VGC The Show - VGC 2020

Fame and fortune await those with a will strong enough to claim it. The Show is a VGC 2020 team focused on offensive pressure and speed control. Through a combination of graceful Tailwinds, subtle Trick Rooms, and aggressive Posturing, this team looks to eliminate threats and place control over each turn in your hands. Now, on with The Show!

- Showdown Export -
- Rental Code: 0000 0002 WRM4 0H -

First - Dusclops

Setting out with this team I knew I was going to want access to two specific moves. Tailwind and Trick Room. I considered a ton of options before eventually deciding that Dusclops would make the perfect cast member for setting Trick Rooms due to its unmatched bulk and plethora of support moves. Every team needs a base and this felt like a good place to start.

Second - Conkeldurr

After selecting my Trick Room I knew I wanted at least one TR abuser. Conkeldurr and Trick Room have been a reliable pair since the early Gen 5 Metagame and now with D-Max the Muscle Clown has only gotten even more terrifying under its effects.

Third - Hydreigon

Next, I wanted a strong nuker with good coverage options. Hydreigon has a huge move pool and massive special attack to back them up. I also really liked it's speed tier being faster than most unboosted mons but slow enough to function within TR after an opponent commits to boosting speed.

Fourth - Excadrill

My roster was developing a pretty glaring fairy weakness, Excadrill patches that up nicely. It also provided me a solid spread attacker with EQ and Rock Slide.

Fifth - Whimsicott

As I stated previously I knew there were two moves that I felt were essential for this team. Dusclops covered trick room but I still needed a good Tailwind setter. Whimsicott has proven to be among this generations best Tailwind users and gave my team an intimidating Fairy attack. It also serves to cover the plethora of bulky waters and "The Fish" extremely well.

Sixth - Rotom (Wash)

Lacking a good answer to Arcanine/Charizard I decided to round out the team with Rotom Wash. Again Rotom much like its cast members is a powerhouse and an immediate threat. It also allows me to scout my opponent with Volt Switch.

- Showdown Export -

The general strategy with The Show is to use Dusclops to manage speed throughout the match while using your second slot to maintain consistent offensive pressure. Ally switch will allow you to net unexpected KOs by keeping your otherwise threatened sweeper safe and moving the damage onto Dusclops instead. Alternatively if your opponent is also running a more moderate speed tier you can bring Whimsicott to set Tailwind instead. With that said this team lives and dies by making good use of Ally Switch to stay in your opponent's head.

Purpose:

Nomination for best supporting actor goes to... an absolute unit of a Pokémon. Dusclops is the anchor that holds this troop of Pokémon together, allowing for each of its partners to give their best performance. Shadow Sneak gives you a priority move for cleaning up/breaking sashes. Will-O-Wisp lets you manage the abundance of physical threats roaming the wild. Ally Switch ensures you can keep your most valuable assets on board for longer while still taking advantage of their powerful offensive pressure and damage, It also gives you a fun tool for mind games. And finally, Trick Room allows access to a hard toggle for speed, granting you the ability to shut down opposing Tailwind, Sand Rush, Swift Swim, Choice Scarf, etc. on command, or reverse an opposing Trick Room.

Threats:

| Beat-up + Steel Spike

| Taunt

| Imprison

Purpose:

Conkeldurr fills the role of bruiser bringing oppressive damage and the ability to boost attack for itself and Excadrill. Mach Punch gives it a priority answer to deal with faster opponents, Close Combat is Conkeldurr's main STAB as well as the primary button for Dynamax, Rock Slide gives it answers against Flying types such as Braviary, and Detect is taken over Protect to prevent imprison attempts. I really like bringing Conkeldurr against most leads except for Beat-Up Gimmicks and Fairies.

Threats:

| Beat-up + Steel Spike

| Fairy Attacks

| Worry Seed

Purpose:

Hydreigon acts as a straight forward special sweeper who can punch big holes in teams without requiring any setup. It has superior neutral coverage with Dark Pulse + Draco Meteor, and nabs some crucial coverages with Fire Blast and Flash Cannon. (Namely Ferrothorn and many of the more frail fairies.) Unfortunately unboosted Specs Timid Flash Cannon is not enough to OHKO something like Sylveon, but with any additional damage it can be a soft check despite its 4x weakness.

