Unpopular opinions

My unpopular opinion: it's actually not a good thing for a meta to have a massive amount of viable options. Overcentralisation is bad, but a certain level of centralisation is necessary. We can see this in metas like late SM OU, where there are so many viable options that it's just not practical for a team to prepare for them all, and games are almost decided at Team Preview if your opponent brought one of the threats that you opted not to prepare for.

In some cases it actually means dominant Pokemon see *more* usage, such as with Lando-T that is brought principally because of its role compression and ability to deal with a lot of really strong threats at once, or Primal Groudon which probably wouldn't be nearly as good were it not for its ability to answer most of Ubers' strongest threats in one teamslot.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
My unpopular opinion: it's actually not a good thing for a meta to have a massive amount of viable options. Overcentralisation is bad, but a certain level of centralisation is necessary. We can see this in metas like late SM OU, where there are so many viable options that it's just not practical for a team to prepare for them all, and games are almost decided at Team Preview if your opponent brought one of the threats that you opted not to prepare for.

In some cases it actually means dominant Pokemon see *more* usage, such as with Lando-T that is brought principally because of its role compression and ability to deal with a lot of really strong threats at once, or Primal Groudon which probably wouldn't be nearly as good were it not for its ability to answer most of Ubers' strongest threats in one teamslot.
The opposite is also true; the meta will not benefit if too many new stuff ends up being unviable, causing ZU to be overrun with Pokémon that are somehow still bad. Worst case scenario, a tier or two become more stagnant unless some old Pokémon get a major buff (new evos technically doesn’t count since they are new Pokémon, unless the base is so bad it’s unviable) to keep up with the competition.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I find it very silly when ROM hack creators take their opinions about how competitive multiplayer should be balanced and inject those balance changes into their single player experience. Nobody is setting up Stealth Rock against Ace Trainer Veronica.
What about Battle Facilities?

god I hated radical red

At least it wasn't the team rocket hack of red. God that was a mess. No place to grind, the first gym leader's ace is level 36 while you're barely 11 or so, god why did people actually play this this is literal horse shit
WHAT? Why is their ace Lv36? That makes no sense for the first Gym Leader.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Also I hate gym leaders in hacks that have the power to pull anything out of their ass to win. Early gym leaders with a Super Potion, berry juice on everything, TM coverage, that shit's a pain in the ass who designs things like that it's just Misty calm the fuck down
Game design is hard for those who never designed a game before and are doing it from what they feel they would want (and likely never test to see if its at all fair, or rather have others test it to give their opinions). It's especially notable in Pokemon as GF a lot of the time pull their punches and purposely not make many of their battles difficult. Because of this an amateur modder may "over correct" and give the Gym Leader higher levels, better moves/Abilities, held item, stronger potions, better/more Pokemon, etc. without realizing that by giving them EVERYTHING you're making them too strong for even veteran players and likely the only way to beat them is through grinding.

without realizing that by giving them EVERYTHING you're making them too strong for even veteran players and likely the only way to beat them is through grinding.
...which I wouldn't be surprised being actually intentional, as for some arcane reason lot of people (not just on this board and not strictly specific to Pokemon either) have this weird notion that "grindy = hard" :blobshrug:

I don't understand the hype for Pokemon Legends Arceus and i dislike the game, it is just a shallow catching simulator that looks like an unfinished prototype. I hope that they will still make traditionnal Pokemon games after this one because almost everything i like about Pokemon isn't in this title.

Sinnoh is the most overrated region, the landscape is ugly and monotonous and there is Graveler, Machoke and Golbat everywhere.

Gen 5 starters are better than the gen 4 ones, Emboar is cooler than Infernape.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Gen 5 starters are better than the gen 4 ones, Emboar is cooler than Infernape.
Oof you had me up until this point, Sinnoh's starters are top tier IMO. I love the way each is designed to balance out the others - Torterra's Ground typing gives it an edge against both others while Infernape's Fighting type allows it to smash Empoleon, who - like most Water-types - learns Ice moves to hit Torterra even harder. I like all three equally, which is atypical of starter trios. Torterra's the first grass starter that's really solid-looking: the world turtle element isn't played up too overtly (it'd look really silly if it was) and it learning Earthquake on its own makes it really cool to use in-game.

