SV OU The GOAT Pawmot

What's your least favorite Gen 9 OU staple?

• Great Tusk

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Dragapult

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Dragonite

• Iron Valiant

• Gholdengo

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Kingambit

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
Star Crossed
1684986522785.png
1684986579006.png
1684986607838.png

Team:(Pokepaste)

1.Teambuilding Process
1684987639636.png
1684988528618.png

Firstly, I started out with Pawmot and Salamence. Salamence was added due to it's incredible intimidate as well as its survivability. Though there are a lot of Garg's and fairies running around, this mon's ability to counter most defensive tusks and lower offensive tusk is fun. I also miss using offensive flying types. Pawmot is here because I want him to unleash havoc upon teams with double shocks and close combats.
1684987931211.png
1684988534857.png
1684988659140.png

I then added Hatterene because I wanted to cause pressure with Magic Bounce and I enjoy using her calm mind set. It's solid and functions around most teams pretty well. She, in my experience, can 1v1 most gargs because of calm mind+draining kiss. I also like lighting Corviknights ablaze.
1684987931211.png
1684988538569.png
1684988659140.png
1684988788550.png

Then I added Cinderace. He allowed me to get hazards off of my side of the field if necessary while still pressuring the opposing mon due to its high speed stat. It's damage isn't terrible as well. I mainly use it for will-o-wisp support against bulkier teams so I can actually whittle down some strong attackers in the metagame
1684987931211.png
1684988538569.png
1684989067377.png
1684989095614.png
1684989349866.png

Next I added Clodsire basically because I know my team has no real way to deal with any special pressure and, thank arceus, Clodsire covers a lot of the special threats.
1684987931211.png
1684988538569.png
1684989067377.png
1684989095614.png
1684989349866.png
1684989688493.png

Lastly I added Rotom-W for it's natural bulk as well as having a good water type with a pivot move and access to speed control with thunder wave. Though I've experienced its inaccuracy, it is a great mon to just have on the team.

2. Pokémon Descriptions
1684990818855.png

Tank★ (Pawmot) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Shock
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Revival Blessing

Role on Team:
Pawmot is my heavy hitter. Whenever I can secure Pawmot in a position to hit hard and then either switch out into a safe option or to scare pokemon into a position where I can press Revival blessing for free or for minimal risk. Double shock as its hardest hitting electric stab , cc for stab fighting and mach punch as my priority. RB is there to help mons that I misuse get back into a position. But mostly it's just to create more positions for me to win rather than to fix my screw ups. I am using life orb so that I can choose different moves but I was running CB beforehand. Life Orb just felt easier to use than CB.

1684992028169.png

Lunari★ (Salamence) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-
Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Roost

Role on Team:
Salamence is here as intimidate support and a strong Flying Dragon type with dual stab that hits hard. Salamence offers solid defensive utility against mons like Great Tusk and Kingambit, mainly by being able to beat Bulk Up Tusk as well as Defensive Tusk easily and by lowering the attack of SO Kingambit. Flamethrower for steel types like Corvi, Draco for stab and Hurricane for stab as well. Roost was for survivability and I used tera water to resist ice moves. Though Tera steel is an option, I don't like having more weaknesses to ground on this team. There is already enough. EV'd Salamences speed to outspeed any 317 mons as a just because I don't think max speed is that important for this mon.

1684992644950.png

Enchantress★ (Hatterene) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Role on Team:
Hatterene, along with being a great early game problem versus set up, also has a really nice end game plan with calm mind and consistent healing in Draining Kiss. I've found myself in many a positive position due to calm mind. This mon is also my main way of getting hazards off of my side of the field. It's solid bulk allows it to take a couple physical hits as well and that's combined with a very nice typing. Great against Tusk and other setters in OU. EV'd specifically for the extra jump in defense it gets from 212 to 216. 204 was a bit low and there wasn't really anything this was outspeeding with the extra speed on the regular clam mind set. Mystical fire to slow down spatk boosting mons and Iron Valiant. Psyshock to beat those pesky poison walls like Iron Moth, TD Glimmora and Clodsire.

1684993276072.png

Chigiri★ (Cinderace) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Court Change

Role on Team:
Cinderace is my lil set up stance changer. He is so good at coming in threatening powerful libero options and then just pressing funny court change or will-o-wisp on mons that don't expect it. Though it is very high in popularity for Cinderace sets, his pivoting and just ability to start momentum is very much enjoyed. Also great at getting in Pawmot against mons if he forces a switch. Cinderace is EV'd to do this:
[32 Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 318-374 (100.9 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO]

1684989349866.png

Cloddi★ (Clodsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Toxic

Role on Team:
Clodsire is the premier spdef tank in Gen 9 OU and I intend to use it as such. It is excellent at soaking up hits and just being a general nuisance to those spdef mons wondering if it will or won't come out on their next attack. It excels at setting up it's hazards, tanking hits and setting up toxic on incoming mons and doing chip to a few mons. Unaware to beat volcarona and tera fairy so that I don't have to cry and ff against Walking Wake teams. EV'd to do cool surviving thing:
[0 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Clodsire: 390-462 (84 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery]

1684994106025.png

Washingtons★ (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Protect
- Thunder Wave

Role on Team:
Rotom-W is just my defensive tank. He takes hits amazingly from steel, physical liquidation Iron Valiant, which I've been seeing a weird amount of, as well as spreading that paralysis to control the speed better and allow Pawmot to wreak havoc. His defenses and ability are just too good to not use. Levitate giving me another ground immunity and its typing is just excellent, basically only having a weakness to grass which is a bit scarce at the moment, other than the rare Meowscarada. I didn't EV this for anything, just pressed import and then defensive Rotom. Lovely as a physdef wall.

