Serious US Election Thread (read post #2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The electoral college exists so that the small town folks actually matter. Otherwise you might just dismantle your form of democracy and call it dictatorial, because Democrats more or less control the big cities. Its auite simple and understandable.

Well, he gets them. And I've seen his wish to keep good relationships with those that seeks it back (his victory speech), as well as having talked about working together with Russia instead of against it. Again, what will happen is hard to predict.

I agree with that. I do not hold that worry at all anymore. I did however have it just a week back.

If there's any misspelling here, sorry. cold fingers and hones are not a good combo.
Okay, that really pissed me off and made me sick. I'm sure you didn't mean to, but here is the deal:

Most people didn't ask for this. Most people preferred Hillary, but because of an Arceus-damned technicality, we're stuck with a man who has spent his life ripping off people. Honestly, I have half a mind of not recognizing him as President. He sure as hell doesn't have my consent, nor represent my ideals. He will ignore climate change, allow corporations to rape the environment for profit, abolish the minimum wage, and allow racism and misogyny.

How is it fair that most people didn't vote for Trump, but he is our President?

And on another issue, there is the fact that we have a loose cannon who asked three times "why can't we use nuclear codes", and says he wants to be "unpredictable", clearly a bad idea when there are countries that can end us, and who might panic in the event of a unnecessary nuclear launch meant for ISIS. He doesn't understand the concept of mutually assured destruction, and lacks the empathy to care, since he and his family will be entitled to a nuclear bunker, immune the consequences.

Since he didn't get the popular vote, we already have a case. Most people clearly don't trust him. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is terrified of the idea of Trump getting the nuclear codes, so I propose starting a movement to spread this knowledge, and contact our representatives who do not support Trump while we still can, and start a bipartisan effort to give them to a moderate (military or otherwise) who both sides can trust not to start WW-III. I feel not doing so is a death sentence.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, I have half a mind of not recognizing him as President. He sure as hell doesn't have my consent, nor represent my ideals. He will ignore climate change, allow corporations to rape the environment for profit, abolish the minimum wage, and allow racism and misogyny.

where were you (not necessarily you, rather the general you) complaining about the electoral college when Obama was elected? The fact that he also won the popular vote is arbitrary - the electoral college still existed. Of all the things to complain about this election, the electoral college ranks way low down. Just because you didn't like the election result is not a good enough reason to rubbish it.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On the list of things to complain about, pretty high up for me is that Trump still never clarified how he would avoid conflicts of interest with his businesses, investments, and debts

Leaving it to his kids does NOT count

where were you (not necessarily you, rather the general you) complaining about the electoral college when Obama was elected? The fact that he also won the popular vote is arbitrary - the electoral college still existed. Of all the things to complain about this election, the electoral college ranks way low down. Just because you didn't like the election result is not a good enough reason to rubbish it.
Well, if someone gets the popular AND electoral college vote i don't know you can complain, it wouldn't make sense. But it's the third time it happens now, isn't it? And people have always complained when it happened.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And have you stopped to think for a moment that back in the day, the Nazi vote was understandable? There were legit reasons why almost an entire country felt like their only option was to vote for the Nazi party, and you can't just brush it off as ''people are stupid''. They were not, and studying history has showed us why the German population felt so desperate. Fighting for your own interests is not stupid. And fighting for your ideals isn't either, but you have to understand that different people have different ideas.

As for 'deserving to vote'. You are the first person that says that other people don't have the right to post. Not explicitly, but implicitly: 'an affront against human decency', so according to your own words, you are literal, real-life Nazi.

The one that isn't doing justice to the Nazi comparison is you. You're making the same mistake, a total lack of acceptance for other people's opinions and feelings. As Yeti explained well in her post a few pages ago.
how has no one called out this post lmao?

yes, you can understand why someone voted for hitler. i understand why people voted for trump. i think everyone does. there are a lot of people who are genuinely angry and upset with the status quo and feel that things are not getting better for them. i understand it.

but an entire part of the nazi rise to power was scapegoating jewish people who were well off while others were suffering. the german people supported that message, whether they explicitly hated the jewish people or not, implicitly by voting for hitler and the nazi party. and history shows that the shortsightedness of that decision quite literally led to a mass genocide of people based on their religion (plus romani people and gay people among others) and a second world war.

