The Newest Catholic Church Uproar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when is (the catholic god, hence simply God even if the catholic god is not God, but PM me for that if you want an explanation ) responsible for human biology? I thought that was random chance and evolution...
Only if you believe in evolution. If he created everything (even though recent retranslations of Genesis suggested he did not) then he is directly responsible for it. Even with evolution in the picture people just claim he guided the evolution to our present state, so I would say that he is responsible if you subscribe to such beliefs.

Since it's not God's fault that men can't give birth, you can't use that as an argument to say that he may want different things for men and women. Who knows, maybe he would have wanted both men and women to give birth. It just so happen that species who normally reproduce assexually have less chance to survive in the long run. So most of them have gone extinct

The bolded part is outright wrong. Viruses, bacteria, archea, even some reptiles get away with it pretty successfully. Hell, bacteria are several orders of magnitude (to say it modestly) more numerous than sex loving animals.

I wasn't saying that God loves everyone equally and therefore women should be ordained. The ideas were mutually exclusive in that I was demonstrating to X-act why women wouldn't have been treated differently than men in the eyes of the lord at least as far as not being a prick to them is concerned. I just wanted that clarified because I don't want to get lumped in with Jack Jack here.

I don't believe in evolution, I know (a little) about it, which is very different.

I was not specific enought : I meant species who have less than a million offspring in a year have less chance to survive if they reproduce assexualy most of the time.

Species who do not reproduce sexually make up for less varied gene pool with overwhelming population. Has mammals do not lay eggs by the millions, and as our offspring take time to mature, if there was a human who reproduced assexually in the past, he has no descendance today.

This is an attack against the pope, It may offend you
XD Seriously thought, the Pope is the most well placed man in the world to know that this whole God business is bullshit, and yet, he doesn't anyone about it? why? XD

I find the above comment funny owing to the fact that it makes me picture the Pope talking with the high father, with the high father telling the pope that he created the world by accident and that he plan on ending it shortly and that He is sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime, unnaware that we enjoy existing quite a lot.

I like to picture God being silly.

back on topic :

I wasn't saying that God loves everyone equally and therefore women should be ordained
I know, it is me who said that.

Quite frankly if someone thinks the priesthood is a position of power they probably shouldn't become a priest. The priest is supposed to be a servant to the laity. They are supposed to shepherd them to God, yes, but ultimately they, with Christ as the example, are to be the servants of the laity. To rail against the church because they aren't allowing you to become a priest based on the theological message they've laid out since their inception either means the person complaining has a very narrow vision of contributing to God's work or views the priesthood as a privileged class rather than a servant class. That is an entirely wrongheaded approach suitable only to feed prejudices and stoke hatred.
It does not matter what priesthood is "supposed" to be. It only matters what it is. No matter how you cut it, priests, and a fortiori higher positions in the hierarchy, are in a position of power. Therefore, the problems that normally plague positions of power will occur in clergy just as much as they will occur elsewhere, and indeed there are numerous examples of the Church turning into a murderous engine in order to keep its "share" of followers and the riches that they produce. Of course, religion does not do this, but human nature does, and for this reason the very existence of the Church is morally irresponsible. It cannot do what it is "supposed" to do.

I find the Catholic Church thus to be one of the least misogynistic organizations in the world. The Catholic Church never rejects help from anyone, in fact, many of the most ardent Catholics working in the cities are women. I have met more strong Catholic women who pour their hearts and souls out for people despite the things they have to sacrifice for it. If anything it is the men who have abdicated their duties in the Catholic Church, not the women.
So if 90% of a nation's wealth is produced by women, but women have no right to vote, it is not misogynistic?

The Catholic Church is in fact the best organization for progress because it does not "get with the times," dragging itself ever lower into the pit of the dumbed-down society. Change for the sake of change isn't progress, it's barbarism, only by keeping tradition and knowing history can a decent society be maintained.
Sure, there's nothing wrong with keeping tradition, unless it's a steaming pile of horse shit. Only a fool would consider as axiomatic that Catholic traditions are optimal and should not be changed.

