UnderUsed Teambuilding Lab (Check Post #479)

Status
Not open for further replies.
dunsparce86 here it is man.

Azelf @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Tornadus (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 136 HP / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Rain Dance

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Boomburst

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet / Aerial Ace / Knock Off

This team really didn't take all too long to build because rain is generally just a straight forward play style so there was no need for me really try and get to overly creative with the core. To start off we have a damp rock lead rain setter in azelf with rocks. The special wall breaking core consists of LO kingdra + specs noivern. I really liked the idea of specs noivern because flying is arguably the best STAB in UU and specs hurricanes that don't miss seemed kinda fun along with out speeding a lot of the meta. LO kingdra just smacks stuff stupidly hard and can open up a lot of holes for the rest of the team.

The Physical core consists of Mega Pert + LO kabutops. PuP on pert is nice so you can PuP on per say a reuniclus or a cresselia who are trying to check you and recover off rain turns. You can then proceed to smack them with +1 rain boosted waterfalls or PuP again for another boost. LO kabutops is just a standard SD sweeper set, but I didn't really know what to throw on for the last slot so you can either go jet for priority, aerial ace to SD on a chesnaught switch and lure it, or knock off to hit something like empoleon harder.

Rain is generally a difficult style to have success with in UU because we have a good variety of walls to check rain threats, but I wish you the best of luck if you decide to use it. Enjoy!
Thanks man.

I played the team a while on the ladder now and it is definetly fun. Sure, it has a hard time in UU like my own try on a rain team, but most of the time this team worked pretty decent for me.

Keep up the great work.

Cloyster @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Memento

This is a core I've been just struggling to build with and would like to see how others have a take on it and such, and mainly try to improve my own building when it comes to a core that share some common weaknesses and can't really switch-in on too much. I've always liked Cloyster but due to its very low SpD and mediocre offense without a boost, I've had quite a troubling time trying to even build around it on its lonesome, but theoretically pairing it with Choice Specs Chandelure would help it immensely, as Chandelure can weaken a lot of Pokemon that Cloyster would appreciate being weakened or even removed, such as Suicune and Mega Aggron. The Cloyster set is pretty much unchangeable but the Chandelure, on the other hand, is pretty much interchangeable since a lot of options work well here, such as Memento Choice Scarf and SubCM. From what I can tell those variants all help Cloyster quite a bit. Sorry if this is unacceptable due to the B- or above restriction based on the viability rankings but I've been very keen to see how good builders would build around a core like this and I've also been interested in using a Cloyster team for a very long time now, I also believe that Cloyster isn't too mediocre for this anyways. Preferably I'd like the end result to be one of balance / bulky offense / hyper offense but seeing what the core is, I doubt any of the builders would be able to make any stall variant with it anyhow.
Cloyster @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Hydro Pump
- Explosion

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Memento

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Explosion

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Encore
- U-turn

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Here's the team with Cloyster+Chandelure, though the sets are slightly different than the ones in your post. While it seemed from your post like you were trying to use Chandelure to support a Cloyster sweep, instead I tried to use Cloyster to support its teammates. Namely, with Explosion, it could actually lure and take out almost all of Cobalion's normal counters with the exception of Jellicent. Explosion takes out every bulky Water-type that thinks it can take a +2 attack, helping Cobalion a lot, while Hydro Pump with the given SpA EVs lets Cloyster take out Doublade and Cobalion. Thinking I wanted to go with the HO route, I gave Chandelure a Choice Scarf and used lead Azelf, and gave Cobalion Stone Edge and a Shuca Berry to help deal with several more of its checks such as Nidoqueen, EQ Mega Aero, and Salamence. Whimsicott was too good not to use here, giving me a needed Water resist and saving me from several key Scarfers, most importantly Hydreigon. I went with an offensive variant with Energy Ball; Memento could work but two Memento users would never really work out in practice (though it could make it easier to setup Cloyster vs a Beedrill or something), and I felt that I didn't need Stun Spore given the speed of the rest of my team. The last slot is probably the most replaceable, I went with Mega Sharpedo since it also benefits from Cloyster taking out bulky Waters and Steels (double water is really good). I could see Mega Swampert being okay here as well, it also gives an Electric immunity, but you should be careful with Rain Dance alongside Chandelure.

