Tournament The Official OLT X Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Cycle 4 Qualifiers

Rank #1 | ELO: 2068 | GXE: 79.4 | Record: 140-82
Rank #2 | ELO: 2066 | GXE: 84.2 | Record: 122-54
Rank #3 | ELO: 2063 | GXE: 81.8 | Record: 129-68
Rank #4 | ELO: 2063 | GXE: 87.4 | Record: 79-23
Rank #5 | ELO: 2061 | GXE: 83.2 | Record: 89-36
Rank #6 | ELO: 2060 | GXE: 84.7 | Record: 141-71
Rank #7 | ELO: 2060 | GXE: 83.2 | Record: 197-108
Rank #8 | ELO: 2056 | GXE: 84.8 | Record: 90-31​

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
As promised, I want to update part 2A of my big tera post here with complete OLT stats. To make a more accurate comparison than the one I did before, I will compare the average GXE of the qualifiers of each cycle from the first OLTs of last gen and this gen, OLT VII being the first one in gen8 and OLT X being the first one in gen9. Irpachuza kindly did the work for me for OLT VII, thanks ;)

Mean GXE per OLT CycleOLT VII (2020)OLT X (2023)
Cycle 185.25%82.92%
Cycle 284.53%84.73%
Cycle 384.39%79.31%*
Cycle 484.99%83.58%

*It's worth noting that the protagonist of OLT egalvanc purposefully tanked their gxe by spamming forfeit at the very beginning and still went on to qualify, so this does mean that the average gxe of qualifiers for that cycle is artificially deflated. By excluding egalvanc's gxe, the "true" average gxe for cycle 3 qualifiers would be 83.54%

As we can see, the average gxe of cycle qualifiers is somewhat consistently lower in gen9, with cycle 2 being the exception "inflated" by arguably the strongest players this gen, nat and vert. Even then, it only barely edges out. Ultimately, I used these stats to make a case that metagame variance was uniquely high in this gen due to tera, and these updated stats still can make that argument, but less strongly. That's ok, because this comparison is less flawed.

I think it's very interesting that from my experience, I saw very little classic HO dominating OLT given that this gen is so offensive. There was one prominent glimm+iron jugulis HO whose main appeal was having 4 mons which didn't give cinderace the chance to court change (last one being kingambit, obviously). Besides that though, I really didn't see much HO sweeping the top ranks, and I think players just intuitively understood that HO teams in a tera meta, more than other teamstyles, rely on players not knowing your sets. Knowing the HO team you're fighting is 10x easier than not knowing, whereas knowing that hsamu/lando-t/zama/zapdos/glowking/kingambit BO hstack team inside out is like 1.5x easier than not knowing. Tera types play a big big part in this knowledge gap. Because you're going to be fighting the same players and same teams over and over again, I think we saw teams trend towards fat, against my expectations.

Would be curious to hear from players why they didn't spam HO basically, because that is my own reasoning/speculation.

Last edited:
As promised, I want to update part 2A of my big tera post here with complete OLT stats. To make a more accurate comparison than the one I did before, I will compare the average GXE of the qualifiers of each cycle from the first OLTs of last gen and this gen, OLT VII being the first one in gen8 and OLT X being the first one in gen9. Irpachuza kindly did the work for me for OLT VII, thanks ;)

Mean GXE per OLT CycleOLT VII (2020)OLT X (2023)
Cycle 185.25%82.92%
Cycle 284.53%84.73%
Cycle 384.39%79.31%*
Cycle 484.99%83.58%

*It's worth noting that the protagonist of OLT egalvanc purposefully tanked their gxe by spamming forfeit at the very beginning and still went on to qualify, so this does mean that the average gxe of qualifiers for that cycle is artificially deflated. By excluding egalvanc's gxe, the "true" average gxe for cycle 3 qualifiers would be 83.54%

As we can see, the average gxe of cycle qualifiers is somewhat consistently lower in gen9, with cycle 2 being the exception "inflated" by arguably the strongest players this gen, nat and vert. Even then, it only barely edges out. Ultimately, I used these stats to make a case that metagame variance was uniquely high in this gen due to tera, and these updated stats still can make that argument, but less strongly. That's ok, because this comparison is less flawed.
Hello, I'm mostly a lurker here but I'm posting to caution against drawing definitive conclusions from such small sample sizes.

I attached some quick statistics from both OLTs (egalvanc's data point has been removed). While it does look like GXE numbers are slightly down at first glance, given the natural variation in GXE numbers (~2.7 standard deviation) and the small sample size (only 32 data points per tournament), it's very possible that nothing significant has changed and it "just so happens" that the GXE numbers this year are slightly lower.

If you run a Kolmogorov–Smirnov test on the results of both OLTs, you get a p-value of roughly 0.31 (roughly 31% probability that the two samples come from the exact same distribution). Basically, the results are not significant enough to say that GXE numbers are definitively lower this season compared to season VII.

Capture.JPG

xavgb

:xavgb:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
So obviously I didnt make it, but regardless since it's basically the end of this edition of the metagame for me, I thought I'd talk a bit about my experience laddering and drop a couple teams.

Cycle 2

1693368527241.png

*Screenshot taken today, roughly 90 of these games were played during the actual cycle

For cycle 2 I was mainly looking to get Kingambit reqs, but as usual I procrastinated the ladder session and basically left myself with one day to collect reqs and one day to ladder up from there.

Reacting to this, I decided to just use an assortment of teams from my builder and force myself to load games quickly. After trying this strategy twice, the last time being OLT in 2022, all I'll say is - DON'T do this! At least based off my experience, random and quick loading is probably the worst strategy to go into OLT with for three reasons:

1) OLT meta - Every OLT the ladder will go from a state where like 70 percent of people aren't bringing optimal teams to a state where a large portion of people around 1600 and higher will be using the most meta-relevant teams. If you are sourcing random teams from your builder, what you'll likely find is that a lot of your teams just aren't great into the tryhard stuff. I think this is extra true in current Gen 9, which features some pretty nasty offensive and defensive power creep. If you're jumping between teams in your builder too much, it'll be hard to figure out what actually works vs the meta, and that'll make it difficult to climb to where you need to be, since ideally you want to be pulling off a good ratio on high ladder (somewhere between 2 and 3 wins for every loss) if you actually want to gain points. On the other side of this point, if you're sourcing teams from other players, jumping around teams too much and rushing your games will likely lead you to have a weak understanding of the team's strengths and weaknesses which will affect your ability to climb.

2) Tilt - For me this one mostly follows on from the first point, but I think it applies to basically everyone for various reasons. Without some stability in team choice it's difficult to keep your cool, especially if you're also stretching to play more games than you'd normally want to for the sake of the tournament. Some people tilt by hax, others tilt by matchups, some people just tilt through decision fatigue. In any of these cases, constantly rotating teams and playing a million games will not help.

3) Anxiety - If you are actually doing well, you will inevitably reach a point where you're a few games away from potentially securing qualification. When you do reach this situation, you don't want to have the thought of "what am I loading" - at that point the question should be "when am I loading". In both this cycle 2 and last year's cycle where I was over-rotating teams, my performance on high ladder improved significantly when I narrowed down to 2 or 3 solid teams that would become the only team options for a high ladder game. Having good performances against other high ladder players will help you relax a lot and reduce a lot of the bouncing around your rating might be experiencing in the upper echelons of the ladder. During cycle 2 I went from 42-18 to 61-19 just sticking to two teams (with the one loss coming due to the server lagging me out of the game..). I don't think I could have gone through those points as quickly if I were loading quickly, it just means you need way more games.

