The Hip Hop Thread

For all the hip hop heads out there.

Discuss stuff like upcoming albums, personal faves, and stuff like that.

I'm currently waiting on The Root's new album "How I got Over" then at the end of the year I'm definetly getting Lasers by Lupe Fiasco.

............Anyone?

The only reason I watch Late Night with Jimmy Fallon is for The Roots. I saw them at the Rock the Bells hip hop festival near Chicago this summer, holy jesus they are beyond excellent. I also saw Matisyahu at Summerfest in Milwaukee, he played a bunch of songs from his new album, again really awesome. You know how some singers look real awkward when someone takes a solo? Yeah not him, he's just one cool dude.

If anyone's listened to Matisyahu's new album, your thoughts? It's a pretty big deviation from "Youth"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgw_K_YiCn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3K25Vm4FSo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw7AJ6dwTlA

This is 7L & Esoteric, they are from Boston and fairly underground, Esoteric just came out with His new CD he's been talking about making throughout all his albums, Saving Seamus Ryan. A story about stuff he was going through like 3 years ago. Several Rappers appear as people in his life and dreams he was having. Its the first Cd i can just listen to over and over even with the skits and shit the story is just so crazy. Id suggest trying to download it and give it a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgw_K_YiCn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3K25Vm4FSo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw7AJ6dwTlA

This is 7L & Esoteric, they are from Boston and fairly underground, Esoteric just came out with His new CD he's been talking about making throughout all his albums, Saving Seamus Ryan. A story about stuff he was going through like 3 years ago. Several Rappers appear as people in his life and dreams he was having. Its the first Cd i can just listen to over and over even with the skits and shit the story is just so crazy. Id suggest trying to download it and give it a listen.
Isn't Esoteric the one from Jedi Mind Tricks/Army Of The Phaorohs? I think I remember hearing him on Ritual Of Battle and I think he was on Violent by Design, and he was pretty good (Celph Titled outshined him on Ritual to Battle though), I might give it a listen later today, but right now I really wanna listen to this Jurassic 5 album.

Kojax, Black Thought is easily one of my top 10 rappers. He just flows so amazingly well.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
the artists who first got me into hiphop were abdominal & dj format, such a great combination of excellent rapping and funky beats. ab's collaborations with dj fase are pretty good as well but everything he does with format is pure gold. i also started listening to fort minor at the same time, fell in love with the rising tied. its a pretty mainstream album but was a great stepping stone from the music i was used to listening to into the world of hiphop.

since then ive discovered a newfound pleasure in artists like aesop rock, roots manuva, matisyahu (good call dude), j5 (jurassic not jackson!!!!), the anticon crew etc as well as britrappers like sway, wiley & dizzee rascal.

i think the majority of hiphop is a lot more intelligent than it is given credit for in the mainstream media, its not just about shooting and fucking and in fact its a way out of this kind of life that some of these guys would otherwise be resigned to leading.

i think the majority of hiphop is a lot more intelligent than it is given credit for in the mainstream media, its not just about shooting and fucking and in fact its a way out of this kind of life that some of these guys would otherwise be resigned to leading.
IMO, you're thinking of rap. Rap is the ringtone, garage-made beats where the lyricists have no flow and brag about how much money have have etc etc. Soulja Boy, The Jerk etc shit like that. But artists like Jedi Mind Tricks do talk about violence too. Though, If I see a Mac Dre/Snoopy/DrDre song reminiscing about a lost friend or relative or somethin that song is a rare gem to me...but music is music to me regardless of lyrics. Except for screamo >.< ughanywa, Doesn't Vinnie Paz (JMT) have a solo album coming out.. I heard a little on youtube and didnt like it too much.....he is one of my favorite rappers (ignoring the homophobia and Jew hatred ha) but his styles gotten kind of repetitive and in his new album....idk just kinda seems like he drones on.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's pretty hard to separate rap and hiphop, when rap is present in another genre it tends to be referred to as "rap-rock" etc

The way I see it Rap is what you do in Hip Hop while Hip Hop is the actual genre. Like how singing is what you do in Pop songs but the genre is really Pop.

And speaking of solo albums, I'm listening to my Outkast albums waiting for their solo albums to come out, but it probably won't be this year.

I can't wait for Lasers, Lupe is the bomb.

The new Roots will be good too, I've been listening to Tipping Point to get hyped for that.

The first single "Shining Down" was amazing. So amazing I made a team inspired by it. I hope Lupe reaches out for more guests though, I really want a collab with Nas.