Since it's not God's fault that men can't give birth, you can't use that as an argument to say that he may want different things for men and women. Who knows, maybe he would have wanted both men and women to give birth. It just so happen that species who normally reproduce assexually have less chance to survive in the long run. So most of them have gone extinct.
Sexual reproduction does not require differentiated genders. For example, every human could function as both genders, choosing who gets to bear the child. Or sex could result in both partners bearing children at the same time. Sure, evolution probably favors other pathways, but if this was to happen anyway (say, by God's intervention), it would be viable.

In any case, this is a red herring. It is perfectly within God's power to create immutable species and completely undercut evolution and genetic drift by making the genes of offspring unrelated to the genes of their parent(s), or by delivering pre-made children by stork. While he's at it, through clever design, God could have made our bodies impervious to damage, he could have prevented all diseases and genetic defects from ever occurring, he could have made us nicer people, and so forth. He simply has no excuse not to do what he wants.

I didn't mean to raise an evolution/biology argument; that wasn't the point.

My point was simply that there are differences between men and women regardless of God's love for the two. I don't agree with the Catholic Church not ordaining women on the basis they do, but you can't argue against it just by saying "God loves them equally so they should be equally positioned in the Church".

You cannot compare social system to biological function, it does not work. Men can't give birth. Unless they undergo sex change. With assited procreation.

Well... it seems men CAN give birth after all. Probably because God love us, so he made us smart enough to get past some basic biological limitations. If we can have men to give birth, why can't we have women to be ordained?

I don't see why we should need a justification to ordain women in the first place. Ordaining women should be considered what the church does by default. They need a reason NOT to ordain them, not the opposite. Discrimination is not status quo, therefore, it requires justification.

now could be the right time. It's pretty clear that the current dogmatic views of the church, regardless of the original intent, are simply not as progressive as they could be. So, until the church is ready, the time isn't right. Forcing a woman ordination down the throats of catholics who are unready would be pretty nasty, considering how many have strong feelings about it one way or the other.

Unfortunately, as always, the slowest tend to set the pace for the rest of the group. So until those with more archaic views catch up, it's pretty assured that those who wish to see female ordination will have to wait.

As an aside, the fact that the son of God was nice to women is pretty much a nothing issue in this as far as I'm concerned. He loves everyone, period. It's the way he is, so to treat women less would reflect drastic favoritism and unleash yet another hypocrisy into Catholicism.
Taken from the Catholic perspective, female ordination just doesn't make sense, and undermines the nature of the vocation.

Like Deck Knight said, the priest is supposed to serve and guide his local community in matters of faith and morality. Through his duties the priest also actively emulates the life of Jesus; in consecrating the bread and wine during Mass he acts out one of Jesus' most significant moments, and pays tribute to his memory. During Mass the priest also delivers a homily (sermon) explaining the day's Bible readings in layman's terms to the laity; this reflects Jesus' practice of telling parables to the crowds that flocked to him throughout his ministry. The privilege of administering sacraments derives itself from Jesus' public acts as well.

Barring females from performing this role is just as sexist as rejecting females from auditioning for the roles of male characters in the movies. How archaic and backward!

It does not matter what priesthood is "supposed" to be. It only matters what it is. No matter how you cut it, priests, and a fortiori higher positions in the hierarchy, are in a position of power. Therefore, the problems that normally plague positions of power will occur in clergy just as much as they will occur elsewhere, and indeed there are numerous examples of the Church turning into a murderous engine in order to keep its "share" of followers and the riches that they produce. Of course, religion does not do this, but human nature does, and for this reason the very existence of the Church is morally irresponsible. It cannot do what it is "supposed" to do.
You cannot separate religion from human nature, as it is a product of people's desires for spirituality and conformity. Saying that the Church is not perfect does not make its existence "morally irresponsible". It is a tool, and how a tool is used is another matter.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with keeping tradition, unless it's a steaming pile of horse shit. Only a fool would consider as axiomatic that Catholic traditions are optimal and should not be changed.
The primary weakness of Christianity is its unwillingness to adapt to new data, new ideas or new social norms.
To say that the Church does not attempt to change itself for the better does not take into account the history of the Church. It started out as an underground cult, then it became the backbone of western civilization, and eventually morphed into the international organization it is today. Over that time period many different changes have taken place to conform itself with society, while still retaining its foundation and core beliefs. The Church is slow to change, that is true, but that's because it's hard for something as large to shift its momentum!

