The Last Dance

Introduction:
Hello there, I'm sure many people that read the OU section of Unchated Territory might have seen some of my posts at various places, most notably for trying to popularize uncommon threats that might be questionable. To be honest, many of the Pokemons that I tried to praise/defend there, I don't usually use them myself besides testings for viability, but I just wanted to unveil certain hidden gems that are undiscovered. I'm Lothaire on PS, but hasn't really laddered ever since I dedicated myself to searching for underrated sets, but this RMT is definitely still one of my most commonly used sets if you happen to meet me on the ladder (assuming I start laddering someday). Without further ado, I shall move on to the team proper.

Overview:

A first glance at my team reveals that I am using Rotom-H instead of Rotom-W, and Scizor instead of Genesect, but more on that later. I can choose to hide it until later, but from my previous sentence, and the title, you can tell that my Mega is obviously Gyarados. Now choosing the aforesaid 2 Pokemons becomes much more understandable but I will go through that in detail later. My reason to built a team around Gyarados because I am a fan of Water types. Notably 2 of my longest conversations are on Crawdaunt, and Salamence's perks on Hydro Pump. In respect to that, I have a thing for physical attackers that can get past Landorus-T, which is why Gyarados is the star of the team today.

A Detailed Look

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split
If it still isn't obvious why I picked Rotom-H instead of Rotom-W, it is because Rotom-W share a lot of common resistance with Gyarados. During my testing period with Rotom-W in this slot instead, I often found myself switching to Gyarados to take resisted hits instead, because that often would equate a free DD. However, I did realise that I cannot make do without a Talonflame resist because that thing is like everywhere, so I opted for Rotom-H in its place. Rotom-H's anti-meta-ness is astronomical, manhandling the likes of Talonflame, Genesect, Aegislash, Ferrothorn, Thundurus-I, and Charizard among other threars like Volcarona etc. The 248/32/228+ bulk I invested is primarily to allow it to counter both variants of Charizard if rocks aren't up on myside, since X fails to OHKO with +1 Dragon Claw (if it does 2 Dragon Claws on the switch instead of DD, it becomes set-up fodder for Gyarados, or gets outsped and KOed by Landorus), and Y fails to 2HKO with any attack, while Rotom can easily hit both with Thunder Wave, and then Pain Split a good portion of its HP back. Speaking of Thunder Wave, it is because unlike Rotom-W, Fire types actually dare switching in on its Will-o-wisp, so Thunder Wave is generally more reliable. In addition, the Speed drop is really handy for my team in general.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

While mostly seems to be outclassed by Genesect, who has a more spammable U-turn, Scizor still fits on my team better that the mechanized Kabutops because my team appreciates a slow U-turn. Aside from that, Knock Off is so fantastique this gen that I kind of feel bad to not having a user on my team. In short, Scizor is just the ultimate pivot for the team, because of its fabulous 8 resists and good utility moves, to keep the momentum in my favor. At late game, Scizor can double as a cleaner with its extremely powerful Bullet Punch, to pick off weakened Pokemon, notably since many of those that actually survive Gyarados' wrath actually are pretty weak to Scizor in general.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

I always like to have another Steel type if I have a Scizor in the case I U-turn out too early when I still need those resists. I used to have a Eject Button, Recycle Dual Screens Klefki here, but I realized that Dual Screens is not a concern in setting up with Gyarados, which makes Aegislash the better Steel type for that slot. Aegislash is brilliant for its Shadow Ball to punch holes, especially when my team has a slow mini VoltTurn core to bring Aegislash very easily. Between Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak and King's Shield, its is almost unkillable if timed properly, and extremely annoying for the opponent to face. Aegislash almost has perfect defensive synergy with Gyarados, resisting each other's weaknesses almost completely, which favors from the slow U-turn that Scizor provides. Running Iron Head over Sacred Sword because the primary target of Sacred Sword is Tyranitar, which my team has zero trouble against. Shadow Ball does more damage than it on MLucario. By extension, not running 12 Spd because I rather outslow Tyranitar since either way with or without Sacred Sword, Aegislash is not beating it anyday without a boosting item.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- U-turn