TL;DR used Explosion cloyster to support the rest of an HO team instead of focusing on an actual Cloyster sweep.
+2 40 SpA Life Orb Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 368-434 (113.9 - 134.3%) (benefits Sharpedo and Cobalion)

+2 40 SpA Life Orb Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 320-378 (100.3 - 118.4%) (benefits Cobalion and Whimsicott)

+2 40 SpA Life Orb Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Mega Aggron: 259-305 (75.2 - 88.6%) (benefits Sharpedo, Cobalion, Whimsicott)

+2 216 Atk Life Orb Cloyster Explosion vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Empoleon: 304-357 (81.9 - 96.2%) (benefits Whimsicott and Chandelure)

+2 216 Atk Life Orb Cloyster Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 360-425 (89.1 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO (benefits Cobalion, Sharpedo, Chandelure)

+2 216 Atk Life Orb Cloyster Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 459-541 (116.7 - 137.6%) (benefits Cobalion)

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I figure I'll put one of my own up here...

Dragalge @ Draco Plate / Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Dragon Tail / Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Memento / Sucker Punch / Pursuit

So, Dragalge + Duggy is a combination that I've really enjoyed building around in the past, but haven't had a ton of success with in the current meta. It's pretty simple - Duggy traps grounded poison types and things like Empoleon that can safely switch into Dragalge, while Dragalge lays T-Spikes and tosses around ridiculous Dracos and Sludge Waves. This duo can easily be split into bulky offense or semi-stall, depending on how you want to build around it. Feel free to mess around with EVs and sets, but keep max SpAtt, Adaptability and Draco Meteor/Sludge Wave on Dragalge, please - if you're not using its crazy wallbreaking potential, then there are better T-Spikers out there.

Anyhow, like I said, I've already got a pair of teams that work with this core, but neither is that great in the current meta. I'd love to see a fresh pair of eyes come up with something.

Well, considering I've been out of the meta for quite a while it'd be cool to get a bit of help to get straight back into it.

For those of you who don't know, I'm one of those stall "(BAN ME PLEASE)s" on the ladder, and I'll be in need of a new stall team that addresses some of the common sets that I'm not so aware of now, and I see there is a great lack of stall teams on this thread :(

I'd like it to be based around the following core:
Blissey + Aromatisse + Steel-type

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect / Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock / Toxic

This core basically single handedly checks every mon in the tier without attack investment or a boosting move and more, making it an excellent addition for most stall teams. Blissey is already a god at walling the good majority of the tiers special attackers, but struggles a lot with Physical Fighting-type, which Aromatisse handles the majority of in the tier. It also handles most mixed Hydreigon aimed at destroying Blissey and other Dragon and Dark-types. In return Blissey walls a lot of Poison-types that give Aromatisse problems. The core also gives a lot support in 2 giant wish passers to keep themselves and the team healthy way into the late game as well as good status control in Aromatherapy and Natural Cure and even SR if Blissey chooses to run it, meaning the only thing really needed to add is hazard removal and the rest of the team is free to be pretty much whatever. There are still quite a few threats though that give this core lots of trouble, notably CM Chande and Reun as well as others which the team will have to deal with, but there are still 4 team slots remaining that make this core really easy to build defensive teams with.

Feel free to get a bit creative with the steel pokemon used to round off the core, as I know there are several viable options that do the trick quite well. You may also want to switch out Wish on Blissey for something else if you feel the need, but I do like those giant wishes.

Note that I do want this to be close to a full-stall team, so every Pokemon should be able to switch-in quite easily against some mons in the metagame, and only one non-bulky offensive Pokemon max.

