The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had bad knees for quite some time and because of that I've never been a fan of running, it always hurt too much. But recently my friend convinced me to try out a pair of Nike Free Runs and since buying them I've actually had the urge to go for runs everyday. I had no idea that you could actually run and not regret it immediately after you were done, but now it's definitely going to be a part of my everyday routine.

I also just realized that this post kinda seems like an ad for Nike. It's not meant to be that way, but they are great shoes!

thanks for the responses guys. as i'm starting to run alot more, I'm starting to develp knee and shin pains (also it doesn't help that my outdoor track is almost as hard as concrete). does this eventually clear away as my legs get used to running longer distances?

So I can pretty much move my hand pain free now.... But the doctor said don't lift anything heavy or exert mass amount of pressure... But I can do pushups fine without pain ( I'm not supposed to do pushups either lol)
Should/can I do pushups until I get cleared on march 9th?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
hypothetically, if we said yes, would you take the advice of some dudes on a pokemon forum over the instructions of your doctor?

march 9th is like 2 weeks, stick it out.

well let's see:

if you want to and feel it's worth the risk, go for it
if you don't feel any pain while doing it, go for it
if you don't feel any pain but don't feel it's worth the risk, don't go for it
if you do feel pain while doing it but want to tough it out, go for it
if you do feel pain and don't want to tough it out, don't go for it
if you feel it's worth the risk/benefit no matter what, go for it
if you don't feel it's worth the risk/benefit no matter what, don't go for it
if you would rather just jack off, go for it

in short, do whatever

the conservative lee, versus the free spirit popemobile in: ADVICE SHOWDOWN

who will win

we'll find out next time zetolongnametoolazytoscrollupeventhoughitslesseffortthantypingthis posts!!!!!

also i appreciate it nina :D ps the thread is even better when you post in it;)

pretty sure Lee used to be a free spirit until multiple injuries forced him to become conservative. imo just wait it out. i have been trying to come back too early from injury and it has set me back nearly a year. no point in risking it for 2 weeks.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
since this is physical injuries thread guess it can't hurt to ask here:

last wednesday i was doing some box jumps and hit my right knee on the wall with moderate impact. the day after it didn't hurt or anything, but it would crack/pop a lot more, whenever i either fully flexed or extended it. i continued training thursday/friday since it didn't hurt, but when i woke up saturday the knee was a little achy with some discomfort when bending the knee. kept cracking extremely often too.

i took sunday-tuesday off with no running or lifting and iced the knee some, the pain went away and it was pretty much feeling normal. lifted wednesday with squats and dls, felt perfectly fine thursday morning. but then when i went out for a run on thursday, afterwards the knee started hurting again like it did before i took the time off. it also resumed pretty much cracking constantly. the pain is very mild, i normally wouldn't even think twice about it but i'm a bit worried because it's recurred and idk why it's happening. also the constant cracking is kind of disconcerting, normally i crack all my joints a good amount but this knee is literally popping once per minute when i move my leg around or flex quads.

do any of you have any clue what could have happened to the knee? it's not a bruise because it doesn't hurt when applying pressure at any point, tried googling but nothing really turned up since doesn't feel like chondromalacia and i'm p sure my quads are strong enough from squatting so much. for now i'm just icing/resting again, hopefully this going away soon...

Lee

@ Thick Club
is it swollen i guess is the first and most obvious question? secondly, is it the upper/lower front of the knee? side of the knee?

it seems a little odd to have lasting symptoms from a 'moderate' impact, but i guess that's semantics - i'm thinking the knock has either triggered/brought to your attention an already existing condition (seems plausible since you squat a lot and cracking knees is a common theme in people with squat-caused knee problems) or caused a soft tissue injury. do some research on both and see how they match up...if it's still niggling in about a week i'd probably go and see a doctor.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
no visible swelling anywhere near the knee, and the minor pain/discomfort seems to have gone away for today so can't pinpoint a location. iirc it was just kind of in the general area of the knee, not really focused at one point though. googling the symptoms says the cracking could be caused by the patella being out of alignment or tracking improperly (patellofemoral syndrome), maybe the knock aggravated a mild form of that or something.