trump (while he did definitely use some coded and not so coded anti-semitic language) used illegal immigrants and undocumented workers to rally (mainly white but not exclusively) voters who felt their jobs were being taken by these illegal people who don't belong here. he called mexican people rapists and criminals, said the people who come over from mexico are the country's worst, and said he would deport millions of people.

do you not see why a trump presidency is literally terrifying for those people? i don't care if their vote is understandable, it doesn't make it any less of an awful reality for real people in this country.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
big difference of the conflict of interest between running a charitable foundation and multi-billion dollar revenue businesses.

the clinton foundation doesn't owe investors or banks money. it doesn't benefit from better relations with a country where it would want to build a golf course, etc.

As a foreign viewer the electoral college system really looks like some people's votes are worth more than others'.
The fact that one party "controls" cities shouldn't be a parameter, because votes should be independent.
It's not because a city's mayor is X that it should be taken into account when electing the president. If people are happy with the way X deals with the city + X's candidate they'll vote for X, if not they'll vote for Y. I don't know if i'm being clear

I'm not saying Trump election should be cancelled, what's done is done. But the system seems to exist just for low-populated areas weight more than they actually do, and i personnaly couldn't stand it if there were those kind of difference of treatment.
This is true, the low-pop area votes do have heavier weight. Yet still, even though votes "should" be independent,a country as vast as the US has a large amount of different people with different ideals. Yes, the fact that densely-populated areas are controlled shouldn't matter, but it does. If the goal was to aim for popularity vote wins, then the low-pop vote has no meaning at all. No presidental candidate would take the time to campaign these areas, because it will more or less not matter. Instead, all politics will be strictly directed to the cities, to appeal to those masses. In other words, the electoral college gives the low-pop vote an actual meaning, as well as giving people living there some policies they actually want.

I feel that paragraph was a bit of ramble, but I hope you see my point. In a popularity vote, all votes are equal, but only the cities will be pandered to.

Okay, that really pissed me off and made me sick. I'm sure you didn't mean to, but here is the deal:

Most people didn't ask for this. Most people preferred Hillary, but because of an Arceus-damned technicality, we're stuck with a man who has spent his life ripping off people. Honestly, I have half a mind of not recognizing him as President. He sure as hell doesn't have my consent, nor represent my ideals. He will ignore climate change, allow corporations to rape the environment for profit, abolish the minimum wage, and allow racism and misogyny.
The difference was 300k voters. In Norway, that'd be a massive difference, but in the US it's rather marginal. Besides, there is still about half the population that didn't vote.

And that's your right as a citizen with freedom of speech. You do not need to want to have your president. But you have him now. Because he campaigned and played the game better.

How is it fair that the small guys have no champion anymore, if the pop vote is established over the current system?

And on another issue, there is the fact that we have a loose cannon who asked three times "why can't we use nuclear codes", and says he wants to be "unpredictable", clearly a bad idea when there are countries that can end us, and who might panic in the event of a unnecessary nuclear launch meant for ISIS. He doesn't understand the concept of mutually assured destruction, and lacks the empathy to care, since he and his family will be entitled to a nuclear bunker, immune the consequences.
I am still in the firm belief that thus was just "tough talk".

Since he didn't get the popular vote, we already have a case. Most people clearly don't trust him. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is terrified of the idea of Trump getting the nuclear codes, so I propose starting a movement to spread this knowledge, and contact our representatives who do not support Trump while we still can, and start a bipartisan effort to give them to a moderate (military or otherwise) who both sides can trust not to start WW-III. I feel not doing so is a death sentence.
It's not all trust. One can easily feign trustworthyness. Its very easy, really. I honestly think that you just have to accept 4 years with him, and during the next election focus more on appealing to people instea of pushing them away with the buzzwords people have come to hate. And hope your candidate actually attends to the swingstates more. What you can do now is try and see if he can redeem his inage, because I too find him an idiot.

Final point: I completely understand your view points, I simply do not agree with them. I don't think a popular vote system is any good at all, otherwise you'll have a bunch of people left out (or feel like it, atleast). Here in Norway, we have a part called Senterpartiet (Central Party) which usually collects about 10 parliament representatives. In a system of 169. Their goals and desires will never be fulfilled (whether that's a bad thing or not I'm not gonna mention), despite the party representing the farmers. The electoral college atleast gives their vote a meaning (perhaps a bit too heavy though) which is a good thing. If anything, push for an alocation of the electorial college votes from each state.

