Unpopular opinions

What's frustrating about the water abundance is that there's so many Water Pokemon in Hoenn that are never, or barely, used by NPCs. Huntail, Gorebyss, Relicanth, Starmie, Lanturn, Corsola (from memory no-one uses the latter two at all, but I might be wrong on that).
I believe there’s a trainer in Emerald’s Victory Road who uses Lanturn. I know this because it somehow has Earthquake.

Also, at least in RS Starmie appears, but seems to be restricted to trainer refights. If a trainer has a Staryu, it’ll likely evolve by their strongest team at the latest. (I should know, I did all the Trainer’s Eyes refights in Ruby. All of them.)

Time to bring facts:
- Blue / Gary is the perfect representation of a rival in the anime or the games.
- Snorlax is the worst pokemon ever created, a fat fuck that has no point in existing
- Gardevoir line is very overrated
- Misreavus / Mismagius and Murkrow And Honchcrow are very very underrated pokemon
- Sword and Shield / Pokemon Platinum / HGSS / Pokemon Crystal are the best games
- Pokemon Should have created special shiny pokemon, Like shiny pokemon that are absolutley FIRE
- Pokemon Should be Able to lose moves on level up (ex: Anhhiliape loses final gambit on level up) and that move is replaced by a TM of the same type
- TR's are bad
- All pokemon that are good... are UGLY (ex: Gholdengo , Amoongus etc...)
- GEN 5 sprites are better than all 3D... YES IM LOOKING AT YOU TYPHOLOSION

Imma say it, you guys don't hate 3D Typhlosion, you just hate Typhlosion

His fire was meant to be in short bursts. It's why unlike literally every fire type line with a visible flame, it's drawn completely different, more fluid/realistic (or candle like for Chandelure line) for typical mons, vs a short burst for Typhlosion line
And GF was aware of that design choice. Gen 6-8 he flames up strictly for attacks, Stadium-PBR he similarly doesn't have the flames on 24/7, along with Mystery Dungeon sprites. PLA is similar. The anime does the same thing!

I notice no one has this complaint for Cyndaquil, despite doing the exact same thing. Quilava also somehow misses most complaints despite having MORE flames in design

Heck, Blaziken does the same thing, its arm bursts are actually ignored in fandom, yet no one complains for Gen 6-7 Blaziken

I think the real problem is you guys can't accept that compared to literally every other fire starter, Typhlosion is super plain, looking more like a Normal type mon without the flame. The Flame is literally a crutch

...For you, I like Typh, flameless or not, even if I have to admit it being plain

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the real problem is you guys can't accept that compared to literally every other fire starter, Typhlosion is super plain, looking more like a Normal type mon without the flame. The Flame is literally a crutch

...For you, I like Typh, flameless or not, even if I have to admit it being plain
I agree that Typhlosion is pretty plain, speaking as someone who loves it, but imo Typhlosion being plain is part of its charm. And it works well with respect to the starter trio it's part of and why Typhlosion fits as a member of the Johto starter trio.

Plainness is really a commonality of the Johto starter trio as a whole, not just Typhlosion. The biggest defining trait of the Johto starters imo amongst all the starter trios is that they are very uniquely plain compared to all other starter trios. Meganium is just a sauropod with a flower necklace (and its pre evos have just a head leaf). Typhlosion is just a badger, and has a back flame that it activates occasionally. Feraligatr is just a crocodile.

And their "plainness" is reinforced by their typings and stat builds. Unlike other starters, they don't have second types. They remain pure Grass, Fire, and Water. Their stats and movepools are very textbook and straightforward. Meganium is a textbook defensive cleric. Typhlosion is a textbook specially offensive attacker with good Speed and power. Feraligatr is a straightforward physical attacker. They're about as white bread as you can get, which makes them not great competitively sadly, but in a way, that's their charm.

Unlike other starter trios, especially those from Sinnoh onwards which have out there designs and second types as well as cohesive theming to their designs, the Johto starters are basically the plain trio among them. They're generic in just about every aspect. It works against them competitively, but in a way, that's their charm that ironically makes them unique.