Here's the two teams that saved this cycle from being a complete disaster:

1693377367946.png

1693377514588.png

(I'll drop pastes for both in the next section)

Some replays with these teams

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1920830523
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1921007386
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1920827116
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1921047093
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1919685006
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1919669044

Cycle 3

1693378519549.png

By the time Cycle 3 started I had realised that I'd need to be more careful with what I chose to load, so I came up with a shortlist of teams which I'll go through one by one. Pokepaste links will be embedded in the screenshots, just click on the image and it'll take you to the paste.

1693378670492.png

Note that this team structure allows you to run basically any pult here, although I think it should at least have special moves for the balance of the team.

As weird as this team might look, the idea is pretty simple - pivot sneasler + Garg + Moltres is a pain in the ass to try and sweep through or gain momentum against, and Samu-H is there to provide spikes for Sneasler while counteracting its incredibly weak Ghold matchup. As for the last two slots, these exist to address some of the weaknesses in the hazard game that these teams can sometimes have. Dragapult is there to do as much damage as possible while having a proactive option to stop spin, which is important in otherwise bad matchups as Sneasler balances usually rely on momentum + vibes to deal with threats (in other words, you can't let your opponent Spin 3 times with their Tusk before dying, because with the breathing room the opposing threats get from that, they might just own your team). This particular variant of Pult is good for having a wide variety of coverage to force the opponent's hand a bit, while not having to lock into anything that might allow easy setup. If I were to change the Pult set, I would probably either just run Draco > Tbolt for bax (although I'd miss the damage vs Enam/Water Garg/Dozo), or I'd just go to one of the Wisp variants, I think there's a lot of valid options there (Hex Draco dual status, Hex Wisp Darts U-turn and possibly even SubWisp are valid here imo). Treads goes in the last slot, mainly as a speed boosting elephant that can prevent the entire Sneasler core from getting overrun by hazards (a common problem when building Sneas balance). It's also pretty important here to beat stall, which is something Booster Tusk can't do, and also as a secondary Fairy resist to narrow down the number of potentially life-threatening Val sets to the team (CM sets dont usually carry Tbolt and Aura Sphere in one set). The last thing to explain would be the Garg IVs - I've been running 11 Speed IVs on Curse Garg for a while, in order to underspeed Slowking after one Curse, which leads to Slowking's teammate taking the Salt Cure instead of Slowking.

This team was overall pretty decent, main difficulties came with some variants of HO which could kinda send out threat after threat without giving the team enough time to breathe (usually Treads could at least help out vs these teams though). Some of the balance mirrors, particularly ones with opposing Garg and a generally good overall matchup were also pretty tough, particularly if their Garg wasnt water type for our Garg to own in the 1v1.

1693380404701.png

If I had to give one takeaway that I believe held true for all 3 cycles I played, it would be that CB Dnite + a booster elephant continues to be a winning combination. This entire team past the first two mons is basically just goodstuff held together with the bare minimum of synergy, wincons on wincons on wincons. There is actually a lot of defensive utility compressed in here though; Azu as always is a super reliable mon when it comes to creating positive trades with dangerous threats, and CB Nite checks a fuckton in general esp when you can almost always remove hazards at some point in the middlegame. Lando gives us easy Rocks and a pivoting option to preserve Azu and Nite's hp, and Band Meow clicking moves is often a good way to make things happen when you dont want to use your other guys. The Ghold set is incredibly funny, you sacrifice the Zap matchup post-tera and the Garg matchup in order to lay a beatdown on every other balance and bulky offense - Cinderace/Kingambit/Moltres/Samu-H/emergency Gholdengo aren't saving you from this set. Helmet lets Ghold keep pace with some of the aforementioned physical threats that would force you to click Recover a lot.

1693381223193.png

As I said on the last team, Booster Elephant + CB Dnite = wins. I technically consider this team to be a reprisal of one of the first HO teams I made this gen, seen in this replay + paste. Treads replaces Tusk as it's much better into modern stall, Wake replaces Ceruledge as the new flavour threat, and the Ghold tera changes to add some much needed defensive tera options. This team is otherwise pretty self-explanatory, leads and threats, CB Dnite over DD because it provides some immediate offensive power and the team structure can afford it. I used this team quite a lot between Cycles 2 and 3, it's pretty solid but it can get a bit annoying on OLT high ladder because it's hard to keep track of who knows what information (I had a couple people face me after watching one of my games and then Kowtow with Gambit on the Wake sub). In any case, in terms of lead-based hyper offenses I like this team the most out of the options I've seen right now, I think it's probably more reliable than the Shocks Wake teams or the anti-Court HO for current meta.

1693382411901.png

I just linked directly to the RMT by SupaGMoney for this. I think that Cyc stall is the best stall variant for the OLT meta and just generally very strong. Having the bike on the team makes it a lot easier to plan matchups thanks to Knock and enabling Ghost Mola, and this allows you to make progress much faster than other stalls. Also in a meta with some dangerous Knock Off users that form a lot of the naturally available stall counterplay, being able to get out of situations where max hazards are up can be pretty important. The fact that this is also a Corviknight stall is very helpful for the same reasons. For general guidance on the team, I would just read the RMT, but there were a couple points that I felt were important from my experience using the team. The first is keeping hazard parity vs Cinderace teams - what I mean by this is that you dont need to rush to get Spikes if having them Court Changed back to your side might create unnecessary difficulties. This can be seen in replays like this one. The only realistic danger here comes from Tusk wasting all of Mola's wishes, so with that in mind there's no rush to get Spikes court changed onto my side - I can simply wait for the Tusk to waste more attacks into Mola's Regen first, and then push through at some point in the future with Clod's Spikes. The second point that came up for me was about Teraing Cyclizar - you will run into a lot of matchups against teams whose main hope of breaking you down comes from Spikes + Knock. With Mola cores (esp ones without Flying Mola) not always holding up vs this strategy, it may be smart to consider surprise Teraing your Cyc for Spins to release some pressure. It's worth considering that the conditions for this may not always be there - this works best in situations where the Samurott isn't Boots, but it's also worth considering when it's possible to Tera Cyclizar in order to Knock a long-term Boots threat (often you may need to resist the urge to Spin the hazards on your Tera turn because Knocking the Boots is more important).

1693384116572.png

Savouras wrote about this team in his post-WCOP post so I'll just link that for most of the explanation. I didn't edit much on this team, main thing was that I wanted Knock on the Samurott for the stall matchup. For most of my time using this I thought I could get away with SD Knock Sucker (no Ceaseless because we have easy Rocks and Spikes already) but after testing that set I discovered that it fucking sucks because Ceaseless is just too broken to drop (+ you kinda get the Weav effect from last gen where you Knock something off and then realise you still want to hit it with a strong Dark move). In general I think this team is pretty strong, but defensive Tusk matchups can get pretty annoying sometimes because you have to commit a decent amount of resources to killing it with this team (unless you commit to Teraing the Ghold every game). In the end that was what stopped me from using this team more often on the high ladder.

1693384543511.png

Grouping these together because I cannot be bothered to give descriptions for three teams I didnt really use much. They did seem okay for what it's worth, the top one I considered using vs HighVoltage in the tiebreak game we never played, bottom two are fat teams that I never quite optimized but fat teams dont need to be optimized in order to knock heads in the current tier.