I love the design ethos behind Unova's starters: Serperior has a European influence, Samurott has a Japanese influence, and Emboar has a Chinese influence. Unfortunately it doesn't come through in the final designs: all three are just so forgettable, largely because they don't excel at anything statwise and their lack of signature moves or abilities means that they don't stand out much*.

Their typings are just so dull, too. Considering they were designed to reflect New York's melting pot culture they should have gone all out with really diverse, unusual typings. Serperior could have been Grass/Electric or Grass/Dark or even, at a stretch, Grass/Dragon. Emboar could have been Fire/Ground or even Fire/Dark with a little tweaking. Samurott could have been Water/Fighting or possibly Water/Steel again. There was so much more that could have been done with these three but I find them so uninspiring.

Sorry, this turned into a rant and I didn't mean it to.

*The Tepig line got Heat Crash but it's an extremely underwhelming situational move highly outclassed by pretty much all others

and their lack of signature moves or abilities means that they don't stand out much*.
*The Tepig line got Heat Crash but it's an extremely underwhelming situational move highly outclassed by pretty much all others
Leaf Tornado, Razor Shell? Granted they weren't exclusives on debut and aren't particularly good, but they are heavily associated with the Snivy and Oshawott lines.

Ez
I don't understand the hype for Pokemon Legends Arceus and i dislike the game, it is just a shallow catching simulator that looks like an unfinished prototype. I hope that they will still make traditionnal Pokemon games after this one because almost everything i like about Pokemon isn't in this title.
That’s a gross simplification. Yes, the games look like N64, but there’s more to it. While you need to catch at least one of every Pokémon to get Arceus, but there’s so much variety on how to get Pokédex Data. You can battle, catch, feed, or use certain styles to fill data, and it makes the Pokédex filling more engaging than before.

And It’s more than just filling the Pokédex. I can’t tell you how exciting to explore new areas and finding Pokémon. I can’t tell you how excited I was when I managed to encounter Luxray and Staraptor at the top of Lake Verity through Wyrdeer. And the best part was catching the wild Togekiss soaring who became part of my team. That exploration aspect was what was so missing from SwSh.

On topic of Unova Starters, Emboar gets a lot of dislike because it’s the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row and competitive wise, it’s the arguably the worst.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Ez

That’s a gross simplification. Yes, the games look like N64, but there’s more to it. While you need to catch at least one of every Pokémon to get Arceus, but there’s so much variety on how to get Pokédex Data. You can battle, catch, feed, or use certain styles to fill data, and it makes the Pokédex filling more engaging than before.

And It’s more than just filling the Pokédex. I can’t tell you how exciting to explore new areas and finding Pokémon. I can’t tell you how excited I was when I managed to encounter Luxray and Staraptor at the top of Lake Verity through Wyrdeer. And the best part was catching the wild Togekiss soaring who became part of my team. That exploration aspect was what was so missing from SwSh.

On topic of Unova Starters, Emboar gets a lot of dislike because it’s the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row and competitive wise, it’s the arguably the worst.
Emboar’s statline is one of the cases being “slow and frail” and “high HP, poor Defenses”. If Pignite and Emboar’s base Defense and Special Attack are swapped, it’ll certainly have a distinct niche in comparison to Blaziken and Infernape by being physically bulkier.

I do think that the Unova final evo starters felt weak for a reason, in that the typing and statline make them feels half-baked to their otherwise good to great designs. I do wish Hisuian Samurott is a little more visually distinct though.

Now, let me be clear about one thing; first impression (the term, not the Pokémon move) isn’t everything.

A good design is helpful to make fans interested with your character, but good design only carries it so far before the flaws catches up and undermining it. There are plenty of people who only cares about the characters’ design and nothing else, so I suggest against catering for them if you want to make a genuinely good character / Pokémon / what-you-have.

