Project UnderUsed Teambuilding Competition - Week 7: Building! (Pangoro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
:ss/golurk: :ss/cobalion: :ss/xatu: :ss/roserade: :ss/inteleon: :ss/rotom-frost:
Chad (Golurk) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

Xatu @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 208 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Teleport
- Roost
- Psychic

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Leaf Storm

Inteleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Hydro Pump

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Blizzard

This is a nice li'l kind of hyper-offensive team featuring THE boy Golurk. I used this for Research Week last week and it was very very nice. Xatu's an excellent pivot and weezing counter as usual, and Stealth Rock Focus Sash Golurk works as either a strong-ass suicide lead or a reliable Toxtricity counter throughout the game—your choice. I opted for Double Dance on Cobalion because i needed a good wincon. Inteleon and Rotom-Frost form a pretty good VoltTurn core, and I opted for Frost over Mow because I wanted Roserade as a Spikes setter.

ASSAULT VEST REUNICLUS + GYARADOS BALANCE

:ss/Reuniclus: :ss/Cobalion: :ss/Gyarados: :ss/Weezing-Galar: :ss/Haxorus: :ss/Incineroar:

Reuniclus (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 SpD
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Future Sight

Cobalion @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Weezing-Galar @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Strange Steam
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- Outrage
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 196 SpD / 20 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Will-O-Wisp

Hey all! So I decided to try my hand at building a balanced team whilst maintaining some breaking potential to get past some of the bulkier mons we have in the tier. The defensive core consists of the ever present Weezing and the new kid on the block Incineroar. Who has been a great addition to the tier being able to provide utility to his teammates, while also maintaining the natural bulk to be able to pivot in and sponge hits. Weezing helps check some of Incineroar's weaknesses and is a great teammate to have to help deal with the fairy and ground types Incineroar shouldn't be staying in on, while also being the primary defogger (which is essential as Gyarados doesn't carry boots of lefties in this build) and helping pass around status. Reuniclus was a soft flex as I wanted a mon with more Special Defense to sponge some of the hits that Incineroar couldn't, and return damage to keep up momentum. The offensive core consists of probably the most threatening sweeper in the meta right now.. Gyarados. The set with Life Orb lets you kill pretty much everything in the meta game after a moxie boost, and Banded Haxorus helps muscle past checks like Umbreon and Weezing, and providing the team with some priority as well. Cobalion can come in on many things in the meta game to supply rocks and get off some powerful hits. I decided to give it a Chople Berry and lower its speed by 1 EV so it can take a Close Combat from other Cobalions, activate the berry, and OHKO it back with it's lowered defense. This team provides plenty of opportunity for you to get Haxorus and Gyarados in and leave holes in the enemies team, while being able to fall back on it's teammates to provide support when your mini-sweep comes to a halt. The team is really easy to use and has something for everyone on it and it really puts in work. Thanks everyone!

-jai​

Last edited:
I've been testing this AV Reuni + DD Gyara team and I can say it's dope. Only thing I found lackluster is Thunder on Reuni and I changed that to Future Sight, much more useful in my opinion. Also I've put HDB on Gyara, but that's just personal preference.

I've found myself not clicking Thunder very often as well, and is often as reliable as Hurricane when you need it to hit, but have opted to keep it there just for the coverage option. However, Future Sight does sound like a really good option allowing you to pivot into something else while you keep getting off damage, I think I'll probably tech that on there. The Gyarados can be customized to whatever you want its really just a case of Power vs. Reliability. Orb allows you to just muscle past any checks that can take something at +1/2 and continue to do so, while I've found Boots allows you to get in Gyara more often while also having to worry less about getting a Defog off before you start to setup. I think any set can put in work but keeping Earthquake allows you to avoid the dilemma of sometimes having both of your other moves resisted by something. (Updated the moveset and spread for Reuni in the Importable as well as the Incineroar spread to what I've been running!)

Last edited:
:cobalion::toxtricity::weezing-galar::golisopod::togedemaru::flygon:

new to uu, seemed like something fun i could get into over an extended break that i have (iTs COrOnA tImE), and i immediately built with cobalion and toxtricity. the two being able to pivot back and forth into each other while being able to break a nice portion of the tier seemed really fun and good on paper. i added weezing since it seemed like the best defog option for me to use, helping with a variety of physical attackers and giving me a ground immunity. looking over a while, (not entirely sure if hax even runs this) but I was really weak to eq haxorus due to mold breaker and with a lot of my mons being on the slower side, i opted in for golisopod and flygon more more additional checks. golisopod provided nice priority and even pivot in toxtricity potentially with emergency exit. spikes was also a nice addition for chip damage, further chipping with occassional volts from cobalion and tox. flygon, another additional haxorus check also having access to uturn was nice, and also being able to outspeed noivern due to scarf was a great addition. being that cobalion was my fastest mon at the time, having speed control with a good scarfer like flygon was nice to have. lastly, i added togedemaru after seeing this viability ranking nom for it and thought it was a nice mon to try out. getting free momentum gains vs. toxtricity, while also potentially keeping weezing healthy with wish support was really nice to play with.