P.S. I forgot to add my version of the Lily sun 6 (https://pokepast.es/9f0c13eedc4d1ef7). Doesnt need a description, Cinderace just go brrr

Cycle 4

After the ending to Cycle 3, I felt like I needed to get in slightly more games if I wanted to qualify, so I decided to build some new teams and see if I could find anything I enjoyed enough to use throughout Cycle 4. Unfortunately, I just haven't been having much fun in the builder since Home dropped, and the streak continued here, so I was basically ready to pack everything up and start working on this post, when I had an idea for a compromise that might allow me to play a lot of games on the ladder without my usual anxieties and teambuilding frustrations getting in the way. At this point most of the week had already gone, so I was going to need a high volume of games in basically two days. This left me with only one option, an option that I had always believed to be impossible - I needed to have fun on the SV OU ladder.

1693385636873.png

Haha fucking whoops, 55 games is definitely not the type of output I was going for. Despite that, I did actually have some fun this week. The point of this alt was that I'd take teams that I built for the pre-Home meta, and make some small tweaks for current meta without changing the 6. The general idea was to remove some anxiety around team choices and just focus on playing lots and playing well, and tbh if I had left myself an extra day or two this might have worked. In any case, here are the teams I remastered:

1693385914452.png

Original: https://pokepast.es/4d944e3bef1dcd5d
Remastered: https://pokepast.es/983abfb0b0fa5715 (ft. Whirlwind Slither)

This team is one of my SPL teams from my game against FC. Funnily enough for a pre-home team with basically 0 edits (Slither Wing had Whirlwind for most of the original team's development too), this was actually pretty damn solid. The team consists of 3 really strong breakers + a nice little core that can pivot around on some threats and remove hazards, what else do you truly need. The drawbacks of the team have remained pretty similar in this meta as well - sometimes you can be a bit over-reliant on winning a lot of 50/50s and that will eventually get you caught out on a ladder where the strength of the players you face varies a lot from game to game. Regardless, I was positively surprised by how effective this team continues to be.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931645229
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931622861
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931657321-q4uiaahq61vjctdsvmp0xnia9jjlc0spw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931667221
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931083184

1693386982158.png

Original + OLT version: https://pokepast.es/57a861cf646e23d9

This team was built just after SPL ended, and as the name suggests I was starting to transition over to using more goodstuff at that point in the tier. The build is pretty neat and tidy, physdef Red Card Glim for Val, Ghold set could probably have more bulk nowadays but I used to use it to OHKO 0 hp Gambits after a spike, basically we're just looking at dual hazards dual ghosts with Trickscarf Val for stall and Dnite for offense. This team and the Slither Wing team were the main two teams I used on high ladder during Cycle 4

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931582973
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931676189
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931653251

1693387385151.png

awesome HO olt version - https://pokepast.es/3f3e4d5066cfd6d0
CB Slither - https://pokepast.es/1c0b5ee89c01b5eb

These were the two main teams I used for going through low ladder. I don't have much to say about either as I covered the general ideas of the first team earlier. CB Slither was pretty interesting, I don't think this was the ideal team for it but I did lead it into Wake one game and Tera Bug OHKO it, and I thought that was incredibly funny.

1693387691019.png

OLT version (Tera Normal Arboliva) - https://pokepast.es/2c816f0b963c71eb

Somehow the weirdest pre-home teams that I brought in tournament were the ones that aged the best. This was inspired by the old mncmt team where there's a Hat and a Dondozo with some stronk breakers to go with it, but Specs Arboliva breaks almost everything then and now so I didnt need multiple strong breakers. Arboliva also provides insurance vs ground types and Garg, + the typing to not allow Pult to spam Sball. Good stuff! Unfortunately the existence of Samurott makes the opponents have a much easier time than I was planning for when I built the team. Still a decent option, Tinka Dozo Hat is great into offensive threats.

Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931097455

1693388131749.png

OLT version (EQ Hands, Agility Wake) - https://pokepast.es/022467dd77287b68

Very janky team that I used against Soulwind in Smogon Tour playoffs. Nowadays I call this team the jigsaw puzzle because it only works if you string together the threats in the right order. At the time that I made this team, Booster Wake was an anti-meta breaker that could be used to force progress against basically any team without a Kanto Slowking - nowadays we have Galar Slowking with like 3 times the usage, so the breaking plans for this team get a bit weird especially vs Cinderace.

Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931661632

Now I'll drop the whole folder for remastered pre-home teams that I considered, + a couple bonus replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931631872-ougolt2xhpv0t6mvosydfgz9qb38y0npw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1931614152

Conclusion:

Although I'm really not a fan of the current meta, I do mean it when I say there was plenty to enjoy in these OLT cycles. It's a rare opportunity to be able to watch so many good players play so many public games, and also pretty rare to see ladder so laser-focused on finding broken teams. If you're new and looking to try out OLT, I'd mostly just say have fun and take your time, because even if you don't qualify it's a great opportunity to improve your game. I also think that both qualifying and improving at the game are more likely to happen if you just relax a little and think through your games a bit more than the average ladder game, I dont think that going full clicker mode is rewarded as much as people seem to think it is in this tour.

Attachments

Wcop teams thread is unfortunately closed and since I didn,t participate in OLT, this looks like the next best place to post my Wcop teams:

Round 1.

Vs Fogbound Lake.
:arcanine_hisui: :great_tusk: :corviknight: :slowking: :muk_alola: :dondozo: https://pokepast.es/b8d5bc6ee9fdad1e

At the end of pre-Home Meta, 90% of my teams consisted in Great Tusk, Corviknight, Slowking and Dondozo, with the last 2 Mons changing from team to team. The quartet checked most of the Meta and allowed big variety for last 2 slots: Glaceon, Garchomp, Roaring Moon, Kingambit, Dragapult, offensive Ting-Lu, Lilligant and a Stour winning Mismagius are some examples.
Going into Home Meta, I started with the same core. Banded Chien Pao and Skeledirge were the first successful team. When the ice cat was banned, I replaced it with a grass one, Meowscarada. That version of the team saved Zamazenta from the Ban.
Before my first battle, I made the Arcanine and Muk version, which was quite succesfull on the ladder. Regarding the original quartet, they are quite simple to explain: Tusk is the best Mon in the Tier and hits hard while removing hazards. Corviknight removes Hazards when Gholdengo isn,t present. Tera Fairy Dondozo checks most physical threats, including Kingambit (when pre-tera) and Baxcalibur. Meanwhile, Trick Room Slowking is a frustration to face for many HOs, since the rest of the team (including Arcanine) are slow enough to abuse Trick Room. Tera Electric allowed Slowking to completely nulify Regieleki first and then Zapdos. Pre-Tera, Slowking is also one of the best Walking Wake (and Rain/Sun in general) checks.
Arcanine was the Mon this version of the team was built around, he is a very cool breaker with Rock Head. One of the biggest advantages it has is outspeeding Gholdengo and OHKOing it with STAB regardless of base typing or Tera Flying.
Muk resists ghost and knocks items, while spreading poison. It has an offensive spread but with Sassy nature resists Make It Rain at +2.
This team doesn,t have Hazards and didn,t need them, it won by defensively checking almost everything before finding opportunity to break with Arcanine, Muk or Tusk.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-698545 < Arcanine had quite a good match-up vs Fogbound Lake. Unfortunately, Destiny Bond Mimikyu was not something I expected, greatly decreasing my chances to win. My early Dondozo Tera sealed the match against me.