Landorus functions as my secondary hole puncher, with its extremely powerful Sheer Force boosted Earth Power which finally leads to a Gyarados sweep. Before we actually take a look at Gyarados itself, it is fairly obvious that a standard sweeping Gyarados has some problem getting past the likes of Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Celebi, etc. It just so happens that Landorus eliminate all 3 of those with impunity, between Sheer Force boosted Psychic, Focus Blast and U-turn. Other than wrecking defensive Pokemon on the opponent's team, this thing tears apart slower offensive Pokemon like none other, especially with its trollish 101 Base Speed. Many a times, many Pokemons that get crippled by Thunder Wave from Rotom-H usually gets killed by this beast of a special attacker that it sometimes can be a win condition on its own.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Latias's role on the team should be the most straight forward one, as an offensive Defogger. Latias also happens to be the fastest member on my team, and hits extremely hard with LO Draco Meteor. This allows Latias to destroy slower stuff like Garchomp, Coil Zygarde etc, as well as dealing massive damage to stuff like Rotom-W, and other common switch-ins. The interesting thing on my set is undoubtedly Healing Wish. As I have advocated in my Healing Wish thread, that move is absolutely amazing, especially on something that has so much offensive presence as Latias. Generally, most of the time when using Latias, I can ensure that Latias can get at least 2 hits + Defog in, before I actually have to use Healing Wish, which easily gives me an almost unfair advantage. Gyarados is super bulky that it tends to get statused more often than dying right away, and this, combined with Latias's good speed, almost guarantees its return.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Gyarados is the Pokemon in which this team is built on, with the other members primarily to support it; Latias to Defog aways rocks; Aegislash for good defensive synergy; Landorus to defeat its counters; Rotom to cripple likely revenge killers; and Scizor for that slow U-turn. When played properly and evolved at the right time, Gyarados effectively has a whooping 8 resistance and 1 weakness to Electric. Accounting in his great bulk, it is not rare for Gyarados to get even +2 DD, even though +1 is deadly enough most of the time, considering it is almost impossible to OHKO it while it DDs. Gyarados is also a full stop to both variants of Mega Lucario, by tanking any hit at +2 while OHKO-ing back with Earthquake. Even though it is likely to take massive damage from that, Healing Wish from Latias remedies it by bringing Gyarados back in to go on its rampage again. Between a myriad of coverage options to choose from, I find Ice Fang the most threatening, in its ability to OHKO Dragonite through (literally thanks to Mold Breaker) Multiscale. Additionally, thanks to Healing Wish support, I often can bring Gyarados in twice, once midgame to wallbreak, and another time in the end to clean up, creating of something like the feared DuoBird core by itself.

This sums up my RMT, feel free to make comments and suggestions on it. I will work on some of the awkward phrasing in my descriptions after I proof-read.​

Last edited:
~Standard OU Threat List~
Abomasnow: Abomasnow only really threatens Gyarados after it has Mega Evolved and pretty much everything on my team has a way or two to get past it.

Absol: Absol is completely wrecked by Scizor and Aegislash, being unable to get past them and getting OHKO-ed easily in return.

Aegislash: Rotom-H has Thunder Wave to bypass King's Shield as well as fishing for parahax, and has Overheat for the OHKO in the event of parahax; Gyarados sets up on it while resisting Shadow Ball, then OHKO-ing with EQ.

Alakazam: Scizor and Aegislash has the ability to finish off that last point of HP on the sash set; Rotom can survives any attack with impunity, and gets the KO with Pain Split + Overheat, or Painsplit + Volt Switch. Mega set is much easier to KO thanks to the lack of Sash.

Ampharos: Landorus has SE Earth Power; Gyarados has SE Earthquake and can Mega Evolve to survive the Electric move. Draco Meteor from Latias hits hard and fast.

Amoonguss: Need something to take the sleep. After that, it loses to Rotom-H, Latias. AV variants gets Knocked Off from Scizor.

Azelf: Rotom-H and Latias laugh at anything thrown at them, and being able to KO in return while remaining at a high health %.

Azumarill: If it switches in Gyarados it gets 2HKOed; it cannot get past Aegislash and gets 2HKOed in return; Scizor deals massive damage with Bullet Punch. Easier to deal with if Choiced, because Rotom takes Play Rough with impunity, and can Pain Split + Volt Switch for an easy kill, and Gyarados sets up on it if it is locked into Waterfall.

Bisharp: Set up bait for Gyarados. Latias can HP Fire on the obvious switch, and then switch to Gyarados to set up.

