The Return of the All-Star Warrior Team

Last time, a few months ago, my idea was to have this team:

However, I realized that it lacked synergy and that's an understatement. 3 out of the 6 Pokemon (4 if Greninja becomes Grass-type due to Grass Knot) are weak towards Fire and MegaZard Y's Drought ability would only become detrimental and disadvantageous in the end. In the end, I realized it might be the better to give Lucario the position of "Mega Evolution'er".

Even though Mega-less Charizard is considered useless when it comes to OU, I still want to use it even for the mere novelty or pleasure out of using it. However, I still want to bring the best out of my team despite its "cookie cutter" status. To compensate for Charizard, I guess Golurk should take a break for now and give room to either Empoleon or Togekiss.
Just like the first version of the team, it's 3 specials and 3 physical (although Aegislash is mixed), but with Lucario becoming a Physical Sweeper whereas a Special Sweeper or Supporter will take Golurk's spot.

So, this is the team I currently have in mind. However, if necessary I could replace either Greninja or Empoleon with Togekiss. Here it goes:

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast*
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch
- Earthquake

"The Aura Pokemon has gotten a Mega Evolution that makes him an opponent you should definitely not mess with. Its ability Adaptability turns Bullet Punch into a Steel-type Extreme Speed and Close Combat into a powerful attack with 240 Base Power.
Close Combat and Bullet Punch are self-explanatory whereas Crunch functions as an attack that keeps Pokemon that are resistant towards both Fighting as Steel-type moves at bay. Earthquake is very useful when up against the likes of Aegislash or Pokemon that could bring Lucario at a disadvantage when using contact moves. I know a lot of people tend to give Lucario Swords Dance, but it seems too frail to pull it nicely off since Lucario is basically a 'Glass Cannon'.
I think Jolly is better than Adamant because it needs as much speed as possible or else it'll go #wrekt easily. Again, feel free to comment on the choices."
*I don't think it makes much difference which ability Vanillacario has (instant morphin' time), but I guess Steadfast can have more use compared to Inner Focus just in case.

Charizard @ Life Orb
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

"There's no denial that I try to make use out of Vanillazard due to fanboyism. However, I still want to pull it off effectively. Solar Power is undoubtedly the superior ability compared to Blaze. If an opponent were to use the sun for its advantage, then I guess I should make advantage of that situation as well, how common or rare it may be.
While I'm not much of a gambler, I believe Fire Blast is the better choice compared to Flamethrower even though Flamethrower has 100% accuracy. Air Slash is a nice STAB move that can damage and hopefully flinch opponents that are resistant towards Fire-type moves. Dragon Pulse keeps most Pokemon (except Fairies and Steel-types) at bay and seems to be more reliable compared to Hidden Power Grass or SolarBeam. Focus Blast's function is a gamble effort to get rid of the likes of Tyranitar and Heatran.
Charizard shares the Glass Cannon status with Lucario, so Timid > Modest (More Speed over More Power due to fragility)."

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Defog

"Scizor, the crimson warrior of the OU-tier. Two of its moves benefit from Technician, which increases the Base Power of moves with 60 or less by 50%. Adding Iron Plate and STAB into the equation, its Bullet Punch gets a higher Base Power (1.5 x 1.5 x 1.3 x 40 = 108) compared to Mega Lucario's (2.0 x 40 = 80).
U-turn is an useful 'Escape Button' attack that benefits from STAB. Bug Bite might be a bit more powerful, but it's less useful compared to U-turn I believe. Aerial Ace gets a Base Power of 90 thanks do Technician, and it gets rid of Bug-, Grass- and Fighting-type Pokemon. Alternatives might be Thief or Quick Attack, but a Dark-type attack would, for the most part, only hurt the Pokemon who were weak or unresistant to Bug/Steel-type moves to begin with. Same goes to a Normal-type attack, obviously. Superpower's drawbacks are too severe and it's not as if Heatran already outspeeds Scizor to begin with. Due to its bulkiness, Scizor is a worthy Defog'er that can protect its allies from Sneaky Pebbles (especially Charizard and Togekiss if it were to replace Empoleon/Greninja)."

Greninja
@ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

"True to its ninja origins, this Tokusatsu frog takes the type of its move before it gets used, guaranteeing STAB boost no matter what. Due to its fragile defenses, I've opted to use Expert Belt to give it a boost when facing Pokemon that are weak to one of Greninja's moves: Fire-, Ground-, Rock-, Dragon-, Flying-, Grass-, Ghost-, Psychic- and Water-type Pokemon."