Wale is what i've been pumping for a while now. I like his flow and attitude, and his beats are crazy. The new Lupe is something i've been looking forward to forever, and his Food and Liquor was oneof my favorite albums ever. I really liked Jay-Z on the American Gangster soundtrack. Some shit straight of of Pittsburgh is this man Jimmy B, grew up with him, he's real original and has crazy flow.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The thread for me :)

Seriously, Chamillionaire for me right now is one of the best hip hop artist and/or rapper. His Ultimate Victory album was very very good. His mixtapes were pretty good too.

My friend is currently trying to hook me up with underground beats. They're not the greatest, but some of them are pretty good.

I like a good mix of meaningful lyrics, along with good beats. Like, I lovesongs like Thugz Mansion from 2pac, but I also like songs like Mo Money Mo Problems, not for its lyrics, but just for the beat and smooth flow (except for Biggie's part. He's not that good imo)

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
you take it upon yourself if you truly like rap to listen to big l

really clever lyrics, and it just "flows" so goddamn well. the best part is he's a really nice guy and usually most of his songs are just in jest

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
you take it upon yourself if you truly like rap to listen to big l

really clever lyrics, and it just "flows" so goddamn well. the best part is he's a really nice guy and usually most of his songs are just in jest
This man speaks truth. Check out "The Big Picture" and see for yourself. Also I rate "Platinum Plus", his song with Big Daddy Kane up there as one of the greatest rap duets of all time! (Some others being Uncommon Valour with Vinnie Paz and Rugged Man, 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted with 2Pac and Snoop and Nuthin but a G Thang with Dre and Snoop).

Speaking of JMT, I highly suggest you check out Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell. Wonderful album, and the song Uncommon Valour is up there with Dance with the Devil as the most powerful rap song I've ever heard, and one of my five favourite of all time!

Eh, I thought the production on the Big Picture was terrible, Lifestylez however is like one of my favorite albums, he's amazing with punchlines.

I'm gave Servants in Heaven a listen a while back, absolutely love it and JMT period.

Snippet about Servants in Heaven, etc.
Sorry to break it to you bro but Dance with the Devil isn't on Servants in Heaven, or even by JMT (Immortal Technique). That aside, Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell is definitely my favorite hip-hop album at the moment, the only other one coming close is Illogic's Celestial Clockwork, and Dance with the Devil is a ridiculously powerful song.

Aside from the previously mentioned Immortal Tech, JMT, and Illogic, I've been listening to a lot of Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, Eyedea and Abilities, Cool Calm Pete, and Cunninlynguists, all of whom are worth a shot is you're into hip hop.

Also any Mr. Lif fans out there? If so, can anyone tell me what the deal with him and Tekken 3 is?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sorry to break it to you bro but Dance with the Devil isn't on Servants in Heaven, or even by JMT (Immortal Technique).
Sorry to break it to you, but maybe if you learnt how to read properly that isn't even what I said. I said that "Uncommon Valour is up there with Dance with the Devil as one of my favourite rap songs of all time", I never said that it was part of that album mate. So instead of snipping what I say, maybe read properly next time yeah?

On topic, you do seem to have good music taste so I'm definitely checking out Celestial Clockwork now!

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Yeah, I usually mostly listen to Nas/2pac/Immortal Technique, but I gotta say I love The Roots and Lupe, so I'll check out some of the other stuff talked about in here.

And I find it hilarious how no one has even mentioned the words "Jay Z" in here yet.

Geez man I missread, my bad, no need to get defensive. Sorry if I came off as kinda douche-ish, that wasn't my intention.

Anyway, Celestial Clockwork is definitely worth a listen, although Illogic can be pretty weird at times so he takes some getting used to. But once you really get into it, its just mind blowing. The actual song Celestial Clockwork is among my favorite songs of all time (among Aesop's Daylight, JMT's Black Winter Day, and Sage Francis's Crack Pipes) if not my favorite. Its the kind of song that when I'm bored I just put it on repeat and listen to it over and over.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not huge on Jay Z

However, I am pretty huge on Bone Thugs and Harmony, especially their old school stuff. I was very disappointed with Strength and Loyalty. I'm waiting for their brand new album with Flesh, to see if it's any good.

I'm also (or was ) huge on 2pac. 2 years ago, my mp3 player would be nothing BUT 2pac, and remixes of his songs by youtube people. Now, I've lessened a bit, but that man is still a legend.

I'm currently huge on Chamillionaire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)