Blissey: Cannot do anything significant to Scizor and Aegislash, who gives a momentum advantage.

Breloom: Everything in my team minus Aegislash and Rotom-H can KO it before it gets a chance to Spore. Sets without Spore is destroyed by Aegislash who just so happens to resist everything.

Bronzong: Gyarados bypasses Levitate with Mold Breaker; Scizor's Knock Off is super effective now; Aegislash's Shadow Ball is super effective now; Rotom-H has Overheat.

Celebi: Landorus and Scizor destroy it with U-turn, Gyarados OHKOs with Ice Fang at +2

Chansey: See Blissey.

Charizard: Rotom-H is generally a safe switch-in to either Charizard variant. If Charizard X DDs on the switch, Rotom-H survives and Thunder Waves back, and then healing up with Pain Split; If it is Charizard Y, Rotom-H survives any combination of attacks and can Thunder Wave > Pain Split > Volt Switch out. After set is identified, unboosted or paralyzed Charizard X gets killed by Landorus or Latias or becomes set up bait for Gyarados; Charizard Y gets outsped and killed by Landorus or Latias.

Chesnaught: Rotom-H roasts it. Aegislash walls it all day.

Cloyster: Fails to deal significant damage to Aegislash, who can KO back with a combination of Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak.

Conkeldurr: Gyarados can set up on it without Mega Evolving; Scizor's Knock Off is extremely crippling for it; Rotom-H wears it down with Pain Split in the long run.

Cresselia: Scizor can U-turn to Aegislash, who murder it with Shadow Ball.

Crobat: Nothing to Defog on my side so utility set is kind of a dead weight for the opponent. Stallbreaker loses to Rotom-H; becomes set up bait for Gyarados.

Deoxys-D: See Cresselia. Also Latias has Defog.

Deoxys-S: Offensive sets lose to the former 3 members; while Latias has Defog for support sets.

Diggersby: Gyarados more or less sets up on every set there is; Landorus OHKOs with Focus Blast (or maybe even Earth Power, not sure); Latias has Draco Meteor.

Ditto: Really only Aegislash and Latias is actually affected by Ditto because every other member resists itself. Gyarados can set up on Ditto-Aegislash; Aegislash and Scizor can come in on Ditto-Latias.

Dragalage: Wrecked by Landorus and Gyarados.

Dragonite: Mega Gyarados's Ice Fang OHKOs through (literally) Multiscale. If Multiscale is broken, Latias OHKOs with Draco Meteor. If carrying standard Dragon Claw and Fire Punch, Aegislash walls it; If carrying Dragon Claw and Earthquake, Scizor can severely cripple it.

Empoleon: There are a million and one way where my team can hit it super effectively, which usually translates to a 2HKO.

Espeon: Scizor and Aegislash murder it. Latias gets rid of Dual Screens easily.

Excadrill: Spinner sets is set up bait to Gyarados. Balloonless variants die to Landorus.

Ferrothorn: Scizor's Superpower kills it; Landorus's Focus Blast kills it. Rotom-H destroys it completely with Overheat.

Forretress: Rotom-H roasts it. Latias kills it with HP Fire and has Defog.

Galvantula: Rotom can Overheat > Volt Switch to Latias for the Defog. My team is almost completely immune to the effects of Sticky Web anyway.

Garchomp: Latias is faster than unScarfed variants and OHKO with Draco Meteor; Scarfed variants have issue with Gyarados.

Gardevoir: Scizor and Aegislash cleanly OHKO with priority.

Gastrodon: Gyarados bypasses Storm Drain with Mold Breaker so it is a matter of time before it breaks through; Latias takes all hits with impunity and has a powerful Draco Meteor.

Genesect: Rotom-H effectively counters all set minus a +1 Extremespeed which still only manages a 2HKO, which is more than enough for a counter attack.

Gengar: Scizor and Aegislash kills it with the respective priority if Sub is not up. If Sub is up, Rotom-H can take anything and break the Sub in return, and then Volt Switch out.

Gliscor: Aegislash hits hard with Shadow Ball; Latias KOs with Draco Meteor if Sub is not up; Gyarados KOs with Waterfall if Sub is not up. Gyarados can also afford to get Toxic-ed against Gliscor thanks to Healing Wish support.