I don't even know if I have permission to vote, but I've been using the team Jaiful made and I find it super fun and viable, I'm a very mediocre player but I was easily able to go 22-4 on the account I made, and it really just seems to reward good play, and has ways to deal with anything.

All some super fun teams made dis week! I must say though Katy has my vote for sure w/ the Noivern + Toxtricity Volturn combo. So much fun to use alongside Vap and Rhy who are a really nice defensive core both opting for Max/Max in HP and their weaker defense stat.

Lily

it's in my blood
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
I'm here to slap
and by that I mean to co-host.

The votes are in - lots of submissions, very happy to see that! The votes were as follows:
A Cake Wearing a Hat- 4
DraconicLepus - 2
Terrakion. - 2
jaiful - 2
Katy - 1
Luirromen - 1
So, congratulations to A Cake Wearing A Hat for winning the week!!

This week we will be featuring everyone's favourite wrestling cat.
:ss/incineroar:
Another mon that dropped in the shifts! Incineroar is a highly versatile Pokemon that has many viable sets due to its expansive movepool, good typing and solid stats. It is most commonly seen running a defensive pivot set using Heavy-Duty Boots, but is also very capable of going on the offensive! Submission deadline is Saturday, March 21st, so please get your teams in by then.

:sm/virizion::sm/clefairy: :sm/Noivern::sm/golisopod::sm/togedemaru:
<Click Sprites>

I used this for DPL last week and it worked out so why not. The team was built around Virizion and this is a fairly standard set but Zen headbutt is here to help with Roserade and Weezing. Clefairy was the rocker of choice for reasons that I can't recall. It was originally Calm Mind but I have changed it to Toxic to punish more stuff. My standard defensive pivot Incineroar but with Toxic to punish other Incin and bulky Water-types better. Noivern is the speed control alongside Virizion and it checks stuff like Goli, Coba, etc. and gives Defog support. Golisopod also helps with Coba but more importantly Mamoswine. Toge cos Toxtricity is a pain to pivot into and it helps deal with offensive Grass-types like Roserade better than any other option. :blobshrug:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
incineroar.gif araquanid.gif cobalion.gifmamoswine-f.giftoxtricity.gifgardevoir.gif
(Click on the Sprites)

I tried out this team a few days ago, and i got pretty good results. The team was built around Offensive SD Incineroar, which can heavily pressure defensive teams such as Umbreon + Doublade, while still somewhat keeping its ability to keep off Pokemon such as Polteageist and Chandelure. It's mediocre speed tier is mitigated by Araquanid's webs. SD + 3 Attacks Cobalion just kills shit after Doublade is gone, also makes for a nice secondary Mamoswine check. Rocks Mamoswine is a staple on these types of teams, being able to fuck Noivern over is a huge boon too. Toxtricity is the bulky water killer-inator and it has volt switch and great breaking prowess on the special side so that's nice. Finally, scarf Gardevoir has that sweet sweet Healing Wish and also its a fairy and speed control at the same time which is extra cool against mons like CB Hax.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Bulky Offense Grass/Fire/Water Core

:ss/Incineroar: :ss/Haxorus: :ss/Reuniclus: :ss/Mamoswine: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/Silvally-water:

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/72e9648a2ef10d58

Description:
this team is built around the standard-set of incineroar with the help from teammates such as mamoswine to set up stealth rocks and silvally-water to defog them away. haxorus here is a strong physical wallbreaker and setup sweeper in the late game whereas reuniclus is a strong special breaker and has calm mind + recover and also psyshock to have a better breaking chance against specially defensive threats and shadow ball to lure in doublade.
incineroar is a really good support pkmn, which can use u-turn for momentuum and wisp for statusing threats to make a setup easier for haxorus and reuniclus, same treatment goes to silvwally-water with having surf as stab option and defog + parting shot to help out reuniclus and haxorus, same goes to rillaboom. silvwally-water has thunderbolt to not get walled by mantine or vaporeon as these pkmn could hardwall it + it is able to damage milotic as well.
mamoswine has a good dual-stab with ground and ice and not many mons resist that dual-stab combination and rillaboom is the scarfer on this team as this team needs some speed control and rillaboom is very helpful in this case and is a ground resist on this team
basically this team is helping haxorus + reuniclus to clean in late game and keeps up a lot of momentum with the help of incineroar, silvally and rillaboom.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Ah yes, Incineroar, my specialty ;> Let's give this a go!

Incineroar Offense
:ss/incineroar::ss/bronzong::ss/toxtricity::ss/noivern::ss/inteleon::ss/virizion:

This team is all about capitalizing on both the offensive and defensive utilities that Incineroar can provide for its team as a pivot. Thanks to its great Fire/Dark typing and the fantastic attack drops that Parting Shot provides, the team is able to not only garner immaculate momentum, but is also able to break cores effectively with its offensive powerhouses. Bear in mind that, due to Bronzong and Incineroar's disposition, the team isn't exactly Hyper Offense, but it is best played to overwhelm your opponents at all times while also giving you the ability to retreat safely and make safer middle ground plays. The cool thing about the team is that it is able to be played to your needs, even with its offensive orientation, thanks to how flexible of a pivot Incineroar is, and how flexible mons such as Noivern and Inteleon are on the team as well.