So I went the semistall route with the squad and added Empoleon to compete a fire-grass-water core. After that I added two calm mind sweepers in Florges and Roarcune. After that I added a stallbreaker Hydreigon that can be used to tear through opposing balance squads. Tangrowth is vital to the team as it provides consistent physically defensive support and beats gatr. The idea of this team is to use Camerupt to weaken steel types and other deterrents to a cm Florges sweep. The suicune+florges calm mind core benefits from each other to slowly but surely break through the opposition. The team is entirely specially offensive which means that you can try and overload the usual one special wall on the team. This doesn't mean it loses to special walls however, as Florges loses to the calm mind combo and Blissey and Co get insanely pressured by taunt roost hydreigion. When all is said and done you should be cruising to a calm mind sweep n_n
Villa
Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Relaxed Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder
- Earthquake/Focus Blast

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic/Roar

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Scald
- Rest

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Synthesis
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

Hello guys :] I am kinda new to the UU meta game and I would love to use a (viable) team that is centered around offensive Tornadus and Mamoswine. Here are the following sets.

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hurricane
- Taunt/Rain Dance
- Focus Blast
-----------------------------------
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Preferred team choices include something to take care of Cress, anything from HO to Bulky Offense/Balance is welcome of course.

here is the LO 4 attacks hoopa tailwind offense team requested by LetMeShine-

Pidgeot-Mega (Tornadus) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

husky buhl (Darmanitan) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

shark b8 (Sharpedo) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Crunch
- Protect

sanik (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Psychic
- Explosion

doge (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Hoopla (Hoopa) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

As some of you guys may know, I recently put out an RMT based around tailwind offense and I thought hoopa could fit on it as well and be decently effective. For this team I replaced it with hydreigon because it made the most sense to and it still fills a similar role to what hydrei does. It is a powerful special wall breaker with fighting coverage. If you want to see in depth descriptions you can click the link in my signature for the RMT, but I'll do some quick descriptions anyways.

So for our lead and what I usually put on 99% of my HO teams is a lead rocker azelf. Prevents SR and gets em up and booms, quite simple. Our tailwind setter is a life orb tornadus who has prankster support with tailwind and can deal massive amounts of damage with life orb hurricanes. The physical core consists of CB Darm+Mega Pedo+Lucario. They all compliment each other nicely and open up massive holes for the others to exploit. Lastly we have the LO hoopa to smash holes as well. Hoopa is extremely dangerous when paired with speed control to benefit it and can really dent opponents teams and open up holes like the rest of the crew.

With hoopa added and hydreigon out, the Team is opened up to doublade but between the physical core you should be able to manage it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-275090261

this was the lone replay I got. It was a battle in the 1500's against a OTR reun + hoopa team. Tornadus And hoopa cleared out sharpedos checks and the rest was history. Got a little scary with OTR reun but, pedo pulled it out

Hope you like it!

Last edited:

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover

I've always wanted to build around Acid Armor Reuniclus but then I realized I don't know how to play UU. Seems like a pretty underrated set, and can be pretty effective once Steel- and Dark-type Pokemon are taken out. I'm not really sure on the spread either so I left it as the standard Calm Mind one, but you guys can fiddle around with the EVs if you want. I could see some partners being Fighting-types, and I'm looking for more of a bulky offensive team.
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Acid Armor
- Psyshock

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Building around Acid Armor Reuniclus turned out to be really hard because whenever I tried to build BO it would always expose too many weaknesses to stuff like Sharpedo, Hydreigon, and Beedrill. So I ended up building basically a stall team. Initially I wanted Toxic Spikes to limit opposing Krookodile and Sharpedo (and more) as much as possible, so I experimented with most of the viable TSpikers and decided that Nidoqueen would be the best fit on this team. The rest of the team kind of fell into place after I tried a bunch of different combinations at checking as many threats as possible. Some of the choices are pretty variable like the last moveslots on Nidoqueen/Aggron, Moonlight or Protect on Umbreon, and even the team members themselves. Biggest weakness to the team is LO Taunt Hydreigon which can be mitigated a bit by using Blissey over Umbreon.

Not sure what else to say; like I said building around Reuniclus without being hugely weak to certain threats was really tough. I don't even think this is too great of a team lol but it's the best I was able to come up with.

Edit: oh yeah I dumped a lot of SpA and a Life Orb into Reuniclus, you should still be able to set up on and beat stuff like Cobalion and Aerodactyl as long as you don't get haxed.

