Monotype The ground you stand on is your enemy (Ground team)

Hi. I've always loved Ground-type, and my favorite Pokemon are Rhyperior and Flygon (now Runerigus joins them). I want to try to create a competitive Ground-team Here is the team. If you see I should swap any Pokemon, feel free to comment it, I need a lot of feedback.

The goal of this team is to weaken the opponent with status problems (mainly Toxic 'cause by Toxic Spikes), hazards and sand, use Flygon to constantly scout and weaken the opponent, and open holes with Excadrill and Rhyperior. Hippowdon controls the weather while Runerigus controls the hazards and speed. And Seismitoad provides support against water.

Runerigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Trick Room
- Toxic Spikes
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp

Runerigus main role is to set hazards and try to burn something. It has very big Defense, allowing it to check things like opponent Excadrills. Poison Toxic + Ground-type is a good combination, forcing the Grass and Water teams to send Venusaur or Toxapex which don't like to be burned or receive Earthquakes from any other of my Pokemon. Lastly, it can provide support to Hippowdon or Rhyperior with Trick Room (originally I had Stealth Rock, but since Hippowdon had access to it too, I changed the fourth slot move for Trick Room).

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

First part of my sand core, it also provides rocks and acts as pseudo-hazer. Great bulky Pokemon that can act as supporter as well as a good hitter.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Second part of my sand core, my main offensive Pokemon and cleaner. I try to use Swords Dance and then spam Earthquake and Iron Head as soon as possible opening holes to the enemy opposition.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Substitute

Choosing between Seismitoad and Gastrodon is always hard. I've picked Seismitoad because the better speed. Protect + Substitute work good along with the Toxic Spikes set by Runerigus. Tbh I'm still doubtful if for this team is better Seismitoad or Gastrodon (since Gastrodon maybe can use Trick Room better).

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- U-turn

Flygon is my main special attacker, Revenge Killer and scouter. U-turn helps me scout the enemy and weaken it with help of sand and hazards. Despite being special attacker, I'm seeing myself using U-turn the most, so I'm doubting between the special set or a physical set with Dragon Claw/U-turn/Earthquake/Fire Blast

Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Smack Down
- Fire Punch

Rhyperior is my second answer for Corviknight, and my main way to pressing Flying-teams. Under Trick Room, it can be a hard Pokemon to deal with it. While Excadrill is my main sweeper, Rhyperior can act as a second sweeper under the correct circustances.

Importable
Runerigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Trick Room
- Toxic Spikes
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Substitute

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- U-turn

Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Smack Down
- Fire Punch

Last edited:

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, nice team! I have a few suggestions for you.

Major Changes

Runerigus -> Mamoswine

->

Runerigus isn't too great on Ground and Trick Room on it is kind of counterproductive since you have Sand Rush Excadrill and Scarf Flygon, while your slow Pokemon are defensive and don't really take advantage of Trick Room. I suggest Choice Band Mamoswine because your team is very weak to defensive Vileplume which gets OHKOed by CB Mamoswine. Mamoswine also works well with Scarf Flygon to beat Dragon teams thanks to its Ice Shard.

Minor Changes

Hippowdon

I suggest going full SpD on Hippowdon as that's the better set currently since it allows it to switch in on Specs Dragapult, Specs Aegislash, Gardevoir, Gengar and more. Between defensive Seismitoad and Rhyperior's natural bulk you don't really lack defense on this team.

Excadrill

Swords Dance on Excadrill isn't that good due to Smooth Rock being banned meaning Excadrill doesn't have enough turns to take advantage of the boosts. I'd replace SD with Toxic here because your team is incredibly weak to Stallbreaker Mew which beats everything with the combination of Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, Knock Off, and Roost. Excadrill outspeeds it in sand and can cripple it with Toxic.

Rhyperior

For Rhyperior to effectively check Corviknight you have to run Swords Dance with max Attack and max Speed since Corviknight can stall you out with enough boosts. Rock Blast isn't needed seeing as you have Smack Down so I'd put Swords Dance over that and replace Assault Vest with Leftovers for passive recovery.

:ss/mamoswine: :ss/hippowdon: :ss/excadrill: :ss/seismitoad: :ss/flygon: :ss/rhyperior:
[click on sprites for importable]

Hope my suggestions help you out, good luck with the team!

Hey there, nice team! I have a few suggestions for you.

Major Changes

Runerigus -> Mamoswine

->

Runerigus isn't too great on Ground and Trick Room on it is kind of counterproductive since you have Sand Rush Excadrill and Scarf Flygon, while your slow Pokemon are defensive and don't really take advantage of Trick Room. I suggest Choice Band Mamoswine because your team is very weak to defensive Vileplume which gets OHKOed by CB Mamoswine. Mamoswine also works well with Scarf Flygon to beat Dragon teams thanks to its Ice Shard.

Minor Changes

Hippowdon

I suggest going full SpD on Hippowdon as that's the better set currently since it allows it to switch in on Specs Dragapult, Specs Aegislash, Gardevoir, Gengar and more. Between defensive Seismitoad and Rhyperior's natural bulk you don't really lack defense on this team.

Excadrill

Swords Dance on Excadrill isn't that good due to Smooth Rock being banned meaning Excadrill doesn't have enough turns to take advantage of the boosts. I'd replace SD with Toxic here because your team is incredibly weak to Stallbreaker Mew which beats everything with the combination of Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, Knock Off, and Roost. Excadrill outspeeds it in sand and can cripple it with Toxic.

Rhyperior

For Rhyperior to effectively check Corviknight you have to run Swords Dance with max Attack and max Speed since Corviknight can stall you out with enough boosts. Rock Blast isn't needed seeing as you have Smack Down so I'd put Swords Dance over that and replace Assault Vest with Leftovers for passive recovery.

:ss/mamoswine: :ss/hippowdon: :ss/excadrill: :ss/seismitoad: :ss/flygon: :ss/rhyperior:
[click on sprites for importable]

Hope my suggestions help you out, good luck with the team!
Thank you very much for the tips! Since Mamoswine would be reemplacing Runerigus and I lose the Toxic spikes and Trick Room niche, what would be the best Water/Ground in this situation? Seismitoad or Gastrodon?

Thinking in swapping Seimitoad by the standard Gastrodon Earth Power-Scald-Toxic-Recover

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thank you very much for the tips! Since Mamoswine would be reemplacing Runerigus and I lose the Toxic spikes and Trick Room niche, what would be the best Water/Ground in this situation? Seismitoad or Gastrodon?

Thinking in swapping Seimitoad by the standard Gastrodon Earth Power-Scald-Toxic-Recover
You could do that, they're both around the same level but Gastrodon has Recover so that's really good. I'd run Earthquake over Earth Power though to break Calm Mind Keldeo's Substitute.

Edit: I meant Recover, not Toxic.

Last edited:
If you're gonna use a ground team, you can't go wrong with 10% Zygarde and its access to Thousand Arrows. Now not even flying types are safe from being put 6 feet under.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)