for now i'm planning on just icing and resting until all discomfort goes away and then resuming training. if it recurs yet again i'll get it checked out by a doctor, would be really irritating if this turned out to be a somewhat serious problem but for now it doesn't seem like anything too significant

the conservative lee, versus the free spirit popemobile in: ADVICE SHOWDOWN

who will win

we'll find out next time zetolongnametoolazytoscrollupeventhoughitslesseffortthantypingthis posts!!!!!

also i appreciate it nina :D ps the thread is even better when you post in it;)
I mean, obviously we don't know as much about the condition of his hand as he does, and I'm all for playing injuries by feel and going from there. Then again I have had certain injuries for longer than necessary because I don't give them enough time to heal, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

That said, I'm pretty much at 100% right now so the system works.

Listen to your body and go from there. Deal with the consequences of your actions when they happen. I totally understand wanting to work through injuries because I hate taking time off, but be smart about it.

as always, please...........stay safe

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
My surgery is set for March 5th. 6 weeks on crutches after that.

I'll never be healthy again!

Lee

@ Thick Club
good luck man. i know it might seem bleak now...i'm no expert on avascular necrosis so I don't know what the outlook is but i remember thinking my world was over when I was told I wouldn't be able to run again but I found other things and I adjusted. you'll still be able to do all manner of weight training exercises, swimming presumably, rock-climbing is always great exercise (and fun too!), and other stuff. i know you're still likely bitter at the moment and that this is no consolation at all (and indeed might seem outright offensive in which case I apologise but i can only speak from my own experiences) but one of the few positives of a serious injury is that every physical achievement from here on in is 10x more satisfying

can't tell you how gutted i am by this whole ordeal, it seemed as though you were in a great place (physically and mentally) prior to this and the whole thing is exceedingly cruel.

yeah, this post probably wasnt as helpful as i hoped it would be, just want you to know i'm thinking of you and i'm sure i'm not the only one

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Oddly enough, I'd thought I wouldn't be able to bend my knee under pressure at this point, but getting back to training has actually helped. I've actually been squatting a little bit more without having on to hold on to something. I can pretty much say training is going great so far, I'm able to lock up most submissions that involve my knees bending with slight pain, nothing drastic. I still take extreme caution and stretch properly and wear a knee brace, which I'll be wearing till I'm 100%, if not at all times from now on.

@ DM. You probably don't want to hear this or believe it, but injuries take time to heal. Looking back right now, back in December I thought I was fucked for life. I was looking through all this athletes that got MCL/ACL injuries, most of them have their career ended or have it rough. People scared me with shit like "oh your tendon is fucked up your gonna be limping for the rest of your life", and yes, I was limping real bad through November through December. I guess shit like this didn't bother me, because I never payed attention to it. It got to the limits where my mom thought I should call it quits, but I couldn't. People were pretty much telling me to take the surgery route and call it quits on my dreams, which with me, was in no way in hell happening. I guess it's just my typical hard-headed thinking or my tough mentality, who knows. It's just something inside my head that tells me don't stop. Some people have it, some people don't.

tl;dr: Recovery is very long and at some points you feel like it's never going to heal, but you will be back to normal. With a few pops here and there, you will be able to continue with your life. You can make of the recovery time the most positive experience as you want, it's just all in your head.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
since this is physical injuries thread guess it can't hurt to ask here:

last wednesday i was doing some box jumps and hit my right knee on the wall with moderate impact. the day after it didn't hurt or anything, but it would crack/pop a lot more, whenever i either fully flexed or extended it. i continued training thursday/friday since it didn't hurt, but when i woke up saturday the knee was a little achy with some discomfort when bending the knee. kept cracking extremely often too.

i took sunday-tuesday off with no running or lifting and iced the knee some, the pain went away and it was pretty much feeling normal. lifted wednesday with squats and dls, felt perfectly fine thursday morning. but then when i went out for a run on thursday, afterwards the knee started hurting again like it did before i took the time off. it also resumed pretty much cracking constantly. the pain is very mild, i normally wouldn't even think twice about it but i'm a bit worried because it's recurred and idk why it's happening. also the constant cracking is kind of disconcerting, normally i crack all my joints a good amount but this knee is literally popping once per minute when i move my leg around or flex quads.