Well it's officially been a week since my first request and after building Fire/Water/Grass with some great success I was curious to see a builders spin on using the core compared to mine in the RMT forums.

+
+

Whimsicott @ Leftovers / Pixie Plate
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore/Stun Spore

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock/Defog
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Grass Knot/Flash Cannon

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Taunt/Protect
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot

Pretty basic offensive core and these three work amazingly well together. Whimsicott covers fighting and ground types that are a threat to Empoleon/Mega Houndoom. Empoleon taking shots from Flying, Steel, Ice, Poison and Bug which Whimsicott hates. Empoleon and Whimsicott cover Mega Houndoom's Water weakness while it covers Fire which the other two are not a fan of taking. I found this core worked so well as it can check some of the biggest threats including Feraligatr, Hyndreigon, Salamence and Reuniclus. I only ask when building around this core that none of these be replaced though their moves, nature and EVs can be changed around to fit better for the team.

Must be Christmas

+

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
Filler
Filler
Filler

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Knock Off

These are two different pokemon similar to Arcanine and Entei. This mamoswine set is really cool and I wish it wouldnt be changed. Sorry to be difficult but this set works great with glalie. Of course the two have many common weaknesses but their offensive potential varies. I have no doubt that one of you will make something cool out of this core. Qwilfish seems to work really well covering beedrill, fighting, and entei. Bulk water lures are cool. Maybe glalie can explode on waters leaving a path for mamo... i dont know. Do what you want with it. Thanks in advance.

Hahaha I finally made it work! Do A Bibarel

I've got some CASH HO for you. The Team features a lot of cool things that include: Semi bulky Dragalge, Dark pulse Heliolisk, and Snow Ball Cobalion. LOL you probably don't know what snow ball does. Any way this team not only has a lot of offensive pressure but has the typing synergy to take hits from common UU threats. Hax is also no a huge issue. I've climbed back a ton from Focus Blast and Iron Tail misses. Usually I just dance around my opponents team until I can get a Slurpuff sweep. The Salamence is actually a really cool win condition. Prior to building this team, I never tried lum berry. An awesome idea that makes Salamence able to set up on a number of things without worry of T-wave, Wilo, or secondary hax.
One thing to be aware of it that this team is super weak to mega Aggron. It outspeeds and my slow stuff while walling my fast stuff pretty well. Tennis totally destroyed me with it earlier. I managed to beat it on ladder though. Alright here is the import.
Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 56 HP / 144 Atk / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Focus Blast

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpA / 72 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Dragon Tail

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Return
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum

Cobalion @ Snowball
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

So a few explanation:

Heliolisk has dark pulse because it comes in on ghost moves and would prefer to kill ghosts over doing volt switch damage. Heliolisk is my Shadow ball switch in as well as my shadow sneak switch. Doublade is the bigger issue here. I need to kill it off for my other pokemon to sweep/ thrive. Other pokemon include: Literally the rest of my team

Dragalge is a bulkier spread to take fireblasts from Chandelure. I have always fun max speed Dragalge to catch florges but it totally kills the potential this mon has. It can check so much more and still do great damage with little to no speed. It naturally beats out base 30s which puts it in a great position to be bulkier. For this team it helps a lot with the specially offensive threats.

Cobalion has a snow ball lol. This is great because I get the power of a predicted ice move without losing health from an item like life orb. This can be great against stall where I take an ice move for my salamence and then set up or kill off pokemon. I played around with it since Cobalion gets its item knock off a lot anyway. It doesnt work all the time but then again, it doesnt have to.
upload_2015-9-26_22-2-17.png

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-275156875 This one I fought back against sticky web and got into a position to set up with Salamence. Dragalge really helps with Mblastoise and galvantula in this one.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-275158860 Heliolisk applies a lot of pressure to this man's team. He has a mega aggron that gets beaten up. Slurpuff gets a bd off and helio cleans up.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-275162060 I missed a draco early on which means he could of one if he was RD pert. This replay shows off drag bulk and the offencive pressure of Abomasnow.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-275169342 I get haxed so bad but I pull threw. Empoleon is no trouble for this team. Thats great because i tend to lay up t spikes and rocks.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-275172670
The opposing Feraligatr used Ice Punch!
It's not very effective... Cobalion lost 17.6% of its health!
Cobalion's Snowball activated!
The Snowball raised Cobalion's Attack!

