UU Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purpose of this thread is to bring up discussions of great UU cores, defensive/offensive/supportive. We all know how Cores work. Tandem, hand in hand, that sorta thing. What good coverage and teammates are people using out there? This thread is to help bring some of those to light. from 2-3 pokemon Here are some pretty standard ones:

The Dark Flower Core:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 hp/ 252 Def/ 4 atk
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell/toxic
- Foul Play
- Protect

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy/toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Description: Your pretty standard defensive core. Both provide great support for each other, both type coverage and on the Physical/Special split. Two clerics may be excessive so one or the other can have Toxic to aid in the stall. This core is extremely hard to break through and provide tons of support for the rest of your team.

The Wannabe Genesect and Rotom-W Volturn core

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 hp/ 252 spa/4 spdef
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power grass/ice

Flygon@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 AtK/ 252 Spe/4 Def
Jolly Nature:
-Uturn
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Dragon claw/fire punch

These two are amazing not only for their volt-turning, but also for their amazing defensive synergy and hitting on the physical and special side. Both are great momentum gainers as well. Threatening tons of pokemon with U-turn or Voltswitch. This is great for offensive teams that need their momentum back.

Assualt Vest in Tact...Mission Start!!

Slowbro @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 hp/252 def/4 spa
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Tangrowth@ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 200 SpeDef/56 Def
Sassy Nature
-Giga Drain
-Knock off
-Earthquake
-Hidden Power ice/Fire

Description: These two are quite the regenerator pair making it very difficult to KO them. Both give great synergy and Tangrowth continually annoys with knock off, while Slowbro provides the coverage. Giga Drain allows Tangrowth to lengthen its survivability.

So what cores are people using out there?!?! I hope this thread brings out alot of potential in this UU metagame and aids people in team building

Nice! I've been waiting for a thread like this. Has it been approved or something though? Anyway, here's a pretty common core.

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head / Heavy Slam
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock / Ice Punch / Earthquake

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Simple enough to understand. Aggron tanks Steel and Poison hits while Florges sponges Special Attacks aimed at Aggron. Florges keeps this core healthy while Mega Aggron spreads paralysis to help a sweeper, well, sweep. I'm pretty sure there are better Mega Aggron sets and spreads though.

EDIT: Changed the M-Aggron spread. Found out that what I run is pretty standard lol

Last edited:
NotBruceWayne
You definitely don't want 252 Def on a Mega Aggron; 252 SpD is so much better. Even with no physical investment, it's incredibly bulky, and the Defense EVs are unnecessary.
EDIT- Although you're investing in special defense for both, you usually have a third member of the core like physically defensive Zapdos to complement it.

Last edited:
Kingler12345 said:
NotBruceWayne
You definitely don't want 252 Def on a Mega Aggron; 252 SpD is so much better. Even with no physical investment, it's incredibly bulky, and the Defense EVs are unnecessary.
That's actually what I run! I was skeptical about posting it though because I thought it was pretty weird. A spread of 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk, a Careful Nature and the exact same moveset.

^Actually, Mega Aggron's Defense stat is so humongous that I would always go for an Impish nature even with a SpD spread. Even with no investment the added bulk is superior.
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 166-195 (48.2 - 56.6%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 179-213 (52 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 135-159 (39.2 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 148-175 (43 - 50.8%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO

Anyway to contribute to the thread here's a really annoying core :
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 96 Spd / 252 HP / 160 Atk
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Toxic
- Substitute
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 104 SDef / 56 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest

Basically the idea is to have both a very solid Defensive core (pair it with a bulky water like Empoleon though because Chandelure is a threat) that also has a lot of wallbreaking potential. You use Jirachi's Substitute + Status set from last gen (imo his most annoying one, far more than the Scarf set - Jirachi behind a sub, urgh) with poison spreading support from Toxic Spikes as well as occasionally the residual damage from sand. Suddenly Jirachi's better switch-ins like Hippowdon, Jellicent, Def Umbreon, Zapdos can be easily beaten because every Iron Head flinch increases the poison damage. It helps that the most used Cleric, Florges, is a free Substitute for Jirachi, and that the best Spinner, Mega Blastoise, is grounded, hates the residual damage from poison and can't touch Roserade. Sub Jirachi can be extremely difficult to deal with for the UU stall teams who don't have access to Heatran so I urge anyone who has trouble breaking stall to try out this core.
Offensively I like to pair it with fast physical sweepers like Mienshao or Scarf Heracross who really thrive when the opposing team's bulky Ground- or Water-types / Zapdos are weakened by Jirachi's antics.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
i'm locking this because we're planning to open up a cores/teams thread with an approval process so we can keep the quality standard high

otherwise, these cores thread always end up being cesspools lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)