There are, sadly, some examples where some Pokémon have good or at least interesting design, but fall flat quickly once you did give it a try.
  • Spinda‘s in-game sprite utilize personality ID or whatever could be to give it unique spots on the head, but everything else about it is bad.
  • Castform’s gimmick to change appearance if Sun, Rain or Hail is active sounds appealing for weather-themed teams in casual playthrough and might give it versatility, but it’s master-of-none stat and poor movepool makes it unappealing for those who did tried.
  • Seviper’s design is fierce and tough-looking like Zangoose, but aside of the fact that both‘s BST are 458 - doesn’t even making sense for something known for intense rivalry - while decent in playthrough outside of B2W2’s lategame due to power creep, have no place in competitive due to a combination of poor bulk and low Speed, and not hard-hitting enough to compensate these issues.
  • Crabrawler’s design show promises, but then it evolve into the slow and someweak frail Crabominable. While I personally like the line’s design, it does feels like a letdown due to something similar to Seviepr’s issues.
  • Galarian Ponyta’s design is adorable and distinct from standard Ponyta. Galarian Rapidash, though, is just a larger Galarian Ponyta without wings or anything more distinct from both Galarian Ponyta or standard Rapidash, making feeling underwhelming.

But at the end of the day everything boils down to filling the Pokédex. Even the post-game, when in every other mainline game you can choose what to focus on, and, save for the odd useful item, the Pokédex can be ignored with virtually no repercussions.

And you can't just grab 6 Pokémon you want to use and carry them through the entire game like in any other game in the series (many spin-offs included). You have to search, look, catch and perhaps even use Pokémon you don't want.

And I get what could be said: the setting means it cannot be done in any other way... but if that's the case, then they should have used a different setting.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
But at the end of the day everything boils down to filling the Pokédex. Even the post-game, when in every other mainline game you can choose what to focus on, and, save for the odd useful item, the Pokédex can be ignored with virtually no repercussions.

And you can't just grab 6 Pokémon you want to use and carry them through the entire game like in any other game in the series (many spin-offs included). You have to search, look, catch and perhaps even use Pokémon you don't want.

And I get what could be said: the setting means it cannot be done in any other way... but if that's the case, then they should have used a different setting.
While I was initially cold on Legends: Arceus as well, it has grown on me. However, I will agree I do not see the entire way Legends: Arceus does things should carry over to the core series. Some things sure, but Legends: Arcues I feel should be its own thing, maybe a series, maybe something that gets a new game in its genre everyone once in a blue moon.

I mainly say this because you CANNOT go into Legends: Arceus just thinking it's another Pokemon game. It's a completely different genre with different expectations of the player. You are to do two things in it: (1.) Play the main story and unravel the mystery of Hisui and (2.) Fill out that Pokedex and it's achievements or whatever they're called. While the first is a gimme, it's that second one which I can see losing players both when they start out and just altogether. I think you're honestly expected that, after playing some story in one game session, to spend the next session or two leveling up the Dex and getting the next star rank. The stars are essentially your Badges, the more you get the more tools you get like better Poke Balls, Potions, more money for each Pokemon caught, and higher level of Pokemon will listen to you. In addition, while you're doing this, you're gathering resources to make said Poke Balls and Potions (yes you can buy them but you're going to want to save your money to buy new bag slots, recipes, special merchant offers, and probably others things I haven't seen yet (and if needed can buy emergency stock)). A BIG part of L:A is filling out the dex, and that's something new and different players are going to have to adapt to really fast.

And therein lies one issue I have. Now that I have 6-7 stars I feel I've hit my stride and have access to a nice selection of Poke Balls & Potions for anything I come across (as well getting a nice amount of money from reports). But starting out? It can be VERY overwhelming, especially since they made many of the early Pokemon more willing to run away. Luckily Shinx are always willing to battle so they'll be your first "have this Pokemon us X amount of a certain move"... though even they eventually will get all knocked out and you have to wait a game cycle for them to come back (later in the game you'll find more Pokemon willing to battle instead of run but early it can be frustrating). They also expect you to get good at the catching because some Pokemon require you to catch them unnoticed (don't know why, what does it matter if they know or didn't know I was gonna catch them? Catching a Pokemon unnoticed should be more of a bonus thing so you don't have to deal with a Pokemon attacking you while fumbling with the controls to plan your next action). But back on point, they really should have locked off some achievements and have them become available after getting a certain number of stars so players don't feel overwhelmed by each Pokemon have a giant list of achievements. Also, said list of achievements should REALLY ease off on some of the demands. Like, each one wants you to catch (or evolve, just found that out) 25 of each species! WHY? Also what is being gained using a certain move 15+ times? The numbers are WAY overinflated.