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
yeah i rly dont agree with snowball cobalion. 'it gets its item knocked off a lot' is hardly a good justification for using a mediocre situational item that doesnt even provide much use compared to stuff like lum berry or shuca berry. lets look at the ice types, switch in cobalion on an ice attack from mamo glalie aboma you beat them 1v1. switch it in on a beam from stoise or ice puch from gatr? lose to stoise and you take a ton from gatr (+1 doesnt change that). sd already provides the power you need. and what do you mean the item doesnt need to work all of the time lol. an item for a mon should work as best and / or consistently as possible. to quote the op 'This is not a competition to see how good we are at team building; this is us trying to educate people on what is good and how to build effective teams.' snowball cobalion is neither good nor consisntently and reliably effective to be worth using.

also this team kinda gets screwed vs entei, so wouldnt roost mence be a better choice? (ik its part of the core but the team really lacks anything for entei). you also kinda straight up lose to eq + stone edge aero as it is. this team is very very very very very weak to rocks and / or spike stacking so i dont know what youre doing with no prevention / removal. it also really doesnt have anything at all for stall.

Last edited:

So this team is built around a solid Aroma Bliss core which can wall most of the unboosted meta. Mega Steelix is the mega, steel type, and most importantly the volturn deterrent which sets it apart from Mega-aggron. Non cm cune fits nicely on the team as a bulky water type and has so much longevity and stall power through pressure and rest. The team is rounded off with a cheese double defog duo. Salamence checks a lot of the sweepers in the middling speed tier range like Heracross,Toxicroak, Lucario,etc. Mandibuzz is the hoopa check and provides taunt roost support. This team is customizable based on your preferences. Wish on Blissey is an option over Counter. If you are comfortable with only one defogger then mandibuzz can run a taunt toxic roost set to handle bulky teams better. Bulky Moltres is an option over Salamence(which I really like) as willo spam is godly but it has the inherent risk of a rocks liability. Salamence can also change a lot of its moves depending on what you want to hit. Mandibuzz can run 60 or even more speed depending on your preference.
RowDog

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

Salamence @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Aerial Ace
- Defog

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Counter
- Seismic Toss

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Healer
Relaxed Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Last edited:
here is the LO 4 attacks hoopa tailwind offense team requested by LetMeShine-

Pidgeot-Mega (Tornadus) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

husky buhl (Darmanitan) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

shark b8 (Sharpedo) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Crunch
- Protect

sanik (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Psychic
- Explosion

doge (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Hoopla (Hoopa) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

As some of you guys may know, I recently put out an RMT based around tailwind offense and I thought hoopa could fit on it as well and be decently effective. For this team I replaced it with hydreigon because it made the most sense to and it still fills a similar role to what hydrei does. It is a powerful special wall breaker with fighting coverage. If you want to see in depth descriptions you can click the link in my signature for the RMT, but I'll do some quick descriptions anyways.

So for our lead and what I usually put on 99% of my HO teams is a lead rocker azelf. Prevents SR and gets em up and booms, quite simple. Our tailwind setter is a life orb tornadus who has prankster support with tailwind and can deal massive amounts of damage with life orb hurricanes. The physical core consists of CB Darm+Mega Pedo+Lucario. They all compliment each other nicely and open up massive holes for the others to exploit. Lastly we have the LO hoopa to smash holes as well. Hoopa is extremely dangerous when paired with speed control to benefit it and can really dent opponents teams and open up holes like the rest of the crew.

With hoopa added and hydreigon out, the Team is opened up to doublade but between the physical core you should be able to manage it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-275090261

this was the lone replay I got. It was a battle in the 1500's against a OTR reun + hoopa team. Tornadus And hoopa cleared out sharpedos checks and the rest was history. Got a little scary with OTR reun but, pedo pulled it out

Hope you like it!
Thanks you for this team, he looks pretty fun to play and pretty solid, it's all I wanted thanks again!