The team is heavily based in momentum, punishing switches, overwhelming your foes, and flexible play. As such, to capitalize on the defensive potential of Incineroar, I filled its team with powerful breakers that also act as pivots to compliment the momentum it can garner, and even has a bulky, speedy win con that highly appreciates the utility of Parting Shot. Toxtricity/Inteleon/Virizion make an incredibly powerful offensive core that pries apart common defensive Pokemon and greatly like the easier switch-ins that Parting Shot allots them, while Bronzong/Incineroar make an incredible defensive core.

Potential Options:

Virizion's last move. Megahorn or Zen Headbutt are viable options both, but it really just depends on if you'd prefer to better nail Psychics or Poisons. I personally prefer beating Poisons.

U-Turn over Flamethrower on Noivern. I personally enjoy Flamethrower for more consistent damage over Hurricane due to its chance of missing, but you can augment the momentum core with U-Turn if you don't have much issue with it.

Inteleon's last move. You may notice a lack of priority on the team, which is a definite weakness. It's optional to run Ice Shard/Aqua Jet to get a little bit of priority to beat weakened Sirfetch'd that wants to First Impression you, Air Slash to beat Virizion, or Dark Pulse to beat Ghosts, but I prefer Surf to not risk the Hydro Pump miss, and priority is kind of situational for me, especially with the Speed tier Inteleon hits.

Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Toxtricity @ Choice Specs
Ability: Punk Rock
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Volt Switch
- Overdrive
- Snarl

Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Inteleon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Virizion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt

:ss/incineroar:

I started with Incineroar, the claim to fame. I took notes of what I liked about Incineroar in the tier; it's able to stall break things like Umbreon very well thanks to the underrated Taunt, and Parting Shot gives breakers/win cons a generally good time. I invested enough speed to outpace uninvested Mantine and I was ready to go! Once I finished its set, I noted that it was great against common offensive Pokemon such as Necrozma/Reuniclus and Chandelure; however, with these benefits came some pretty big detriments in a nasty Ground and Rock weakness.

:ss/incineroar::ss/bronzong:

Immediately, Bronzong came to mind. Not only did it appreciate Incineroar's positive matchup against Chandelure and Darks in general, but Bronzong checks menaces such as Mamoswine and Gigalith that Incineroar does not like going against. Together, these two made a fantastic defensive core, and I already had Stealth Rock and an effective pivot. However, with this in mind, my mind immediately circled back to things that benefited from Incineroar's Parting Shot. Then, it hit me.

:ss/incineroar::ss/bronzong::ss/toxtricity:

Toxtricity. It melts Weezing and a giant amount of the tier to ashes, and Incineroar gives it a fantastic opening while also making its wallbreaking much easier. In addition to its great defensive typing, Toxtricity is not only able to take hits, but is able to deal them all the same. Incineroar also appreciated having Weezing/Milotic broken, and Toxtricity appreciated Incineroar whittling down Psychics for it to more safely break.

:ss/incineroar::ss/bronzong::ss/toxtricity::ss/virizion:

I then realized that Gigalith was one hell of a problem for my team. While Bronzong is a solid counter, it can't exactly dish anything aside from a Toxic poison, and even then I can't risk keeping my other members in on a threatening Earthquake/Rock Blast. I then realized that Virizion was absolutely fantastic on the team. Not only does it have a nifty Water resistance which my team needed, but its offensive typing was utterly fantastic for the team in combination with Toxtricity. Its speed stat was also very good, and with Swords Dance Virizion seemed like a fantastic late game cleaner once enough holes were poked, especially thanks to Parting Shot complimenting its natural bulk.

:ss/incineroar::ss/bronzong::ss/toxtricity::ss/virizion::ss/noivern:

Now, I wanted hazard control. Initially, I was considering Tsareena over Virizion, but I didn't like Tsareena's speed tier, and Mamoswine was still pretty scary at that point in time. So, I wanted a member that could handle any hazards but also provide me with effective coverage and be an ok switchin. My mind went right to our best man Noivern, which not only is an extremely flexible Pokemon, but also provided my team with useful Flying STAB and reinforced Fire coverage, allowing for me to better handle my somewhat iffy Fighting matchup.

:ss/incineroar::ss/bronzong::ss/toxtricity::ss/virizion::ss/noivern::ss/inteleon:

I wanted speed control now. Virizion/Noivern are fast and effective, but Scarfers were kind of a pain in my behind, and I wanted both an effective speed check to opposing Noivern and a Water type to have an effective FWGE core. This was a hard slot, admittedly, as I bounced to Milotic at first to augment my defenses, but I didn't want my team to become too defensive, and speed was still an issue on top of me wanting another pivot. Then, I turned to Inteleon, which has a fantastic speed tier and is a menacing breaker in its own right. I also liked how it was threatening to Gigalith and Mamoswine on the switch-in without being Ice Shard fodder, which allowed for my team's momentum to only further increase thanks to Inteleon's access to U-Turn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)