So I guess my controversial/unpopular opinion with all that said: I wouldn't mind seeing the achievements added to the core series, but SEVERELY cut down in how many times you're requires to do each one. Though at least in the core series you don't run out of Pokemon to catch...

I think the problem therein is that mass-catching mons doesn't endear you to them as you would if you primarily just catch Pokemon you intend to use and/or like. You can't really grow attached when they're used like that - which, to be fair, is in line with the general mentality trend of players towards the series. Increasingly, people view Pokemon as disposable - a means to an end that don't last beyond the game. Legends just takes that to its logical extreme.

On the plus side, I suppose it allows them to technically bring back the iconic catchphrase, "gotta catch em all", beacuse you literally have to catch them all lol.

I think the problem therein is that mass-catching mons doesn't endear you to them as you would if you primarily just catch Pokemon you intend to use and/or like. You can't really grow attached when they're used like that - which, to be fair, is in line with the general mentality trend of players towards the series. Increasingly, people view Pokemon as disposable - a means to an end that don't last beyond the game. Legends just takes that to its logical extreme.

On the plus side, I suppose it allows them to technically bring back the iconic catchphrase, "gotta catch em all", beacuse you literally have to catch them all lol.
I definitely feel that the mindset is a result of changes to the gameplay, rather than the cause. There's been less stuff to do with a particular mon after the credits, competitive always requires a high replacement rate, and there's no information on if or when any given mon will be able to participate in any new content.

I definitely feel that the mindset is a result of changes to the gameplay, rather than the cause. There's been less stuff to do with a particular mon after the credits, competitive always requires a high replacement rate, and there's no information on if or when any given mon will be able to participate in any new content.
Well, I think like most things, there's no one single answer. I just highlighted the end result of the trend: the cause(s) are far more varied. A lack of postgame content, variance in competitive, Dexit potentially yeeting your mons into the dungeon, intentional GF game design, etc., are all valid contributors to the trend.

For me personally, Pokemon are friends. Some might get more 1 on 1 time, but they're all important to me. I've literally never reset a game, and I still have Pokemon that I used when I was 8 yrs old.

Contrast this to a friend of mine who only recently (~2 years) got back into Pokemon since quitting in the Gen 4 era, and he's played through SwSh 3 times now on the same cart. I asked him if he was storing his mons on Home between saves - he can't be bothered.

There's no right answer to which mentality is better (obviously) but the trend is there.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I feel like part of the issue that can spawn that kind of mentality is that the goal of completing the Pokedex in the games increasingly became a secondary concern as more and more games came in the series and time went on.

Completing the Pokedex is pretty fun in PLA imo, and I'm really enjoying my time with doing so thus far. That being said, this isn't the first time completing the Pokedex was meant to be a primary goal of a Pokémon game. In fact, the thing with that is that the goal of completing the Dex was a core aspect of the original Pokémon games: Red and Green (or as the rest of the world knows it, Red and Blue). Gen 1, the very first Pokemon games ever, had completing the Pokedex as one of the goals of the game. After all, as already mentioned, the catchphrase "Gotta catch 'em all" was prominent back in Gen 1. Professor Oak even made it clear at the beginning of the game that he gave you the Pokedex with the goal of wanting you to catch all 150 mons in Kanto and create a complete and comprehensive guide to all the Pokémon in the Kanto region. Catching them all was a major goal to do in that game, besides the whole "Beat 8 Gyms, the Elite Four, and become Champion" and whatnot. Still, catching every mon in the Pokedex and completing it was a goal that was the core of what made RGBY what they were, and an explicit goal Professor Oak said back then. The games were made to be played by catching them all, and the Gen 1 mons were designed with a power curve so you would box earlier catches for later ones and whatnot so you always had room for every mon out there. Moreover, RGBY and their remakes FRLG and LGPE even reward you for successfully catching a certain number of mons at various story checkpoints with Professor Oak's aides out there waiting to see if you've caught a certain number of mons and giving you a reward in return, FRLG even requires you catch at least 60 to unlock the National Dex and postgame, encouraging you to catch as many mons as you can.