I'm still thinking whether I should replace Grass Knot with Extrasensory or not.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

"Aegislash's a Power House, as long as its Blade Forme isn't exposed to sudden attacks. To prevent Aegislash from attack first, it's Speed needs to be as low as possible. Shadow Sneak only gets used when the situation is either way too urgent or safe enough to successively pull off. Sacred Sword hits everything that resists or is immune to Ghost-type moves. Shadow Ball is a nice attack that can take on Physical Walls such as Skarmory, Gliscor and Metagross. King's Shield is self-explanatory.
Since there's more emphasis on its Physical moves than its Special ones, I have chosen Brave nature over Quiet nature."

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Defog

"While the royal penguin cannot shine on the battlefield in terms of sweeping potential, it can be a welcoming Staller lead for my team. Despite having a low Special Attack, Scald still has 30% chance of burning going on and that will hurt. Ice Beam keeps Grass- and Dragon-type Pokemon at bay. I've chosen Toxic over Grass Knot because Empoleon is more of a Staller/Wall instead of a Sweeper, and I believe poisoning the opponent will be more effective compared to a tricky STAB-less Grass-type move. I'd like to have an extra Defog'er, just in case."

==Alternatives I have in mind if current team idea is far from do-able or competent==

So, I mentioned Togekiss before as a replacement for Empoleon/Greninja if the team would rather need Togekiss than one of the two Water-type Pokemon. However, if it were necessary, I could replace Aegislash/Scizor with Dragonite, so here's the idea I have for these two Pokemon if they were to replace.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

"It basically replaces Empoleon's role for the most part. However, I believe it could very well be a replacement for Greninja in terms of Sweeping potential - but that would mean it has to get rid of its Defog'er status, of course."

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Jolly Nature
- Outrage Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

"The Multiscale ability truly makes Dragonite a powerhouse of high caliber. First, I was thinking of Extreme Speed instead of Earthquake, but the first Dragon Dance will ensure Dragonite to outspeed its opponent (hopefully) anyway. Outrage and Fire Punch are self-explanatory, obliterating any Pokemon possible (with the exception of Azumarill, Carbink and Heatran - but that's why there's Earthquake)."

=========================================================

Again, feel free to suggest alternative hold items, abilities, EV spreads, natures and move sets for the above Pokemon -- and if necessary, which Pokemon I should replace with the alternatives if necessary.

Last edited:
Well the main thing that sticks out to me is 4 steel types. 3 weak to EQ and 3 weak to fire. If you lose Greninja or Chariaard early game ChoiceChomp or MegaZardX will give you trouble. I would suggest using Charizard as your mega and finding a replacement for Lucario/Empoleon. The team could use some defense, and Rotom-W might help you deal with your weaknesses. (Rotom-W is very high utility.) And since Charizard needs someone to take care of rocks a Lati@s would be a nice replacement for Lucario. The safest defogger IMO is Mandibuzz.

Rotom @ Leftovers/Lum Berry/Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Rest/Pain Split

Latios @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Hp / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Urrm I'm just putting this out there. I've tried the idea of normal zard on a team. And you do not understand the amount of switchs It causes due to people thinking he's mega zard (x or y). So I must congratulate you on you bravery to face you oponent... And make them wanna kick themselves when you get either the free switch or the extra damage. I would also like to offer you a free shiny 31/xx/31/31/31/31 level 50 greninja with 252 sp atk. And 252 spd if you interested. Pm me if you want it. (Free)

Well the main thing that sticks out to me is 4 steel types. 3 weak to EQ and 3 weak to fire. If you lose Greninja or Chariaard early game ChoiceChomp or MegaZardX will give you trouble. I would suggest using Charizard as your mega and finding a replacement for Lucario/Empoleon. The team could use some defense, and Rotom-W might help you deal with your weaknesses. (Rotom-W is very high utility.) And since Charizard needs someone to take care of rocks a Lati@s would be a nice replacement for Lucario. The safest defogger IMO is Mandibuzz.

Rotom @ Leftovers/Lum Berry/Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Rest/Pain Split

Latios @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Hp / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
Ideally, I'd like Lucario and Charizard to co-exist, and I have tried using Charizard as Mega Pokemon before - but it's Drought is too detrimental to the entire team (Aside of the Steel-types getting boosted fire in the face, it also weakens the water power of Greninja, having to rely on Grass Knot instead but that also comes with the boosted fire in the face risk).