>>That is all! Thanks for reading and I appreciate all feedback and criticism. I'd like to use this team before home where I get to destroy everyone with specs Zapdos (:D) and I really want to understand teambuilding.

Attachments

Last edited:
On paper, your team looks pretty good. I would swap tera fire on hatt for water and tera fairy on clod for dark. Water gives you more resistance while dark helps against stored power since you're running unaware of water absorb.

To be honest, there is something off with your team that I can't put my finger on. I think it's that your team seems to run very thin, and falls apart once Mence gets taken out. Eh, I could be wrong. But I also know that I don't see a good way to replace a mon to fix this without replacing several (which I don't want to do). I'll drink some coffee and get back to you.

One more thing; Take it easy on the colors, they hurt my brain and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Also, try not to use colors that are too dark or too light. Light mode and dark mode users alike will thank you :)

EDIT: I think I figured it out.
You have no wincon. You have no good way to win. You can survive, for a bit. But there isn't much OOMPF behind your team. Maybe Hatt can help but Hatt is piddles.

Might I suggest something...?

:clodsire: --> :slowking:

Clodsire is great, and I've used them for a while. But clodsire doesn't seem to help a whole lot in the long run. Equake is okay but kinda weak, I don't know how many rocks you want to throw out with court change in play, and you're already running thunderwave and wisp so you need to be stopped at toxic.

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots/ leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Future Sight
- Chilly Reception
- Surf
- Thunderwave

This set allows you to get some nice momentum going, you have a surprise factor with future sight, and you're not running several different status moves. Plus you can still soak up hits and don't have to waste a move in recover with regenerator.

What you can also do is try out this set instead depending on which one butters your toast.

The Slow (Slowking) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

This is what I use and while it lacks the ability to pivot, it hits like a truck and takes damage like a sponge. 10/10 I highly recommend but either set is going to fit better IMO.

Secondly, can we switch around some things with Mence?

:salamence:
Salamence @ Life Orb/ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake
- Outrage/ dragon claw

Here is your wincon. You can choose to pivot over to them, unleash an intimidate, and then DD up to become the menace you were meant to be. I think people seriously underestimate Mence, and this set will help you to unleash its full potential. I see this set as a late-game sweeper when most of the opponent mons have been widdled down and I think it'll do its job very well.

Other suggestions are as follows:

:hatterene:
Swapping psyshock for nuzzle. It's controversial but nuzzle can paralyze Ghold and I think this is overlooked. Maybe swap nuzzle in for mystic fire but play around with it and see if this is something you want to do.

:rotom-wash:
thunderwave --> wisp

Now Rotom can swap better into physically offensive mons like Tusk and Gambit and it'll pair well with Cincerace.

I've suggested a couple of mons to use either wisp or wave, for the burn or para, and I would like to add a disclaimer: I would use nuzzle if you are using wave on Rotom and Slowking, whereas I would not use nuzzle if you are using an AV Slowking and wisp Rotom. Basically, I would make sure your team is predominantly using one or the other so you don't try to burn a paralyzed mon or visa versa.

Does this make sense? Tell me if it doesn't and I'll try to re-word it...

ANYWAY, this is what I think might help out a little more than what you have without me changing too many things on your team (because your team still feels off but I am going to ignore this feeling).
So yeah, there. Happy? I hope so :) :mad:

Last edited:
To be honest, there is something off with your team that I can't put my finger on.
TRUST ME I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND lol. The team functions very oddly around itself but the biggest thing that felt off to me was its inability to take the initiative. It takes years to pivot around the other team and not having a pokemon, other than hatt, than can really set up and start a sweep, makes it a bit difficult to win games. I feel as though most teams are made around a certain function like having that wincon, stalling or having a bulky offense. Tbf, this team originally had Pawmot + Kingambit which was really good because SO kingambit did really well next to Revival Blessing
This was the team before I swapped Kingambit to make more of an overtime damaging team: https://pokepast.es/6ff52e6962d264c9
I couldn't really understand what was messing with my team, but maybe it's the addition of a defensive cinder that makes it odd. Either way, I definitely understand how you felt abt it.

zReptar

formerly LT83AQ Lou
TRUST ME I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND lol. The team functions very oddly around itself but the biggest thing that felt off to me was its inability to take the initiative. It takes years to pivot around the other team and not having a pokemon, other than hatt, than can really set up and start a sweep, makes it a bit difficult to win games. I feel as though most teams are made around a certain function like having that wincon, stalling or having a bulky offense. Tbf, this team originally had Pawmot + Kingambit which was really good because SO kingambit did really well next to Revival Blessing
This was the team before I swapped Kingambit to make more of an overtime damaging team: https://pokepast.es/6ff52e6962d264c9
I couldn't really understand what was messing with my team, but maybe it's the addition of a defensive cinder that makes it odd. Either way, I definitely understand how you felt abt it.
This revamp will likely be more consistent but I will say encore dnite and cm Val look threatening

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)