Catholic traditions may not be perfect, but if they were as bad as you say it's hard to believe there is such a large contingent of people who still adhere to them! You may say these people were brainwashed or indoctrinated into accepting this religion, but people have the natural inclination to turn away from things that are truly bad for them. I think that the fact the Church's membership is still thriving is proof that the opposite is the case.

I don't believe in evolution, I know (a little) about it, which is very different.
I don't want to go too off-topic here, but I wanted to make the point that science itself is inherently a belief system. Its aim is to pin down the exact nature of reality through observation and logical constructs, but at its core there are things called axioms, ideas that cannot be proved; you just have to believe they are true. The most fundamental axiom that one has to believe to progress anywhere with science is that reality is real! From that leap of faith people make bigger jumps to more complicated concepts. Ultimately, it's ironic to say that you're on any solid ground in this matter!

I'm not saying this to discredit science in any way - it is a most invaluable resource - it's just the nature of things we have to accept!

Men can't give birth. Unless they undergo sex change. With assited procreation.

Well... it seems men CAN give birth after all. Probably because God love us, so he made us smart enough to get past some basic biological limitations. If we can have men to give birth, why can't we have women to be ordained?
Is it really a man after all that surgery? Sure, it used to be, but is that term really still applicable? This is another discussion altogether so I won't delve into it any further.

I don't see why we should need a justification to ordain women in the first place. Ordaining women should be considered what the church does by default. They need a reason NOT to ordain them, not the opposite. Discrimination is not status quo, therefore, it requires justification.
Discrimination is not inherently a negative thing, and here they have their reasons rooted in tradition and example. This discrimination is not excluding women from any right they are entitled to, so there is no injustice involved.

The most fundamental axiom that one has to believe to progress anywhere with science is that reality is real!
You don't need to hold that axiom at all. You can regard science as merely describing what you observer and predicting what you will observe, without making any claims as to whether what you observe is 'real'.

There are things that most scientists believe that are perhaps articles of faith. That mathematics can fully describe the Universe is an obvious one. But there is I think just one article of faith that science depends on - that future behaviour will be like past behaviour. (And frankly, that's a belief backed up by every observation we've made).

Like Deck Knight said, the priest is supposed to serve and guide his local community in matters of faith and morality. Through his duties the priest also actively emulates the life of Jesus; in consecrating the bread and wine during Mass he acts out one of Jesus' most significant moments, and pays tribute to his memory. During Mass the priest also delivers a homily (sermon) explaining the day's Bible readings in layman's terms to the laity; this reflects Jesus' practice of telling parables to the crowds that flocked to him throughout his ministry. The privilege of administering sacraments derives itself from Jesus' public acts as well.
There is absolutely nothing that you've listed here that a woman couldn't do as well as a man. Is the only reason you can give for preventing women from being ordained is that jesus was a man?

Is it really a man after all that surgery?
Yes, "it" is.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll repeat this again because it's not over the actual functionality of a woman's would-be performance. Holy Orders is the equivalent to marriage, meaning it does have gender-specific requirements. "The Church" much like a ship is considered female, and the priesthood is exclusively a vow to The Church like marriage is a vow to a spouse.

No one in the Church makes the argument that women would be bad or inferior priests. The opposition is on purely theological grounds. Jesus could have selected anyone to be apostles. He routinely beggared the Jews and Pagans of the time by purposefully choosing parables alien to their cultural understanding. If Jesus wanted to select female priests he very well could have done so, yet he did not. Apostolic succession was determined through Christ's selections, and he left the keys to the Church in the hands of Peter. What would the Jews have done if Jesus had selected women among his Apostles? Crucify him?