But he won both! He won on both counts, but not Trump! Now, if Trump won the popular vote, the I would have little choice but to accept the judgement of my fellow Americans and hope to God they made the right decision (well, I literally still do. Other than resisting/bitching about the policies I'm sure to come that I do not agree with, there is not much I can do legally speaking).

How would you like it if Hillary won the electoral vote, but not the popular vote?

And out of curiosity/clarity, may I ask who you voted for?

The electoral college should have been abolished after 2000 anyways, so we wouldn't be talking about this. Bush was clearly the wrong candidate.

This is true, the low-pop area votes do have heavier weight. Yet still, even though votes "should" be independent,a country as vast as the US has a large amount of different people with different ideals. Yes, the fact that densely-populated areas are controlled shouldn't matter, but it does. If the goal was to aim for popularity vote wins, then the low-pop vote has no meaning at all. No presidental candidate would take the time to campaign these areas, because it will more or less not matter. Instead, all politics will be strictly directed to the cities, to appeal to those masses. In other words, the electoral college gives the low-pop vote an actual meaning, as well as giving people living there some policies they actually want.

I feel that paragraph was a bit of ramble, but I hope you see my point. In a popularity vote, all votes are equal, but only the cities will be pandered to.
I understand your viewpoint, but I don't agree. The results of a President who won the electoral but not the popular vote has never been good in my lifetime. Can anyone tell me the last time this has happened? I believe that for a system to be in place, it needs to generate good results, especially if it isn't the most democratic option.

The difference was 300k voters. In Norway, that'd be a massive difference, but in the US it's rather marginal. Besides, there is still about half the population that didn't vote.

And that's your right as a citizen with freedom of speech. You do not need to want to have your president. But you have him now. Because he campaigned and played the game better.
He also won because Hillary was a terrible candidate, but the DNC wanted her, voters be damned, and pretty much held her hand through the process. She is corrupt, and has so much baggage. I hated her, but I voted for her because I hate Trump more, simple as that. Sanders probably would have won, since he was a populist candidate too. They tried to shove her down our throats, and it resulted in projectile vomit in everyone's faces.

How is it fair that the small guys have no champion anymore, if the pop vote is established over the current system?
We'll see if they have a champion. I think he's going to end up stiffing them, like he's done in the past. But you're right in blaming Hillary for not reaching out to them. I blame her for that as well. Calling people "deplorables" and "irredeemables" was a stupid move on her part, and I hope the consequences aren't as bad as I fear. I've seen people online who proudly call themselves deplorable. I don't know what the consequences of that will be, or how much it will divide us.

I am still in the firm belief that thus was just "tough talk".
Considering that I fear that I'm going to die in a nuclear war, and not get the chance to have girlfriend, get married, and raise a family, you're going to have to give me more than that. I don't feel comfortable assuming that he won't do something incredibly stupid

It's not all trust. One can easily feign trustworthyness. Its very easy, really. I honestly think that you just have to accept 4 years with him, and during the next election focus more on appealing to people instea of pushing them away with the buzzwords people have come to hate. And hope your candidate actually attends to the swingstates more. What you can do now is try and see if he can redeem his inage, because I too find him an idiot.
If we can survive 4 years that is. If I'm 110% sure he won't do something stupid and start WW-III, then I'm sure we'll hang in there. We Americans are many things, and tough is one of them! We don't quit!
You're right that we need better candidates. I'm angry at Hillary for not going to North Dakota to protest with the Water Protectors against the DAPL like Jill Stein. Would it have won her the election? No guarantee at all. But it would have shown people that she cares about the environment, she cares about the little guy, and it might have galvanized more people like Native Americans and Jill Stein voters who care a lot about the environment to vote for her. It would have been honorable.
And I also am angry that they ignored the problems of the little guy in the rust belt region. I recognize that most Trump voters probably voted for him not because they are racist, ignorant, or stupid, but a number of other factors: fear of Hillary, concern that she doesn't have their best interests at heart, hatred of politics as usual, and I'm sure I've missed some. I hope Trump voters here see this, and list their reasons that cause them to vote for Trump. I want to understand. I think we need compassion and understanding, otherwise, I fear we will remain polarized, and this hate will continue.

