SV OU TOP 200: Flame Body Tran + Johto-King Grassy Terrain Bulky Offense

IMG_2508.jpeg

Proof of peak (alt acc)
IMG_2496.jpeg

(hi georgie)

extra
IMG_2498.jpeg

vs high ELO player (1900): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2034180590-jwwpeb5p861rigd47xlsnnordn8amxzpw

Pokèpaste: https://pokepast.es/941d735965b38f31

Introduction
Upon brainstorming ideas for a team, I decided to build around two mons I consider to be underrated rn and are complementary to each other, Flame Body Heatran and Johtoian Slowking along with CB Rilla to form that sweet FWG core. Heatran is currently in B tier while J-King isn’t even ranked in the VR at all. The team is meant to have solid defensive flexibility while having several dangerous offensive threats that showcases these two mons in action.

Team Rundown

IMG_2500.png

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Protect

I found Flame Body to be a more consistent ability for Heatran than Flash Fire in the current meta. The two most common Fire types in the tier stomp on it anyways. (Tera Ground Volc, EQ G-Fire) Plus, the team isn’t lacking in strong checks to those threats. Flame Body Tran is an excellent deterrent of Meowscarada, Weavile, Kingambit, and Rillaboom. With Tera Flying, this list can expand to Zamazenta, SD Valiant, Great Tusk, Samurott, and Excadrill. Thus Tran acts as this team’s main check to the Dark type cats and Gambit while still checking Gholdengo.
Magma Storm and Earth Power are the go-to for almost every Heatran set. Taunt is necessary for Heatran to beat CM Clefable and Slowking-Galar. I’ve considered Stealth Rocks on it, but I found Protect to have more value for aiding in Heatran’s longevity and racking up Magma Storm chip. The EV spread is near identical to the Heatran on Pinkacross’ Specs Indeedee team, but with some adjustments.120 evs on Speed puts me at a benchmark of 220, outrunning Jolly Kingambit and defensive Gholdengo. It also gets the jump on opposing defensive Heatrans. The rest is dumped into HP and Def to make it as physically bulky as possible.

IMG_2501.png

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Chilly Reception
- Scald
- Thunder Wave

Regular Slowking is the team’s dedicated special wall and slow pivot. Why’d I choose this over Galarian-Slowking? I’ve talked extensively about it in this post. TL;DR, Regular Slowking resists Water, making it a more reliable check to Walking Wake and the rare but dangerous Keldeo. J-King also has a better matchup into ground types, Deoxys-Speed, and Heatran. With Scald and T-Wave, it is incredibly good at spreading status, better than G-King in certain matchups. Its less passive than other bulky waters in the tier such as Toxapex, Milo, and Dozo due to the sharing most of the same qualities as it’s Galarian counterpart.
Not much to say about the moves. Dual status as previously mentioned is very annoying to play around, especially since it exploits the two best status absorbers in the tier via Gliscor and Clefable. 52 Def EVs allows it to live a +2 Mighty Cleave at full. Tera Fighting was chosen specifically for Darkrai, with the side effect of dealing better into Samurott-H.

IMG_2502.png

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

Rillaboom completes the FWG core and aids the team with passive recovery. The team needed dedicated anti-offense measures, and Rillaboom was the perfect fit. Not much to say about Rilla cause you know what it does. Vs HO, click Glide. Vs Balance, click Wood Hammer. If they have a 4x Grass resist like Skarm, click Knock and U-Turn.
Max attack and Max speed. I could go for 52 Sped evs with the rest into bulk, but the team was looking to have problems with Raging Bolt, and I could possibly take out a weakened Raging Bolt with a Tera Grass Wood Hammer.

IMG_2503.png

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Great Tusk offers great role compression on the team, being the hazard remover, Rock setter, and Gouging Fire check. It also greatly appreciates Heatran’s ability to threaten the Steel birbs and check Gambit, so Tusk could preserve its HP for hazard removal.
Ice Spinner is important for smacking Gliscor. Cause a Tusk that can’t spin vs Gliscor is a bad Tusk. I originally had Bulk Up, but the team lacked a dedicated SR setter, so I went with. 96 Speed gets the jump on Raging Bolt and 0 Speed Gliscor while speed creeping Wellspring-Ogerpon after a Rapid Spin. I chose Adamant because

It gives me a decent roll to 2HKO Clef with Headlong Rush.

it guarantees an OHKO on max Atk, max Speed Gouging Fire.

It gives Headlong Rush a high roll to 2HKO Wogre on the switch after rocks.

Gives Tusk a higher chance to OHKO bulky Kingambit, especially after rocks.

Makes Headlong Rush a 93% OHKO on Dragapult after rocks.

It has a roll to OHKO standard NP Hydrapple with Ice Spinner.

It guarantees an OHKO on defensive Balloon Ghold after rocks with Ice Spinner + Headlong Rush.

Tera Poison lets Tusk ironically 1v1 Gliscor since Earthquake doesn’t even 2HKO after rocks while not gaining a Fighting and Fire weakness due to Tera Steel.

IMG_2504.png

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpA / 176 Spe
Mild Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Heavy Slam

I was noticing a poor matchup with Boots Kyurem and Raging Bolt. My Skarm matchup wasn’t looking pretty either. I needed a dedicated breaker, and something for Kyu/Rbolt. Luckily, there was Tyranitar. Tyranitar can lure and kill Skarm and Gliscor while also checking Kyurem and Raging Bolt.
This is the same set as the one in Dragonite4242’s team, but with some adjustments. Heavy Slam was chosen over Low Kick since my Kingambit matchup with Flame Body Tran and Tusk was not looking rough at all, and Fire Blast picks it off when weakened anyways. Plus Tran + Knock from Ttar + Tusk puts pressure on Ting-Lu. 84 SpA evs with a Mild Nature lets me still achieve the same OHKOs on Skarm and SpD Gliscor as Dragonite4242’s Ttar, but it allows me to invest into more bulk. The speed evs are for creeping anything that attempts to creep Skarmory.