I propose a simple challenge to Brain: should climate science be involved with government with any means, be it funding, scientific-government joint research institutions, or otherwise? I submit that by his own standard any governmental research or funding of Global Warming is morally irresponsible and cannot do what it is "supposed" to, which is deliver objective scientific research on the climate. Too much money and power could be amassed through skewing the research to ends that benefit a select few. There is too much power involved and scientists are no less human than clergy. To suggest otherwise is to reveal prejudices that have nothing to do with moral responsibility, rather it just reveals a very clever posturing.

What large organization could possibly pass Brain's test? Such an axiom mandates that all large organizations are morally irresponsible and cannot do their stated function (unless that function is to amass power for its own sake).

All I know is that the Pope is by and large a truthful and moral person with the same human failings as everyone else, and whatever slime in the depths of the Vatican hidden away from public view, orchestrating whatever dastardly schemes Brain has imagined (Cardinal Law, no doubt), will not escape the judgment of God. Meanwhile I've never had reason to suspect my local priest and bishop despite their own human failings. I imagine X-Act has similar experiences despite being half a world away, but he can speak for himself.

As for Altmer, I think his "eloquence" speaks for itself.

Organized religions are just like any other club. The law (in the UK, at least, and I believe in many US states) says organizations can't discriminate based on gender/age/sexuality/etc. Therefore, the church should be forced to obey. Either apply to law to all or none.

Don't infer approval of those rules from that. I feel anyone - employer, club, whatever - should be able to turn away anyone else based on anything they want. I'm only pointing out that in most places, the anti-female policy is breaking the law and should be stopped.

EDIT: about the question of whether or not an MTF is a man after SRS: yes. We have Y chromosomes and there's nothing we can do about them. While most TS/TGs will stamp their feet and spam you with a barrage of Newspeak, the reality is that approximating the appearance of one's target gender doesn't change one's actual gender.

I really don't see how Catholics can justify that the fact that jesus chose all male disciples necessarily implies that he wanted all priests in the future to be male. At the time that jesus lived the culture was very misogynistic, perhaps jesus wanted women to be able to serve in all the same roles as men but chose male disciples because he thought that at the time he was living in female disciples would not be accepted.
EDIT: about the question of whether or not an MTF is a man after SRS: yes. We have Y chromosomes and there's nothing we can do about them. While most TS/TGs will stamp their feet and spam you with a barrage of Newspeak, the reality is that approximating the appearance of one's target gender doesn't change one's actual gender.
This is not really true. psychologists recognize several different levels of sexual identity, genetic (presence or lack of a Y chromosome) gonadal(presence of ovaries or testes) genital(sex determined by genitals) and hormonal(abundance of androgens and estrogens). Genetic sex is not a trump card that alone determines your sex. A person with a Y chromosome who has undergone a sex change and hormone therapy is physically much more like a women than a man.
Gender actually refers to your own subjective sense of being male or female, so it is actually not determined by your sex though it usually corresponds with it.

<barrage of Newspeak>
What'd I tell you?

Bottom line is that perhaps it is fair for one to decide how to judge gender for one's self. That's not to say others should be expected to agree. For me, biological gender is all that's relevant. If you want to change your socially perceived gender, invent a new word for each. Man and woman are taken, and you can't change from one to the other no matter how much you kick and scream.

Also, about the Jesus-caring-about-public-opinion; that wasn't really his thing, was it? Perhaps he just didn't run across any worthy women before settling on his target number of apostles. Or it could be that the author of the book decided his character couldn't break some taboos without it harming uptake.

