The Next Best Thing v3

The Next Best Thing...
credit to fatty & Novaray for most of the op and the idea
approved by Harsha
OP wrote by JoeyBoy

Artwork by Bummer.

What is this?:

I for one, along with many others I'm sure, feel as though there is some untapped power within the OU environment. There is substantial evidence for this idea in the form of one commonality for most tiers, OU included: there always seems to be one or more new-fangled, hyped up sets that weren't originally main-stay or seen as "viable" by the community, but somehow has taken the metagame by storm. This can be seen in DPP OU (with Special Lucario transitioning to SD Lucario, Heatran eventually running items other than Choice Scarf, and the influx of ChestoRest Kingdra) in ADV (with the vaunted TyraniBoah now becoming almost an urban myth in comparison to Special and DD Tyranitar, and the increasing popularity of SupeRachi) and in BW OU (with the advent of SubSalac Terrakion, SubDisable Gengar, and ChestoRest Volcarona). Yes, some of these sets may have been found early on with respect to the creation of the tier or fairly recently, the point is, though, that there seems to be an endless supply of effective and potent sets out there yet to be discovered, especially factoring in metagame swings and the possible tier shifts. The purpose of this project will be to systematically subject each and every OU Pokemon to a collective body of research in an attempt to uncover these "hidden gems", so to speak, and hopefully spark some creativity throughout the OU community.

The Process:

Each week, I will choose a different OU Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiousity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site. Participants will be given 3 days to create their set, with discussion about the particular sets being promoted throughout, and on the 4th and 5th day, a vote will be held to choose which user's set represented the most creative and simultaneously competitively viable set to utilize in the current OU metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is crowned, the set will be archived in the OP and the process will start all over again for the next Pokemon specimen.

What are we looking for?:

Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential. Having said that, I would also like to deviate from simple one move / item changes. For example, using Steel Gem over Choice Band on Scizor does nothing to show any untapped potential Scizor has because we already have a basic understanding of what Scizor does. The same goes for using Draco Meteor over Fire Blast on DD Salamence, it doesn't yield productive discussion or results for the project. I am looking for sets that test what we think we know about checks or counters, so-called standards, and what it means to be viable. Maybe a particular option for a Pokemon looks inferior at first glance for that particular Pokemon, but dig deeper and try and find what it might mean in the big picture, for the entire team.

If the Pokemon you nominate has an onsite analysis, or I deem it to closely resemble an onsite analysis I reserve the right to not include your Pokemon.

The next test subject is...

Some things to consider:
  • What is thought to "counter" this pokemon?
  • Is there anyway to bypass this pokemon's so-called "counters?
  • What moves are seldom used on this pokemon, but have the most upside?
  • What niches can this pokemon potentially fill in the current metagame?
  • What opposing pokemon does this pokemon do well against?
  • How can this pokemon benefit it's teammates?

Archived Sets

Era of Alexander. Archive

Abomasnow
- Vertex

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
Specially Defensive Christmas Tree is definitely a real thing. It puts jack over all those stupid Politoed's, takes on Dragonite like a troll, and destroys bulky water-types which are so prominent in this metagame. Blizzard hits like truck and can give Ferrothorn a beating who is immune to Leech Seed. Since this set can stall out lots of things, it's great for weakening things for a late-game sweep. Hidden Power [Ground] Volcarona loves this for example because Abomasnow can destroy Salamence and Dragonite who wall Volcarona's coverage and Volcarona destroys Heatran with HP Ground which is Abamosnow's worst enemy. This set will definitely be more effective if Keldeo is gone, since rain teams have only a few tricks up their sleeves to get got rid of the Frostbite.
Gengar - Nova

Gengar @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunder
I've been using this Gengar set on a Rain team of mine and it works really well. Life Orb boosted Shadow Ball and Focus Blast hit extremely hard and have great coverage together. Thunder is really useful as it OHKOs the Water types that can normally take a Shadow Ball including Politoed, Keldeo, and Gyarados and does a nice 80.8 - 95% to 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel, which is an OHKO about half the time with Stealth Rock up. The other interesting draw of this set is Destiny Bond. I'll use Destiny Bond against things like Ferrothorn if I don't want to risk the Focus Blast miss, that can give my team trouble and I don't want it setting up too many hazards. Usually Ferrothorn will Gyro Ball in fear of letting Gengar getting up a free Substitute, and the tradeoff is usually worth it. This Gengar works well in that it can hit both extremely hard and provide support for the rest of the team by Destiny Bonding a troublesome Pokemon.
Latias - Spinda

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Spd / 184 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish
Standard LO Tank with Healing Wish over recover, it works wonders on offensive teams ( as Latias is the most offensive healing wish user ) because recovering often loses you momentum anyway, it performs as a normal LO tank but it has the opportunity to surprise your opponent and revive a statused, weakened pokemon in a pinch, which often helps A LOT in winning the weather war or preparing a lategame sweep, as people play a lot more careless with their counters to your pokemon when they assume it's practically dead. Healing wish is also the best move for Latias to do to when it's about to get pursuit trapped anyway :] This beautiful Latias has turned games around for me plenty of times.
Latios - Spinda​