Vs El Quixana.
:meowscarada: :dragapult: :great_tusk: :moltres: :clodsire: :cresselia: https://pokepast.es/9985e804ff1f5a46

Tired of dealing with suicide hazard leads, I decided that instead of removing hazards, I would prevent them from going up. So, I started the team with Band Bullet Seed Meowscarada, Band Dragon Darts Dragapult and Band Icicle Spear Baxcalibur. Only a few battles convinced me that Tusk was still necesary with a Moltres on the team, so I removed the ice dragon.
Moltres is a slow pivot that checks stuff, Kingambit and Enamorus among them. As always, I was paranoid about Walking Wake, so Clodsire got to be the hazard setter, as well as a Toxic Spikes absorber (you need one in Glimmora Meta). Tera Steel Cresselia is the Baxcalibur and Garganacl check that sometimes sweeps.
Most of the time this team plays aggresively early game and after some opponent offensive Mons are removed, I set hazards, pivot and prepare the field for a Cresselia sweep.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-699661 < Once again, I got quite a comfortable match-up, though it could have ended very badly if Quixana Tera'd his Zapdos on turn 1, just like I did with Pult. My plan in this battle was to prevent Cresselia from being knocked, so it could sweep despite the Garganacl. The big rock ended up falling way before Cresselia appeared and at the same time I managed to set Spikes, burn and then kill opposing Tusk and lure Gholdengo in to kill with my own after I discovered the capitalist ghost was Specs and not Scarf. Cresselia ended up sweeping as I planned to do.

Vs Le Lliolae. :delphox: :great_tusk: :corviknight: :clodsire: :dondozo: :samurott_hisui: https://pokepast.es/887443e5a047d8d3

The next few teams I built were again defensively oriented for the most time. However, this time I did use hazards. In fact, this team has both Rocks and Spikes, which Samurott provides.
You already know how the other Mons work. Delphox, the star of the team has very good coverage and steals items (such as Boots, which for my hazards is useful) with Overheat. On ladder and in test battles I used White Herb, but when the day of the battle arrived, since the Eject Pack + Magician interaction was still not fixed, I decided to take advantage of it.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-700134 < A common theme of my Wcop journey is me Teraing early. Vs Fogbound Lake the battle was already going badly, so it didn,t have such an impact. Vs LLL it did cost me the game, since the battle was still pretty undecided. LLL smartly baited my Delphox to Tera, so his Tera Fight Band Zamazenta found no opposition in Dondozo, easily destroying my whole team.

Quarters.

Vs One True Lycan. :iron_valiant: :slowking_galar: :zapdos: :great_tusk: :samurott_hisui: :kingambit: https://pokepast.es/59f2742c976a06b8

My aproach of trying to defensively check everything was clearly not working, so it was time to discard Dondozo and change Corviknight for another bird. I needed to be more pro-active, as Ruft and McMeghan repeatedly reminded me.
So, this is my way of doing offense, a team around Specs Iron Valiant, a frail but very powerful breaker. How does he get in, though? With slow pivoting, of course! Both Zapdos and Galarian Slowking (which I heavily disliked last Gen but consider really good in this one). Tera Psychic on Valiant means it has literally no counters, except for Sdef Corviknight.... which only I ever use (despite being vastly superior to Pdef one, I will die on this hill).
Tusk does Tusk things. Samurott does Samurott things, which means setting Spikes, revenge kill, knock something and sometimes sweep. Finally, the offense Overlord Kingambit was choosen as a secondary Bax and Gholdengo check. With Air Baloon, Kingambit doesn,t care about hazards and with Tera Fire, Will-o-wisp is not an issue.
Having one of the most experienced British players in Lycan, I was pretty scared going into this battle since a loss here would mean the following:
1. Team Europe would be 0-3, very hard situation to recover from.
2. If we somehow did recover from that, I was most likely benched, 3 loses out of 4 are way too much, no matter how good you are perceived as.
3. -2 on the sheet combined with 1-3 Wcop performance (I was -1 before the battle) would also make it very hard for me to get into team tour scene again.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-703549 < Once again, I was baited into an early tera, though not as game-breaking as LLL one. This time, some mistakes made by Lycan combined with Samurott setting spikes, allowed me to sweep with Queengambit and begin Europe's comeback. Fun fact, star Mon Iron Valiant didn,t even have to battle.

Semis.

Vs Achimoo. :slither_wing: :torkoal: :great_tusk: :moltres: :walking_wake: :muk_alola: https://pokepast.es/cb6d395e711c3ddf

Tie-Breaks give time to build for players that don,t participate in them and I did build a lot while Roro and Lily were finishing the Brexit. Since the beginning of the tour I have been trying to make a good Sun, and this was finally the best one I have built. Without almost opposition in just a few hours on a single day (a working day on top of that) I went from 1400 to 2000 on ladder, even Roro tried the team after that.
Slither Wing is a very effective breaker that also has priority vs offensive teams. It has many options in last slot but I decided to go with Tera Ghost Blast. Even with Muk to threaten Slowking, sometimes they dare to lead vs Sun. Slither Wing OHKOs them on the spot, just like it OHKOs any Enamorus that dares to come in. At the same time, Tera Blast is the only non contact move Slither Wing has, so Moltres and Zapdos don,t threaten our ancient moth. Slither Wing is my favorite SV legendary, so I was happy to build again a team around it.
I never liked Yawn on Torkoal, good players can play around it with Volturn and similar strats, all while wasting my precious Sun turns. So, this Torkoal puts Rocks and hits with Body Press, sometimes even Tera'ing to resist Rocks and hit even harder.
Nothing about Tusk should be explained at this point. Stone Edge murders any Moltres that wants to burn it.
Speaking about Moltres, we also have one! Neither Corviknight, nor Glowking (especially Glowking) fit very well on Sun and defensive Enamorus check is still needed. Moltres is useful as Fight and U-Turn deterrant too due to Flame Body. Meanwhile, Flamethrower hits harder in Sun, which is another plus. U-Turn is of course the most important move here, helping the Protosynthesis trio to safely come in. Tera Fairy cause we don,t have an actual Fairy.
Walking Wake is the main reason for Sun to be used, its broken in this weather. Tera Dragon is superior to Tera Water, Speed is superior to Special Attack with Wake being the fastest Mon.
Muk is a ghost check, Toxic Spikes absorber, knocker and secondary Water/Fire resist with Tera.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-705909< The Sun duel. What were the odds of facing Sun? Ironically enough, Sun was the one playstyle I didn,t have many tests against and when I saw opposing Walking Wake staring at me, I knew that the only way to win this battle was to Tera Moltres early and hope for the best. This strategy worked and Moltres also conributed greatly by burning Roaring Moon. Slither Wing managed to get his pair of kills, finishing the battle as well. This was my hardest to win battle of the whole tour.

Finals.

