Serious US Election Thread (read post #2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Also DestinyUnknown if your argument is "won't nobody think of the poor nazis" you might just have a poor argument.

I didn't bring that up, I was just responding to the person that did, as he called all Trump voters ''literal, real life nazis''. I'm fine with responding to anything but please read everything before.

And that's way to oversimplify what I said. I'm just saying that spewing hate in every possible manner is exactly the way of making things worse. Nobody benefits from that.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I didn't bring that up, I was just responding to the person that did, as he called all Trump voters ''literal, real life nazis''. I'm fine with responding to anything but please read everything before.

And that's way to oversimplify what I said. I'm just saying that spewing hate in every possible manner is exactly the way of making things worse. Nobody benefits from that.
last I checked doing exactly that landed a certain person the presidency of a very powerful country.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
last I checked doing exactly that landed a certain person the presidency of a very powerful country.
Precisely. If calling people nazis and promoting the 'us vs them' mentality just helped Trump win the election, why would that change now?

By keeping the insults and lack of empathy for the voters that already felt cornered, we are just incentivizing the existing toxicity. This is what happened throughout all the campaign and what led to the radical messages to triumph. Did it work for Clinton? Did it work for America?

if you guys really feel that this is unfair heres a link for you

https://www.change.org/p/electoral-...ake-hillary-clinton-president-on-december-19?
But should I? I don't want Trump as President, but I don't want to piss off his voters (well, those who voted for him for reasons other than out of hate).

For those of you who didn't vote for Trump, what do you think is the safer option?

Take our chances with Trump, and hope everything works out, or sign and pass on that petition, and possibly earn the animosity of every person who hates Hillary? I hate Hillary, so I understand why people voted against her, or not at all, but I outright am terrified of Trump, and have been given no logical reason to feel otherwise.

I don't think I've ever felt so confused and scared in my life.

Well, if someone gets the popular AND electoral college vote i don't know you can complain, it wouldn't make sense. But it's the third time it happens now, isn't it? And people have always complained when it happened.
I think you mean the fifth or so? And that means we have a ~7% fail rate on the electoral college. That's why it needs to go, or at the least be reformed.

Skitty

i dont care if i ever come down♪
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But should I? I don't want Trump as President, but I don't want to piss off his voters (well, those who voted for him for reasons other than out of hate).

For those of you who didn't vote for Trump, what do you think is the safer option?

Take our chances with Trump, and hope everything works out, or sign and pass on that petition, and possibly earn the animosity of every person who hates Hillary? I hate Hillary, so I understand why people voted against her, or not at all, but I outright am terrified of Trump, and have been given no logical reason to feel otherwise.

I don't think I've ever felt so confused and scared in my life.
Feel free to sign the petition if you want of course, but realize that this is completely unrealistic. It's hard to tell from the petition because it doesn't really list the facts, but it isn't going to happen. Hillary and Obama have also already conceeded, I doubt they'll want to be like "jk" at the last minute. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector

Feel free to sign the petition if you want of course, but realize that this is completely unrealistic. It's hard to tell from the petition because it doesn't really list the facts, but it isn't going to happen. Hillary and Obama have also already conceeded, I doubt they'll want to be like "jk" at the last minute. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector
Then there is no point. Time would be better spend talking to like minded folks who are devastating, and thinking of ways to prepare for the worst.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm not an international politics expert, but I think it stands to reason that Putin has some damning things on Trump that he can use to blackmail the President. Whoopee.
What can there possibly be to blackmail Trump with after all he went through in the elections? It was shown that he had evaded taxes, declared bankruptcy, scammed people, neglected to pay workers, harassed women, mocked the disabled, mocked veterans, mocked the parents of a dead veteran, conspicuously refused to show any actual evidence for his wealth, courted racists and xenophobes, publicly and repeatedly encouraged war crimes, used a charitable foundation as a personal bank acount, and bragged about being able to get away with freaking assault. Among other things.