do any of you have any clue what could have happened to the knee? it's not a bruise because it doesn't hurt when applying pressure at any point, tried googling but nothing really turned up since doesn't feel like chondromalacia and i'm p sure my quads are strong enough from squatting so much. for now i'm just icing/resting again, hopefully this going away soon...
This was my situation, I never knew how and I never felt how my MCL tore on my knee. The slightest abnormal movement under pressure on the knee can cause cartilage ruptures, which include LCL, MCL, PCL, ACL. This diagram should give you a more understanding, mentally;

Your symptoms are very similar to mine. I remember I felt the soreness on a Tuesday after training, I thought it was just a sore though, because after that class my whole body was sore. I rested Wednesday and Thursday I did 3x5 190. Friday morning I woke up and as I was getting off my bead, as I was bending my knee to place my foot on the floor, I felt this sharp pain on my knee. I noticed initial swelling around the MCL area showed on the picture above. I noticed something was wrong. I wasn't walking right. Bending my knee even slightly to walk was painful as fuck.

I'm no doctor or anything, but you might have injured one of the above. There is a possibility it's a sprain, but it's not any better. Pretty much anything regarding the knees is a bitch. I'd give it a a few more days. If walking becomes for difficult, you notice swelling, and just bending your knee is painful, then see a doctor and get an MRI. If you're economically stable, then you will heal faster with proper rehab from a PT.

So I'm trying to get back into running (cross-country training starts next week) and I discovered a couple of things this afternoon:

-Sprinting all out after drinking tonnes of water can induce vomiting
-Knees sometimes hurt for no good reason
-Pedestrians/passers-by are often irritating and in the way

Also, what do you guys listen to when you workout/exercise? I'm looking for more songs to add to my fitness playlist. Fast, motivational songs are good, stuff that makes you want to try harder. Do you guys ever listen to music during the actual long-distance events etc?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
You should never drink "tons" of water, especially before or during prolonged exercise.

Also, what do you guys listen to when you workout/exercise? I'm looking for more songs to add to my fitness playlist. Fast, motivational songs are good, stuff that makes you want to try harder. Do you guys ever listen to music during the actual long-distance events etc?
Ace Hood, Drake, Eminem, Nicki, Daft Punk, some trance, Andre 3000 and a bunch of other rap oh and everyone in slaughterhouse makes good music

i didn't even know you could listen to music during events

You should never drink "tons" of water, especially before or during prolonged exercise.
QFT.

[x] talk to ToF

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
So I'm trying to get back into running (cross-country training starts next week) and I discovered a couple of things this afternoon:

-Sprinting all out after drinking tonnes of water can induce vomiting
-Knees sometimes hurt for no good reason
-Pedestrians/passers-by are often irritating and in the way

During my training we roll to a lot of that alternative rock music from the radio, I train with nothing but white people. When some of the other professional mexicans come, its nothing but Bun-B, Slim thug, a lot of Houston rap stuff, and YMCB occasionally.

Personally, I don't like headphones while I do lift weights. I feel very limited when it comes to my movements.

Yeah I think I'm just gonna wait until the 9th... I might drop down and do a few here and there but
nothing too big.

Good workout music? I personally listen to Metal. I prefer thrash and death. They get my pumped more than anything. Rap sometimes does it but eh... I still love metal.
Some great bands (metal wise, not on any specific subgenre either) are Carcass, Dying Fetus, Decapitated, Dååth, Gojira, Scar Symmetry, and After the Burial.

music is for pussies who need to be distracted imo

also, coach says I have flat feet, and this may be the source of my recurring achilles problems. time will tell.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Now that I'm back at it, it's time to start lifting...with a twist. I'm planning on cutting down to 165 from 210 and see how I feel at that weight, how I move and most importantly how my cardio is affected. It's a serious cut but I know for a fact I'm going to have a problem limiting myself to what I can eat. I don't drink but I do smoke, so it might be a factor, but not as much as drinking on weekends would.

I'll be stopping SS and switch to Layne Norton's as well. I'm limited to the exercises I can do because I don't have dumbells, but I do have my barbell, and that's all I'll need. I'm expecting to be fatigued and also expect to be not so on point with my diet but I'm going for it. It all depends on me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)