Gorebyss: Hard to deal with, but the pass recipient is often easy to identify and nail on the switch, especially when I have 3 users of VoltTurn on my team. Other than that, it is rarely seen as well.

Goodra: Problematic before set is figured out. Rotom-H can take pretty much anything and wear it down with Pain Split. Scizor can Knock Off its AV easily. As hard as it is to check on paper, I didn't really have much of a problem with it in practice.

Gothitelle: Anything on my set either has VoltTurn, or can KO it if it tries to trap anything.

Gourgeist-S: Gyarados wins if it has set up. Aegislash dgaf about anything it has and has a SE Shadow Ball. Rotom-H dgaf about any common moves and OHKOs with Overheat.

Greninja: Bullet Punch does it in if it is not water type. Gyrados does not care about anything thrown at it and outspeeds after +1 DD.

Gyarados: Ironically having some big problems with my own main sweeper. Mega variants are harder to take on but take massive damage from Scizor's U-turn. Non-Mega variants tend not to carry EQ, so can be easily walled by Aegislash, and worn down with Shadow Ball.

Hawlucha: Aegislash resist all viable coverage options it has.

Heatran: Set up bait for Gyarados; walled by Rotom-H (and vice versa); KOed by Superpower from Scizor if Thunder Waved by Rotom-H.

Heracross: Landorus has Psychic to OHKO non-Max HP variants; Aegislash resist common coverage options and hit back hard with Shadow Ball.

Hippowdon: Gyrados can wear it down repeatedly with Waterfall. Aegislash 2HKOs but has to watch for EQ since Hippowdon outslows it. Latias has a powerful Draco Meteor and Landorus has a powerful Earth Power while Hippowdon cannot do anything significant in return.

Houndoom: Rotom-H is a good switch in. Gyarados walls it completely.

Hydreigon: Rotom-H is again a good switch in. Non-choiced variants are dealt with by Latias and Landorus; Gyarados gets a free DD after Draco Meteor.

Jellicent: Scizor has Knock Off for it; and Aegislash can Shadow Ball it.

Jirachi: Rotom-H has Overhear; Aegislash has Shadow Ball; Scizor has Knock Off; Gyarados has Earthquake.

Keldeo: Latias resist all common coverage options; Gyarados can set up on it it not yet Mega Evolved.

Kingdra: CritDra is murdered by Latias. More troublesome if Rain variants but Aegislash can potentially stall the Rain out.

Klefki: SwagKeys is a royal pain in the ass to face. The others are easily taken care off as long as I avoid ParaHax

Kyurem: Scizor 2HKOs with Bullet Punch; Aegislash 2HKOs with Iron Head; Latias OHKOs with Draco Meteor; Rotom-H resist all common coverage options.

Kyurem-B: See Kyurem-N, minus Rotom-H.

Landorus: Latias is faster and OHKO with Draco Meteor; Gyarados can set up on it before Mega Evolving; Rotom-H is not 2HKOed by any common move bar Focus Miss.

Landorus-T: Defensive sets are muscled past with Gyarados; Offensive sets without Stone Edge are walled hard by Rotom-H; Latias Draco Meteors unScarfed ones.

Latias: There is Scizor, Aegislash, Rotom-H and my own Latias to KO it.

Latios: See Latias

Lucario: Aegislash is not 2HKOed by any attack and KOs in return with Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak, while screwing up Physical sets completely with Kings Shield. Gyarados before Mega Evolution has Intimidate and is not 2HKOed by any attack, while OHKO-ing back with Earthquake.

Mamoswine: Scizor kills it; Rotom-H kills any without Stone Edge; Gyarados sets up on it.

Manaphy: Latias can Draco Meteor it; Landorus can hit it with a powerful Earth Power.

Mawile: Rotom-H resists Play Rough and can bypass Sucker Punch with Thunder Wave, and follow up with Overheat. Scizor resist Play Rough, out-prioritizes Sucker Punch.

Medicham: Scizor and Aegislash has powerful priority for it. Latias and Landorus are faster and can OHKO easily.

Mew: Usually set up bait for Gyarados. Rotom-H does not give a shit about anything Mew has and can paralyze with Thunder Wave, for Scizor to destroy it with U-turn/Knock Off. Aegislash has to beware of Fire Blast but otherwise can OHKO easily with Shadow Ball.