Final point: I completely understand your view points, I simply do not agree with them. I don't think a popular vote system is any good at all, otherwise you'll have a bunch of people left out (or feel like it, atleast). Here in Norway, we have a part called Senterpartiet (Central Party) which usually collects about 10 parliament representatives. In a system of 169. Their goals and desires will never be fulfilled (whether that's a bad thing or not I'm not gonna mention), despite the party representing the farmers. The electoral college atleast gives their vote a meaning (perhaps a bit too heavy though) which is a good thing. If anything, push for an alocation of the electorial college votes from each state.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I understand your points, but I feel that a system needs to produce good results, or it needs to be replaced. There is also the problem of the wasted vote effect, which caused third party candidates to play a role in help getting Trump elected. Third party voters are going to get a lot of unfair hate.

Last edited:
So again going to point out, Trump got the same amount of votes as John McCain in 2008. Hillary received 10 million fewer voters than Obama did which cost her dearly in battleground states. Nobody was complaining about this when everyone but the L.A. times was predicting a Hillary Clinton sweep, looking at you huffington post with your 1.9%.

Maybe the lesson of all this is to have the people select the candidate instead of Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, Donna Brazile, and a few other establishment democrats. Then you might actually have voter turnout

So again going to point out, Trump got the same amount of votes as John McCain in 2008. Hillary received 10 million fewer voters than Obama did which cost her dearly in battleground states. Nobody was complaining about this when everyone but the L.A. times was predicting a Hillary Clinton sweep, looking at you huffington post with your 1.9%.

Maybe the lesson of all this is to have the people select the candidate instead of Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, Donna Brazile, and a few other establishment democrats. Then you might actually have voter turnout
Yeah, pretty much. I'd said it before, and I'm say it again: by trying to force Hillary down the country's throat, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and her cohorts might as well nominated Trump.

I feel that they betrayed us and stole, bartered, and sold our souls far more than any of the voters. I just hope it is a lesson that we will have a chance to learn.

It is obvious that this sort of behavior cannot be tolerated in the future, and needs to be terminated for the well-being of the country.

I could go on a rant about how they choose to back Hillary because she was the "chosen one", but you folks can probably feel my anger from here.

I think that the best thing that happened in this horrid election is that Maine Question 5 passed.
Here is an article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Question_5,_2016

So pretty much, now you can vote 3rd party and your vote can still count because of this ranked system (as long as you put someone else for your second choice). I'm advocating for this to be put in place in Florida (and other swing states) as soon as possible.

Australia, India, and Ireland have already used this, and it seems to work pretty well for them. Thoughts on this?

I think that the best thing that happened in this horrid election is that Maine Question 5 passed.
Here is an article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Question_5,_2016

So pretty much, now you can vote 3rd party and your vote can still count because of this ranked system (as long as you put someone else for your second choice). I'm advocating for this to be put in place in Florida (and other swing states) as soon as possible.

Australia, India, and Ireland have already used this, and it seems to work pretty well for them. Thoughts on this?
We need to make this happen by any means necessary (or abolish the electoral college. I think either would work). Doubt the Repugs in power will like this, since they like playing the electoral system we have in place, so we might have to unite and get "creative" to make it happen. It just has to.

I would have legally liked to be able to fill in the spot next to Jill Stein, so I could vote my conscience, while also playing it safe.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
how has no one called out this post lmao?

yes, you can understand why someone voted for hitler. i understand why people voted for trump. i think everyone does. there are a lot of people who are genuinely angry and upset with the status quo and feel that things are not getting better for them. i understand it.

but an entire part of the nazi rise to power was scapegoating jewish people who were well off while others were suffering. the german people supported that message, whether they explicitly hated the jewish people or not, implicitly by voting for hitler and the nazi party. and history shows that the shortsightedness of that decision quite literally led to a mass genocide of people based on their religion (plus romani people and gay people among others) and a second world war.

trump (while he did definitely use some coded and not so coded anti-semitic language) used illegal immigrants and undocumented workers to rally (mainly white but not exclusively) voters who felt their jobs were being taken by these illegal people who don't belong here. he called mexican people rapists and criminals, said the people who come over from mexico are the country's worst, and said he would deport millions of people.

do you not see why a trump presidency is literally terrifying for those people? i don't care if their vote is understandable, it doesn't make it any less of an awful reality for real people in this country.
Lmao xd right

Let's clarify some things:

1. What I am pointing out is that the same scapegoating Trump made of mexican and illegal immigrants, was made by Clinton as she called large amounts of voters ''deplorable'' among other things. Alienating and scapegoating voters, something that both candidates did, was what lead to this Election being so toxic.

