Two Move Win (very situational)

I a sure I am not the first to think of this combination but I have not seen anyone mention a combinaiton that I thought of for a win in standard play.

The strategy is to use sleep clause against your opponent. Say you are facing a pokemon that can sleep and you know they are going to use that move for sure. You cac on your opponent mean look first turn Best (Lum berry is needed for this because you need to be awake for the second move). next you would encore them so they are traped in the move and cannot switch either. Next you let them sleep your setup pokemon then switch out making them sleep your next pokemon thus being DQ'd by violating sleep clause.

Best pokemon to do this would be Smeargle, Gallade, and Gardevoir. You would need them to be max speed inorder to counter the prominent sleep inducers in the metagame Brellom, Smeargle, Venasaur.

Problems- Rosarade is faster and can sleep you twice before you can encore ,hindering your setup. And most of the sleep inducers would not stick around on a gallade or Gardevior due to weakness issues.

Again this is a funny thing I a have tested with and am not sure if it is even worth competative play. would like some feedback.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not the place to put this.

Anyway, since you trapped the opponent and then Encored, it was not the sleeper's fault that they slept 2 of your Pokemon, but rather your fault. Therefore, Sleep Clause is to be considered not broken. However, they are obligated to switch out as soon as they can.

Yeah sorry I am new around the forums and didn't know where to post this.

I am not sure if shoddy or the original rule accounts for intent of the player though. strictly following the letter of the law no one can sleep more than one pokemon if they do they loose.

again very situational and where would topics like these go anyway?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
no where. smogon holds itself to higher standards.
No we don't.

Validity of the strategy aside, Smogon has never been a site that puts any priority on "honor codes" or otherwise not using the most effective strategy for any reason. We play to win.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
In situations like that I really think you should e the one to get DQ'd for forcing sleep clause, since technically, you're the one violating it, not him.

One turn win: set up Stealth Rock with Hippowdon against a team of 6 Shedinjas.

Exploiting clauses isn't really a 'legit' win in my eyes, and besides, as jumpluff said, Sleep Clause on Shoddy and PBR will make Spore (or whatever sleep move was used) fail rather than giving you the win.

There's no real honor code or anything, but traditionally, they'd do something that did nothing to your poke till you woke up (if a tangrowth slept your scarm it might mash eq or sunny day.) Again since this fails on shoddy this is more of a gimmick then a strat.

One turn win: set up Stealth Rock with Hippowdon against a team of 6 Shedinjas.

Exploiting clauses isn't really a 'legit' win in my eyes, and besides, as jumpluff said, Sleep Clause on Shoddy and PBR will make Spore (or whatever sleep move was used) fail rather than giving you the win.

Can do the ame thing with Spikes but it takes two tunrs. One to set up Spikes, the second to kill the Shedinja and just win right there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)