Timburr

Yes, we all wish that we were strong enough to carry around logs that are as big as we are. All nerd fantasies aside, Dokkora is a very capable pokemon in little cup, so much so that I'm surprised that no on has made his thread yet.

TYPING:

How other types fare against it:
Not very effective:

Neutral:

Super-effective:

BASE STATS:
HP: 75
Attack: 80
Defense: 55
Special Attack: 25
Special Defense: 35
Speed: 35

Dokkora has a great base 80 attack, but with a paltry 35 base speed, he will never sweep through conventional means. He also has decent physical defense, but his special defense is lacking as well.

ABILITIES:

GUTS:
Boosts the user's attack when afflicted with a burn, poison, or paralysis, and sleep. Negates the burn drop caused by a burn as well.

ENCOURAGE: Boosts the power of all moves with a positive secondary effect by 30%, but negates the secondary effect. (I am taking this from Bulbapedia)

(DW) IRON FIST: Boosts the power of Sky Uppercut, Hammer Arm, and all moves with 'punch' in their name, except Sucker Punch by 20%. (This ability has been confirmed)

Dokkora gets three good abilities that all boost his already good attack. The ability to use comes down to what moves you plan on using with him.

MOVESET:

Level Up

TM/HM

Egg Moves

POSSIBLE SETS:

Bulk Up

Dokkora @ Life Orb/ Evolution Stone
236 HP/ 196 Atk/ 76 Speed
Adamant Nature
Guts/ Iron Fist
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Payback
-Mach Punch

Pretty standard bulk up set. Run life orb if you want to do more damage before you get a bulk up or evolution stone if you want to guarantee getting a bulk up in to compensate for your lower attack. Guts stops will-o-wisp from ruining you, but Iron Fist boosts Drain Punch, giving you more crucial healing, as well as boosting mach punch. Payback allows you to hit those pesky ghosts (and psychics) who try to ruin your fun. The 76 speed EVs allow it to hit 11 speed, so that you can pass it an agility boost for added sweeping potential.

Choice Band

Dokkora @ Choice Band
236 HP/ 196 Atk/ 76 Speed
Adamant Nature
Guts/ Encourage/ Iron Fist
-Drain Punch/Hammer Arm
-Payback
-Stone Edge
-Mach Punch/ Poison Jab

Another typical choice band set. Drain Punch vs. Hammer Arm comes down to survivability vs. power. Hammer Arm is usually the better choice as you don't have any sustainability without bulk up, and you need to hit hard if you can't last long. Payback hits Ghosts and Psychic hard, and Stone Edge provides good coverage with fighting. There is really no reason not to use your STAB priority attack, but poison jab is an alternative if grass pokemon give you problems.

Choice Scarf

Dokkora @ Choice Scarf
76 HP/ 196 Atk/ 236 Speed
Jolly Nature
Guts/ Encourage/ Iron Fist
-Drain Punch
-Payback
-Stone Edge
-Mach Punch/ Poison Jab

While it may seem strange to run a choice scarf on a pokemon with 35 base speed, Dokkora is able to hit the magic number of 14 with full investment. This set is limited in usefulness as Dokkora has a priority attack (and a good one at that) while also being forced to using payback and its negative priority. But Dokkora is able to lay a beating on his opponent with Drain Punch and Stone Edge. Poison Jab is more viable on this set as priority doesn't help Dokkora as much now.

I'm not sure how this is beneficial

Dokkora @ Flame Orb236 HP/ 196 Atk/ 76 Speed
Adamant Nature
Guts
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Payback
-Stone Edge

I'm not sure how getting burned boosts his attack since it should burn away his battering ram. Anyway, this is a typical guts set, except that Dokkora's existence isn't limited to 8 turns with the help of drain punch. STAB Drain Punch allows Dokkora to live longer than most other guts abusers. Mach punch gives Dokkora strong priority while payback pounds on ghosts and psychics and stone edge rounds out his coverage.

OVERVIEW:

Dokkora is an overall capable pokemon. It has three excellent abilities to boost his already impressive attack. He is barely fast enough to run an effective scarf set. He has a semi-reliable way of healing and a way to boost his attack and defense, but Dokkora's main draw is his STAB mach punch coming off of 80 base attack with either a guts boost or an iron fist boost. Dokkora is far-and-away the best user of mach punch in LC, which almost deserves him a spot on your team with that one fact, but he is also able to do so much more besides abuse priority.

Discuss how this awesome pokemon will affect the LC metagame, and what other options he has for sets.

Battled one of these guys earlier; they are freaking tanks. I had just taken Gligar off my team, and Dark+Fighting just tears through most teams; first time I killed it but ended with a crippled wynaut, second time I encored Bulk Up but vacuum wave from Croagunk didn't do anything to it...

Yeah, Gligar is his only perfect counter (Well, it is Gligar), because Psychic types need to OHKO him or get raped by payback and flying types can't do much as they are primarily physical and he can pack stone edge.

What other sure-fire counters does he have?

wouldn't a Bronzor be a good counter for him.

I recommend giving the Bulk Up set some Sp.Def, since you will be boosting your attack anyway

Anyway, how Roopushin is in OU, dokkora will be in LC

This guy with Evolution Stone and Bulk-up is going to be a very bulky sweeper to stop. With some investment in Special Defense, this thing will be a very good LC Poke.

Yah ive been using a BU set with Evo stone and it works pretty great.It gives me that "Musthave" Zurugu check and also a good status absorber.It can take hits pretty well and Drain Punch hurts quite a lot as well.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Choice Band reallly sucks in LC. The difference between LO and CB is minimal, and such a slow thing should never run a Choice Band, or its going to be outpredicted and it'll give a free turn easily., which will be sheer murder in LC.

Choice Band reallly sucks in LC. The difference between LO and CB is minimal, and such a slow thing should never run a Choice Band, or its going to be outpredicted and it'll give a free turn easily., which will be sheer murder in LC.
Agreed; even the choice scarf set on this guy isn't that useful, as there are better pokes that can make use of the scarf. I've ONLY seen Bulk uppers so far, just some carrying LO some carrying Evo Stone

Bronzor isn't as perfect as Gligar as it's only neutral to fighting, so drain punch can dent it pretty well. With prediction, choice band is usable, but I do agree that LO is better. The choice scarf is pretty much just to point out that he can, although it is a usable gimmick. I think that the next discussion should be what would be good teammates for him.

Any Steel will work. Tesshildo less so, but it does work.

Murkrow.

Slowpoke.

Yuniran if Dokkora runs TR evs.

And Machop for double-fighting.

And Munchy/Stunky/Komatama for killing ghosts.

And Gastly/Misdreavus/Duskull/Pururiru/Desukan for killing stuff after ghosts die.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)