Any ordinary presidential campaign would have folded completely under just one of these scandals. But Trump just shrugged and went on, and his followers cheered. "He's evaded taxes for 18 years! Legally! That's pretty clever!" Of course, half the country despised him for those actions, but that didn't stop Trump. He just ignored it, let it blow over, and now he's about to pack down crates of incredibly gaudy furniture he can bring with him to the White House in January.

What could the Russians possibly have on Trump that he'd feel threatened by? Even if they published high-definition videos of him strangling a kindergartener with his bare hands, he'd use the occasion to mock people who said he had too small hands to do that. And there would be "trumpets" in the comments sections claiming it would all be fake anyway. Trump has proven to be immune to damning evidence and conspiracy theories, so I doubt a blackmail or two would make any difference.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Nah, actually, I just saw this video, and honestly I think he nailed it perfectly well.

boy you actually need to formulate a coherent response on your own to the question at hand than posting a random self-righteous video rehashing Clinton's "scandals", repeatedly throwing in "of course! i knew"

No one gives a shit. I'll reiterate because your responses don't inspire a lot of confidence your comprehension.

Trump outshouted everyone and insulted literally insulted everyone he could throughout the campaign. In the vilest ways imaginable. People can't suddenly stroll in here and start claiming "of course liberals here are the cocky insulting assholes. We were all fed up! If only it weren't so. Let's all be nice." :).

Justify that.

boy you actually need to formulate a coherent response on your own to the question at hand than posting a random self-righteous video rehashing Clinton's "scandals", repeatedly throwing in "of course! i knew"

No one gives a shit. I'll reiterate because your responses don't inspire a lot of confidence your comprehension.

Trump outshouted everyone and insulted literally insulted everyone he could throughout the campaign. In the vilest ways imaginable. People can't suddenly stroll in here and start claiming "of course liberals here are the cocky insulting assholes. We were all fed up! If only it weren't so. Let's all be nice." :).

Justify that.
Well, if nobody gave a shit, he wouldn't have won, now would he? Perhaps you don't, because you think that video is self-righteous when you reek of a better-than-thou attitude. "Oh, he insulted everyone".. yeah? And? So, you're saying that insults are bad? Then why are you guys so busy doing it? Your constant labelling (fascists, nazist, racist, secist, xenophobic, islamophobic, whatever) does in fact drive people nuts. And eventually, guess what, it backfires.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think the following is a very relevant quote given the outcome of this election.

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."
-MLK (link to rest of the letter in case you want to read it)

Obviously not everyone who voted for Trump was racist / Islamophobic / xenophobic / homophobic / sexist, but they were complicit with all of the isms and phobias used as a device for the Trump campaign. I don't speak for other people in the same situation, but as someone on the other side of one of those isms / phobias, I am not really comforted by the fact that not everyone that voted for Trump is homophobic, because regardless of the motivation of the voters, a party which has making it legal for teens to undergo conversion therapy against their will if their parents want, continue the status quo of allowing people to be fired for sexual orientation, and to place supreme court justices committed to overturning marriage rights as part of its platform, controls both of the legislative bodies and the executive branch of the United States of America. Hell the Vice President is literally someone who thinks you can electrocute gay people straight, in two thousand fucking sixteen. I'm sure it sucks being called racist/sexist/etc., and I'm sure people do sometimes get mislabeled as racist/etc. when they aren't, but the fact that Trump supporters are comparing that to being the actual victim of racism/sexism/homophobia/Islamophobia is funny, like the kind of sad funny where you laugh on the outside but part of you dies on the inside. I mean it is extremely clear that Donald Trump used racist / sexist / Islamophobic rhetoric throughout his campaign, yet its somehow considered as bad for people to call him racist / sexist / Islamophobic as it is for him to use said rhetoric? I don't understand how those things are even remotely comparable.

At the end of the day I do hope that Donald Trump's rhetoric was just that, rhetoric. But I don't think you can be mad that people who didn't support Donald Trump are skeptical of both him as a person and his supporters motivations for voting for him. But actually I mostly hope that Ruth Bader Ginsberg lives to be at least 88 years old.