Vs Dasmer.
:umbreon: :typhlosion_hisui: :great_tusk: :zapdos: :slowking_galar: :meowscarada: https://pokepast.es/4c9b3d99b86da3c9

This team was built during the German week. When I rolled Umbreon and Hisuian Typhlosion in my daily Hackmons Cup battle, I didn,t expect to build such a good team. Similarly to Slither Wing Sun, I went from 1300 to 2000 in a little over a day.
Umbreon and Typhlosion have good defensive sinergy. Umbreon also heals Typhlosion with Wish and paralyzes foes, not only lowering their speed, but also boosting Infernal Parade. Umbreon checks many OU prominent Mons, such as Dragonite, Baxcalibur and sometimes even Kingambit (non Tera Umbreon easily takes 5 fainted allies +2 Iron Head or Low Kick with no posibility of flinch due to Iron Head, para cripples Kingambit). Meanwhile, Typhlosion is an insane breaker with Eruption as long as it stays at full. But if Typhlosion goes low, Blaze Blamethrower does a lot too!
Of course, Typhlosion needs to get in, preferably on opponents it can outspeed and not taking Rocks damage. So, the next 3 Mons are not surprising, they gained a very high usage in Wcop Playoffs as a core. Zapdos and Slowking paralyze things and pivot, while Tusk removes the annoying hazards.
Lastly, as a secondary Ghost resist and fast Mon, we have a Band Meowscarada. With Bullet Seed, it removes annoying otters ignoring Sash and with Tera Rock Blast, birds are not a plague anymore. Another use for Bullet Seed is Sub CM Tera Ground Enamorus, I have seen that thing often enough on ladder to worry about it. Not having U-Turn somethimes sucks, but I have learned to play without it.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-708840 < Ehm, yes, the battle. Right before it, I started feeling not well at all. I am not a fan of johning, but I really should have done it, I was not in a physical or mental state to play such an important game. As a result, I played terribly. I got the ideal match-up but was paranoid of wasting Tera early as in previous games. When I got in a position to kill Amoonguss with Eruption, I suspected Tera Water/Dragon/Fire, so scouted it. However, I didn,t do the same vs Zapdos, which costed me the game... Or so I thought, because fortunately 1. I lucked A LOT, this was the game in which I had the most hax helping me of the while tour, and 2. Dasmer played suboptimally too, many other players would have been able to defeat me even with all the luck I had, I really played that badly to allow it.

A win is a win, though, I finished Wcop with 4-2, which unfortunately wasn,t enough to win a trophy. At least I managed to give Umbreon and Typhlosion 100% win rate and contributed to Slither Wing's 100% win rate (Lily used another Slither Wing and won with it too).

Now, its time for some heat sets and cores that couldn,t be used. Pretty sure Morkal Gochan Goodbye & Thanks and 1LDK will enjoy these:

:glaceon:

Glaceon (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Ice Body
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Tera Blast
- Mud Shot

Good Mon if you can support it. My original balanced quartet did it, Glaceon can abuse Slowking's Trick Room really well. Hail boosts Defense and also activates Ice Body.

:orthworm:

Orthworm @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Earth Eater
Tera Type: Poison / Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Heavy Slam
- Body Press
- Rest

Baxcalibur, Kingambit and Garganacl check, all in one! Puts hazards too.

:honchkrow:

Honchkrow (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Insomnia
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Comeuppance

- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

252 SpA Choice Specs Enamorus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 338-402 (83.6 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 204-240 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 312-368 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 170-200 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 142-168 (35.1 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You can end someone's career if you win with this. Needs removal and Wish support. For meme crow enjoyers, you can pair with Band Tera Fire Corviknight.

:rabsca:

Rabsca @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leppa Berry
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Fairy
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Revival Blessing
- Dazzling Gleam

A whole zombie army awaits you to revive them.

:electrode_hisui: + 4 Quark Drive Mons + Alolan Raichu

Electrode-Hisui @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Normal / Grass
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Electric Terrain
- Taunt

- Explosion

5 Bullet Seeds almost always kill Samurott without Tera. Ting-Lu is Taunted and heavily damaged. You can then put Terrain right before dying, so your Quark Drive Mons (some of which should have Electric Terrain + Terrain Extender) can go wild.

:persian_alola:

Persian-Alola (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Parting Shot
- Switcheroo

A fun cat that tricks and checks set-up sweepers.

:zapdos: :corviknight: :kingambit:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 108 Def / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Roost

Corviknight (F) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Dark
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Power Trip
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up

Shogun (Kingambit) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Ghost
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave

Pressure is also fun.

:sneasler: :muk_alola: :dragapult:

Sneasler (F) @ Protective Pads
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Night Slash
- U-turn

Muk-Alola (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch
- Protect

Dragapult (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 12 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Hex

2 Poison Touch users that help Pult to spam Hex.

:forretress:

Forretress @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 192 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pin Missile
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Spikes

Fuck every HO lead that exists.

:drifblim:

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 196 Def / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Tera Blast
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball

This is actually legit in HO teams. Tusk can,t spin and if it Knocks... well, you win.

:wo_chien:

Wo-Chien @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Tablets of Ruin
Impish Nature
- Mean Look
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Leech Seed / Bullet Seed / Foul Play

Stall haters are gonna enjoy this one.

:articuno: :zapdos: :moltres:

Articuno @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Tera Blast
- Roost
- Substitute

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Discharge

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Roost

Why choose only one legendary bird when you can use all 3? The team containing this core was very far from the worst ones I built during Wcop. Articuno is a legit Mon if you commit to Tera.

:electrode_hisui: :forretress:

Electrode-Hisui @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Grass
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Chloroblast

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Payback

They are back, now with better sets. Amoonguss walls perpetually Electrode but is 100% useless vs Overcoat Forretress, who puts Spikes, checks special Valiant sets and sometimes even spins vs Gholdengo.

:masquerain:

Masquerain @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Ice Beam
- Tera Blast
- Hurricane

Webs is not the only thing this guy can do. Pair with Gholdengo + Pult to make opponent think you use Webs for maximum efficiency.

:magnezone:

Magnezone @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Mirror Coat
- Discharge

When was the last time you even tried to switch Corviknight out of Zone? Sturdy + Boots + Mirror Coat mean a nasty surprise for special attackers.

:zapdos: :cresselia: :garganacl:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Roost

Cresselia @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Lunar Dance

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Salt Cure
- Recover

What is worse than Garganacl? 2 Garganacls, of course! Cresselia restores PPs, so just when your opponent thinks he outstalled Garganacl, he is back for more salt. Zapdos also PP Stalls opponents with Sub + Roost + Pressure and can do it twice the time if the PPs are restored.
You can also have 3 Garganacls if you use Leppa Berry Cresselia + Revival Blessing Pawmot/Rabsca.
Or a lot of Garganacls if you use Restalk Lunar Dance Cresselia + Restalk Revival Blessing Pawmot/Rabsca. Endless salt will make your opponent forfeit and throw himself from a bridge.

:breloom:

Breloom (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Rock
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Force Palm
- Rock Tomb
- Bulldoze

Offensive lead Zapdos=dead. Unfortunately, when i started to use this set, most Zapdos already began to run bulky ones, so it was not very effective.

:lilligant_hisui:

Lilligant-Hisui @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Solar Blade
- Close Combat
- Tera Blast
- Defog

Extremely good set in Sun. Outspeeds Booster Valiant and can Defog to support your Iron Moth or Charizard, while murdering Gholdengo with Tera Fire Blast. Zapdos and Moltres are hard stops, but they are telegraphed switch-ins, so you can send Walking Wake and remind the birds who Mao Zedong was.

