Tired of using OU so now I'll try my luck at UU!

After spending ages on the OU tier and drastically improving my OU team (epic props to Haunter and the others for helping me with that), I felt some change was needed. Instead of building a team just for UU my goal was to build a group that could take on OU and UU teams. This team has held up well but there’s always room for improvement. Any suggestions/advice is welcome, even if it’s just one sentence. If you feel I should replace someone, tell me. I want to hear as much as I can :)

Team Overview

Note: Umbreon has been switched out for Slowbro.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right from the very beginning, I knew I wanted a Scarf lead just so I could have the first hit of the battle. Typhlosion was a good choice for the job. Took me forever to choose between him and Scarf Blaziken, though. Hitting on both sides of the offensive spectrum is a great thing for a lead, especially when he can outrun nearly everyone else.

Scarf Typhlosion is a magnet for Flash Fire users like Houndoom and Arcanine. Walls who could take a Special Attack like Snorlax and Blissey also presented a problem if I happened to be locked into a Special move, and Physical Walls who resist Eruption can be a huge pain in the ass. So I looked for a Pokemon that could counter Flash fire users and those pesky walls. I chose Hariyama for this role.

One thing Hariyama lacks that every wall loves is a recovery move besides Rest, and I’d rather not use a RestTalking set. He also seems to attract Psychic types, which he hates. So I wanted a Pokemon who could take Psychic moves and provide recovery support to the team. Umbreon seemed to be a great choice.

I loved how great the team looked but I noticed I was missing something incredibly important: an entry hazard! On top of that I also lacked a spinner. Then I thought about Typhlosion’s weakness to the most popular move in the game and decided I would need a Pokemon immune to Earthquake in addition to being a hazard controller. After looking around for a while I discovered Claydol, a Pokemon who had more benefits than I was looking for.

At this point the majority of my Pokemon are slow. I also lacked a reliable answer to Gyarados, or Water types in general, while also lacking a Special sweeper. Chances are you could guess who I chose based off those characteristics had I not posted my entire team earlier. Yep, the reliable Raikou.

The team is looking great but there is one spot left. Raikou has shown me the beauty of hitting hard while moving fast and I wanted to continue that, just on the Physical side. My first choice was a Flame Orb Swellow, but I remember how priority moves would piss me off and how most Rocks and Steel types would wall him. I looked a Pokemon with a bit more bulk and some more coverage, mostly against Rock types. Sceptile met the qualifications nicely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE LEAD

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Mild
Ev’s: 144 Atk, 252 Sp. Atk and 112 Spd.

Eruption
Focus Punch
Earthquake
Hidden Power Ice

A pretty standard Typhlosion lead that uses a Choice Scarf. I went with him over Blaziken because Eruption is more powerful and reliable than Fire Blast. Originally, I had Overheat in place of HP Ice but I noticed I lacked an Ice move on my team, which could leave me weak to the Dragons. Eruption is a great STAB base 150 move and dents just about anything that doesn’t resist it when Typhlosion is at full health. Focus Punch helps him handle an incoming Wall hoping to soak up a Special move, such as Blissey, Snorlax, Aggron and Probopass. Earthquake lets him hit Electric types hard and gives Typhlosion nice coverage. Hidden Power Ice takes care of most Flying types and the Dragons.

THE PHYSICAL WALL

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Impish
EV’s: 80 HP, 172 Atk, 252 Def, 4 Sp Def

Brick Break
Whirlwind
Stone Edge
Knock Off/Fire Punch

This guy is an annoyance, plain and simple. He can take Fire and Ice moves well and deal plenty of hurt to the Pokemon who have those moves STAB’d. Brick Break is a reliable STAB move that can break any screens that may be up. Whirlwind gets rid of any Pokemon trying to boost their stats. Stone Edge takes care of Arcanine, who Hariyama will be switching into if he can. Knock Off is meant to cripple any Pokemon who needs their item to be effective. Fire Punch could let him hit Grass Pokemon for devastating damage while also taking out Steel types. Like I said earlier, I'd like to stay away from a RestTalk set but if it would be an improvement I will use it

THE SUPPORTER *

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EV’s: 252 HP, 252 Sp Def, 4 Def

Wish
Mean Look
Protect
Payback

Provides my team with Wish support and is excellent at getting rid of Psychic types, and absorbing their STAB moves, which is what I want him to do. Protect lets Umbreon scout for Choice users and offers suitable stalling for self-recovery with Wish/Leftovers. Payback is the move he uses to deal with the trapped Psychic. I may use the Baton Pass if Trap Passing would work better but I’d rather not use it if I can. I'm also interested in Toxic but I don't know if it would work too well.

