Titanic

What do you think of the movie TitanicÉ

• Poorly made movie and I liked it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I recently watched titanic with my family and really enjoyed it. One of my friends also watched it over the break and completely hated it. We started a discussion and it seems titanic is one of the most controversial movies as there is not really a general concensus on its status as a movie.

If you have seen titanic and actually have a logical interpretation of it please vote for the answer you agree with and state your reasons.

Note: Some people may be confused what i mean by the second and third poll option.

poorly made movie and i liked it: Star wars episode 3: revengre of the sith.
Very bad movie. poor acting, horrible dialogue and numerous plot holes. However, the action scenes were pretty entertaining and it concluded the star wars saga relatively well.

Well made movie that i disliked: The deer hunter.
Great dialogue and very good acting, but the movie dragged on too long and could not keep me interested in it. There were many scenes that i felt did not belong in the movie that i could not really understand. won best picture

I thought Titanic was decent.. watchable at least. Didn't care much for the main story or characters though..

It seems like it's on TV all the time now, and I always turn it on right at the point where the ship is breaking in half. I really like watching it for the next bit after that for... some... reason... ._. (A nice dose of schadenfreude perhaps?)

http://www.lookingforadventure.com/titanicvideoclip.htm

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
sappy romance for overly sentimental people and 13 year old girls, and at 195 minutes it is downright torture to watch this cheesefest. james cameron's worst.

I have never seen it.

I already know what happens anyway: the boat sinks and a bunch of people die.

It's a pretty good movie. I don't normally go for romance stuff, but I enjoyed it. It's probably not something I'd seek out to watch again, but nor is it something I would walk out of the room on. (And yes, there have been movies that have been so bad I've left the cinema.)

Titanic seems to be one of those things that it's fashionable to say it's rubbish. I'm sure you all know what I mean.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Titanic seems to be one of those things that it's fashionable to say it's rubbish.
i love when people use this boilerplate defense. maybe people hate on titanic because they hold film to a higher standard than -just- entertainment???

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I enjoyed Titanic; it was a nice romantic tragedy set on a historical tragedy. I wouldn't buy a Titanic t-shirt or anything, but it's worth watching at least once imo.

well im gonna pipe in some of my views.

james cameron is well known for sci-fi and action movies. The thing that sets him apart than other directors is that he makes you feel for the characters. For example, in terminator two, you actually feel sad when arnold dies at the end. He makes you feel bad about a robot (who was the villian in the first movie) dying. Now honestly, name me another director who can write and direct a movie that has as much action, original story, and emotion as terminator 2.... no one can.

Now titanic is supposed to be an action-adventure movie (just watch the last hour). We are supposed to feel for the people that are dying and feel sad when they die. If we didnt care when they died, the movie would just be a bunch of random people dying, like a documentary. This is why the love story was introduced: theres no other way for the audience to care for the main characters in a setting such as titanic other than a love story.
Now i do admit that the story is clichéd and kind of forced (just like avatar....), but it gets the job done and makes the viewer feel horrible at the ending, in most peopls opinions at least.

i love when people use this boilerplate defense. maybe people hate on titanic because they hold film to a higher standard than -just- entertainment???
I will grant that different people look for different things, whether it be music, movies, books, whatever.

But the fact remains that there are also things it is popular to bash. Things people love to hate. Quite often without even having read/watched/heard them. Twilight would seem to be a current example - I bet many of the people knocking it haven't read it. (Not saying they SHOULD - but if one hasn't read a book, one should probably keep your mouth shut about it). I recall similar things with discussion of Final Fantasy X-2, with people saying it's shit then admitting they haven't even played it.

That's not so much with Titanic - I think most people have seen it. Films rarely break three hours, whereas a book or game can take far longer to finish. But still, I am sure there are people who like it, but say they hate it to look cool/fit in.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Twilight would seem to be a current example - I bet many of the people knocking it haven't read it. (Not saying they SHOULD - but if one hasn't read a book, one should probably keep your mouth shut about it).
You don't need to read Twilight to know it's trash. I've seen excerpts and I know the context. That's all I need to realize that it is not only a bad book, but a dangerous one that feeds on the way the female mind works.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well made in the sense that no expense was spared and it really showed.

Poorly made in the sense that it was boring beyond belief.

The only extraordinary thing about the movie is how every single element is so perfectly marketable that the cumulative effect was a profit machine like no other. Studio executives must still masturbate to the thought of being on that (metaphorical) ship; for it did not hit an ice berg, it struck gold, and Leo did not drown in water, he drowned in cash.

I agree with G80 and McGraw. Titanic is amazingly uninteresting.

And as far as Twilight is concerned, this is all you need to know to form an opinion, really. That and who the target audience is.

the problem with that article and others like it is this:
if you start reading a book but you're prematurely convinced it's going to suck, then you're obviously going to find everything shitty about it, and in turn not understand what the fuck it's actually about. I'll admit a lot about Twilight is really shitty, but biased writing like that article is super silly and it's a shitty way to convince people that the books suck....

but ummm Titanic isn't bad.... but they definitely could have shaved off an hour or so to improve watchability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)