:rillaboom: :dragalge:

Rillaboom (F) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drum Beating
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch

Dragalge (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

I tried to make Rillaboom support sevearl ground weak Mons many times, ultimately failing. However, someone can make this core work, I am pretty sure.

:pelipper: :iron_moth: :blissey:

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 3 Spe
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Roost

Iron Moth @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Flying
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Fiery Dance

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Water Pulse
- Soft-Boiled

Alcohol was involved when building the Rain that contained these sets.

:regidrago: :greninja:

Regidrago @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Tera Type: Dragon
Timid Nature
- Dragon Energy
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Greninja-Bond @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Yes, Tera Poison can work on Regidrago, but he already does a lot of damage to Fairies with Earth Power and Ancient Power (OHKOs Enamorus after Rocks). On the other hand, Tera Poison won,t be expected on Greninja, so it can murder some Fairy or Grass and go wild with Battle Bond. Kingambit and Galarian Slowking are recommended partners to create an illusion they are the Fairy killers.

:primeape:

Primeape (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Rage Fist
- Rest

Useless vs everything except bulky cores, but does destroy those. The evolution should never return to OU.

:cryogonal:

Cryogonal @ Never-Melt Ice
EVs: 24 Def / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Tera Blast
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

I mean, Zapdos hates this, Tusk hates this, Glowking hates this and Gholdengo doesn,t reliably spinblock.

:sylveon:

Sylveon (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Hyper Beam

Its an Eeveelution, it had to be tried.

:torkoal: :rillaboom: :roaring_moon:

Torkoal (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Relaxed Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin

Rillaboom @ Terrain Extender
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def
Brave Nature
- Drum Beating
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Drain Punch

Roaring Moon @ Life Orb
Ability: Protosynthesis
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Tera Blast
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

252+ Atk Life Orb Protosynthesis Tera Grass Roaring Moon Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo in Grassy Terrain: 437-515 (86.7 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

:torkoal: :pincurchin: :iron_moth:

Torkoal (M) @ Heat Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin

Pincurchin @ Eject Button
Ability: Electric Surge
Relaxed Nature
- Discharge
- Spikes
- Recover
- Tera Blast

Iron Moth @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Fiery Dance
- Discharge
- Energy Ball

252 SpA Choice Specs Quark Drive Tera Fire Iron Moth Overheat vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Walking Wake in Sun: 255-300 (74.5 - 87.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock < This is comparable damage to Chi Yu.

Lots of other things were in the builder too, but I think these are enough. I intend to play lower Tiers in SCL but not sure managers have the same plan. Lower Tiers or not Tera Bug Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega is something to take in mind in DLC. Have a nice Eeveening!

Wcop teams thread is unfortunately closed and since I didn,t participate in OLT, this looks like the next best place to post my Wcop teams:

Round 1.

Vs Fogbound Lake.
:arcanine_hisui: :great_tusk: :corviknight: :slowking: :muk_alola: :dondozo: https://pokepast.es/b8d5bc6ee9fdad1e

At the end of pre-Home Meta, 90% of my teams consisted in Great Tusk, Corviknight, Slowking and Dondozo, with the last 2 Mons changing from team to team. The quartet checked most of the Meta and allowed big variety for last 2 slots: Glaceon, Garchomp, Roaring Moon, Kingambit, Dragapult, offensive Ting-Lu, Lilligant and a Stour winning Mismagius are some examples.
Going into Home Meta, I started with the same core. Banded Chien Pao and Skeledirge were the first successful team. When the ice cat was banned, I replaced it with a grass one, Meowscarada. That version of the team saved Zamazenta from the Ban.
Before my first battle, I made the Arcanine and Muk version, which was quite succesfull on the ladder. Regarding the original quartet, they are quite simple to explain: Tusk is the best Mon in the Tier and hits hard while removing hazards. Corviknight removes Hazards when Gholdengo isn,t present. Tera Fairy Dondozo checks most physical threats, including Kingambit (when pre-tera) and Baxcalibur. Meanwhile, Trick Room Slowking is a frustration to face for many HOs, since the rest of the team (including Arcanine) are slow enough to abuse Trick Room. Tera Electric allowed Slowking to completely nulify Regieleki first and then Zapdos. Pre-Tera, Slowking is also one of the best Walking Wake (and Rain/Sun in general) checks.
Arcanine was the Mon this version of the team was built around, he is a very cool breaker with Rock Head. One of the biggest advantages it has is outspeeding Gholdengo and OHKOing it with STAB regardless of base typing or Tera Flying.
Muk resists ghost and knocks items, while spreading poison. It has an offensive spread but with Sassy nature resists Make It Rain at +2.
This team doesn,t have Hazards and didn,t need them, it won by defensively checking almost everything before finding opportunity to break with Arcanine, Muk or Tusk.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-698545 < Arcanine had quite a good match-up vs Fogbound Lake. Unfortunately, Destiny Bond Mimikyu was not something I expected, greatly decreasing my chances to win. My early Dondozo Tera sealed the match against me.

Vs El Quixana. :meowscarada: :dragapult: :great_tusk: :moltres: :clodsire: :cresselia: https://pokepast.es/9985e804ff1f5a46

Tired of dealing with suicide hazard leads, I decided that instead of removing hazards, I would prevent them from going up. So, I started the team with Band Bullet Seed Meowscarada, Band Dragon Darts Dragapult and Band Icicle Spear Baxcalibur. Only a few battles convinced me that Tusk was still necesary with a Moltres on the team, so I removed the ice dragon.
Moltres is a slow pivot that checks stuff, Kingambit and Enamorus among them. As always, I was paranoid about Walking Wake, so Clodsire got to be the hazard setter, as well as a Toxic Spikes absorber (you need one in Glimmora Meta). Tera Steel Cresselia is the Baxcalibur and Garganacl check that sometimes sweeps.
Most of the time this team plays aggresively early game and after some opponent offensive Mons are removed, I set hazards, pivot and prepare the field for a Cresselia sweep.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-699661 < Once again, I got quite a comfortable match-up, though it could have ended very badly if Quixana Tera'd his Zapdos on turn 1, just like I did with Pult. My plan in this battle was to prevent Cresselia from being knocked, so it could sweep despite the Garganacl. The big rock ended up falling way before Cresselia appeared and at the same time I managed to set Spikes, burn and then kill opposing Tusk and lure Gholdengo in to kill with my own after I discovered the capitalist ghost was Specs and not Scarf. Cresselia ended up sweeping as I planned to do.

Vs Le Lliolae. :delphox: :great_tusk: :corviknight: :clodsire: :dondozo: :samurott_hisui: https://pokepast.es/887443e5a047d8d3

The next few teams I built were again defensively oriented for the most time. However, this time I did use hazards. In fact, this team has both Rocks and Spikes, which Samurott provides.
You already know how the other Mons work. Delphox, the star of the team has very good coverage and steals items (such as Boots, which for my hazards is useful) with Overheat. On ladder and in test battles I used White Herb, but when the day of the battle arrived, since the Eject Pack + Magician interaction was still not fixed, I decided to take advantage of it.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-700134 < A common theme of my Wcop journey is me Teraing early. Vs Fogbound Lake the battle was already going badly, so it didn,t have such an impact. Vs LLL it did cost me the game, since the battle was still pretty undecided. LLL smartly baited my Delphox to Tera, so his Tera Fight Band Zamazenta found no opposition in Dondozo, easily destroying my whole team.

