~The Frenzy Plants - My Grass Team~

Grass is, has, and always will be my favorite type, so I got really excited about all the new Grass Pokemon (ESPECIALLY Ferrothorn - Grass/Steel is the one of the type combos I REALLY wanted), and then I got super mega excited when I found out about the Rotom type changes because Grass/Electric is another type combo I wanted, and I already loved Rotom! So, naturally, this led me to make an all-Grass team. This is meant to be a serious team and not a gimmick, and I tried really hard to make it that way! This is my first mono-type team, and, while I think it's pretty good, it's still a long way from being as good as it can be.

Mah Team!

Dansah!
(Yes, the exclamation mark is included in the nickname)

Ludicolo @ Choice Scarf
Rain Dish
4 HP / 252 SA / 252 Sp
Timid
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

He is one of the two fully offensive Pokemon on my team. He was originally a physical, Swords Dance variant, but I needed a powerful Water move more than I needed Fire Punch. But yeah, he's been performing well, and is virtually irreplaceable since he's the only Grass Pokemon with STAB Water moves. Also, this setup really catches people off guard, which is awesome because they never expect Ludicolo to go before their Pokemon! I love having a surprise factor >:]

Cap

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal (orly?)
240 HP / 8 At / 252 Df / 8 Sp
Impish
- Spore
- Superpower
- Mach Punch
- Protect

When I first started testing my team, I realized I was in desperate need of a Pokemon who knew a priority move -- Breloom was the only Grass one who had one with STAB. She is my revenge-killer/putter-to-sleep...er, and she does a good job. However, I'm thinking of replacing Superpower with Stone Edge, because I seem to never need Fighting moves when Breloom's out on the field. Also, the EVs are the way they are because, with 240 HP EVs, her HP is divisible by 8 + 1. I know that works for Leftovers (/16 + 1), so I thought I'd try it for this, too. And I figured I'd put those EVs in Speed to outspeed any neutral base 70s, and any of them who thought the same thing! XD

Kottun Kandy

Rotom @ Leftovers
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SA / 252 Sp
Timid
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rain Dance

Rotom is... Rotom. It doesn't that much of a super specific role, but I love it and I'm not taking it off the team. Leaf storm is an obvious choice, and Volt Switch works REALLY well with it. Will-O-Wisp is there for a disabling move, and Rain Dance is there to stop any harmful weather. I put in on Rotom's set because I've encounter SO MANY weather teams on the Smogon server, and a Sunny Day one can shut me down completely. And Sandstorm isn't too nice, either. Also, it helps if I use Rain Storm and then Volt Switch to Ludicolo, who can then Surf for a few turns and hopefully get at least one KO.

Masque

Roserade @ Choice Scarf
Natural Cure
4 HP / 252 SA / 252 Sp
Modest
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Aromatherapy

He's my other fully offensive Pokemon. Roserade doesn't get much coverage, but Leaf Storm does a heck of a lot of damage. I haven't actually tested him with a Modest nature, but I think it would work better because his current power rating hasn't been enough to get some really important kills. Aromatherapy is on there because I need a Pokemon with it (a status/entry-hazards team totally shut me down, and there was nothing else to put there anyway), and because I'm not using Hidden Power -- that's why I was using Fire Punch on Ludicolo. Why, you ask? Because I plan to make this team in-game without hacking, and there's no way I'm going to breed-grind for millions of hours trying to get a Budew with the perfect IVs. I have to draw the line somewhere! X3 The batle simulator is just a simulator, so why practice with a team that's impossible to get?

Lilly

Cradily @ Leftovers
Suction Cups
224 HP / 128 Df / 156 SD
Impish
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Recover

Lilly is currently the weakest link on my team... Well, she might be tied. Anyway, Cradily is on the team because I like it, and because of coverage (Rock and Ground are good). I don't really know what set to use, though -- all of the ones I've tried have been so-so. What will happen is that she's either too slow to move when she needs to, not quite bulky enough to take hits when she needs to, and not strong enough to kill when she needs to. But sometimes it works. This one might have to go. I don't know.

Penny
(Get it? Because she's impenetrable. Ho ho ho...)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
64 HP / 252 At / 192 SD
IVs: 0 Speed
Brave
- Gyro Ball
- Payback
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Oh Penny... What do I do with you? I love you so much and you are so supercoolly fantabulous, yet your performance is never good enough... Yeah. This is my other weakest link. All she does is set up Stealth Rock (SOMETIMES), sits there and uses weak attacks, and then dies from her obvious and fatal Fire and Fighting weaknesses. And, without recovery... yeah. I don't know what to do with her. She pulls through sometimes... and that's it. She's not reliable. It's probably because Ferrothorn is so hyped over than everyone now carries a Fire move and knows what it's gonna do. I can't deal with people who are good at predicting, which is why I make teams like this c: Also, I was thinking about replacing Toxic with Spikes (so she doesn't just sit there and do nothing when she can't attack), and Gyro Ball with Power Whip (Speed doesn't seem to be so universally high anymore...). Thoughts?