Last edited:

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, if nobody gave a shit, he wouldn't have won, now would he? Perhaps you don't, because you think that video is self-righteous when you reek of a better-than-thou attitude. "Oh, he insulted everyone".. yeah? And? So, you're saying that insults are bad? Then why are you guys so busy doing it? Your constant labelling (fascists, nazist, racist, secist, xenophobic, islamophobic, whatever) does in fact drive people nuts. And eventually, guess what, it backfires.
You're still not answering the question. He has made statements that legitimately qualify him for many of those tags. Misspelling and dismissing them in brackets doesn't make you right.

Let's try this again. I have faith in you. Explain your rhetoric.

Last edited:
Sigh... it is hard to understand then. Truth or not, that's one of the best fucking ways to push undecided voters AWAY from you.
I understand that sentiment, but please be aware that this "truth or not" stance actively promotes dishonesty in politics for the sake of sparing the feelings of people who are ignorant at best and hateful at worst, and those same people don't play by your rules.

The poster you quoted did not do that, he pointed out that literal, real life nazis voted for Trump, which is true beyond reasonable doubt. You were simply twisting his words, which I don't have to do to pull out this lovely quote of yours,
And have you stopped to think for a moment that back in the day, the Nazi vote was understandable?
so idk what you're trying to do by making me read the posts, which I had already done.

Further, pointing out the hateful tendencies of hateful people is not an attack, it is an observation, and I honestly don't understand how this false equivalency has become so ingrained in the political discourse, gven that it falls flat when confronted with the slightest bit of rational thinking. It's not "spewing hate", it's plain criticism, and it's pretty telling that the defense is a complete shutdown of the conversation.

You're still not answering the question. He has made statements that legitimately qualify him for many of those tags. Misspelling and dismissing them I'm brackets doesn't make you right.

Let's try this again. I have faith in you. Explain your rhetoric.
Because honestly the only answer I could possibly give to it is the exact answer you want. This is a either "you're with me on this, or you're a retarded racist/sexist...whatever" question. My lack of worry about him "insulting everyone" (I've only seen him insult muslims and mexicans) is that it just purely is tapping into emotions people already harbor. You call it racism, I call it "ISIS exists, they behead people. Mexican cartels exist, they fill our streets with drugs.".. a geniune worry. And he taps into that for voters. You know the saying "one bad apple spoils the rest".

Oh and I see we're at the point where "racist" and "sexist" are insults, so let me point that they are not; insults like "asshole" have no specific definition or fact-based meaning while racist and sexist words and actions make you racist and sexist, which is a matter of fact, not feeling, so if A calls B a racist then it is either true or not, and no tragically ironic victim-complex will ever be able to change that.

If you don't want people to call you words, don't act according to them. If you have a problem with the negative connotations of racism and seixsm, say so instead of ignoring reality.

Maybe if--let's see, ANY other politician out there--had been willing to address the illegal immigration problem we have, we wouldn't have needed Trump!
But no.
Merely suggesting that I L L E G A L immigration is a problem was enough to be instantly labelled racist--and subsequently dismissed.

Thank you for your thought policing, y'all liberals played yourselves.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
^he did more than merely suggest, and don't forget that little part about a fantastically impractical wall or banning Muslims wholesale which is U N C O N S T I T U T I O N A L. Don't downplay this shit to make your case.

re: non-American-yet-speaking-in-first-person-poster-from-earlier
Yes you've pretty much captured the breathtaking vastness of Trump's insults and regressiveness, except objectifying women and attributing their moods to periods, dismissing rape and assault, insulting parents of war veterans, calling minority movements terrorism, openly propounding anti-Semitic conspiracies, and... well I'm not doing your homework, go look up the internet....

Others have beat me to the punch, but unless you have reason to believe Trump was wrongly accused of any of this crap then you have a case, otherwise your whining essentially boils down to "I don't care because these issues don't matter that much to me, stop calling him all these -ists, that's insulting, no wonder we are angry. shutupshutupshutup"

ps: just as a side note that neat "one bad apple logic" doesn't bring the USA any closer to things like gun regulation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)