the good old ps2

i dunno guys, but after that xbox one reveal i was kinda turned off by this new generation. i don't have a wii u so i can't say anything bad about it, and since it actually looks pretty fun to me i won't judge. but really what i want to talk about here is the good old ps2. this console was a massive part of my childhood, after playing football outside or skateboarding or w/e me and my friends would always go to eachothers houses and play playstation together. we basically shared all our games, cycled them between ourselves, swapped memory cards, etc. multiplayer was always a blast when you were sitting in the same room with your mates and egging eachother on. nowadays all the multiplayer is mainly experienced via wifi (of course im not saying it's a bad thing, but i must say i prefer playing just with my firends and being able to talk with them irl while playing, even if splitscreen gave you a tiny space to work with lol).

so yeah i was mainly thinking we could discuss the good old ps2 games here, our favourite experiences while playing multiplayer, the best games to play, etc. i'll start off with some of my favourite titles here

there are obviously loads more, but these five were my alltime favourites. star wars BF2 is probably my most played game to date, even more than pokemon. you could level up your armies, play all the different infantry classes, have loads of vehicles, awesome space combat, relive scenes from the movies, play the heroes vs villains level, etc. 10/10 from me. need for speed carbon is my all time favourite racing game (my favourite genre, due to the way you can customize those lovely cars, the cop chases, the excruciatingly diffiicult boss races (especially towards the end) the awesome graphics, and more. gta SA is probably my favourite free roaming game as you could do literally anything, but i mainly played it for the awesome cheats lol. i mean really, who didnt? not infinte health and money or shit like that, but spawning a jetpack, the cars fly cheat like in that scene from harry potter 2, the weapon packs :3. last but not least ratchet and clank (well 1 to 3, i loved them all) was my favourite adventure game. it has hilarious storylines, cool weapons to upgrade, and that childish glow to it as well. tony hawk was also an awesoe game, mainly because my friends and i loved to skateboard and pull off all the trick we couldnt irl in this game. the free roaming around, sims-esque character customization, awesome tricks to pull off and expansive skateparks were an absolute joy to play around with.

i know i've not touched on many games, like fighting games, sports games, shoot em ups, etc, but the five i mentioned were my favourites, and i'd love to hear about yours :)

I remember, when my PS2 was playing up, I would place a $20 note on top of it, and suddenly it would start working again!

I recall the last time I played my PS2 I was playing Crash Twinsanity, and I don't know if it is just me, but that game is a lot harder than most games that we have today!

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ratchet and Clank was a great series, too bad the new ones on the PS3 kinda suck though. I loved Final Fantasy X and XII, more XII than X. XII had a great story and characters imo. X was just a masterpiece!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
One of these I'll get KH2 and finish the story.

My favorite PS2 game, which is in the running for DM's Favorite Game of All Time, is Silent Hill 2. Just flawless. Took a step out of the series' storyline and was a perfect one-off, and complete mindfuck. James Sunderland is the antihero of all antiheroes, and in every story I've ever written on Smogon, I've always led with with "Occupation: Protagonist". Great story, great music, great game.

Twisted Metal Black is another near-perfect game. It was the game that convinced me to buy a PS2 after I played it with a friend. So much goddamn fun. THUG is great, FFX is great.

Oh, and after years of looking, a few months ago I found Fatal Frame on Ebay. So happy to add that to my collection.

I'm one of those rare people who has Klonoa 2. Never did beat that game, I remember there was a level that was really bullshit that I couldn't complete.

But yeah, I have really fond memories of games like the Ratchet & Clank series, Jak 2, Sly Cooper, Gran Turismo 3 and DBZ Budokai. Know what I don't have fond memories of? Having to restart my games from the beginning every time I played them until my parents got me a memory card. WHY IN THE HELL DIDN'T THAT COME WITH THE FUCKING CONSOLE!?

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
budokai (various installments) and battlefront (2 as well) cost me many a balmy summer day

All of the good Armored Cores and my personal favorite Final Fantasies (x, x-2, 12 all) as well as Timesplitters, the only FPS I ever gave a shit about.

PS2 is still the best game system.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
if you're not playing the first star wars battlefront instead of the second you're doing it wrong just fyi

the first jak and daxter was awesome, fuk the other two

i'm still trying to complete yugioh duelist of the roses

the gta's were pretty fun

I'm a particular fan of the Sony consoles, and the PS2 really amazed the shit outta me. Some of the games I loved were Persona 3: FES, Persona 4, Final Fantasy 10 (even 10-2 to some extent), GTA 3/Vice City/San Andreas, Silent Hill 2 and 3, Project Zero (aka Fatal Frame) and Timesplitters 1 + 2. There are way more, but those come to mind first.