Quarters.

Vs One True Lycan. :iron_valiant: :slowking_galar: :zapdos: :great_tusk: :samurott_hisui: :kingambit: https://pokepast.es/59f2742c976a06b8

My aproach of trying to defensively check everything was clearly not working, so it was time to discard Dondozo and change Corviknight for another bird. I needed to be more pro-active, as Ruft and McMeghan repeatedly reminded me.
So, this is my way of doing offense, a team around Specs Iron Valiant, a frail but very powerful breaker. How does he get in, though? With slow pivoting, of course! Both Zapdos and Galarian Slowking (which I heavily disliked last Gen but consider really good in this one). Tera Psychic on Valiant means it has literally no counters, except for Sdef Corviknight.... which only I ever use (despite being vastly superior to Pdef one, I will die on this hill).
Tusk does Tusk things. Samurott does Samurott things, which means setting Spikes, revenge kill, knock something and sometimes sweep. Finally, the offense Overlord Kingambit was choosen as a secondary Bax and Gholdengo check. With Air Baloon, Kingambit doesn,t care about hazards and with Tera Fire, Will-o-wisp is not an issue.
Having one of the most experienced British players in Lycan, I was pretty scared going into this battle since a loss here would mean the following:
1. Team Europe would be 0-3, very hard situation to recover from.
2. If we somehow did recover from that, I was most likely benched, 3 loses out of 4 are way too much, no matter how good you are perceived as.
3. -2 on the sheet combined with 1-3 Wcop performance (I was -1 before the battle) would also make it very hard for me to get into team tour scene again.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-703549 < Once again, I was baited into an early tera, though not as game-breaking as LLL one. This time, some mistakes made by Lycan combined with Samurott setting spikes, allowed me to sweep with Queengambit and begin Europe's comeback. Fun fact, star Mon Iron Valiant didn,t even have to battle.

Semis.

Vs Achimoo. :slither_wing: :torkoal: :great_tusk: :moltres: :walking_wake: :muk_alola: https://pokepast.es/cb6d395e711c3ddf

Tie-Breaks give time to build for players that don,t participate in them and I did build a lot while Roro and Lily were finishing the Brexit. Since the beginning of the tour I have been trying to make a good Sun, and this was finally the best one I have built. Without almost opposition in just a few hours on a single day (a working day on top of that) I went from 1400 to 2000 on ladder, even Roro tried the team after that.
Slither Wing is a very effective breaker that also has priority vs offensive teams. It has many options in last slot but I decided to go with Tera Ghost Blast. Even with Muk to threaten Slowking, sometimes they dare to lead vs Sun. Slither Wing OHKOs them on the spot, just like it OHKOs any Enamorus that dares to come in. At the same time, Tera Blast is the only non contact move Slither Wing has, so Moltres and Zapdos don,t threaten our ancient moth. Slither Wing is my favorite SV legendary, so I was happy to build again a team around it.
I never liked Yawn on Torkoal, good players can play around it with Volturn and similar strats, all while wasting my precious Sun turns. So, this Torkoal puts Rocks and hits with Body Press, sometimes even Tera'ing to resist Rocks and hit even harder.
Nothing about Tusk should be explained at this point. Stone Edge murders any Moltres that wants to burn it.
Speaking about Moltres, we also have one! Neither Corviknight, nor Glowking (especially Glowking) fit very well on Sun and defensive Enamorus check is still needed. Moltres is useful as Fight and U-Turn deterrant too due to Flame Body. Meanwhile, Flamethrower hits harder in Sun, which is another plus. U-Turn is of course the most important move here, helping the Protosynthesis trio to safely come in. Tera Fairy cause we don,t have an actual Fairy.
Walking Wake is the main reason for Sun to be used, its broken in this weather. Tera Dragon is superior to Tera Water, Speed is superior to Special Attack with Wake being the fastest Mon.
Muk is a ghost check, Toxic Spikes absorber, knocker and secondary Water/Fire resist with Tera.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-705909< The Sun duel. What were the odds of facing Sun? Ironically enough, Sun was the one playstyle I didn,t have many tests against and when I saw opposing Walking Wake staring at me, I knew that the only way to win this battle was to Tera Moltres early and hope for the best. This strategy worked and Moltres also conributed greatly by burning Roaring Moon. Slither Wing managed to get his pair of kills, finishing the battle as well. This was my hardest to win battle of the whole tour.

Finals.

Vs Dasmer.
:umbreon: :typhlosion_hisui: :great_tusk: :zapdos: :slowking_galar: :meowscarada: https://pokepast.es/4c9b3d99b86da3c9

This team was built during the German week. When I rolled Umbreon and Hisuian Typhlosion in my daily Hackmons Cup battle, I didn,t expect to build such a good team. Similarly to Slither Wing Sun, I went from 1300 to 2000 in a little over a day.
Umbreon and Typhlosion have good defensive sinergy. Umbreon also heals Typhlosion with Wish and paralyzes foes, not only lowering their speed, but also boosting Infernal Parade. Umbreon checks many OU prominent Mons, such as Dragonite, Baxcalibur and sometimes even Kingambit (non Tera Umbreon easily takes 5 fainted allies +2 Iron Head or Low Kick with no posibility of flinch due to Iron Head, para cripples Kingambit). Meanwhile, Typhlosion is an insane breaker with Eruption as long as it stays at full. But if Typhlosion goes low, Blaze Blamethrower does a lot too!
Of course, Typhlosion needs to get in, preferably on opponents it can outspeed and not taking Rocks damage. So, the next 3 Mons are not surprising, they gained a very high usage in Wcop Playoffs as a core. Zapdos and Slowking paralyze things and pivot, while Tusk removes the annoying hazards.
Lastly, as a secondary Ghost resist and fast Mon, we have a Band Meowscarada. With Bullet Seed, it removes annoying otters ignoring Sash and with Tera Rock Blast, birds are not a plague anymore. Another use for Bullet Seed is Sub CM Tera Ground Enamorus, I have seen that thing often enough on ladder to worry about it. Not having U-Turn somethimes sucks, but I have learned to play without it.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-708840 < Ehm, yes, the battle. Right before it, I started feeling not well at all. I am not a fan of johning, but I really should have done it, I was not in a physical or mental state to play such an important game. As a result, I played terribly. I got the ideal match-up but was paranoid of wasting Tera early as in previous games. When I got in a position to kill Amoonguss with Eruption, I suspected Tera Water/Dragon/Fire, so scouted it. However, I didn,t do the same vs Zapdos, which costed me the game... Or so I thought, because fortunately 1. I lucked A LOT, this was the game in which I had the most hax helping me of the while tour, and 2. Dasmer played suboptimally too, many other players would have been able to defeat me even with all the luck I had, I really played that badly to allow it.

A win is a win, though, I finished Wcop with 4-2, which unfortunately wasn,t enough to win a trophy. At least I managed to give Umbreon and Typhlosion 100% win rate and contributed to Slither Wing's 100% win rate (Lily used another Slither Wing and won with it too).

Now, its time for some heat sets and cores that couldn,t be used. Pretty sure Morkal Gochan Goodbye & Thanks and 1LDK will enjoy these:

:glaceon:

Glaceon (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Ice Body
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Tera Blast
- Mud Shot

Good Mon if you can support it. My original balanced quartet did it, Glaceon can abuse Slowking's Trick Room really well. Hail boosts Defense and also activates Ice Body.