Edit: After some test, i'm just fan of this team *-*

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok so it is time for me to post something I really think is interesting and is very nostalgic...

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off / Substitute

This set looks like a ton of fun as many things can benefit from Swords Dance such as Mamoswine, Mega Sharpedo, Mega Swampert, Krookodile, Salamence, and so on. Another thing is that Mienshao can also benefit from Swords Dance itself and work a bit like Baton Pass Mega Absol in that it can BP out of its checks / counters.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 246-289 (68.3 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 236+ Def Salamence: 169-199 (43 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 347-409 (100.8 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 305-360 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 240 HP / 216+ Def Mandibuzz: 383-452 (90.9 - 107.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 231-273 (54.4 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 463-546 (109.1 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Slowking: 266-315 (67.6 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 304-359 (99.3 - 117.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 132 Def Whimsicott: 265-312 (82 - 96.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Obviously this should be used on an offensively oriented team as Mienshao is too frail to take hits and most of the recipients for Swords Dance are frail as well.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
TheMasterOP

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Krookodile @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 176 Def / 184 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

So, Mowtom + Beedrill is a pretty easy core to build around, and you can find a ton of good examples on how to build it. For a great take on the team archetype from a more offensive perspective, I recommend checking out Porygon2 Offense by Omfuga, which is probably one of the most defining teams of the current meta.

I took things in a more balanced route here. This team seeks to draw in and pressure things like Doublade and Cobalion to weaken them for a Snorlax sweep. The main draw of the team is a heavy VoltTurn presence combined with the best trapper in the metagame, CB Krook, who can punish things like Jellicent, Doublade or Chandelure that might otherwise hinder Snorlax from sweeping late-game. CB Krook also helps to take out grounded poison types and common Defoggers such as Empoleon and Crobat, which in turn helps Tentacruel's T-Spikes rack up damage.

So basically, the team approach is three-pronged: scout and weaken teams early game with VoltTurn, punish switches with Toxic Spikes, and trap and sweep late-game with Snorlax.

I did make some changes from your originally suggested core. In particular, I changed Beedrill to an Adamant nature, which gives it a far greater wallbreaking capacity - you miss out on the Speed ties with opposing Beedrill and Sceptile (the latter of whom doesn't KO you anyhow), and on outspeeding Scarf Chandelure (who isn't a major threat to the team), but the power you get in return is greatly needed. I also used Drill Run over Knock Off, as I have Krook for trapping and hitting Ghosts, and Drill Run provides some additional insurance against Cobalion and helps against grounded poison types such as Nidoqueen and Tentacruel, who want to switch in to absorb your T-Spikes.

Cobalion is a Shuca variant with Volt Switch, and if the opponent has something like Doublade, Jellicent or Chandelure, I recommend Volt Switching immediately after bringing Cobalion in. Since VS isn't standard on Cobalion, you can often get an early game trap that way. Shuca helps ease prediction against dangerous 'mons like Krookodile and Mamoswine, who can otherwise pose problems for the team.

In general this is one of the strongest balanced VoltTurn teams I've used in ORAS UU. In addition to using it in UU Open, where it got a solid win in round 5, in testing the team before open I pretty easily popped into top 5 of the ladder. Here are some replays I have with the team:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-88089 - UU Open round 5 versus Valentine.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-275291985 - Faced Turk when laddering this morning for some more replays.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-275299928 - Kind of a low ladder team, but a textbook example of Krook trapping a ghost early-game, Bee softening the team mid-game and Lax sweeping late-game.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-275302767 - T-Spikes help break down bulky teams for CB Krook and Beedrill to easily clean up.

Hope you enjoy the team!

EDIT: Oh, just saw you changed your request to Escavalier + Gastrodon. Sorry - but I hope you enjoy the BeeMow team anyhow!

Last edited:
Update my earlier core!

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Standard Chandie that absorbs fighting type moves and is able to revenge kill and even break holes in teams.