IMG_2505.png

Enamorus (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Tera Blast
- Healing Wish

I had one more slot left and I needed two things. A ground immune, and some additional speed control, cause just Rillaboom wasn’t gonna cut it. So Scarf Enamorus was the pick. Not only does it synergize well with Heatran’s and Ttar’s wallbreaking abilities and defensive profile, but Healing Wish is great since the only team member with reliable recovery with Johtoking.
This is the standard Scarf Enamorus set. The original build had Modest, but I felt the additional power boost was unnecessary, and Timid was more important for +1 Kyurem, +1 Volcarona, Deoxys-Speed, and Booster Iron Crown.

IMG_2526.png

-Against teams leading off with Sash Hypnosis Darkrai, lead with Ttar. If they get the sleep off, switch into Enamorus and click Tera Stellar Blast since they are most likely to Tera Poison on it. The reason you lead with Ttar is to break the Sash, and if it happens to lack Focus Miss, it could straight up 1v1 it.

IMG_2434.png

-Vs Volcarona, you are gonna have to try and bluff Flash Fire Tran so they will try to waste their Tera Ground or Water. So after they click Quiver Dance, click Protect and/or Magma Storm. If they reveal Tera Ground/Water, switch to Rillaboom right away and click Grassy Glide. They are less likely to click Bug Buzz or Flamethrower if they think you’re Flash Fire. The safer play is to go into Slowking to get off a paralysis since it lives a +1 Bug Buzz at full.

IMG_2481.png

-If they have a Specs Kyurem, keep rocks up as long as possible and scout with Slowking + Protect Heatran. If they are DD, go to Heatran and chip it down. If it is Tera Ground, pick it off with Rillaboom.

IMG_2502.png

-Make sure you keep Rillaboom alive for as long as possible, as the team needs G-Terrain support to maintain itself vs Balance, especially if Heatran gets Knock’d.

IMG_8879.png

-Roaring Moon is a very tough matchup, so if you see it in team preview, preserve Tera until it comes out and go into Heatran, then you click Tera Flying. Now hope for the 30% burn chance and chip it with Magma Storm to get it in range of Grassy Glide.

IMG_2486.png

-Serperior is another tough matchup, especially if it clicks Tera Blast Ground. Fortunately the team has ways around it for each mon. Heatran could stop Substitute with Taunt and PP stall Leaf Storm with Protect. You generally wanna play really aggressively vs Serperior to make sure it doesn’t snowball the team. Everything minus Tusk can eat an unboosted Leaf Storm, so do not switch out unless your mon is in range of Leaf Storm.

IMG_5484.png
IMG_8922.png
IMG_2473.png
IMG_2467.png

-Against Balance, don’t be afraid to lead off with Slowking. Meow and Weavile are punished hard by Heatran while Slowking can 1v1 or pivot out of most mons on Balance.

IMG_8870.png

-Vs Garganacl, force a Tera with Rillaboom and chip it down for Enamorus to take it out with Stellar Tera Blast. You might need to use a combination of Taunt from Heatran, Future Sight from Slowking, G-Terrain from Rillaboom, as well as Knock Off and Sandstorm from Tyranitar. Alternatively you could also Tera your Slowking and try to slowly pp stall it with Grassy Terrain + Regen.

IMG_6678.png
IMG_2492.png
IMG_2475.png

-Vs Rain you are gonna wanna limit the amount of times it is up with Chilly Reception and Sand Stream. With Rillaboom, Barraskewda isn’t so bad, but Archaludon is. It could snowball the team if you aren’t careful. In this case, lead off with Slowking and aim to chip down Archaludon as much as possible while keeping Rain from staying up. Ironically Heatran is very good into Arch if you can keep rain out. Clicking Body Press risks a burn. Plus Heatran can stall out rain turns with Protect and could be sacked on Barraskewda for that 30% burn chance.

IMG_2528.png

-Hisuian Lilligant in Sun is a rare but very dangerous matchup. Without Tera, the whole team gets 6-0d on team preview. You’re gonna wanna preserve Tera Flying on Heatran.

IMG_8858.png

-Ogerpon-Wellspring is a very nasty matchup for us, especially Horn Leech variants, and Rilla needs to Tera to OHKO with Grassy Glide. If you see it in Team Preview, keep Rilla alive.

Last edited:
gz on ur peak, I just have a few questions for you.

This is team alright, but it seems a bit weak to Offensive :great-tusk:. It threatens major chip on alot of your members, and Rillaboom's terrain can be removed with Ice Spinner. What did you do to get over this? I assume Tera Heatran but it seems like a huge strain on the team.

gz on ur peak, I just have a few questions for you.

This is team alright, but it seems a bit weak to Offensive :great-tusk:. It threatens major chip on alot of your members, and Rillaboom's terrain can be removed with Ice Spinner. What did you do to get over this? I assume Tera Heatran but it seems like a huge strain on the team.
Dealing with this is a matter of positioning. You can try pivoting around Headlong Rush and Ice Spinner it with Slowking + Enam/Rilla. In the 1v1 matchup, Slowking can eat one Headlong Rush and threaten with Scald. This team’s Tusk can live 2 Headlong Rushes and Ice Spinner, so if they aren’t Bulk Up
You could also try to punish Ice Spinner with Flame Body Tran, but that’s a huge risk, especially if it doesn’t proc. I would stick to the former gameplan.

Alternatively you can run Bulk Up on Tusk and swap Protect on Tran for rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)