That being said, as time went on the goal of completing the Dex became more and more of a secondary concern as the games in the series started to focus on other things. Now there's post-game battling that only certain mons can survive in, whether it be battle facilities or VGC, and the games from Gen 4 onwards have focused more on that aspect, and also nowadays Pokemon games really push the notion that the mons you catch are your friends and partners, which really encourages you to stick with the mons you use as well as just use the mons you like/want. Nowadays there's also more focus on interacting with your Pokemon outside of battle and playing with them too, which reinforces this, as the games since Gen 6 have had ways to play with your mons outside of battle and whatnot, PLA itself does have this though.

Of course, that's not to say that the goal ceased to exist, but in games after Gen 1/2 that became more of a secondary concern and afterthought than before. PLA is going back to the roots of a core aspect of Gen 1 and making it a primary goal of the game, but after so many years of enforcing the mentality that Pokemon are your friends and partners and the games going in a variety of different directions after Gen 3, the "Complete the Pokedex" mission is practically less of a concern for many people and so for some people that might put people off of how PLA is designed. Plus, the other thing is that the audience that enjoys Pokemon has grown much larger over the years and the franchise is so long running with so many games that do different things now that people will always value and prioritize different aspects of Pokemon: everyone's reason for playing Pokemon is different. Yes, some people still do make it their personal goal to complete the Pokedex, but that's not the entirety of the audience who plays Pokemon. So PLA might be a turn off for some people by taking that aspect, which was mainly a core goal in the Kanto games, and making it a core goal in this game, of course with some major changes to how you complete the Pokedex.

With all that said, I don't think PLA's whole Pokedex being a core focus and the way you need to do research tasks for each Pokemon and whatnot will be something that fully encapsulates every mainline game going forward. I said it in another thread, but I think we may see a wider variety of mainline Pokemon games taking different directions going forward: we already saw it with Gen 8/the Switch games thus far, with Let's Go: Pikachu and Eevee as a Pokemon Go-styled game, Sword and Shield being a "traditional" mainline game, and Legends: Arceus being an experimental action adventure RPG, and Gen 9 could have a similar degree of variety. I don't think the traditional mainline games at this point are going away anytime soon: the base Gen 9 games will probably be closer to SwSh and past mainline games in terms of design of traditional 8 Gyms+Elite Four+Champion and becoming Champion, having a battle facility, other minigame features, and multiplayer as well as an official VGC and BSS format. I think every generation from here on will have at least one of that: that's not going away anytime soon. But from there we could see some more experimental titles existing alongside the traditional ones. I don't think PLA by itself is indicative of what every mainline title will be like moving forward: sure, Gen 9 will probably adopt some things from PLA gameplay wise, but I'm sure it will still largely stay close to a traditional mainline Pokemon experience.

Still, catching every mon in the Pokedex and completing it was a goal that was the core of what made RGBY what they were, and an explicit goal Professor Oak said back then. The games were made to be played by catching them all, and the Gen 1 mons were designed with a power curve so you would box earlier catches for later ones and whatnot so you always had room for every mon out there. Moreover, RGBY and their remakes FRLG and LGPE even reward you for successfully catching a certain number of mons at various story checkpoints with Professor Oak's aides out there waiting to see if you've caught a certain number of mons and giving you a reward in return, FRLG even requires you catch at least 60 to unlock the National Dex and postgame, encouraging you to catch as many mons as you can.
The thing is, while encouraged, you could just choose to not do that. Glitches notwithstanding, you can play RGBY and FRLG with only two Pokémon (Squirtle + something with Cut, or Bulbasaur/Charmander + something with Surf), literally not catching anything else, and the game won't stop you.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
And yet, it is marketed as a mainline game. A mainline game that cannot be played like a mainline game.
That's because "mainline" has essentially been made into it's own genre with a few subgenre within it.

• First subgenre, which was used to be only known as the mainline series, is the "Core series" which is the game that follows the standard gameplay we come to recognize a Pokemon game with: RBY, GSC, RSE, FRLG, DPPt, HGSS, BW, BW2, XY, ORAS, SM, USUM, SwSh, & the recent being, sadly enough, BDSP.

• Second subgenre is what caused this split to happen: Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee. GF originally said LGPE were in the same category as the core series, BUT backlash to that, and maybe even themselves realizing the gameplay being different enough with them using the GO catching mechanic and stripping away some mechanics such as Abilities and held items, made them decide otherwise. To not go back on their word LGPE is indeed a mainline series game, BUT that's because they're now splitting mainline games into subgenres. Hence, we now have the "Core series" and the "Let's Go series".