Yeah, it was jarring in Stadium 2-PBR to have Fire mons like Ponyta line, Charmander line, and Moltres have realistic fire textures, fire moves to have realistic textures....then Typhlosion line it's a flat colored fin

This is why it needs to be a short BURST. It just looks off in constant motion

The realistic fire in PokéDex 3D Pro looks awful.
Oh no it was, due to looking so transparent. Rapidash has NONE flame fur that's just similarly colored that's missed too
But for consistency, Typhlosion was the odd one out for a while. The toon fire since Gen 6 has reduced this

The reason it felt off to me about Typhlosion is that in battle it feels like he should be in that sort of zone if you're sending it out to battle as is the case when you're seeing the model in most scenarios. Granted there do exist things like Pokemon-Amie or Camping so there is a place for it, but besides the awkwardly plain look it also feels like a weird situation not to be flaring up.

It kind of makes me think of how Xerneas has a duller "normal" mode color scheme while it gets the more extravagant rainbow lights and yellow horns when battling.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I think enough time has passed to where it's become clear that Typhlosion's buggered 3d model has tangibly damaged its reputation. I swear at the start of the 2010s it was a universally revered fan favorite but now after nearly a decade of being saddled with the lack of flames it feels like it has become so much more controversial and divisive, at least relative to the heights of praise it used to be treated to.

I think enough time has passed to where it's become clear that Typhlosion's buggered 3d model has tangibly damaged its reputation. I swear at the start of the 2010s it was a universally revered fan favorite but now after nearly a decade of being saddled with the lack of flames it feels like it has become so much more controversial and divisive, at least relative to the heights of praise it used to be treated to.
I think Typhlosion itself tarnished its reputation, being an meh copy of Charizard and all.

What have I started?

:psygrump:
A discussion about typhlosion obviously!

Frankly, I do believe that, flames or not, the whole line looks pretty good. The progression of the line isn't rly all that drastic, but it's functional enough!

Still kinda inferior to the chikorita line tho just look at them.
:sv/chikorita: :sv/bayleef: :sv/meganium:
sry for getting sidetracked but I rly wanted to get this unpopular opinion off my chest

A discussion about typhlosion obviously!

Frankly, I do believe that, flames or not, the whole line looks pretty good. The progression of the line isn't rly all that drastic, but it's functional enough!

Still kinda inferior to the chikorita line tho just look at them.
:sv/chikorita: :sv/bayleef: :sv/meganium:
sry for getting sidetracked but I rly wanted to get this unpopular opinion off my chest
Still made they made Chiko green after the anime, when OG was yellow
Makes Bayleef suddenly the odd one out

I have an original and perhaps unpopular opinion. Lapras :lapras: should be a Dragon - Ice type Pokémon, instead of Water - Ice.

If I were ignorant of Lapras' actual type, and asked to guess what type I think it is based only on its design, Psychic, Rock, and especially Dragon would be just as likely to come to my mind as Water or Ice.
In beta versions of Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue, Lapras was named Ness after the Loch Ness monster. Dragon type Pokémon are usually rarer (the Ness monster's existence is unconfirmed) and more powerful (Lapras' Base Stat Total is on par with the likes of Porygon-Z, Rhyperior, and Duraludon) than other Pokémon. In Generation I artwork, Lapras is shown bearing teeth that it loses in later games. Lapras may have been meant to be a more menacing creature, which would better suit a Dragon Pokémon. Lapras being Dragon type would have helped RBY's in-game balance, though not drastically. In RBY, only three Dragon type Pokémon existed, those being Dratini and its evolution family. Other Water - Ice type Pokémon already existed in the game, such as Cloyster and Dewgong.

Pokemon Lapras Artwork.PNG

As early as Gen II, Lapras was capable of learning Dragon type moves, such as Dragon Breath. Since then, it has gained options in Dragon Pulse and Dragon Dance, among others. Lapras also has a type diverse move pool, one which includes Hyper Beam, Charm, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Drill Run, and Megahorn.
A Lapras is used by the Unova Pokémon League Champion Iris, who specializes in Dragon type Pokémon. Even the non-Dragon Pokémon she uses, Lapras, Aggron, and Archeops if you squint, have slightly draconic designs. Red's Pokémon team would have no type overlap if Lapras was a Dragon - Ice type. This is nitpicky, but I personally prefer when Champions have type diverse teams, and moreso in Red's case because he is the original, ultimate Pokémon trainer.
Some players would say that Lapras should be a Water Pokémon instead, as Lapras nearly always appears in water in other Pokémon media and has Pokedex entries that detail how Lapras lives in water. Several other Pokémon make habitats in and have lore concerning water environments, and they are not Water type. Examples include Dragonite (Dragon - Flying), Lugia (Psychic - Flying), Dragalge (Poison - Dragon), Dhelmise (Ghost - Grass) and Grapploct (Fighting).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)