Rotom-F @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice / Thunderbolt
- Rest

This ChestoResto Rotom-F allows rotom to bluff being choiced so you can nail Ground-types that think you are locked into Volt Switch or other scenarios such as Grass-types that think you are locked into Thunderbolt. The advantage that this has over Expert Belt Rotom is its survivability which allows it to use Rest after some SR switch-ins as well as Resting on Sucker Punches from the likes of Skuntank and Cacturne. It also allows Rotom to not care about status such as T-wave since it can just Rest it off later. This Rotom is really cool and fits on a multitude of teams, and lures out Ground-types allowing mons that benefit from Ground-types being gone to sweep such as Kangaskhan, Arbok, Skuntank, or even something like Raichu.

I use Rotom-s on my NU Rain Dance team. I use it in conjunciton with Seismitoad, and together they both bring a very good defensive core that rain team like to have. This is because what counters Rotom-s is countered by Seismitoad. For instance, anything that resists Rotom-s is in definition a check, and that's a pretty big percentage of the metagame at this moment. Rotom-s could use HPGrass in order to get past these so-called counters, like Golem. Cradily, however, can counter Rotom-s even if it holds HPGrass, as it doesn't take very much damage from Air Slash.

The set I use is:
Rotom-s @ Damp Rock
252HP/4Def/252SpA
Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)
-Rain Dance
-Pain Split
-Air Slash
-Thunder

You can use HPGrass or Volt Switch over Pain Split, if need be. I use this set in conjunction with standard Rain Dance Seismitoad 252SpA/96HP/160Spe Modest, however, it uses Stealth Rock over Veno Shock. As I mentioned above, they are a great defensive core on rain dance teams. I should also mention that I've used these two as a core for a couple months now, before Cinccino and friends moved up from NU, actually, and they both still work very well together. Perhaps they work even better now, due to Cinccino moving up and having both Bullet Seed and Rock Blast, moves that can deter both Rotom-s and Seismitoad.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Rotom-Fan / -Frost @ Ring Target
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 4 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Air Slash / Blizzard
- Substitute / Volt Switch

Tired of Ground-types ruining your Volt Switching fun? Now you can do something about them! It does seem gimmicky, but there's more to simply removing their immunity to Electric simply to allow unpunished Volt Switches. Note that Ring Target only removes immunities regarding typing, so immunities via abilities still remain.

Most Rotom switch-ins have at least one immunity, even if it's not Electric. Shedding that immunity gives your fellow sweepers an easier time spamming moves. An unsuspecting Golurk now finds itself helpless before Sawk's CB Close Combat. Bulky Normal-types such as Licklicky or Miltank dislike losing their Leftovers and being susceptible to Shadow Balls. All of a sudden, Seismitoad is staring down an Electric weakness as opposed to an immunity. A Skuntank looking to trap/revenge kill you risks being exposed to Psychic moves and Toxic, and that's just the tip of the iceberg of what you could do by stripping a target of its immunity and item.

Rotom could run Substitute to usher its usual checks/counters to switch in. The health lost can be regained with Leftovers if you managed to steal them. Thunderbolt can be used to take on the Ground-type Rotom check right there and is a strong Electric move that doesn't force you out.

Rotom-Fan lures Ground types better due to the lack of super effective STAB that destroys them, allowing you to Trick them and Volt Switch away (another Electric-type as a partner is recommended); Rotom-Frost on the other hand isn't as bothered by Lightningrod/Motor Drive pokemon as much as its couterpart, and can use this set to turn the tables on its greatest counter, Piloswine by robbing it of not just its immunity, but also its Eviolite, which you can quickly dispatch of it with Thunderbolt right after.

@Adam Lambert: I always use Rotom-S on NU Rain. Otherwise I think it's better a Timid nature, increasing the speed. That's very important to set rain, no matter what! :]

Furthermore, Volt Switch (that you have just mentioned) vouch for incoming Swift Swim teammate, less than type-ground.

Rotom-S @ Damp Rock Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Rotom-Frost/Fan @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]/[Ice] / Thunder Wave

This set is meant to be used on HO teams who are in need of Dual Screens support. Light Screen and Reflect make it easier for otherwise frail sweepers to set up, while Volt Switch lets you bring in a frail sweeper who can then set up under screens. The last slot is mostly filler, but HP Grass (or Ice if you're using Rotom-Frost) can be used to hit a Ground type that might try and come in on a Volt Switch. Thunder Wave is an option if you'd like to hit fast sweepers who think they can switch in on you setting up screens, but it makes this set weaker to Ground types.

Rotom-F Chesto Berry looks the best set so far imo, probably I would use a bulky evs spread and Will-O-Wisp. Something like Volt Switch / Hidden Power Ice / Rest / Will-O-Wisp. More defensive oriented thought.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
@ Quasar, HP investment isn't a bad thing for rain dance setters, as you can survive more hits, and if it has volt switch (like it should have), it can be a slower volt switch to get no damage in on your sweepers. That being said,

Rotom-Frost/Fan @ Water Gem
EVs: 252 SA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Water
- Will-o-wisp/Shadow Ball/ Thunderbolt

This set is supposed to bluff the infamous choice scarf set with common moves air slash and volt switch. However, these last two moves fill the role of touching rock and ground types that generally halt Rotom-S. Hidden Power Water with a water gem will do significant amount of damage to all lead pokes, and most can be 2HKO between an air slash and HP water. Piloswine and Regirock Are going to take over half with water gem, but can take 2 hidden power waters. Will-o-wisp can be used to contain them somewhat. Ghost Gem and shadow ball could take its place if you're that scared of Golurk, though it's not going to kill without prior damage. Timid and max speed are a must to outspeed Choice band sawk, non-scarfed braviary and all 85 based pokes. HP water hits armaldo, probopass and bastiodon better, but if you're scared of seismetoad, HP grass can be used.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not as many sets as last time, but still there's a good amount! Time to vote, anyway. You have two days to vote for your favourite Rotom-S/Rotom-F set!

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I feel like Keiran's is probably the most viable set posted. Hex is really gimmicky, but a) it can work and b) you offer an alternative that is always going to be reliable. I feel like the best non-choiced Rotom-F/S sets should bluff scarf. This set does that while also luring in would-be checks and disposing of them. Plus, a will-o burn can be huge against the right switch-in.

That said, a lot of them were pretty good, but I feel like Keiran's best lures and beats Rotom's counters.

That said, I vote for a democratic smogon.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would vote for Annoyer's but that is the same set I see with Rotom-Wash in OU.
So I would vote for Audiosurfer's set. Don't know why it hasn't received any votes. I know people will prefer offensive sets, but it makes perfect sense to have dual screens and volt switch thanks to great bulk from Rotom. I would think a non-max speed rotom with a slow volt switch to get in sweepers for free could also work.

Punches' is pretty cool. I like the idea of Rotom-S holding a crippling item that doesn't actually burden it before it is tricked(Levitate + Flying type gets the last laugh after all)

I'll vote Keiran though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)