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Focus Blast

Wallbreaker Tornadus that can set up rain for the (potential) team.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Reactions: nv
yeah i rly dont agree with snowball cobalion. 'it gets its item knocked off a lot' is hardly a good justification for using a mediocre situational item that doesnt even provide much use compared to stuff like lum berry or shuca berry. lets look at the ice types, switch in cobalion on an ice attack from mamo glalie aboma you beat them 1v1. switch it in on a beam from stoise or ice puch from gatr? lose to stoise and you take a ton from gatr (+1 doesnt change that). sd already provides the power you need. and what do you mean the item doesnt need to work all of the time lol. an item for a mon should work as best and / or consistently as possible. to quote the op 'This is not a competition to see how good we are at team building; this is us trying to educate people on what is good and how to build effective teams.' snowball cobalion is neither good nor consisntently and reliably effective to be worth using.

also this team kinda gets screwed vs entei, so wouldnt roost mence be a better choice? (ik its part of the core but the team really lacks anything for entei). you also kinda straight up lose to eq + stone edge aero as it is. this team is very very very very very weak to rocks and / or spike stacking so i dont know what youre doing with no prevention / removal. it also really doesnt have anything at all for stall.
Hello Cyndequil. Change the item if you want :)

Last edited:

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
ok i guess i should address the points you made then. so basically what youre saying is that your 'favourable' entei match up is just sacking a bunch just so you can set up once, and thats assuming entei teams arent prepared for salamence (this is never the case). again, youre talking about switching in on aboma, glalie, and mamo to get the boost from their ice type attack. the truth is you dont even need the boost to be able to beat those pokemon. if they do switch out it will be most likely that they go to a coba answer anyway. having an item like shuca berry gives you a little more breathing room to switch in on them (coverage). oh and cobalion doesnt even need to be at full to beat them lol it just has to live 2 ice shards. yes i understand sd needs a turn to set up but if you end up having to switch out then what? (unless youre planning to sack cobalion just because it got the +1 boost). and again, sigh, just because a more consistent item like lum berry or shuca berry isnt used in a game doesnt mean you resort to gimmicks. when was the last time you saw absorb bulb chandelure on ho? or what about cell battery feraligatr? never. bwcause there are items that directly outclass it, same holds true for cobalion. ok no disrespect here, but how on earth can you say a team is supposed to lose to stall :/ are teams not supposed to, at least minimally handle all playstyles? and you wanna know how i came to that conclusion? lets take a sample stall team idk smth like bulky water / blissey / aroma / steel. well lets start with sd cobalion, do stall teams usually have bulky waters? yep, thats cobalion. as for slurpuff the steel types run on stall like maggron or megalix or forre easily beat that. not to mention if the team has cune it lives +6 and can roar it out if need be. aboma? blissey. in fact you mentioned it yourself, the team is weak to maggron, not an uncommon sight on semi stall / stall. ur only method of handling it is toxic spikes but you dont even have a method to keep them up (taunt/spinblocker) ill stipulate to the fact that you have ways of dealing with aero but dont say it isnt a big weakness, it definitely pressures your team a ton especially since you have no speedsters.

one final thing i think you should understand, i dont disrespect you or your teams, the effort you people put in this is admirable. however, this lab is supposed to help people who struggle with teambuilding, this would encompass relatively new people, therefore the teams made should be as easy to use and easy to understand as possible. giving them super niche options like snowball doesnt help. if someone new came to you and asked for a cobalion set for an ho team ill bet you wouldnt recommend snowball. in the interest of not making this thread an argument im dropping it.

edit: you changed your post zz

Last edited:
sorry for the delay on these, been busy as of late

R0ady

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

Krookodile @ Black Glasses
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

Forretress @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Florges @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Knock Off
- Giga Drain

