you don't account for them.

However, even considering the previous point I raised, I would say building with 0-2 Boots users is pretty realistic currently. Going back to Air Balloon, the double-purpose of this item is actually quite useful in the case where you're looking for hazard-resilient mons, but still want a useful item. Tinkaton as previously stated appreciates this, but you have other Rock-resistant options that take little damage from hazards with a Balloon, most common of which being Excadrill. There are also a decent amount of rather good mons that don't really care about hazards. Latios is pretty obvious being Spikes-immune and Rock-neutral, but Mienshao and Rotom-Wash are two underrated options that can also deal with hazards very well. You also have ways to deal with hazards that don't require hazard-resilient mons and, in fact, I'd say the meta's centralization around Garchomp makes doing that easier in a way. Mandibuzz is obviously very effective at controlling Chomp's hazards, being an extremely hard-counter to the mon in general and, due to most teams often not bothering to have hazards elsewhere with Garchomp being a great setter, you'll often be able to play completely hazard-free with Buzz. You can also play more aggressively either by giving Garchomp few opportunities to Up by threatening 1HKOs with offensive threats like Latios, Greninja or Deoxys-Speed or by luring it with uncommon Ice moves that can also be useful for mons like Latios, Zapdos and Tornadus-T. I don't think you need to bend over backwards to deal with Chomp's hazards considering how often it ends up as a team's dedicated hazard setter.

- Garchomp makes it harder to Spin. :excadrill:

This one was brought up concerning Rocky Helmet+Rough Skin taking out mons attempting to Spin on it. While I do think Excadrill is a rather flawed Spinner into Chomp, contact damage is one of the more minor issues it might face attempting to remove. First of all, Rocky Helmet Chomp has been seeing somewhat of a decline, at least in high-level play, due to getting worn down far too quickly and, when considering Helmet is mostly ran on slow Tank sets, this is especially an issue because of how quickly it can fall into Excadrill's double Earthquake range. Second, if your opponent really wants to spinblock you, they can just use some kind of Tera Ghost or one of our Ghost-Types. Even if Sinistcha ends up losing to Excadrill, it'll have severely chipped it and prevented it from spinning which is all it needs to do. If your opponent is especially determined to keep hazards up, they'll dig up something like Balloon Basculegion-F to stop you. It's not like other hazard-setters are nice to Excadrill anyway. Greninja, Ogerpon and Sandy Shocks all threaten it heavily and god forbid you have to try to keep Rocks off against a Hippowdon. Anyway, all these issues are concerning one mon and, as said earlier, a lot teams get by using hazard-resilient options or Mandibuzz.

Also gonna move on to some more general takes I've heard:

- Garchomp makes other Ground-types bad. :sandy shocks:

No, other Ground-types besides Exca are just bad. Most of them are slower than they should be and get worn down quickly (looking at Mamoswine and Ursaluna specifically). Hippowdon and Gastrodon are awkward momentum sinks and Sandy Shocks hates having to plan around Latios. Other Ground-types would get a bit better with Chomp gone, but you gotta realize that the reason others aren't being used is moreso because they have serious flaws holding them back than because they're outclassed.

- Banning Garchomp might make Zapdos broken. :zapdos:

I guess this one might not be that common, but it's been a concern among council. I think Garchomp is a pretty poor Zapdos answer all things considered as it lacks recovery and struggles to hurt it. Even if it's a more offensive set that has the damage output to muscle through Zapdos, Hurricanes are most likely gonna 2HKO Chomp making it unreliable at best. I'd say Zapdos is pretty much uncouterable over long games, which may seem like an issue, but a Zapdos that has the time to break through everything is ridiculously rare. Most likely, teams that are weakest to Zapdos are those who can't properly rack up damage on it... such as teams using passive Garchomp variants. Banning Chomp would remove a common voltblocker, but in terms of keeping Zapdos in check, I don't think it currently makes it that much easier.

- Revenge-killing options for Garchomp are unreliable. :lokix:

Alright I understand where this is coming from. Garchomp is extremely bulky for an offensive mon and can Tera to resist Scizor's Bullet Punch and Arcanine's Extreme Speed. However, I think these are very on-paper worries. Garchomp, even when running offensive sets, is an important part of a team's defensive integrity. You might need it to take a stray resisted move once or twice and, on top of hazards and the damage it may take while setting up, chip adds up very quickly. And then, there's the -1 Defense it gets from Scale Shot. At this point, it's usually weak enough that its natural bulk and the resists it can gain from Tera don't matter all that much. 80% from Mienshao CC, 60% from Lokix Fimp, 50% from Tera Water Azumarill Aqua Jet, 45% from Tera Grass Ogerpon Ivy Cudgel on a resisted hit. Those are all pretty realistic ranges you can hit, especially the first two and you can force further Scale Shot uses for priority users saccing mons like Latios if you really need it, but I doubt it. Yes, Garchomp can sometimes still be healthy enough to make revenge-killing difficult, but I'd say it happens somewhat rarely.

I feel like my posts lately have just been a somewhat unorganized thought-dump, so I apologize for that. Anyway, it might seem from the majority of this post that I'm pro-DNB for Garchomp, but in reality, it's pretty complicated. I don't think Chomp is broken, but its impact on builder is something I've felt pretty heavily as slotting proper Ground-resists can feel difficult as Zapdos, Torn-T, Latios and Hydrapple can't properly switch into Scale Shot. I also think the tier is in a somewhat unstable state where consistency is difficult to achieve and it's especially hard to stray from the beaten path while achieving consistency with playstyles like BO and Balance where you have some extremely important checklists to fill and will pretty much always end up with Mandibuzz+Steel structures. I doubt Garchomp leaving the tier would fix this issue or even come close, but removing it alongside some other common and dangerous mons can lead the tier to a better path. However, whether that issue is caused by something else or even exists at all is not something I'm sure of. I'm pretty much completely 50/50 on this mon and would probably have some issues with either keeping it or removing it. I guess if there's one thing I want to make clear with this post, it's that I think the blame of Chomp's negative effects on the meta are caused pretty much entirely by Swords Dance sets, especially in the builder.

Imo people are focusing too much on "this set on garchomp is broken while the other one is not" side of things while imo the problem is garchomp's versatility out of these two sets
I don't think either set is too much for the tier, all out offensive chomp can't get going out of control that easily without the threat of spikes stack and vice versa

Not that either set is definitively balanced[offensive one is bordering on broken] but what makes garchomp a pressing issue or something close to it is its unpredictability resulting in a free turn or two, thereby shifting momentum in its team's favor in the early game.

It's generally less of an issue mid game and not really an issue late game from my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)