Threats:

| Fairy Attacks

| Dragon Attacks

| Fighting Attacks

Purpose:

Excadrill is critical in enabling it's fellow cast members. On D-Max it provides bulk through Iron Head and Earthquake, while in standard form it is able to act as a HARD fairy check and Spread Attacker. Earthquake lets you target down both slots with STAB, Iron Head OHKOs every fairy in the meta, and Rock Slide lets it cover Flying types who might otherwise target Conkeldurr.

Threats:

| Fire Attacks

| Fighting Attacks

| Water Attacks

Purpose:

Whimsicott gives the team coverage against Dragons and Bulky Water. Energy Ball and Moon Blast are fairly self explanatory in that regard, as they are both standard high damage coverage attacks. Tailwind is a secondary option for the team, acting as a fast mode to contend with opponents running middling speed tiers and acts as a secondary option if Trick Room looks to be a liability.

Threats:

| Fire Attacks

| Steel Attacks

| Flying Attacks

Purpose:

Rotom pulls double duty as a scout with Volt Switch and a sweeper with Thunderbolt/Hydro Pump. Thunderbolt is taken as a general STAB attack covering sun leads which would otherwise weaken Hydro Pump's effectiveness, as well as a good flying coverage, Hydro Pump helps round out the team's coverage against Ground/Rock types, and Will-O-Wisp is a strong support option for teams using multiple physical attackers.

Threats:

| Grass Attacks

| Electric Attacks

| Ground Attacks

Problematic Matchups

Despite a pretty good looking Defense Chart. I have noticed that this team struggles pretty badly with Sylveon and Gardevoir. Spread Fairy attacks threaten both Conkeldurr and Hydreigon leaving Excadrill as the only strong answer to them. Normally this would be okay since you can just Ally Switch to avoid damage, but Pixilate Hyper Voice and Dazzling Gleam being spread attacks means you have no safe option other than to switch in Excadrill. If your opponent plays around this they can neutralize Excadrill and then clean sweep to victory. Otherwise the team has not presented any glaring flaws, but I know there are improvements that can be made for sure.

Suspect Testing

As much as I love Hydreigon and I have seen great success with it, I feel like it is probably the weakest link on the team and could probably be replaced with something. In matches where there is even one Fairy with a spread attack it becomes dead weight even if it is the best answer to their other 3 Pokémon.

- Showdown Export -

Special Thanks To

ManOfDoom771 - Battle Testing
MrDonders - Rental Code

All vectors were traced/converted by me. However, the original art was not. The following artists created all of the original character designs.

Dusclops Original Art - うまお
Conkeldurr Original Art - Unrenon
Hydreigon Original Art - Girinil
Excadrill Original Art - Crino-line
Whimsicott Original Art - Cloudxmoe
Rotom (Wash) Original Art - Unknown (DM if you know who designed this piece)

Last edited:
The visuals are awesome! Thanks for putting so much time into them!

I agree that Hydreigon seems to be a weak point in your team. I would suggest looking into Dragapult or, believe it or not, Flygon as potential replacements. Here are some neat calcs:

Specs Modest Dragapult vs Assault Vest Max HP Duraludon: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Duraludon: 175-207 (98.8 - 116.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Specs Timid Flygon vs Assault Vest Max HP Duraludon: 252 SpA Choice Specs Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Duraludon: 192-228 (108.4 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you addressed, the problem with Hydreigon is the consistent usage of Fairy spread attacks. Assault Vest Duraludon is a great option to bring for those scenarios, but otherwise, Hydreigon is a great fit in many other matchups.

Thanks, I really appreciate the kind words and high praise!

Currently I am testing Air Balloon Toxtricity in the slot but I like your suggestions as well and Flygon has been a favorite of mine for a long time. I will have to try them out over the holidays and get back to you guys with my results!

Fun team and awesome write-up! I made this team on cartridge if anyone wants to try it out there. The rental code is 0000 0002 WRM4 0H.

Fun team and awesome write-up! I made this team on cartridge if anyone wants to try it out there. The rental code is 0000 0002 WRM4 0H.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! And thank you for making the rental code I would love to add it to the post if you don't mind! (of course giving you credit)

Fame and fortune await those with a will strong enough to claim it. The Show is a VGC 2020 team focused on offensive pressure and speed control. Through a combination of graceful Tailwinds, subtle Trick Rooms, and aggressive Posturing, this team looks to eliminate threats and place control over each turn in your hands. Now, on with The Show!