THE HAZARD CONTROLLER

Claydol @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EV’s: 252 HP, 144 Def , 114 Sp Atk

Stealth Rock
Rapid Spin
Hidden Power Fighting/Earth Power
Shadow Ball

I was searching for a guy who could set up and get rid of hazards while being immune to Earthquake and I found Claydol, who could do all that and more. He’s immune to Spikes and T-Spikes, resists Stealth Rock and gives my team immunity to Ground and Electric moves. He has great defenses and typing. I was originally going to take advantage of a STAB Psychic but then I remembered how Gengar had magnificent coverage with Focus Blast/Shadow Ball and I decided Claydol would love to have that. But Claydol can’t learn Focus Blast so he would have to go with Hidden Power Fighting. I might go with Earth Power for the STAB, though.

THE SPECIAL SWEEPER

Raikou @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EV’s: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Grass
Extrasensory

It’s hard to believe this guy is UU but I’m not complaining. Thunderbolt is the obvious STAB move and rids me of any Gyarados problem and is my main answer for Skarmory should Typhlosion be taken out. Shadow Ball hits Ghosts for good damage and has a possible Spe Def drop should the target survive. Hidden Power Grass handles Swampert and those Ground Pokemon looking to come in and wall Raikou or take a Thunderbolt. Extrasensory deals with the Fighting types, namely Infernape.

THE PHYSICAL SWEEPER

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
EV’s: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

Leaf Blade
Earthquake
Rock Slide
X-scissor

An excellent physical sweeper, all things considered. Sceptile has great coverage on top of good Attack and amazing Speed… it’s a beautiful thing. Leaf Blade is the STAB move, which has a nice CH rate and base power. Earthquake’s notoriety is well documented and really needs no explanation. Rock Slide hits Flying types and may even flinch the opponent. X-Scissor is great for Grass types and takes care of Celebi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
Nature: Bold(+Def, - Atk)
EV's: 252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 SpDef

Calm Mind
Slack Off
Surf
Psychic

Slowbro is an excellent wall for my team. He can switch into psychic attacks aimed at Hariyama and Calm Mind up while the opponent switches. Lefties/Slack Off gives him excellent instant recovery for longer walling instead of waiting for Wish to kick in. Surf and Psychic are his two STAB moves and offer decent coverage, though after a few CM's it will hardly matter.

Aw, 250 views and not a single reply? It can't be that bad.
It may seem mean but Umbreon does'nt seem, to fit well in your team , yeah it can come in on nearly any attack but it can'nt do anything offensive i'd suggest milotic or slowbro to take its place.
I can't send you no good spreads cause im on my cell phone but umbreon just is'nt helping your team except for wishpassing which is a minimal help anyway.

If you're deadset on keeping Umbreon however, I would suggest running Yawn over Mean Look. Odds are, if you switch Umbreon into a Psychic type they will switch to a counter, so you would trap something that could hurt Umbreon, which isn't good at all. Yawn will force the counter to switch back out to avoid the sleep, or put them to sleep giving you some free Wish support. Also, Protect+Yawn will keep Umbreon alive if they decide to stay in.

But as mepku said, a bulky water would fit in much better, albeit without Wish support. Slowbro also resists Psychic type moves if you are worried about that, can Calm Mind up, and has Slack Off for instant recovery.

I would suggest running the Calm Mind set off of the analysis page.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Own Tempo
Bold(+Def, - Atk)
252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 SpDef

Calm Mind
Slack Off
Surf
Psychic

Takes Psychic hits aimed at Hariyama and can Calm Mind up and Slack Off damage. You can play around with the EV's to make it more Specially bulky, but Calm Mind does most of the work.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Scarf Typhlosion is a terrible lead in the current metagame, with Ambipom Faking Out all over the place, which will really dent Eruption's power...

Yeah, Slowbro would be a nice choice. Resists Psychic attacks aimed at Hariyama, Fire moves aimed at Sceptile and Water moves aimed at Claydol/Typhlosion. I'll use him.

@ Son of Shadoo, what lead should I use then?

Alakazam's Inner Focus would be an excellent way to handle all the Fake Outs from guys like Infernape and Ambipom, though I'm not sure what set I should run or if I really want 3 Psychic types on my team.

I'm heavily considering Spiritomb as a replacement lead for Typhlosion. Fake Out immunity is awesome and his immunity to Normal, Fighting and Psychic makes me want to keep him alive for the duration of the match, if possible. How about this set:

Spiritomb - Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EV's: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Sp Def

Will-O-Wisp
Pain Split
Pursuit
Taunt/Sucker Punch

Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)