:orthworm:

Orthworm @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Earth Eater
Tera Type: Poison / Ghost
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Heavy Slam
- Body Press
- Rest

Baxcalibur, Kingambit and Garganacl check, all in one! Puts hazards too.

:honchkrow:

Honchkrow (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Insomnia
Sassy Nature
- Comeuppance

- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

252 SpA Choice Specs Enamorus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 338-402 (83.6 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 204-240 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 312-368 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 170-200 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 142-168 (35.1 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You can end someone's career if you win with this. Needs removal and Wish support. For meme crow enjoyers, you can pair with Band Tera Fire Corviknight.

:rabsca:

Rabsca @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leppa Berry
Ability: Synchronize
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Revival Blessing
- Dazzling Gleam

A whole zombie army awaits you to revive them.

:electrode_hisui: + 4 Quark Drive Mons + Alolan Raichu

Electrode-Hisui @ Loaded Dice
Tera Type: Normal / Grass
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Electric Terrain
- Taunt

- Explosion

5 Bullet Seeds almost always kill Samurott without Tera. Ting-Lu is Taunted and heavily damaged. You can then put Terrain right before dying, so your Quark Drive Mons (some of which should have Electric Terrain + Terrain Extender) can go wild.

:persian_alola:

Persian-Alola (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Parting Shot
- Switcheroo

A fun cat that tricks and checks set-up sweepers.

:zapdos: :corviknight: :kingambit:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Roost

Corviknight (F) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Power Trip
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up

Shogun (Kingambit) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave

Pressure is also fun.

:sneasler: :muk_alola: :dragapult:

Sneasler (F) @ Protective Pads
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Night Slash
- U-turn

Muk-Alola (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch
- Protect

Dragapult (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 12 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Hex

2 Poison Touch users that help Pult to spam Hex.

:forretress:

Forretress @ Loaded Dice
EVs: 192 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pin Missile
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Spikes

Fuck every HO lead that exists.

:drifblim:

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 196 Def / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Tera Blast
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball

This is actually legit in HO teams. Tusk can,t spin and if it Knocks... well, you win.

:wo_chien:

Wo-Chien @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Tablets of Ruin
Impish Nature
- Mean Look
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Leech Seed / Bullet Seed / Foul Play

Stall haters are gonna enjoy this one.

:articuno: :zapdos: :moltres:

Articuno @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Tera Blast
- Roost
- Substitute

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Discharge

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Roost

Why choose only one legendary bird when you can use all 3? The team containing this core was very far from the worst ones I built during Wcop. Articuno is a legit Mon if you commit to Tera.

:electrode_hisui: :forretress:

Electrode-Hisui @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Chloroblast

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Payback

They are back, now with better sets. Amoonguss walls perpetually Electrode but is 100% useless vs Overcoat Forretress, who puts Spikes, checks special Valiant sets and sometimes even spins vs Gholdengo.

:masquerain:

Masquerain @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Ice Beam
- Tera Blast
- Hurricane

Webs is not the only thing this guy can do. Pair with Gholdengo + Pult to make opponent think you use Webs for maximum efficiency.

:magnezone:

Magnezone @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Mirror Coat
- Discharge

When was the last time you even tried to switch Corviknight out of Zone? Sturdy + Boots + Mirror Coat mean a nasty surprise for special attackers.

:zapdos: :cresselia: :garganacl:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Roost

Cresselia @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Lunar Dance

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Salt Cure
- Recover

What is worse than Garganacl? 2 Garganacls, of course! Cresselia restores PPs, so just when your opponent thinks he outstalled Garganacl, he is back for more salt. Zapdos also PP Stalls opponents with Sub + Roost + Pressure and can do it twice the time if the PPs are restored.
You can also have 3 Garganacls if you use Leppa Berry Cresselia + Revival Blessing Pawmot/Rabsca.
Or a lot of Garganacls if you use Restalk Lunar Dance Cresselia + Restalk Revival Blessing Pawmot/Rabsca. Endless salt will make your opponent forfeit and throw himself from a bridge.

:breloom:

Breloom (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Rock
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Force Palm
- Rock Tomb
- Bulldoze

Offensive lead Zapdos=dead. Unfortunately, when i started to use this set, most Zapdos already began to run bulky ones, so it was not very effective.

:lilligant_hisui:

Lilligant-Hisui @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Solar Blade
- Close Combat
- Tera Blast
- Defog

Extremely good set in Sun. Outspeeds Booster Valiant and can Defog to support your Iron Moth or Charizard, while murdering Gholdengo with Tera Fire Blast. Zapdos and Moltres are hard stops, but they are telegraphed switch-ins, so you can send Walking Wake and remind the birds who Mao Zedong was.

:rillaboom: :dragalge:

Rillaboom (F) @ Terrain Extender
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drum Beating
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch

Dragalge (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

I tried to make Rillaboom support sevearl ground weak Mons many times, ultimately failing. However, someone can make this core work, I am pretty sure.

:pelipper: :iron_moth: :blissey:

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 3 Spe
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Roost

Iron Moth @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Fiery Dance

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Bold Nature
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Water Pulse
- Soft-Boiled

Alcohol was involved when building the Rain that contained these sets.

:regidrago: :greninja:

Regidrago @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Tera Type: Dragon
Timid Nature
- Dragon Energy
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Greninja-Bond @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Yes, Tera Poison can work on Regidrago, but he already does a lot of damage to Fairies with Earth Power and Ancient Power (OHKOs Enamorus after Rocks). On the other hand, Tera Poison won,t be expected on Greninja, so it can murder some Fairy or Grass and go wild with Battle Bond. Kingambit and Galarian Slowking are recommended partners to create an illusion they are the Fairy killers.

:primeape:

Primeape (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Rage Fist
- Rest

Useless vs everything except bulky cores, but does destroy those. The evolution should never return to OU.

:cryogonal:

Cryogonal @ Never-Melt Ice
EVs: 24 Def / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Tera Blast
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

I mean, Zapdos hates this, Tusk hates this, Glowking hates this and Gholdengo doesn,t reliably spinblock.

:sylveon:

Sylveon (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Hyper Beam

Its an Eeveelution, it had to be tried.

:torkoal: :rillaboom: :roaring_moon:

Torkoal (M) @ Heat Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin

Rillaboom @ Terrain Extender
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def
Brave Nature
- Drum Beating
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Drain Punch

Roaring Moon @ Life Orb
Ability: Protosynthesis
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Tera Blast
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

252+ Atk Life Orb Protosynthesis Tera Grass Roaring Moon Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo in Grassy Terrain: 437-515 (86.7 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

:torkoal: :pincurchin: :iron_moth:

Torkoal (M) @ Heat Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin

Pincurchin @ Eject Button
Ability: Electric Surge
Relaxed Nature
- Discharge
- Spikes
- Recover
- Tera Blast

Iron Moth @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Fiery Dance
- Discharge
- Energy Ball

252 SpA Choice Specs Quark Drive Tera Fire Iron Moth Overheat vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Walking Wake in Sun: 255-300 (74.5 - 87.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock < This is comparable damage to Chi Yu.

Lots of other things were in the builder too, but I think these are enough. I intend to play lower Tiers in SCL but not sure managers have the same plan. Lower Tiers or not Tera Bug Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega is something to take in mind in DLC. Have a nice Eeveening!
Jirachi approves your heat sets

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)