Barring females from performing this role is just as sexist as rejecting females from auditioning for the roles of male characters in the movies. How archaic and backward!
You can have a guy playing a women. And women playing guys.
Case in point : La Petite vie

You cannot compare social system to biological function, it does not work. Men can't give birth. Unless they undergo sex change. With assited procreation.
Social systems exist because of inherent biology- for example, women were items because they were physically weaker and men loved to sex them.

decksies said:
I'll repeat this again because it's not over the actual functionality of a woman's would-be performance. Holy Orders is the equivalent to marriage, meaning it does have gender-specific requirements. "The Church" much like a ship is considered female, and the priesthood is exclusively a vow to The Church like marriage is a vow to a spouse.
I would like to see some references on this because honestly that just sounds blatantly made up. In what world is working for the church the same as a marriage? He isn't fucking the church, in this case he'd be much more likely to fuck a small child (it is the catholic church we are talking about). I just don't see how it can even remotely be compared. Not all vows are the same deck.

No one in the Church makes the argument that women would be bad or inferior priests
Too bad, that's the only real leg you may have to stand on, assuming it was correct.

Jesus could have selected anyone to be apostles. He routinely beggared the Jews and Pagans of the time by purposefully choosing parables alien to their cultural understanding. If Jesus wanted to select female priests he very well could have done so, yet he did not. Apostolic succession was determined through Christ's selections, and he left the keys to the Church in the hands of Peter. What would the Jews have done if Jesus had selected women among his Apostles? Crucify him?
I believe I covered this in my other posts. Does deck have me on ignore? That's a very christian thing to do, actually :P. There are very good sociological reasons for why Jesus did not choose females at that time to be his apostles.

I propose a simple challenge to Brain: should climate science be involved with government with any means, be it funding, scientific-government joint research institutions, or otherwise? I submit that by his own standard any governmental research or funding of Global Warming is morally irresponsible and cannot do what it is "supposed" to, which is deliver objective scientific research on the climate. Too much money and power could be amassed through skewing the research to ends that benefit a select few. There is too much power involved and scientists are no less human than clergy. To suggest otherwise is to reveal prejudices that have nothing to do with moral responsibility, rather it just reveals a very clever posturing.
This is called a straw man argument and is therefore fallacious.

All I know is that the Pope is by and large a truthful and moral person with the same human failings as everyone else, and whatever slime in the depths of the Vatican hidden away from public view, orchestrating whatever dastardly schemes Brain has imagined (Cardinal Law, no doubt), will not escape the judgment of God. Meanwhile I've never had reason to suspect my local priest and bishop despite their own human failings. I imagine X-Act has similar experiences despite being half a world away, but he can speak for himself.
Since when is it acceptable in reasonable debate, aside from American politics, to slam the opposition like this and vilify them in inappropriate ways? Many times, by the way, the communities were shocked by the priest diddling his underage pals. You might find yourself shocked, don't be so black and white.

What's all this jazz about the judgement of God? I'd like to think that he'd be a better being than saying "Love me in the prescribed way or burn in hell forever. Oh an by the way: you have to love me because you WANT to not because I'll flame broil you if you don't".

Taken from the Catholic perspective, female ordination just doesn't make sense, and undermines the nature of the vocation.

Sudo said:
Provide scenarios where women couldn't guide a community in matters of faith an morality, how a woman can't emulate Jesus's life (as if a male priest does it all that way anyways nowadays). In fact, please provide explicit scenarios where a woman would fail in any of these tasks. I'm especially keen to learn how a modern priest emulates Jesus so precisely that a woman couldn't do it.

Actually, that's a pretty ignorant viewpoint to have. It's also a non sequitur. Characters cast in movies have nothing to do with being a priest. There are great sociological reasons to cast a woman as a woman or even a negro as a negro. It's all cosmetic and meant to appear how it is in real life (well, sans explosions and hot alien babes etc). Also, it makes sense for a woman to play the mother because a man literally can not bear a child under normal circumstance. To have a man play the mother and then perhaps talk about how awful labor was makes the story less believable; meanwhile, having a woman be a priest doesn't take away from it at all as far as I can see (hence why I ask for explicit examples, like the one I just provided). Your example is kind of like saying a woman can't be a crane operator because a man can lift more, when in fact the amount the person can lift is irrelevant.

