Strategy & Metagame Tips to use underrated mons in any tier

You know, looking back the masters division finals in 2014, a part of me feels that in most instances, a lot of apprentice battlers, casual players transitioning to competitive play, and others more just admire Se Jun Park for pretty much "defying" the smogon stereotype of competitive battling. Even if it's not Smogon, usually, I read a few comments on youtube (like the vid by Verlisify) here and there about Park's VGC Pachirisu (who could get a mega evolution) that just points out to everyone else that you cannot just build a successful team that consist of your favorite "low tier" pokemon. Like this example of a comment of a mistaken perception:

Xgil2Play 7 months ago
Se Jun Park is an inspiration. When I said I was going to make the world's most powerful Bidoof, I was kidding at the time. After the championship, I saw that the only thing that is impossible is impossibility. Embrace yourself, Bididof the Bidoof is coming =D
Read more Show less
Reply · 8 9
▼ Report spam or abuse
View all 9 replies Loading... Hide replies

Devon
6 months ago
See, there's something you have to understand. Sejun wasn't trying to make Pachirisu as powerful as it could be. It just so happened that Pachirisu was a perfect fit for his team because it could absorb electric attacks away from Talonflame and Gyarados. Sejun knew many people were prepared for amoongus so Pachirisu was the better user of redirection. But pachirisu has been a decent pokemon in doubles for some time now and I've seen it do well even before worlds. But yet inexperienced doubles players think that this pachirisu came out of nowhere and is a godsend, when in reality you can't just slap this pokemon on any team and expect it to do work like sejun did with it. Pachirisu just had great synergy with his team. This doesn't mean that bidoof or other shit pokemon are going to be viable.
Read more Show less
Reply · 1
▼ Report spam or abuse

Xgil2Play
6 months ago
Nope di doh. Just because you've seen a Pachirisu being a god before, it doesn't mean you know the actual reason why Se Jun took it to the Championship. Would you do what he did? Take a Pachirisu to the championships? Hell no, chances are, you follow Smogon and you would probably only use Pokemon above the NU tiers. Pachirisu it's his favorite, you can see that. And battle alongside your favorite Pokemon, is the true definition of being a Pokemon Trainer. I don't talk shit about your favorite Pokemon, so I ask you to not talk shit about my favorite Pokemon.
Read more Show less
Reply · 1
▼ Report spam or abuse

Devon
6 months ago
+Xgil2Play Actually I play VGC not smogon. And you think Pachirisu is his favorite pokemon? Really now? After all the years of Sejun playing pokemon competitively and all the tournaments he's played this is the first ever time he's used Pachirisu and you think it's his favorite pokemon? You think he waited years and went through many tournaments and only NOW used Pachirisu for the first time on one of his teams? Fuck off. He used it for the valuable niche that it provided for his team not because he wanted a special snowflake. This is very obvious. He has a Gyarados and a Talonflame, it had perfect synergy. Why would he base a whole team around a support pokemon? That doesn't make any sense. Sejun is a good player, not some guy like you who is trying to make some shitmon shine. Anyone who's actually experienced with VGC would know this and judging from your comments, I can easily tell you're not a good player.
Read more Show less
Reply · 1 2
▼ Report spam or abuse

Xgil2Play
6 months ago
+Devon So what? You're going to bully me just because I'm not a good player? True. I'm new to competitive, I haven't seen enough in life. But I know Pokemon well enough. And people. And if it was hard for you, which of the Pokemon Se Jun held dear? Pachirisu. To answer your question, you don't take your favorite weapon to a war, unless you know that it'll resist in battle. You need to analyze it first. Pachirisu could well be (as it is) his favorite Pokemon. Let's say your favorite Pokemon is Shuckle. Wouldn't you go through hell just to make it good? You don't know Se Jun, and you can't judge straight away, that Pachirisu was only built to support 2 Pokemons that he could've not used. And dafuq's a Shitmon? Is that a new TV series you're making? Yep, the name says how's going to be.
Read more Show less
Reply · 1
▼ Report spam or abuse