I guess I could replace Empoleon with either Latias or Togekiss. I know Latios has more fire power, but Latias is less risky due to her higher defenses - plus, a base Sp Atk of 110 ain't that bad.

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dragon Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

I think Thunderbolt > Energy Ball because it takes more Pokemon down and it also hits most Steel-type Pokemon. If it weren't a Defog'er, Recover would be the choice, but I just let her give Leftovers to compensate for it. While I would quickly go for Dragon Pulse, I see the difference in power - and I guess I have to see Dragon Meteor more as a last resort attack.

Just a small question: is it a really BAD choice to use both Latios and Latias in the same team? I kinda see some interesting novelty behind it, which would make the team this: Mega Lucario, Charizard, Scizor, Greninja/Aegislash, Latios and Latias.

Last time, a few months ago, my idea was to have this team:

However, I realized that it lacked synergy and that's an understatement. 3 out of the 6 Pokemon (4 if Greninja becomes Grass-type due to Grass Knot) are weak towards Fire and MegaZard Y's Drought ability would only become detrimental and disadvantageous in the end. In the end, I realized it might be the better to give Lucario the position of "Mega Evolution'er".

Even though Mega-less Charizard is considered useless when it comes to OU, I still want to use it even for the mere novelty or pleasure out of using it. However, I still want to bring the best out of my team despite its "cookie cutter" status. To compensate for Charizard, I guess Golurk should take a break for now and give room to either Empoleon or Togekiss.
Just like the first version of the team, it's 3 specials and 3 physical (although Aegislash is mixed), but with Lucario becoming a Physical Sweeper whereas a Special Sweeper or Supporter will take Golurk's spot.

So, this is the team I currently have in mind. However, if necessary I could replace either Greninja or Empoleon with Togekiss. Here it goes:

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast*
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch
- Earthquake

"The Aura Pokemon has gotten a Mega Evolution that makes him an opponent you should definitely not mess with. Its ability Adaptability turns Bullet Punch into a Steel-type Extreme Speed and Close Combat into a powerful attack with 240 Base Power.
Close Combat and Bullet Punch are self-explanatory whereas Crunch functions as an attack that keeps Pokemon that are resistant towards both Fighting as Steel-type moves at bay. Earthquake is very useful when up against the likes of Aegislash or Pokemon that could bring Lucario at a disadvantage when using contact moves. I know a lot of people tend to give Lucario Swords Dance, but it seems too frail to pull it nicely off since Lucario is basically a 'Glass Cannon'.
I think Jolly is better than Adamant because it needs as much speed as possible or else it'll go #wrekt easily. Again, feel free to comment on the choices."
*I don't think it makes much difference which ability Vanillacario has (instant morphin' time), but I guess Steadfast can have more use compared to Inner Focus just in case.

Charizard @ Life Orb
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

"There's no denial that I try to make use out of Vanillazard due to fanboyism. However, I still want to pull it off effectively. Solar Power is undoubtedly the superior ability compared to Blaze. If an opponent were to use the sun for its advantage, then I guess I should make advantage of that situation as well, how common or rare it may be.
While I'm not much of a gambler, I believe Fire Blast is the better choice compared to Flamethrower even though Flamethrower has 100% accuracy. Air Slash is a nice STAB move that can damage and hopefully flinch opponents that are resistant towards Fire-type moves. Dragon Pulse keeps most Pokemon (except Fairies and Steel-types) at bay and seems to be more reliable compared to Hidden Power Grass or SolarBeam. Focus Blast's function is a gamble effort to get rid of the likes of Tyranitar and Heatran.
Charizard shares the Glass Cannon status with Lucario, so Timid > Modest (More Speed over More Power due to fragility)."

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Defog

"Scizor, the crimson warrior of the OU-tier. Two of its moves benefit from Technician, which increases the Base Power of moves with 60 or less by 50%. Adding Iron Plate and STAB into the equation, its Bullet Punch gets a higher Base Power (1.5 x 1.5 x 1.3 x 40 = 108) compared to Mega Lucario's (2.0 x 40 = 80).
U-turn is an useful 'Escape Button' attack that benefits from STAB. Bug Bite might be a bit more powerful, but it's less useful compared to U-turn I believe. Aerial Ace gets a Base Power of 90 thanks do Technician, and it gets rid of Bug-, Grass- and Fighting-type Pokemon. Alternatives might be Thief or Quick Attack, but a Dark-type attack would, for the most part, only hurt the Pokemon who were weak or unresistant to Bug/Steel-type moves to begin with. Same goes to a Normal-type attack, obviously. Superpower's drawbacks are too severe and it's not as if Heatran already outspeeds Scizor to begin with. Due to its bulkiness, Scizor is a worthy Defog'er that can protect its allies from Sneaky Pebbles (especially Charizard and Togekiss if it were to replace Empoleon/Greninja)."