Possible Replacements
Since some of my Pokemon aren't pulling their weight, I've thought about some replacements. Tell me if I should put these Pokes in, or if there's a way to make my sucky ones better!

Leafeon

I was thinking of replacing it with Roserade; good attack, good movepool, better speed, etc. But it doesn't have a Leaf Storm to plow with -- only Leaf Blade. So yeah, coverage or power?

Torterra

This is my idea for Cradily's replacement. It has better attack and HP, and better offense in general. The only think that's making me weary is that Cradily takes neutral damage to Fire attacks, and I'm scared of only having one Pokemon who can do that instead of two. There is that annoying Fighting weakness, though. I don't know.

Lilligant

She has Aromatherapy (or is it Heal Bell? It doesn't matter) and Synthesis, so she could be a possible cleric or something. But I wouldn't know who to replace her with... There doesn't seem like there's much room on the team for her, and she doesn't have any useful resistances or attack coverage.

Final Thoughts
I really like this team and its potential to be super awesome and amazing (for a mono-type team!). I know mono-type teams are gimmicky, but I hate playing like everybody else. It's fun to surprise people and come up with unique strategies on my own, so please don't tell me that I shouldn't make this team or that it can't compare with regular teams or whatever; I know it can't always compete with the typical metagame, but I don't care. I lose more than I win, but I like trying to best the odds and win cleverly!

Also, in case it wansn't obvious, my team's threats are ANYTHING WITH A FIRE, ICE, OR BUG ATTACK. Mostly Fire. And there are no Grass Pokemon who can learn Rapid Spin, so I'mma just haveta deal with entry hazards (Cradily could possibly do that with Suction Cups and some boosting moves, but statuses kill it and it couldn't do much anyway). Yeah... Thanks for rating! :D

I actually tried making a mono-grass team recently too, they're a lot of fun. =)

I would get rid of Scarf Roserade, and replace it with Nasty Plot Celebi. You don't have a good set-up sweeper, and Celebi absolutely runs through teams after one tunr of set-up.
Celebi @ Life Orb
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Giga Drain
-Earth Power
-Psychic/Hidden Power Fire
Nasty Plot to boost, Giga Drain is STAB, plus it heals off damage from LO and hazards. Earth Power is coverage against steels and fires (especially Heatran) and Psychic is secondary STAB. Personally I don't bother with Psychic and use Hidden Power Fire for Skarmory and Ferrothorn, but you said you didn't want to use Hidden Powers on your team, so Psychic is fine.

I would change up your Rotom-C's set too. With a Scarf, it makes an insane revenge killer and scout. What is Rain Dance doing on it anyway? You're not even using Thunder. I realize that you have it to shut down other weather (especially Sun) but there's a better place for it. You'll see.
Rotom-C @ Choice Scarf
Modest
112 HP/252 SpA/144 Spe
-Volt Change
-Leaft Storm
-Hidden Power Ice/Will-o-wisp/Pain Split/Thunder(bolt)
-Trick
Scarf + Volt Change is awesome, allowing you to scout effectively. Leaf Storm hits very hard, and Hidden Power Ice is for coverage. Again, if you're against Hidden Power, you can put something like Thunderbolt or Thunder for stronger electric STAB, or even Pain Split or WoW in that slot, but it won't be as effective. Finally, Trick can really fuck certain Pokémon over. Stuff like Blissey, CroCune, Ferrothorn, Jellicent, etc all hate getting locked into one move.

Now, I suggest dropping Choice Scarf for Life Orb on Ludicolo. Then drop either Focus Blast or Ice Beam for Rain Dance. Then change Rain Dish to Swift Swim. You wanted Rain Dance on your team to help against other weather teams, why not put it on something that can actually take advantage of it? With Rain Dance, Swift Swim, and Life Orb, Ludicolo can attempt a mini-sweep if given the chance (eg. come in on a choiced water/ground attack, or something you scare out).
Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Rain Dance
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Giga Drain
-Ice Beam/Focus Blast
Rain Dance not only gets rid of Sun/Sand/Hail, but it doubles up Ludi's speed, and powers up his water attack. Surf vs Hydro Pump is accuracy vs power, choose which ever you like better. Giga Drain is secondary STAB and helps with nasty Life Orb recoil. Ice Beam vs Focus Blast in the last slot depends on whether you want to hit dragons and other grasses, or Ferrothorn. IMO I think Ice Beam is the better choice in this situation.

Your Breloom really confuses me. Why do you have Superpower AND Mach Punch? That's an open invitation for Gengar, Chandelure, Golurk, Spiritomb, Jellicent, Frosslass, etc.. you see where I'm going with this.. to come in, especially once you've already Spore'd something. You DON'T want to give engar a free Sub, or Golurk a free Rock Polish, for example. If you're using Poison Heal on Breloom, I think the standard Spore/Subsititute/Focus Punch/Seed Bomb or Stone Edge set is best. However, since you said you really needed the priority, then the set you have is fine, as long as you cut Superpower for a not-fighting move like Stone Edge.