- Showdown Export -

First - Dusclops

Setting out with this team I knew I was going to want access to two specific moves. Tailwind and Trick Room. I considered a ton of options before eventually deciding that Dusclops would make the perfect cast member for setting Trick Rooms due to its unmatched bulk and plethora of support moves. Every team needs a base and this felt like a good place to start.

Second - Conkeldurr

After selecting my Trick Room I knew I wanted at least one TR abuser. Conkeldurr and Trick Room have been a reliable pair since the early Gen 5 Metagame and now with D-Max the Muscle Clown has only gotten even more terrifying under its effects.

Third - Hydreigon

Next, I wanted a strong nuker with good coverage options. Hydreigon has a huge move pool and massive special attack to back them up. I also really liked it's speed tier being faster than most unboosted mons but slow enough to function within TR after an opponent commits to boosting speed.

Fourth - Excadrill

My roster was developing a pretty glaring fairy weakness, Excadrill patches that up nicely. It also provided me a solid spread attacker with EQ and Rock Slide.

Fifth - Whimsicott

As I stated previously I knew there were two moves that I felt were essential for this team. Dusclops covered trick room but I still needed a good Tailwind setter. Whimsicott has proven to be among this generations best Tailwind users and gave my team an intimidating Fairy attack. It also serves to cover the plethora of bulky waters and "The Fish" extremely well.

Sixth - Rotom (Wash)

Lacking a good answer to Arcanine/Charizard I decided to round out the team with Rotom Wash. Again Rotom much like its cast members is a powerhouse and an immediate threat. It also allows me to scout my opponent with Volt Switch.

- Showdown Export -

The general strategy with The Show is to use Dusclops to manage speed throughout the match while using your second slot to maintain consistent offensive pressure. Ally switch will allow you to net unexpected KOs by keeping your otherwise threatened sweeper safe and moving the damage onto Dusclops instead. Alternatively if your opponent is also running a more moderate speed tier you can bring Whimsicott to set Tailwind instead. With that said this team lives and dies by making good use of Ally Switch to stay in your opponent's head.

Purpose:

Nomination for best supporting actor goes to... an absolute unit of a Pokémon. Dusclops is the anchor that holds this troop of Pokémon together, allowing for each of its partners to give their best performance. Shadow Sneak gives you a priority move for cleaning up/breaking sashes. Will-O-Wisp lets you manage the abundance of physical threats roaming the wild. Ally Switch ensures you can keep your most valuable assets on board for longer while still taking advantage of their powerful offensive pressure and damage, It also gives you a fun tool for mind games. And finally, Trick Room allows access to a hard toggle for speed, granting you the ability to shut down opposing Tailwind, Sand Rush, Swift Swim, Choice Scarf, etc. on command, or reverse an opposing Trick Room.

Threats:

| Beat-up + Steel Spike

| Taunt

| Imprison

Purpose:

Conkeldurr fills the role of bruiser bringing oppressive damage and the ability to boost attack for itself and Excadrill. Mach Punch gives it a priority answer to deal with faster opponents, Close Combat is Conkeldurr's main STAB as well as the primary button for Dynamax, Rock Slide gives it answers against Flying types such as Braviary, and Detect is taken over Protect to prevent imprison attempts. I really like bringing Conkeldurr against most leads except for Beat-Up Gimmicks and Fairies.

Threats:

| Beat-up + Steel Spike

| Fairy Attacks

| Worry Seed

Purpose:

Hydreigon acts as a straight forward special sweeper who can punch big holes in teams without requiring any setup. It has superior neutral coverage with Dark Pulse + Draco Meteor, and nabs some crucial coverages with Fire Blast and Flash Cannon. (Namely Ferrothorn and many of the more frail fairies.) Unfortunately unboosted Specs Timid Flash Cannon is not enough to OHKO something like Sylveon, but with any additional damage it can be a soft check despite its 4x weakness.

Threats:

| Fairy Attacks

| Dragon Attacks

| Fighting Attacks

Purpose:

Excadrill is critical in enabling it's fellow cast members. On D-Max it provides bulk through Iron Head and Earthquake, while in standard form it is able to act as a HARD fairy check and Spread Attacker. Earthquake lets you target down both slots with STAB, Iron Head OHKOs every fairy in the meta, and Rock Slide lets it cover Flying types who might otherwise target Conkeldurr.