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- SolarBeam
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sunny Day
252 SpA Life Orb Latios SolarBeam vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 341-403 (88.34 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi in sun: 221-260 (54.7 - 64.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in sun: 463-546 (131.53 - 155.11%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios SolarBeam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Politoed: 341-403 (88.8 - 104.94%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
This serves as a band Tyranitar lure, which also has the ability to severely dent jirachi. Besides that, it also serves as weather control for weatherless teams, and backup sun for sun teams. ( It's 1 AM, sorry for short description. )
This set still has trouble with heatran, so make sure you have a good answer for that, but I feel like it has more general utility than EQ sets do.
You can use colbur berry if you want to have a chance at beating scarf/support tar, but its at the cost of a significant amount of power, and you'll still get ohko'd by bandtar crunch
Keldeo - Spinda

Keldeo @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
I've found myself using this set on some weatherless teams, as they frequently have issues with sun.
It's also a great way of spamming powerful rain boosted hydro pumps while still having tyranitar's pursuit support. On top of that, it's a great partner for Kingdra, as it provides rain support while they're also amazing at significantly weakening eachothers checks.
Hidden powers can of course be adjusted to the teams needs, but I wanted to avoid a slashfest

Last edited:
The next subject is the Electric Genie Pokemon, Thundurus-T!

You guys can also check the past subject (v1 and v2's subject on the thread The Next Best Thing v2). Hope you will enjoy this thread.

Good luck guys, this is a tough one.. Can't say I can immediately think of a set that's not on-site that's very good.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 176 Spd / 252 Atk / 80 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Fly
- Wild Charge

A definite change on standard thundy. This one takes a more long-term approach. It can sub up against ferro/rachi/etc. switch ins and then proceed to bulk up, either on the switch or as they attempt to break the sub. It can then attack or squeeze in another bulk up. Fly is its best physical option, and although unreliable it can do a number to many pokes and aids with leftover recovery. Wild charge is other obligatory stab, offering very nice coverage.

Last edited:
Thundurus-T@Life Orb

Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spd/4 HP
Timid Nature
- Charge Beam
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

Most of the times Thundurus-T needs the grass and fighting coverage but can only run one on a boosting set: with Charge Beam Thundurus-T can easily set-up and sweep, and with both Grass Knot and Focus Blast it can be nightmarishly difficult to deal with.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Wild Charge
- Crunch
- Substitute / Hammer Arm

Thundurus-T is usually seen as either a Double Dancer set or as an Expert Belt user. This set, although a bit gimmicky, functions completely differently. For starters, this set is a little slower and a bit bulkier. Bulk Up is an interesting move on Thundurus-T, and it is a pretty interesting option. After 1 Bulk Up, thanks To Thundurus-Ts solid resistances, it can set up on and beat Ferrothorn, Specially Defensive Jirachi, Specially Defensive Celebi, and Scizor the name a few. The solid Attack stat allows this set to be possible, as otherwise it just wouldn't be strong enough to hit hard. Wild Charge is the primary STAB attack which at +1 can damage many neutral threats pretty strongly. Crunch is there because of the common Latias / Celebi switches. This way you can do a decent amount to them as they come in, and you can actually damage them to a pretty solid extent. The final move can be either Substitute or Hammer Arm. Substitute does well if you want to set up on threats like Jirachi or Celebi easier, while Hammer Arm can be useful for immediate damage. At +1 you do quite the amount to a lot of common stops such as Ferrothorn, but outside of that it doesn't have too much use. Overall, it is an interesting set that does deserve some recognition. While it may not enjoy being slapped on the standard team, it definitely can be used. Support in the form of hazards is always helpful, and a Pursuit Trapper or something that breaks Gastrodon is even better, as it puts a full stop to this set unless you decide to run Grass Knot > Substitute, which is a viable option.

Last edited:

Thundurus-T @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Evs: 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder

- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast/ Grass Knot

Lost the weather war with your rain team? Is your weatherless team dominated by abusing Chlorophyll and Sand Rush sweepers? Well all your problems can be solved by the use of Rain Dance Thundurus-T! Rain Dance can benefit both Thundurus-T and his teammates. First, it gives perfect accuracy to his most powerful STAB Thunder which hits ridiculously hard with base 145 Special Attack and a life Orb. Then, If he goes down, a teammate such as Keldeo, Kingdra Scizor can use the set rain for their advantage. Most importantly though is the use of rain to disrupt other weather and put other teams at a great disadvantage.

4 Def Evs opposed to HP for an odd hp number to minimize Life Orb recoil. FB and GK are slashed depending on whether you want to hit T-Tar or Gastrodon/Hippodown Harder

Last edited:

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Thundurus (Thundurus-T) (M) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 8 HP / 152 Atk / 96 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Taunt
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is StallBreakerThundurus. I use that set in a lots of my teams because it is very strong. Taunt is a nice move to block Status, Hazardz, Seeds and Recovery moves. Superpower is Ohko on Tyranitar and do a great damage on Blissey, who can't recover hp with Wish/softboilded. He also broke skarmbliss core with Superpower+Taunt+Thunderbolt. 8 evs in hp to tank 3 seimsic toss of Chansey/blissey and be 4 ohko. Hp ice is the classic move to ohko dragonz and gliscor/landorus. It could be a nice mode to ohko istant ttar and win the WWar. He stall also Hippowdon(eccept with Ice fang/stone edge) and is KO after SR on Abomasnow =)

Last edited:
The thing I don't like about stallbreaker thundy is that stall is already so threatened by the NP set that I don't even see the point

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
This set is istant stall breaker and work more quickly

ok so you guys can vote for:

MikeDawg's Bulk Up set
vyomov's Charge Beam set
PDC's other Bulk Up set
mosox's Rain Dance set
SnowCristal's Taunt Wallbreaker set

you have as always 3 days to vote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)