Noivern: I do have 2 Steel types. After a Draco Meteor, becomes set up bait for Gyarados.

Pinsir: Latias is faster and does not get OHKOed by +2 Quick Attack; Rotom-H can take 2 unboosted hits and OHKO with Overheat.

Politoed: Latias and Gyarados are good resists in general.

Porygon2: Knock Off is extremely crippling for Porygon2

Quagsire: Any significant Special Attack makes quick work of it.

Reuniclus: Scizor has 2 good ways to KO it easily.

Rotom-W: Gyarados bypasses Levitate with Mold Breaker EQ. Latias hits very hard with Draco Meteor while taking a resisted hit with that base 130 SDef; Landorus hits weakened Rotom-W hard with Focus Blast.

Salamence: Generally same as Dragonite.

Sableye: Rotom-H is practically immune to everything Sableye has at it. Landorus, Latias and Aegislash hates residual burn damage but otherwise doesn't mind it and can KO easily with their Special attacks

Scolipede: Rotom-H can usually Thunder Wave it and then KO with Overhear; Scizor and Aegislash has priority to attempt to KO it before it passes.

Scizor: Rotom-H resists common coverage moves and OHKOs with Overheat; Latias OHKOs with HP Fire; Gyarados sets up on it.

Smeargle: Spore is a bit troublesome but after something becomes sleep fodder, nothing on my team actually minds Sticky Web that much; and Latias can just Defog.

Skarmory: There are a plethora of Special Attackers in my team and I have Defog to get rid of hazards.

Slowbro: U-turn to Aegislash or Knock Off generally works great against Slowbro or the switch in.

Sylevon: Scizor makes quick work of it with Bullet Punch. Aegislash dgaf about anything thrown at it and has Shadow Ball to hit hard with.
Starmie: Aegislash is a solid counter to it;

Talonflame: Gyarados can get a Intimidate in and kill back with Waterfall; Aegislash has those King's Shield mindgames; Rotom-H is a solid resist that is not 2HKOed by anything.

Tangrowth: See Skarmory/Slowbro

Tentacruel: Landorus has Earth Power; Gyarados has Earthquake.

Terrakion: Latias is faster; Scizor has Bullet Punch; Aegislash resists everything.

Thundurus: Rotom-H resists everything, while hitting hard with Overheat.

Togekiss: Scizor has Bullet Punch; Rotom-H resist all common moves; Aegislash resists most common moves.

Tornadus-T: Rotom-H and Aegislash are solid resists; if Rain is up, Scizor can usually take a hit;

Trevenant: Gyarados's Ice Fang OHKOs at +2, Rotom-H has Overheat; Aegislash doesn't mind a burn outside of residual damage and can KO with Shadow Ball.

Tyranitar: Scizor has Bullet Punch; Landorus has Focus Blast and Earth Power; Gyarados has Waterfall for super effective moves.

Vaporeon: Knock Off is crippling to defensive Pokemons in general. Then it can be repeatedly worn down, forcing it to Wish + Protect every other turn.

Venusaur: Gyarados has Mold Breaker Ice Fang; Landorus has Psychic.

Victini: Landorus barely outspeeds it and OHKOs with Earth Power. Gyarados sets up on choiced sets. Rotom-H again resists all common coverage moves.

Virizion: Aegislash resists all common coverage moves; Scizor kills weakened ones with Bullet Punch; Rotom-H can comfortably take a hit at +2 and Thunder Wave > Pain Split or straight up KO with Overheat if there is a CC drop.

Volcarona: Again a set up bait for Gyarados; Rotom-H resists all common coverage moves.

Weavile: Only Latias can be Pursuit trapped, and that is usually after it has done its job anyway.

Wobbuffet: 4 of my team are practically immune to Shadow Tag. Of the other 2, Latias can Healing Wish, Gyarados can set up with some prediction to not get Encored.

Xatu: Aegislash has a super effective Shadow Ball; Scizor has Knock Off even though it does not appreciate Rocky Helmet; Gyarados sets up on it.

Zapdos: Troublesome indeed, but Gyarados can deal upwards to 76% with Ice Fang to SDef variants.

Zygarde: Coil variants are outsped and KOed by Latias. DD variants lose to Intimidate Gyarados who can Mega Evolve to avoid the SE Stone Edge.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)