2. This is the same that happened in Germany (but in that case, due to international pressure and oppression) back in the 1930s. People felt alienated and scapegoated by the whole world, which is what led to the radicalism. In a normal situation, they would have never considered rallying behind someone with such radical, racist ideas.

3. I understand why the message is scary for the people it concerns, and that is what we should criticize. The message, not the voters.

4. By keeping the insults and lack of empathy for the voters that already felt cornered, we are just incentivizing the existing toxicity. This is what happened throughout all the campaign and what led to the radical messages to triumph. Did it work for Clinton? Did it work for America? The same way you're asking for empathy for those alienated by Trump's message (which I agree with), you should be trying to empathize with the people that voted for Trump so that things can be fixed. More insults are definitely not going to help the cause.

4. By keeping the insults and lack of empathy for the voters that already felt cornered, we are just incentivizing the existing toxicity. This is what happened throughout all the campaign and what led to the radical messages to triumph. Did it work for Clinton? Did it work for America? The same way you're asking for empathy for those alienated by Trump's message (which I agree with), you should be trying to empathize with the people that voted for Trump so that things can be fixed. More insults are definitely not going to help the cause.
Exactly. If Trump is to bad as bad as I think he will be, we will need unity to survive. And even then, we will still need it to move forward. We can't afford to have conservatives calling progressives libtards, and progressives labeling conservatives as stupid or deplorable, and regarding each others values and beliefs as inferior or even meaningless. If this keeps up, we are liable to kill each other off.

We need to empathize, understand, and educate each other.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lmao xd right

Let's clarify some things:

1. What I am pointing out is that the same scapegoating Trump made of mexican and illegal immigrants, was made by Clinton as she called large amounts of voters ''deplorable'' among other things. Alienating and scapegoating voters, something that both candidates did, was what lead to this Election being so toxic.

2. This is the same that happened in Germany (but in that case, due to international pressure and oppression) back in the 1930s. People felt alienated and scapegoated by the whole world, which is what led to the radicalism. In a normal situation, they would have never considered rallying behind someone with such radical, racist ideas.

3. I understand why the message is scary for the people it concerns, and that is what we should criticize. The message, not the voters.

i'm not empathizing with people who explicitly or implicitly supported a racist who has a violently homophobic vice president. those people had a choice in the primaries not to vote for trump and to vote for republicans who weren't literally spewing racist things every 5 minutes if it was only the economic policy that mattered to them.

people are unwilling to admit that a large part of what made trump appealing was the fact that he said the racist things that a lot of white middle america was thinking. the message is definitely the problem, but the voters supported the message. clinton certainly shouldn't have called voters deplorable either, but that wasn't a racially driven comment like any of trump's, it was a reaction to the support those racially driven comments were getting.

and who are things being fixed for here? trump and pence's policies won't improve the quality of life for mexicans, muslims, african americans, women, and lgbt people.

and none of the republican party had any empathy when they were implying that obama was a muslim who wasn't born here, dragging out an entire movement to authenticate his birth certificate, or when they kept the government at a deadlock for 6 years, or the countless other ways they tried to slander obama that were largely racially driven. we had 8 years of republicans trying to discredit obama and block his policies and call everything he did unconstitutional, but in 2 days democrats are supposed to get over the fact that our next president is the embodiment of a lot of society's current ills? give me a break.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's a valid point, but the fact that it disproportionately favours rural areas needs to be addressed. For reference, California has roughly 39 million people, or a little more than Idaho (1.65m), West Virginia (1.85m), Louisiana (4.6m), Montana (1m), Utah (2.9m), Wyoming (.58m), both Dakotas (.86m and .75m), Kansas (3m), Nebraska (1.9m), Oklahoma (3.85), Iowa (3m), Missouri (6m), Arkansas (3m), and Mississippi (3m) combined, but they get 81 electoral college votes whereas California gets 55. And this doesn't even account for California having a larger GSP than those 15 states combined, but as it is right now they have a much louder voice on matters of national policy. I'm not saying the EC has to be scrapped, but y'all should probably adjust the weighting a bit because right now someone from a rural state has like an almost 50% more valuable vote than someone from California.