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 136 SpD / 124 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald / Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Basically after a fuck ton of testing I was a lot more comfortable using Agility Amph on a more fat balance team, as it's pretty hard to fit on most offensive teams; the team itself is mainly to get rid of / weaken most of Amphy's switch-ins, as well as dealing with mons that are faster than it at +2 so it can sweep late-game. Volt Switch on Amph is used over Focus Blast because pivoting into stuff that commonly switches into it like Florges and Blissey and getting up free hazards with Forre is probably more important than having a little bit of extra coverage, although it can work here if you're afraid of Snorlax. I then wanted to add hazards to make it easier to clean vs late game obv, and Krook + Forre meshes really well on the type of build I wanted, as you get a Pursuit trapper, hazard control, Volt Switch immunity, etc. Toxic instead of Gyro Ball on Forretress so it can check SD Aboma better, as otherwise it just runs through this team, although Gyro Ball is certainly useful because HC Aero and especially fuckin puff are threats. Honestly though you could just run CB Krook + SR Forre if you want the team to have a little bit more oomph, although having the hazards helps out a lot against some defensive builds. Florges really is there for what it's placed on for most other balance squads, as having a solid Fighting / Dragon answer helps out a fuck ton, as well as being able to heal up Forre / Krook and get rid of status. Tangrowth + Jelli works out pretty nicely here as well as they can take on stuff like offensive waters, physical Fire-types, etc. SpD Jelli is used here to take hits from Nidos better, as they're kind of a pain to deal with.

I have a few other versions of the team I can post if you'd like R0ady, they are definitely not as passive but they're not as consistent...I know at first this kind of looks like a balance squad with AgiliAmph slapped on it, but it surprisingly has put in some work in the couple of games I played with it on the ladder :s

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
sorry for the delay on these, been busy as of late

R0ady

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

Krookodile @ Black Glasses
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

Forretress @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Florges @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Knock Off
- Giga Drain

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 136 SpD / 124 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald / Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Basically after a fuck ton of testing I was a lot more comfortable using Agility Amph on a more fat balance team, as it's pretty hard to fit on most offensive teams; the team itself is mainly to get rid of / weaken most of Amphy's switch-ins, as well as dealing with mons that are faster than it at +2 so it can sweep late-game. Volt Switch on Amph is used over Focus Blast because pivoting into stuff that commonly switches into it like Florges and Blissey and getting up free hazards with Forre is probably more important than having a little bit of extra coverage, although it can work here if you're afraid of Snorlax. I then wanted to add hazards to make it easier to clean vs late game obv, and Krook + Forre meshes really well on the type of build I wanted, as you get a Pursuit trapper, hazard control, Volt Switch immunity, etc. Toxic instead of Gyro Ball on Forretress so it can check SD Aboma better, as otherwise it just runs through this team, although Gyro Ball is certainly useful because HC Aero and especially fuckin puff are threats. Honestly though you could just run CB Krook + SR Forre if you want the team to have a little bit more oomph, although having the hazards helps out a lot against some defensive builds. Florges really is there for what it's placed on for most other balance squads, as having a solid Fighting / Dragon answer helps out a fuck ton, as well as being able to heal up Forre / Krook and get rid of status. Tangrowth + Jelli works out pretty nicely here as well as they can take on stuff like offensive waters, physical Fire-types, etc. SpD Jelli is used here to take hits from Nidos better, as they're kind of a pain to deal with.

I have a few other versions of the team I can post if you'd like R0ady, they are definitely not as passive but they're not as consistent...I know at first this kind of looks like a balance squad with AgiliAmph slapped on it, but it surprisingly has put in some work in the couple of games I played with it on the ladder :s
thanks man ill def play around with the squad, if i end up changing anything to fit my liking ill be sure to leave an update here :]

Small update on the team I built for boltsandbombers

Just got rank 1 with it

I've now played quite a few games with it and can confirm NP croak is heat and takes lives. It might be just as good as the physical set if not better in the current meta just because of how common doublade is.

I've also added earthquake over roost on aero as being able to check luke and getting better damage off on things like cobalion and empoleon is much more worthwhile. Pursuit is also proving quite useful as it can help weaken entei and various other grass types.

All in all the team is fun and really solid once you've played around with it for a bit.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
- Have a one paragraph description with the set / core you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be. Also, actually have the set(s) you want us to use in your post. This makes the process of building teams faster for all of us here.
Going to reiterate this rule as it seems like most posts are becoming "build around this pls" with little to no explanation and the builders really need some clarification with some cores posted so they can better build their teams and "keep it classy"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)