Doubles Tornadus [QC 2/2] [GP 1/1]

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Brambleghast was here, you're all nerds

[SET]
name: Tailwind Setter
move 1: Tailwind
move 2: Bleakwind Storm
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Protect
item: Focus Sash / Covert Cloak
tera type: Ghost
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
- Tornadus is an incredibly effective Tailwind user in DOU thanks to Prankster and its high Speed stat, ensuring that it can give its team a speed boost on demand. It pairs best with mid-speed attackers, such as Gholdengo and Landorus, which appreciate the immediate speed boost to knock out fast threats before they can respond with their own attacks.
- Bleakwind Storm is Tornadus's best attack, dealing relatively consistent damage to both opponents. While it won't win any awards for damage output, it allows Tornadus to stay on the field without losing too much momentum after using Tailwind.
- Taunt is used primarily to stop Pokemon like Cresselia and Diancie from setting up Trick Room. It can also prevent Protect, most entry hazards, setup moves, and redirection from the likes of Amoonguss, allowing you to make the most of Tailwind's limited duration.
- Protect lets Tornadus avoid powerful attacks that might KO it or faster moves like Fake Out or an opposing Taunt that would stop it from using Tailwind. Protect can also be used to stall out field effects like weather and Trick Room.
- Focus Sash is Tornadus's go-to item and lets it survive any one hit in spite of its mediocre bulk. Covert Cloak can be used instead to set Tailwind against Fake Out users.
- Tera Ghost grants Tornadus an immunity to both Fake Out and Dragonite's Extreme Speed, which both have higher priority than Tornadus's Prankster-boosted moves and can prevent Tailwind from going up. However, Tornadus should usually not Terastallize, as it is unlikely to represent a game-ending threat. Tornadus should only Terastallize when it will directly lead to winning a game.
- Tornadus has several other options over Taunt in the third moveslot. Rain Dance and Sunny Day can help support Pokemon like Palafin and Flutter Mane, respectively. Icy Wind, meanwhile, can double down on speed control while dealing some chip damage and is very helpful against opposing Tailwind teams.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/arcticblast.27554/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/qsns.230771/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/smudge.550367/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/ken.594478/

Last edited:

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
points of order:
- I want to mention how much better Bleakwind Storm is than Hurricane, since that's part of why Tornadus is actually playable now imo, but I don't know if it's fully necessary and can edit it out
- can we cut Mental Herb? I think it sucks. At least make it third slash maybe?
- I'd like to mention other options in the Taunt slot; weather moves, other attacks, and Nasty Plot are probably all worth mentioning to some degree

this is ready for QC

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
i think the part about hurricane is unnecessary, you can just emphasize bleakwind being a phenomenal move

remove salt cure mention in covert cloak, don't think it adds much as Torn's use for it 99.9% of time is dodging Fake Out.

i'm cool cutting mental herb

mention weather and icy wind. i don't think plot has seen enough usage

expand on tera ghost, specifically that the priority moves get around prankster

sorry for clown check am on mobile for the week

1/2

Smudge

NatDex Doubles TL
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Remove
Comment
Add

Brambleghast was here, you're all nerds :changry:

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
- Tornadus is an incredibly effective Tailwind user in DOU thanks to Prankster and its high Speed stat, ensuring that it can give its team a speed boost on demand.
- Bleakwind Storm is Tornadus's best offensive move, hitting both opposing Pokemon with a high base power. It can even lower Speed on its own, letting Tornadus go on the offensive and still control turn order. I think this oversells Bleakwind in a way that implies it reliably lowers speed with the move, I would like it if this was clarified a bit (particularly the "control turn order" part, I'm not sure if you mean in combination with TW or by getting speed drops)
- Taunt is used primarily to stop opponents from setting up Trick Room, but can also prevent Protect, most entry hazards, setup moves, and redirection from the likes of Amoonguss, allowing you to make the most of Tailwind's limited duration.
- Protect lets Tornadus avoid powerful attacks that might KO it, or faster moves like Fake Out or an opposing Taunt that would stop it from clicking using? Tailwind. Protect can also be used to stall out field effects like weather and Trick Room.
- Focus Sash is Tornadus's go-to item and lets it survive any one hit, despite its mediocre bulk. Teams that rely heavily on Tornadus's Tailwind may instead opt for Covert Cloak, which prevents flinching from Fake Out.
- Tera Ghost grants Tornadus an immunity to both Fake Out and Dragonite's Extreme Speed, which both have a higher priority than Tornadus's Prankster boosted moves and can prevent them entirely.
- Despite its high Special Attack stat, Tornadus is rather lacking as a standalone threat; while it's fairly splashable, it pairs best with mid speed attackers such as Gholdengo and Landorus-I that might otherwise find damage opportunities lacking. This is worded a bit strangely to me, neither of them particularly lack damage opportunities, more that it allows them to take the first hit and potentially the kill conserving HP/avoiding KO. It's not inherently wrong but I think it should be a little more descriptive of what this means.
- If a team finds itself not using Taunt, Tornadus has several other options in that slot. Rain Dance and Sunny Day can help support Pokemon like Palafin and Flutter Mane, respectively, and Icy Wind can double down on speed control while dealing some chip damage. Icy Wind particularly helps with the Tailwind mirror so probably mention that.

Written by:
attic j blorst
Quality Checked by:
Grammar Checked by:
Uy6too4.png

Arcticblast

Implemented the above with a few changes. Thanks May for the extra input!

help I'm having a hard time tagging GP Team

ken

gm
is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
Monotype Leader
1/1 GP Team done
add remove comment
Brambleghast was here, you're all nerds

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
- Tornadus is an incredibly effective Tailwind user in DOU thanks to Prankster and its high Speed stat, ensuring that it can give its team a speed boost on demand. It pairs best with mid-speed (added hyphen) attackers, (ac) such as Gholdengo and Landorus, which appreciate the immediate speed boost to knock out fast threats before they can respond with their own attacks.
- Bleakwind Storm is Tornadus's best attack, dealing relatively consistent damage to both opponents. While it won't win any awards for damage output, it allows Tornadus to stay on the field without losing too much momentum after using Tailwind.
- Taunt is used primarily to stop Pokemon like Cresselia and Diancie from setting up Trick Room. It can also prevent Protect, most entry hazards, setup moves, and redirection from the likes of Amoonguss, allowing you to make the most of Tailwind's limited duration.
- Protect lets Tornadus avoid powerful attacks that might KO it (rc) or faster moves like Fake Out or an opposing Taunt that would stop it from using Tailwind. Protect can also be used to stall out field effects like weather and Trick Room.
- Focus Sash is Tornadus's go-to item and lets it survive any one hit in spite of its mediocre bulk. Covert Cloak can be used instead to set Tailwind against Fake Out users.
- Tera Ghost grants Tornadus an immunity to both Fake Out and Dragonite's Extreme Speed, which both have a higher priority than Tornadus's Prankster-boosted (added hyphen) moves and can prevent Tailwind from going up. However, Tornadus should usually not Terastallize, as it is unlikely to represent a game-ending threat. Only Terastallize Tornadus should only Terastallize when it will directly lead to winning a game.
- Tornadus has several other options over Taunt in the third move slot moveslot. Rain Dance and Sunny Day can help support Pokemon like Palafin and Flutter Mane, respectively. Icy Wind, meanwhile, can double down on speed control while dealing some chip damage (rc) and is very helpful against opposing Tailwind teams.

Written by:
attic j blorst
Quality Checked by: qsns and Smudge

Grammar Checked by:
[CREDITS]

Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/arcticblast.27554/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/qsns.230771/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/smudge.550367/

Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/ken.594478/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)