Devon
6 months ago
+Xgil2Play I'm not bullying you, i'm trying to wisen you up. There's nothing wrong with having favorites. But you need to understand when your favorite just isn't competitively viable. VGC is meant for competitive play. Bidoof is not competitive. It's not good and will never be(unless you get really lucky with moody boosts). A lot of good VGC players have success with obscure pokemon because they fill specific niches on their team, it happens a lot and doesn't mean it's their favorite or was what the team was based around. Sejun has done this before with magmar last year. And the phrase "held dear" is really awful to use in pokemon, please stop. You hold family dear, friends as well. I think you're taking bonds with pokemon far too seriously. But I digress. Pachirisu was probably the favorite of his team, yes. But that's because it's an obscure pokemon and because of that created a lot of hype within the crowd just because it's an obscure pokemon. It was a fun time and was probably fun to play with. Because of that tournament, it's probably his favorite now I'd assume. This doesn't mean he based the team specifically around Pachirisu because it's "held dear" to him. Another example of using a niche mon in a team was the person who placed second in worlds, he used a Rotom-Mow which has seen basically just as much play as Pachirisu this year since it's generally outclassed by Rotom-H and Rotom-W. Do you think Rotom-Mow was his favorite pokemon as well? Because if you do you're wrong. He's made a team report and explained that he used Rotom-Mow over the other rotoms because of it's valuable grass typing making it immune to Rage Powder. He even said that he tested other Rotom forms before he used Rotom-Mow, so he didn't base the team around it. And i'd be willing to bet that Sejun's team building process when including Pachirisu was a pretty similar experience in that Pachi filled a nice niche on his team that worked out well. And the reason I pointed you out as a new player is because you really fail to grasp this process in team building. Not trying to bash on you for it, i'm just trying to enlighten you of something that's very common to see in VGC. And lastly, this is very obvious and I think(hope) you're being sarcastic but I'll tell you anyway, a shitmon is common slang for a pokemon that's shit. It's very often thrown around the internet within the pokemon community these days, actually.
Read more Show less
Reply · 1
▼ Report spam or abuse

Xgil2Play
6 months ago
+Devon Hehe xD Well, since you put it that way, I can say in some ways you're right. I say "hold dear", because I'm still a kid. As much as mature I can be, I get attached to stuff quite easy. If I have a Cottonne (a Pokemon that I hate, although I love Whimsicott), if I get attached to it, chances are, I'm not letting it go xD Same with Bidoof, it hurts to see that, that Pokemon has no love, nobody respects it. I just need to show to people that every Pokemon can have its chance to shine. Even if it takes years, I'll make Bidoof have the respect it deserves. (Why do you people write so much?) Does it cost you to type Pokemon? Only seven letters in total xP. Totally understand your way to think, but Pachirisu could still be his favorite, you never know :) Sorry if I offended you in any way, Devon-senpai =)
Read more Show less
Reply · 1
▼ Report spam or abuse

Devon
6 months ago
+Xgil2Play You didn't offend me at all. I hope I didn't offend you either. Btw, why not just use Bibarel? Bibarel could maybe do something useful. Simple + Curse + Trick Room could be a thing.
Read more Show less
Reply · 1
▼ Report spam or abuse

Mega Stunfisk VGC
6 months ago
hate to be that guy, but nobody work their salt playing vgc was surprised that someone did well with pachi. It has a specific niche over amoonguss in that it has the slightly better follow me (better than rage powder because grass types and safety goggles), paralysis move not affected by taunt, strong talonflame matchup and a move that take half health with no attack investment. also it had done well before sejun used it. pachi was featured on a team that placed highly in one of the official wifi tournaments that gave Championship points.
Read more Show less
Reply · 1
▼ Report spam or abuse

Nicholas Cuevas
2 months ago
I've never seen someone who says that bideo of is legitimately their favorite Pokemon. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just kind of surprising. But hey, caterpie is my favorite, so I can't talk.
So what I could see in this article would be potential to enlighten some players as to what it truly "means" to build a team with an obscure pokemon and executing its strengths and weakness. That conversation from that quote is what inspired me for this potential article to be published.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
youre absolutely right and there is nothing more annoying than when people use sejun as an example of "winning with your favorites;" however i dont know if youll reach much of your target audience via smogon, since they seem mostly to hate us

Hmmmm. That could be a dilemma. But I'm not sure if this could be something that could be permitted to be written. Just came back from an OJT interview

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)