Threats:

| Fire Attacks

| Fighting Attacks

| Water Attacks

Purpose:

Whimsicott gives the team coverage against Dragons and Bulky Water. Energy Ball and Moon Blast are fairly self explanatory in that regard, as they are both standard high damage coverage attacks. Tailwind is a secondary option for the team, acting as a fast mode to contend with opponents running middling speed tiers and acts as a secondary option if Trick Room looks to be a liability.

Threats:

| Fire Attacks

| Steel Attacks

| Flying Attacks

Purpose:

Rotom pulls double duty as a scout with Volt Switch and a sweeper with Thunderbolt/Hydro Pump. Thunderbolt is taken as a general STAB attack covering sun leads which would otherwise weaken Hydro Pump's effectiveness, as well as a good flying coverage, Hydro Pump helps round out the team's coverage against Ground/Rock types, and Will-O-Wisp is a strong support option for teams using multiple physical attackers.

Threats:

| Grass Attacks

| Electric Attacks

| Ground Attacks

Problematic Matchups

Despite a pretty good looking Defense Chart. I have noticed that this team struggles pretty badly with Sylveon and Gardevoir. Spread Fairy attacks threaten both Conkeldurr and Hydreigon leaving Excadrill as the only strong answer to them. Normally this would be okay since you can just Ally Switch to avoid damage, but Pixilate Hyper Voice and Dazzling Gleam being spread attacks means you have no safe option other than to switch in Excadrill. If your opponent plays around this they can neutralize Excadrill and then clean sweep to victory. Otherwise the team has not presented any glaring flaws, but I know there are improvements that can be made for sure.

Suspect Testing

As much as I love Hydreigon and I have seen great success with it, I feel like it is probably the weakest link on the team and could probably be replaced with something. In matches where there is even one Fairy with a spread attack it becomes dead weight even if it is the best answer to their other 3 Pokémon.

- Showdown Export -

Special Thanks To

ManOfDoom771 - Battle Testing
MrDonders - Rental Code

All vectors were traced/converted by me. However, the original art was not. The following artists created all of the original character designs.

Dusclops Original Art - うまお
Conkeldurr Original Art - Unrenon
Hydreigon Original Art - Girinil
Excadrill Original Art - Crino-line
Whimsicott Original Art - Cloudxmoe
Rotom (Wash) Original Art - Unknown (DM if you know who designed this piece)

This is a pretty good team. Idk, if you still want a Hydreigon replacement, I suggest Duraludon. Hard hitting Dragon moves, handles fairies, decent coverage. Check it:

Duraladon(M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Light Metal
Modest Nature
244 HP/252 SpAtk/12 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

I had to do a bit of tweaking before I found something that worked out, as I kept on finding that Dragapult was an issue for me if I decided to run Tailwind instead of Trick Room. So, I made a set that takes advantage of Tailwind to eliminate Dragapult as well as keep fairies off my back.

With 12 EVs of Speed, neutral-natured Duraludon outspeeds all max-speed Dragapult variants outside of Choice Scarf under Tailwind, which allows me to focus on hitting as hard as possible and taking on the hits I feel Hydreigon could not. Modest and max Special Attack EVs ensures the OHKO on Dragapult with Draco Meteor, and has 25% chance to OHKO even at -2. The remainder goes into HP to allow Duraludon a free switch in on a potential Draco Meteor from Dragapult and other opposing Dragon-types where it can immediately abuse Tailwind.

Draco Meteor and Flash Cannon are bread-and-butter, goes without saying. Duraludon 2HKOs all fairies such as Togekiss, Hatterene, and Gardevoir with Flash Cannon, while Draco Meteor does massive damage to anything that doesn’t resist it. The last two slots are kind of toss-ups, but I’ve found the most use out of Dark Pulse for flinch chance and Thunderbolt to surprise Water-types like Jellicent.

Duraludon is the compromise I made between having a Dragon-type and having an answer for Fairy-types. His purpose is to get Fairy-types off the field as quickly as possible, and can work under either Trick Room or Tailwind. It straight up bullies Whimsicott in either set up, which is pleasing to know considering how much of a nightmare it tends to be.

EDIT: I switched out Dark Pulse for Snarl for spread damage and to make taking special hits even easier. It also makes Dragapult think twice about switching into Duraludon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)