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

"Aegislash's a Power House, as long as its Blade Forme isn't exposed to sudden attacks. To prevent Aegislash from attack first, it's Speed needs to be as low as possible. Shadow Sneak only gets used when the situation is either way too urgent or safe enough to successively pull off. Sacred Sword hits everything that resists or is immune to Ghost-type moves. Shadow Ball is a nice attack that can take on Physical Walls such as Skarmory, Gliscor and Metagross. King's Shield is self-explanatory.
Since there's more emphasis on its Physical moves than its Special ones, I have chosen Brave nature over Quiet nature."

Greninja
@ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

"True to its ninja origins, this Tokusatsu frog takes the type of its move before it gets used, guaranteeing STAB boost no matter what. Due to its fragile defenses, I've opted to use Expert Belt to give it a boost when facing Pokemon that are weak to one of Greninja's moves: Fire-, Ground-, Rock-, Dragon-, Flying-, Grass-, Ghost-, Psychic- and Water-type Pokemon."

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Defog

"While the royal penguin cannot shine on the battlefield in terms of sweeping potential, it can be a welcoming Staller lead for my team. Despite having a low Special Attack, Scald still has 30% chance of burning going on and that will hurt. Ice Beam keeps Grass- and Dragon-type Pokemon at bay. I've chosen Toxic over Grass Knot because Empoleon is more of a Staller/Wall instead of a Sweeper, and I believe poisoning the opponent will be more effective compared to a tricky STAB-less Grass-type move. I'd like to have an extra Defog'er, just in case."

==Alternatives I have in mind if current team idea is far from do-able or competent==

So, I mentioned Togekiss before as a replacement for Empoleon/Greninja if the team would rather need Togekiss then one of the two Water-type Pokemon. However, if it were necessary, I could replace Aegislash/Scizor with Dragonite, so here's the idea I have for these two Pokemon if they were to replace.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

"It basically replaces Empoleon's role for the most part. However, I believe it could very well be a replacement for Greninja in terms of Sweeping potential - but that would mean it has to get rid of its Defog'er status, of course."

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

"The Multiscale ability truly makes Dragonite a powerhouse of high caliber. First, I was thinking of Extreme Speed instead of Earthquake, but the first Dragon Dance will ensure Dragonite to outspeed its opponent (hopefully) anyway. Outrage and Fire Punch are self-explanatory, obliterating any Pokemon possible (with the exception of Azumarill, Carbink and Heatran - but that's why there's Earthquake)."

=========================================================

Again, feel free to suggest alternative hold items, abilities, EV spreads, natures and move sets for the above Pokemon -- and if necessary, which Pokemon I should replace with the alternatives if necessary.
Since you don't seem to mind using other pokemon in OU, the likes of krookodile, scrafty, nidoking and others come to mind for replacements

Idyll

i'm possessed the way I play my part
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Just a small question: is it a really BAD choice to use both Latios and Latias in the same team? I kinda see some interesting novelty behind it, which would make the team this: Mega Lucario, Charizard, Scizor, Greninja/Aegislash, Latios and Latias.
Using both Latios and Latias compounds weaknesses, and most of the time they can do the same thing (SubCM, Defog, Screens, etc,) while having the same offense and game plan to work with. Usually one is enough (Latias for bulk; Latios for power).

Using both Latios and Latias compounds weaknesses, and most of the time they can do the same thing (SubCM, Defog, Screens, etc,) while having the same offense and game plan to work with. Usually one is enough (Latias for bulk; Latios for power).
Then I'll just go with Latias or Togekiss to replace Empoleon. I guess Togekiss would be more on the defensive side while Latias would be more on the offensive side while being supportive (defog) and bulky (higher defensive stats).

When I think about it, the only Pokemon I really wish could stay in the team while it being do-able are: Charizard, Lucario, Greninja and Scizor. I don't really mind to replace Aegislash with Rotom-W, Garchomp or Dragonite for instance, but I don't know if that's the best choice.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)