The fact that it was backwards compatible with PS1 games really made it an exceptional console and on a lesser extent being able to play DVDs on it.

the playstation 2 was the epitome of game consoles. It had a few things going for it outside of their games but the emphasis on its unique trait was there; playing video games. Some of my favorites games would be Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Final Fantasy 10, Marvel vs Capcom 2(if that counts even though its arcade), Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Battlefront II, Resident Evil 4, Okami, and the list goes on and on. PS2 had a brilliant 3rd party library and is what a game console should be. also cherub wow i didn't know anyone else cared about Tony Hawk's Underground 2. We should race it some time (unless you aren't into racing)

Between KH, FF, Disgaea, Suikoden, Tales, and what are arguably the 5 best SMT spinoffs the PS2 has easily the best RPG lineup of any modern system.

You guys are missing one key point

BACKWARDS FUCKING COMPATABILITY
kuja20 said:
The fact that it was backwards compatible with PS1 games really made it an exceptional console and on a lesser extent being able to play DVDs on it.
^ there, right there lol.

But that list has made me remember some other good amazing games which I didn't mention, but yeah, it certainly has a lot of notable RPGs which a lotta systems don't have (still waiting on Persona 5 dammit!)

I agree, the Xbox One...just isn't impressing...hell my gaming PC is probably stronger than it and the PS4 and I own it now.

PS2, fond memories. KH and FF10, yay.

ratchet and clank <3
my favourite one's gotta be 3, up your arsenal. loved the rpg elements and the fact that you could upgrade weapons multiple times. sick story, too.

also i played sonic games on it like all hell. damn i used to love sonic. still kinda cool i guess.

but then my damn sibling broke it so now the lid won't close. fuck him, man.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
the ps2 was my first console but I had one of the original releases that didn't play a certain disc type, I forget which, then it finally stopped playing any games so I have a white slim now.

I mostly played racing games (splashdown, offroad fury, SSX, gallop racer) and my dad and I spent many a day playing Lego Racers 2 together (until I beat him 99/100 races :c). enjoyed Kingdom Hearts as well.

Fantavision will remain one of my favorite games, it may be a release game but it's just so pretty and the music is so good.

even with the PS4 coming out, and the fact I never play my console games anymore, or handhelds, the PS2 was a lot of fun and bonding with my dad also it played SPYRO games, the true legend. I love Spyro 2 even if it's for PS1 still counts coz it actually plays on the PS2 huehue

Oh yeah backwards compatibility was absolutely a huge part of the enjoyment that i totally forgot to mention. One day i just went to the (idk how to say it in english: flohmarkt / "flea market"??) and picked up three ps1 games for an absolute bargain: spyro year of the dragon, spiderman enter electro and tomb raider.

I still like to play these games today... it really just goes to show that what matters isbthe gameplay and not the flashy graphics, and the bullshit from this xbox one just totally put me off. Really like some of your examples guys. Some other games that i absolutely loved to play were sw battlefront 1, dbz budokai tenkaichi 2 and of course KINGDOM HEARTS. I never owned the first two, but i did both versions of KH and played through them multiple times, but i guess i just had a brainfart and forgot them. Absolutely magical games.

ps2 is just getting better with age, these new consoles have absolutely nothing on it. no strings attached gaming is what i'm used to and what i want, and the ps2 delivers 100%.

I feel so old looking at this thread and seeing all the people talk about the PS2 the way I might have talked about the SNES or PS1. When did the PS2 become old-school? :(

Also given my recent discovery of Tales, this thread is another reminder of the fact that I'd still have to learn Japanese (or wait years for fan translations) to get the most out of Destiny 2 and Rebirth :(

oh my god rodan i LOVED that game but i lost it :(

never had anything to do with digimon before, but there little cries... that seal one always went: "marching fishes!!!" when it did this one attack (or at least thats what i assumed it said, because it shot what looked like a fish). then the black digimons were amazing as well. i think i mained black guilmon most of the time because i loved dinosaurs back then (still do lol). the digivolve feature was phenomenal, really made me prefer it to smash bros melee

^^ It's actually a lot more like PS All Stars Battle Royale rather than Melee. Marching Fishes thing was great. Keep away spam and grabs were kinda annoying though. I'm with you guys here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)