• Now I'm curious whether this splitting of the mainline games into subgenre led GF to thinking that mainline games could now be more than just what the core series offered. Legends: Arceus certainly pushes the definition, adding a new "Legends series" subgenre, with gameplay that's now mostly different except for the occasional turn-based battle. Because, if it wasn't for the Let's Go category debacle, would Legends have been considered a side game? I say this with the Colosseum games in mind, which play more like a traditional Pokemon game than either Let's Go and Legends, though it's still considered a side game. "Well GF didn't make them". That does certainly seem like one of the new criteria we'd need to use to recognize a mainline game now, but it can't be the only one (and I don't want what's considered to be a mainline game be strictly what GF says it to be).

Though, who knows, if Let's Go and Legends turn out to be one-offs (or entries in their series are rare) and they make more "one-off" entries under the mainline umbrella maybe the subgenre's will shift again to two: "Core series" and everything else falling under "Expanded series".

The “unwaivoring emotions” music from Black and White is overdramatic and corny. I have never felt an emotional tug with it, I just get embarrassed whenever it comes on. It’s trying entirely too hard.

I’m legitimately shocked by how many people I’ve seen say they love the tune to bits and that it’s legitimately sentimental to them. I guess it’s just a case of playing the game at a younger age when that sort of thing hits less critically? I was 17 on my first playthrough of the games and didn’t get much out of it, especially given the Bianca story leading into it is like two interactions before this and poof, done. Perhaps I’ve just got terrible taste since other tunes people find sentimental like SM64’s water level music don’t hit me either.

The “unwaivoring emotions” music from Black and White is overdramatic and corny. I have never felt an emotional tug with it, I just get embarrassed whenever it comes on. It’s trying entirely too hard.

I’m legitimately shocked by how many people I’ve seen say they love the tune to bits and that it’s legitimately sentimental to them. I guess it’s just a case of playing the game at a younger age when that sort of thing hits less critically? I was 17 on my first playthrough of the games and didn’t get much out of it, especially given the Bianca story leading into it is like two interactions before this and poof, done. Perhaps I’ve just got terrible taste since other tunes people find sentimental like SM64’s water level music don’t hit me either.
What about Mystery Dungeon?

What about Mystery Dungeon?
I honestly don’t remember this tune at all. I haven’t played Mystery Dungeon 2 since the summer of 2008. It was a banger and I had lots of fun with it, but I don’t remember being hit hard at all by the ending because I figured there was still an expansive post game ahead of me like PMD 1 and anything like the hero leaving wasn’t permanent. That ending for sure is about the best Pokémon being dramatic will get in the games though. It’s far more earned than anything the other song plays for.

But ultimately I don’t really feel anything relistening to this. I would say in terms of eliciting emotion, I’ve mostly only really gotten pogs and nods from listening to Pokémon songs for the first time. The only real exceptions to this are some long winded enthusiastic “DAMN!”s from more nostalgic tracks like the HGSS National Park and the recent PLA woods theme.

I think it’s worth admitting: I was actually a *huge* baby and cried when I heard the BDSP intro music because it really did send me back 15 years to being in middle school watching the Japanese intro to DPP on IGN back in the fall of 2006 and being amazed. That said, I fully acknowledge that’s a personal experience only thing.

I think there is something to this, though I would say it's only half nostalgia, the other half is simply the music playing or being envisioned within the context of the game scenes.

To pull from Mystery Dungeon again for examples, two songs that spring to mind for me are Through the Sea of Time and Don't Ever Forget from near the end of the main story. The songs themselves, when I listen to them in isolation, feel like they elicit the response sort of reflexively from the instrument choice despite being fairly short loops and somewhat simple compositions. That said, they're tied to the two moments that comprise the emotional wham shots of what is already considered one of Pokemon's harder hitting stories. A large part of the impact is because they bring to mind scenes that they are meant to complement and play over, moreso than substitute and encompass. If the scenes aren't brought to mind or didn't have the same affect on you, it might dampen the emotional weight of the corresponding songs as well for that reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)