It's a valid point, but the fact that it disproportionately favours rural areas needs to be addressed. For reference, California has roughly 39 million people, or a little more than Idaho (1.65m), West Virginia (1.85m), Louisiana (4.6m), Montana (1m), Utah (2.9m), Wyoming (.58m), both Dakotas (.86m and .75m), Kansas (3m), Nebraska (1.9m), Oklahoma (3.85), Iowa (3m), Missouri (6m), Arkansas (3m), and Mississippi (3m) combined, but they get 81 electoral college votes whereas California gets 55. And this doesn't even account for California having a larger GSP than those 15 states combined, but as it is right now they have a much louder voice on matters of national policy. I'm not saying the EC has to be scrapped, but y'all should probably adjust the weighting a bit because right now someone from a rural state has like an almost 50% more valuable vote than someone from California.
We'll, there is obviously no empathizing with them, since they probably have little empathy to begin for those who aren't "them". But we have Trump voters here, and they aren't like that (I hope).

Edit: okay, that was weird. Why was there a double post, and when I deleted one, the other was deleted too?!

That's something I completely agree with. Hence why I believe a redistribution of electoral votes is a far better option than abolishing it completely. How to go about that, I can't quite pinpoint, but it's an idea to concider atleast.

Unrelated, but I think I've actually dreamed your post at some point. Weird.

Since the "deplorable" thing came up here's a few questions about that that I've had on my mind, because I never quite understood the problem with it:
"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."
1) Given Trump's own statements and actions, his endorsement from the KKK and other such pleasant individuals, and events like these
and others, what exactly is disagreeable about this? How are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic people not deplorable? Is the problem that she used the word "half" when it was probably a different percentage, even though she prefaced it with saying it's a generalization? Is it that she said some (!) of them are "irredeembale"? The only part that appears clearly wrong to me is the "they are not America" thing, given how the election turned out, but please do enlighten me.

2) If you don't disagree with it, is your problem simply that she told the truth and should've kept quiet about it instead?

3) If yes, how does this figure into the part where she's always critized for being dishonest and not trustowrthy? (I realize that the people who criticize her for that are not necessarily the people who have a problem with the statement, but I'm guessing there's some overlap and it's interesting regardless.)

Also DestinyUnknown if your argument is "won't nobody think of the poor nazis" you might just have a poor argument.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The popular vote doesn't indicate the people's will at all in a state-based majority winner-takes-it-all election system. Voters of a certain party are hugely discouraged to even go to the ballots when they live in a historically democrat or republican state. It is safe to assume that potential trump voters didn't even bother since they live in california, or vice versa in texas, etc. That's also why the participation rate is so incredobly low compared to direct democracies. Everyone claiming that it's the system's fault that Trump won doesn't understand that the result would be different in a different system

Since the "deplorable" thing came up here's a few questions about that that I've had on my mind, because I never quite understood the problem with it:

1) Given Trump's own statements and actions, his endorsement from the KKK and other such pleasant individuals, and events like these
and others, what exactly is disagreeable about this? How are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic people not deplorable? Is the problem that she used the word "half" when it was probably a different percentage, even though she prefaced it with saying it's a generalization? Is it that she said some (!) of them are "irredeembale"? The only part that appears clearly wrong to me is the "they are not America" thing, given how the election turned out, but please do enlighten me.

2) If you don't disagree with it, is your problem simply that she told the truth and should've kept quiet about it instead?

3) If yes, how does this figure into the part where she's always critized for being dishonest and not trustowrthy? (I realize that the people who criticize her for that are not necessarily the people who have a problem with the statement, but I'm guessing there's some overlap and it's interesting regardless.)

Also DestinyUnknown if your argument is "won't nobody think of the poor nazis" you might just have a poor argument.
Because the golden rule of a election is you don't attack the voters. Is that so hard to understand?

So a Russian diplomat has come out and said that officials from Moscow were working with the Trump campaign the whole time. I'm not an international politics expert, but I think it stands to reason that Putin has some damning things on Trump that he can use to blackmail the President. Whoopee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)