What about physiologically female XYs? People who were BORN with male genes and a female body? People for whom the male aspect can remain unknown to anyone if no genetic test is ever carried out?

Even allowing only for how people are born, gender is more complex than a male or female dichotomy. In my thinking "male" refers to a set of biological features on various scales, "female" refers to a different set, and it is entirely possible, albeit uncommon, to be neither. But society does not yet accept "neither".

missed one

sudo said:
To say that the Church does not attempt to change itself for the better does not take into account the history of the Church. It started out as an underground cult, then it became the backbone of western civilization, and eventually morphed into the international organization it is today. Over that time period many different changes have taken place to conform itself with society, while still retaining its foundation and core beliefs. The Church is slow to change, that is true, but that's because it's hard for something as large to shift its momentum!
Actually something as large as the church can shift momentum easy- it's leaders say believe and the followers say how hard. I think the church isn't the backbone of western culture at all; look at the research it's impeding, the ideas it outright rejects based on nothing at all. Not to mention the USA was supposed to have a separation of church and state but that blew up in their faces. Meanwhile atheism is on the rise in Canada and European nations. Mind you, catholics aren't as bad as some crazies, but they are still a brand of Christianity. How has the church specifically updated itself to stay relevant?

What about physiologically female XYs? People who were BORN with male genes and a female body? People for whom the male aspect can remain unknown to anyone if no genetic test is ever carried out?

Even allowing only for how people are born, gender is more complex than a male or female dichotomy. In my thinking "male" refers to a set of biological features on various scales, "female" refers to a different set, and it is entirely possible, albeit uncommon, to be neither. But society does not yet accept "neither".
Agreed, as many TS/TGs like to say, gender, like sexuality, is a spectrum. Beyond cis/trans males or females, there're ambiguities that currently haven't been given a name.

However, these people are irregulars - if you're a physically normal male who happens to dislike that condition, I'm not going to play along with your doublethink just to make you feel better. I'll hopefully be starting self-medicating hormones by Saturday, and I don't exclude myself from this, so it's not some petty attempt to annoy less Vulcan TS/TGs. I just don't approve of the mental gymnastics people perform to justify irrational demands.

There is absolutely nothing that you've listed here that a woman couldn't do as well as a man. Is the only reason you can give for preventing women from being ordained is that jesus was a man?
How about "it's biblically sanctioned"?

1 Timothy 2: 12-14

And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.
Nice.

So J-Man, would you throw out all women from teaching? And from any job role that has any authority whatsoever? If you rented property from a female would you refuse to pay your rent and cite the Bible as your justification?

I dunno, his post is pretty open and shut Cantab. Since when has hypocrisy not been a mandate of the church?

So J-Man, would you throw out all women from teaching? And from any job role that has any authority whatsoever? If you rented property from a female would you refuse to pay your rent and cite the Bible as your justification?
You just blew the entire context of the verse out of proportion in order to create this giant strawman argument. If you read the chapter in question, you will actually find out that Paul is talking about the roles and positions in the church. Not so much about jobs and such... Not that it would have caused such an uproar back in those days... People really like to apply 21st century logic to first century writing...

Any more questions?

His argument wasn't a strawman at all. It directly talks about women not teaching and he directly gives that as an example.

Speaking of application, do you think it's appropriate to apply 1st century writing in a dogmatic way in the 21st century?

Then maybe you could have cited the chapter in question, instead of just three sentences. You produced the out-of-context quote, not I.

Also, reading the whole of Timothy 2, it is not to me at all clear that verses 11-12 apply solely to the role of women in the Church. Verses 9-10 seem to refer to women in all situations.

His argument wasn't a strawman at all. It directly talks about women not teaching and he directly gives that as an example.
His argument is not viable because he is not speaking about what the verse is actually talking about. He has distorted my position into a weaker one, therefore it is a strawman argument.

Speaking of application, do you think it's appropriate to apply 1st century writing in a dogmatic way in the 21st century?
In regards to the church belonging to Christ that was set up under his authority through his apostles, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)