Also, Cradily sucks outside of Sandstorm, cut it for something. Anything. Virizion, Shaymin, Whimsicott, etc are all better.

I'm tired so I can't really think of anything else right now, but yeah, good luck and such. :)

Ludicolo: It's offensive, so use Swift Swim.

Breloom: Focus Punch, Seed Bomb and Leech Seed are all good options to replace Superpower. Also, consider Substitute over Protect, especially with Leech Seed or Focus Punch.

Actually, if you want priority, why not use good priority and use Technician? You plan to make this an ingame team eventually...

Rotom: I think Thunder over Volt Switch or Will-O-Wisp would be awesome, if you expect to consistently use Rain Dance. It's very strong, and I don't think Volt Switch would do much at -2, so you might as well switch. (Of course, Volt Switch+Will-O-Wisp is pretty awesome.)

Roserade: Aromatherapy...if it works, it works, but I would recommend either something like Giga Drain or Sleep Powder. Sleep Powder gives you that free turn to switch out. Also, Spikes/Toxic Spikes can be used without forcing you to switch immediately.

Ferrothorn: No recovery? Try Leech Seed instead of Toxic. The opponent still loses health, but you gain some. If you want even more recovery, use Protect. Then, attack EVs are somewhat pointless as Ferrothorn is used more defensively. Besides, you say Ferrothorn is not taking hits well.

wow. grass's got a huge buff this gen.
BTW. Was Breloom's dreamworld released? IIRC You'll have to move it to DW if you use techiloom.

Rotom-why are you running rain dance? Either replace rain dance for somethin else or replace volt switch for thunder.

Breloom- I really love usin this pokemon and i do not know why the heck you are running superpower and mach punch. If you want mach punch then change its ability to technician and replace superpower with bullet seed and protect with substitute and toxic orb with leftovers. You can also keep poison heal ability and replace mach punch with seed bomb superpower with focus punch and protect with substitute.

If you want roserade to hit hard with leaf storm then i would replace it with serperior. Serperior has the ability contrary so every time your leaf storm hits not only do you get the stab powerful grass move but you get +2 spa every time you use it to up it even more. I would run this set:

Name: Serperior
Nature: Timid
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Hidden Power [Ice]
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Leech Seed

With this set you can setup leech seed and then start leaf storming away. If you manage to sub up thats even better. Hidden power ice for dragons.

i would replace cradily with torterra and the following set:

name: Torterra
move 1: Wood Hammer
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe

Giving it 522 base attack this thing kicks some butt. He can kill a lot of types with choice band and his defense allows him not to be OHKOd by physical sweepers (unless they are choice banded as well or have boosts).

Ferrothorn-you have many options here. You can replace payback with leech seed and toxic with protect for a nice stall or you could replace payback with leech seed and replay toxic with spikes or you coud replace payback for leech seed and toxic for powerwhip. I would reccomend replacing payback with leech seed and toxic with spikes.

For Ferrothorn, this is the set I've had the most success with:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252Hp 60Def 196SDef
Sassy
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave / Toxic / Gyro Ball
- Protect

Nothing special here, just a standard Ferrothorn stall, but it can do wonders if you can get in on a favorable switch. Leech Seed on turn one and then protect to regain health lost from the set up, or optionally Thunder Wave to try and stop their speedy pokemon. Toxic and Gyro Ball are other viable options for this set if you want it to be more offensively oriented.

Thanks everyone! I tried out some of the suggestions and they were really helpful! I just did a few battles, but I could tell it made a big difference! Anyway...

I actually tried making a mono-grass team recently too, they're a lot of fun. =)

I would get rid of Scarf Roserade, and replace it with Nasty Plot Celebi. You don't have a good set-up sweeper, and Celebi absolutely runs through teams after one tunr of set-up.
Celebi @ Life Orb
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Giga Drain
-Earth Power
-Psychic/Hidden Power Fire
Nasty Plot to boost, Giga Drain is STAB, plus it heals off damage from LO and hazards. Earth Power is coverage against steels and fires (especially Heatran) and Psychic is secondary STAB. Personally I don't bother with Psychic and use Hidden Power Fire for Skarmory and Ferrothorn, but you said you didn't want to use Hidden Powers on your team, so Psychic is fine.
I don't have access to Celebi in my games (and I'm not sure if I will), so, for now, I'm going to stick with Roserade. But, if I find the game I got that event Celebi in, then I'll be sure to try this out! x3
Your ideas for Ludicolo and Rotom were awesome, though! :D

@Battler3797:
I would totally use Serperior, but the Dream World abilites aren't out yet :I And, to everyone, the reason I don't want to use the virtually "online-only" Pokemon stuff is because I don't want to get used to using it and then not be able to battle in real life... if that'll ever happen! XD But still, I like using more realistic sets (at least for this team!).

Anyway, I'll edit my original post with my changes when I get a chance :D I tried right after I posted this, but it logged me out before I finished so I lost everything, a.k.a., AN HOUR'S WORTH OF WRITING. God, Smogon, please fix that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)